Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

When can germano apply to be an Australian citizen? if he can be an aus citizen that'll free up a visa spot.

If we get rid of him that will free up a spot too.

TBH it doesnt matter how good you are if you never make it onto the pitch.

But then kingofhearts can't roll out Germano's injuries as an excuse for JVS's acute underperformance as a manager.

Lol i actually agree with Malloy though, if we could move him on this transfer window i would.

Unfortunately you can only move so many players, so on the chance he comes back after the break and play some good, injury-free football it would be worth looking into trying to make him an Aus citizen to free up a visa spot.

When can germano apply to be an Australian citizen? if he can be an aus citizen that'll free up a visa spot.

If we get rid of him that will free up a spot too.

TBH it doesnt matter how good you are if you never make it onto the pitch.

But then kingofhearts can't roll out Germano's injuries as an excuse for JVS's acute underperformance as a manager.

Lol i actually agree with Malloy though, if we could move him on this transfer window i would.

Unfortunately you can only move so many players, so on the chance he comes back after the break and play some good, injury-free football it would be worth looking into trying to make him an Aus citizen to free up a visa spot.

But that still doesn't solve the salary cap problem. No, one or more players has to go.

Before the game he played in City's post on Facebook said safuwan being there was part of a development opportunity with Singapore or something along those lines.

Doesn't speak to me that we are looking to sign the guy. Probably some sort of deal to bring Singaporean guys over to train with City and charge the Singapore FA for coaching services etc. Especially if they are looking at ways to reduce losses under ffp it would make sense wouldn't it?

That's what I thought, and said so earlier in the thread. If not this one, another one.

Murf thinks otherwise and that we are trialling him.

Who knows!

Before the game he played in City's post on Facebook said safuwan being there was part of a development opportunity with Singapore or something along those lines.

Doesn't speak to me that we are looking to sign the guy. Probably some sort of deal to bring Singaporean guys over to train with City and charge the Singapore FA for coaching services etc. Especially if they are looking at ways to reduce losses under ffp it would make sense wouldn't it?

That's what I thought, and said so earlier in the thread. If not this one, another one.

Murf thinks otherwise and that we are trialling him.

Who knows!

Its probably a case of 'sure come over and you can train with us' then its probably called a 'developement opportunity' to try and play down the chance (to him probably) that he might be signed.

All in all there issnt really anything stopping city signing him, so its as good as a trial.

• Like 1

If we are getting a lb from an a-league club, then we will get safuwan with the visa spot. I would prefer to get an aleague lb and safuwan than a euro lb. Then if Williams does leave we can get Franjic. Imagine this team:

Velaphi

Franjic Chapman Safuwan *A-league LB*

Mooy Paartalu Melling

Duff Kennedy Koren

Bench: Redmayne, Kisnorbo, Germano, Garuccio, Dugandzic

Highlight of the team, no Ramsay

Sst have on their Facebook that a red headed left back/ center back will move from Perth to an eastern seaboard club. Expect a press release tomorrow.

Could be clisby to us since we were chasing him before the season started

Edited by Dylan
  • Like 1

Sst have on their Facebook that a red headed left back/ center back will move from Perth to an eastern seaboard club. Expect a press release tomorrow.

Says "East Coast" club. Do we qualify as "East Coast?"

Yes.

Yes.

"East Coast" could be anyone A-League club other than Adelaide and Wellington 

Keeper Mark Birighitti has indicated he wants to leave during the transfer window and has received offers from rival A-League clubs, believed to be Melbourne City and Sydney FC, as well as abroad.

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/2817852/flores-set-for-us-move-as-others-consider-options/

We are the a league club with the greatest chance. He would be a number 2 in Sydney and most likely our number one. Oh and we a certain someone who has been dropped and happens to be from Newcastle.

Edited by Dylan

as much as i love tando, clear him after the end of season, bring in birighitti who is only improving as a keeper, and have redmayne as backup as he still has one year remaining on his contract after this season.

only issue with mark is if he keeps putting in decent performances then he will keep going away for socceroos camps leaving redmayne doing more work than we would all like him to!

What I don't get is why he is not the current Newcastle no 1.  Was there a dip in form bad enough to drop him, and if so will he recover?

The Jets appear to be on the verge of melt-down. The way they are going they will be lucky to continue without FFA intervention. I'd say Birighitti just wants out. 

I hope we can entice him to join us. We might be a bit short on what we can offer because of the salary cap, but I'd say players would look at us as being very stable financially for the long term, and that would be an attraction.

When's this alleged announcement about Clisby supposed to be coming?

What I don't get is why he is not the current Newcastle no 1. Was there a dip in form bad enough to drop him, and if so will he recover?

The Jets appear to be on the verge of melt-down. The way they are going they will be lucky to continue without FFA intervention. I'd say Birighitti just wants out.

I hope we can entice him to join us. We might be a bit short on what we can offer because of the salary cap, but I'd say players would look at us as being very stable financially for the long term, and that would be an attraction.

When's this alleged announcement about Clisby supposed to be coming? Not many clubs offer training with an epl club either, which apparently there is a group training session in the next few days with Manchester

Sst facebook said late today

Edited by Dylan

What I don't get is why he is not the current Newcastle no 1. Was there a dip in form bad enough to drop him, and if so will he recover?

When's this alleged announcement about Clisby supposed to be coming? Not many clubs offer training with an epl club either, which apparently there is a group training session in the next few days with Manchester

Sst facebook said late today

would be absolutely stoked if Birighetti came to us.  by far the best young keeper in the league.

i dont really see any other A League club going for him and offering first team opportunities on a regular basis.  the Mariners might but i cant see Reddy falling out of favour there easily.  

either way, i cant see another A League club offering better wages than us (even if restricted by available salary cap space).  Birighetti has gone overseas before so an option overseas is certainly the main competition for his signature.  the way i see it is it comes down to how quickly he wants to move.  the fact we can offer first team opportunities is a big help.

If we can throw Redmayne in as part of swap / mutually release and sign deal then all the better.

interesting about Clisby.  i do wonder how much he has been offered.  given he is reasonably young and after team team opportunities, i'd say we have got him somewhat cheaply (assuming its us that have signed him).

Not sold on Birighitti, decent shot stopper but no command of his area. Pretty much the same you get with Redders. There is a legitimate reason he's warming the pine behind Ben Kennedy. Not ever gonna win the league if he's your number 1 keeper.

Too many young Aussies get huge wraps on them playing for the junior national teams and never kick on, I put Birighitti in this category.

Not sold on Birighitti, decent shot stopper but no command of his area. Pretty much the same you get with Redders. There is a legitimate reason he's warming the pine behind Ben Kennedy. Not ever gonna win the league if he's your number 1 keeper.

Too many young Aussies get huge wraps on them playing for the junior national teams and never kick on, I put Birighitti in this category.

Agree...might as well call him Velaphitti  ^_^

I'd be pretty pleased if Melbourne City can snare Birighitti. He's played about 2 whole seasons for the Newcastle Jets, despite being only 23. He was regularly an Australian Youth International, and he even got a Socceroos cap in 2013. Made the A-League All-Star team alongside Eugene Galekovic at the end of last season and played against Juventus. And Birighitti has been well regarded by overseas clubs, and a move to Bundesliga side Bayer Leverkusen only seemed to fall through after they sacked coach Sami Hyypia.

And overall I simply rate Birighitti. He's consistently looked good when I've seen him play. And simply he's better than Redmayne and Velaphi.

One thing that might help the club's cause to sign Birighitti is that Birighitti changed agents last November to Vince Grella, who of course the club have a connection with.

I wouldn't read anything into him not playing at Newcastle. Birighitti really seems to have been angling for a move away from Newcastle since last season, ideally to Europe, and I think he's not played much for that reason. Chapman was in the same boat, not being played by Newcastle, and as we well know that isn't because Chapman is a bad or especially flawed player at all. I see Birighitti's situation as being pretty much identical to Chapman's. And above all this the Newcastle Jets are just a shambles right now, so I wouldn't take much stock of Newcastle's decision-making.

I'd rather keep Velaphi instead of Redmayne. Unfortunately Aloisi signed Redmayne until mid-2016 after Redmayne played a decent half season in the 2012-13 season (probably Redmayne's least bad season IMO), where the team finished equal last. It was especially stupid, not only because Aloisi gave the contract extension on a mere half of an A-League season (13 games), but because Redmayne was already contracted to mid-2014, so there was no real gain at all negotiating a long term deal at that point in time.

IMO Velaphi is simply a better, more rounded keeper than Redmayne. Add to that the fact that Velaphi is fine with being the no 2., and unlike many no. 2s he actually provides good competition for the no 1. And Velaphi is almost certainly on less than Redmayne, and indeed might be at or close to minimum wage. 

Clisby would be a pretty interesting signing. Melbourne City has 1 Youth-Senior contract left (with Melling and Marino taking up the other 2 spots), so conceivably Clisby could be signed on one of those deals. If he was signed on one of those contracts (which are outside the cap), I'd judge him to be a solid signing.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 3

saw that the Macedonian fella Kurtishi was released by Brisbane.  http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2015/01/15/brisbane-roar-releases-misfiring-striker-kurtishi 

would be pretty pissed off if we signed Kurtishi, but it did leave me wondering.  with all the talk of a certain Brisbane born David Williams wanting to leave us, i wonder if the Roar are gearing up to take him off our hands.  like or loath Williams, he does have a record of scoring in the A League (as we found a very inconsistent one but still, he can score).  

with Champions League coming up and a genuine lack of forwards in their line up, Williams might actually be a decent fit.  particularly since Brisbane only have one available visa spot (vacated by Kurtishi)

and before anyone starts, remember that many on here saw nothing in Kalmar remaining at City (and probably a little surprised WSW snared him). doesnt mean that Williams cant fit in else where particularly where the off season attacking recruits have failed to perform / have been cut (similar to Kalmar in the midfield at WSW).

in terms of his command of the 18 yard box, it doesnt help that he has been behind a very shite and very leaky Newcastle backline the last few years.  by all means, part of that does come down to Birighitti too.  however, i dont really see it as Birighetti being the issue - overall i think he has saved their bacon many more times than when he has cost it.  more than anything, i think playing in  bad side will over expose the flaws of a young keeper more than anything.

Edited by mattyh001

Clisby would be a pretty interesting signing. Melbourne City has 1 Youth-Senior contract left (with Melling and Marino taking up the other 2 spots), so conceivably Clisby could be signed on one of those deals. If he was signed on one of those contracts (which are outside the cap), I'd judge him to be a solid signing.

Clisby would be good cover for both cb and lb and he is left footed too so then we would technically have 4cb's two right foot and two left foot and jvs does have a knack at finding good defenders

Every professional keeper should have the ability and confidence to claim everything that enters the 6 yard box. Birighitti is apprehensive and either leaves it to his defenders or tries to punch. Unless he bulks up I cant see this ever changing and he'll be nothing more than a middle tier A-League keeper.

I'd be prepared to help Williams pack his shit and personally drive it to Brisbane if it means I don't have to watch him squandering chance after chance on a regular basis.

• Like 1

Would take Birighitti over Velaphi and Redders any day of the week, he was the emergency keeper for the Socceroos' World Cup campaign behind Ryan, Langerak and Galekovic. 

Newcastle is an excellent club at making even the best players look like shit and with all of the off-field drama taking place, I wouldn't be too concerned about the fact Kennedy has been starting ahead of him. 

Could see him thriving at our club and he's better than what we currently have.

• Like 1

Birighittis resume seems to be good, but let's not forget so was Mifsuds and many others that have passed through the club. What is the reason he hasn't been played as the number one keeper and what have his performances been like as of late when he has played? I'd imagine he has been involved in youth league matches.

Birigetti would improve us. So it's a yes for me. That simple.

Most keepers in this league have flaws, but the top clubs manage it. He's a better keeper hands down than what we have so get him in.

Clisby decent young Aussie player so depending on cost, like it. Natural left foot defenders don't grow on trees. How's his pace?

I was hearing Williams to CCM but that Brisbane decision could be interesting. He does call QLD home.

• Like 1

Birighitti would be a good signing, at the very least an improvement on what we have for now.

Clisby, again nothing really to lose here, can't be worse than what we have currently (nothing).

Kurtishi - LOL I said when they signed this guy that I didn't think he was any good, not surprised he has failed and is on his way. Hopefully they take Williams off our hands. TBH i'm not against Williams being here as a backup but I imagine his salary is high and so that's why he needs to go.

• Like 2

Birighittis resume seems to be good, but let's not forget so was Mifsuds and many others that have passed through the club. What is the reason he hasn't been played as the number one keeper and what have his performances been like as of late when he has played? I'd imagine he has been involved in youth league matches.

I think we've got to be realistic about what our options are. Unless we see some more significant departures, we're probably limited to signings like Birighitti would be for us, or like Kalmar was for the Wanderers: out of favour (and probably limited/flawed) players, who nevertheless would have a good chance of starting for their new team.

If we have little salary cap flexibility, as has been widely speculated, regular first team action in the positions that we are week is the biggest carrot we have for a prospective signing. And that isn't much of an incentive, if the player is already starting at his current club.

As far as I know, it hasn't been made 100% clear why Birighitti is not the Jets no 1 this season. The consensus among Jets supporters and others seems to be that Birighitti is keen to leave the club, and possibly agitating for a move, whilst Ben Kennedy (the current no 1) is a 27 year old local who's happy being at the Jets (he probably doesn't rate his chances elsewhere, as the much younger Birighitti ensured that Kennedy was on the bench for the Jets over the past 2 seasons).

Given that Jonny Steele, Sam Gallaway, Marcos Flores and the like have already negotiated a release from Newcastle mid-season this season, it is rather understandable that Birighitti is focusing on the long term interests of his career and is presently focusing on seeking a move away from the Jets, instead of fighting to be the Jets no 1. And as said at the start, it looks like Stubbins won't play Birighitti anyway, even though he's universally regarded as better than Kennedy, because Birighitti wants to leave. So Birghitti seemingly couldn't play his way into the no 1 position, even if his form was dazzling at training and so on.  

Don't know if Birighitti's playing in the NYL, or what his form's like there. I don't really think it matters though, as just like Chapman I reckon Birighitti's shown enough over the past few seasons to be a quality keeper at A-League level if he joins us. Like Chapman, he hasn't played regularly for a while, but like Chapman I believe we'd see a significant amount of quality if he joined us. IMO the Newcastle Jets just have a dysfunctional environment right now, so next to none of their players look good, and once players (e.g. Chapman, Birighitti) are taken out of that environment, then they are able to show some solid football talent that couldn't be consistently produced at the mess that is the Newcastle Jets right now.

Clisby decent young Aussie player so depending on cost, like it. Natural left foot defenders don't grow on trees. How's his pace?

When Ferguson brought Clisby into the Perth Glory senior team, it was reported that

Ferguson said Clisby would add pace to the club’s defensive stocks. 

Glory have also recruited local product Andrew Higgins, who joined the youth team after leaving English club Portsmouth. 

“We’ve always had our eye on Jack and every time I have watched him play in our youth team he’s been impressive,” Ferguson said. 

“Jack has a good range of passing, reads the game well, links up well and has very good speed. 

Perth fans also say of Clisby that he's got pace, and that's one of the reasons why he's played at fullback. Also he reputedly has a powerful free kick.

Clisby just sounds like a pretty solid all around defender. He actually played for Scottish SPL side St Johnstone when he was a teenager (rather briefly), and he won the award for being the best player in Western Australia's state league. And he can play at both LB and CB. It would be handy as well to have a left-footed CB, so conceivably in the centre of defence Clisby could play on the left (left CB) and Kisnorbo or Chapman, both right-footed, could play on the right (as right CB).

Overall I think signing Clisby from Perth would be akin to signing Melling from Adelaide. Adelaide had an abundance of midfield talent, so we were able to snare Melling. And right now Perth have a lot of very good defenders, so that's why I'm hopeful that Melbourne City might be able to land a good defender like Clisby.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 1

Just on recruitment overall this January window. IMO it would be great business if Melbourne City can sign fairly good players in two positions that need to be strengthened, such as GK (Birighitti) and CB or LB (Clisby). And if the club can sign 3 players in useful positions, such as GK, RB and CB or LB, I will consider it to be extraordinarily good business.

It should be remembered that both Clisby and Birighitti are contracted until the end of next season. There is very little incentive for A-League clubs to release players early (the only incentive is to get a few extra bucks inside the salary cup due to less wages), and indeed it is arguably against the interests of clubs, as it can strengthen their league rivals. So it would be pretty good business if the club can get either of Clisby or Birighitti this month.

I'd be pretty pleased if the club even just got 1 player in a position that needs to be strengthened (such as GK, LB, CB, RB), especially with Kennedy joining the team, and because Koren (who played his first 90 minutes in a while against Al Jazira last Sunday) and maybe Chapman will be as good as new players over the second half of the A-League season. But with the new ownership I'm pretty optimistic that the club can sign 2 new players. And given the contraints (salary cap) if the club somehow signs 3 players like Birighitti, Clisby and Franjic, then the club has massively overachieved and deserves lots of praise.

• Like 1

Just on recruitment overall this January window. IMO it would be great business if Melbourne City can sign fairly good players in two positions that need to be strengthened, such as GK (Birighitti) and CB or LB (Clisby). And if the club can sign 3 players in useful positions, such as GK, RB and CB or LB, I will consider it to be extraordinarily good business.

It should be remembered that both Clisby and Birighitti are contracted until the end of next season. There is very little incentive for A-League clubs to release players early (the only incentive is to get a few extra bucks inside the salary cup due to less wages), and indeed it is arguably against the interests of clubs, as it can strengthen their league rivals. So it would be pretty good business if the club can get either of Clisby or Birighitti this month.

I'd be pretty pleased if the club even just got 1 player in a position that needs to be strengthened (such as GK, LB, CB, RB), especially with Kennedy joining the team, and because Koren (who played his first 90 minutes in a while against Al Jazira last Sunday) and maybe Chapman will be as good as new players over the second half of the A-League season. But with the new ownership I'm pretty optimistic that the club can sign 2 new players. And given the contraints (salary cap) if the club somehow signs 3 players like Birighitti, Clisby and Franjic, then the club has massively overachieved and deserves lots of praise.

A lot of IFs there Murf - to get those three players in this transfer window would be exceptional, but unlikely in my opinion.

Here's why:

1. Unless Redders has found a new club (highly unlikely after his performances this season) Birighitti can only come in for Velaphi since Redymayne has another 1.5 seasons to go on his contract. Although Birighitti would be a slight improvement on TV, it'd be a shame to see TV go over Redmayne because up until his red card in the last game he was looking like the more likely No. 1 keeper. I don't think we have room for three keepers in the squad so it'd be a shame to see Velaphi and have Redmayne sitting on the bench earning a No.1 keeper salary.

2. Clisby is a very likely signing and it won't take much out of the salary cap, plus there have been rumours since early in the season that we were looking at him. He can probably come straight into the squad too and we won't have to move anyone on to do so...though I would like to see Ramsay sold off to some Malaysian club.

3. The signing of Franjic would have similar difficulties to the Birighitti signing but for a slightly different reason. This time instead of making room for him in the squad, we have to make room for him in the salary cap. The issue with this is that it may rely on having to move Williams on to another club to make that space (as rumoured). Having said that, we do not know just how much room there is left in the salary and we'd be paying Franjic for only half a season.

If the club for example had $300,000 left over (and there was a way of keeping Velaphi as No.2) they could pay Franjic $125k for the remainder of the season, Clisby would do well to get $50k and Birighitti might also settle for $75k since he's probably more concerned with getting game time as opposed to a big salary. This would leave $50k left over for emergencies...hopefully to pay out Ramsay's contract :up:

• Like 1

• jw1739 pinned this topic