Melbourne Football

kalmar done and dusted

drewmelbcity

or maybe he lives with no regrets

not everyone can regret a what would have been in life

some people accept life for what it is, he may just accept that his happy to see out his contract and go back to suburban football

You don't live with regret today - you live with regret tomorrow.

If he is happy to see out his contract and play NPL - then do the club, supporters ......and most importantly himself........... a favour and leave now.

Go and start pre-season with your new NPL club.

He is not being picked to play senior or youth football - so what is he actually doing with his time at the club??????????

Honouring a contract.

or maybe he lives with no regrets

not everyone can regret a what would have been in life

some people accept life for what it is, he may just accept that his happy to see out his contract and go back to suburban football

You don't live with regret today - you live with regret tomorrow.

If he is happy to see out his contract and play NPL - then do the club, supporters ......and most importantly himself........... a favour and leave now.

Go and start pre-season with your new NPL club.

He is not being picked to play senior or youth football - so what is he actually doing with his time at the club??????????

I'd practise 5 times a week for a few hours while enjoying life the rest of the time and getting paid well for it and being able to stay in Melbourne.

What if Newcastle have offered him a contract without the promise of football? There wouldn't be any point in going up there, I think he'd rather see out his contract here.

Just to change the tone a little on this...I wonder whether he will be included with the rest of the squad on the camp in the UAE?

Well the word is they want him shipped out by January window so I believe that would mean he would not attend.

But if his stance is to see out is contract they will probably make him go, has anyone seen training lately has he been taking the track?

Just to change the tone a little on this...I wonder whether he will be included with the rest of the squad on the camp in the UAE?

Well the word is they want him shipped out by January window so I believe that would mean he would not attend.

But if his stance is to see out is contract they will probably make him go, has anyone seen training lately has he been taking the track?

There was a photograph of him training with the others - posted a few days ago but I can't recall where.

You know you're on the wrong end of an argument, MarkN, when even I'm agreeing with Cadete on this one.

Wowee.

There is no way i am wrong. And a few posts on this topic agree with me.

And i am amazed at how many people would agree to staying in melb over reviving a fledgling a-league career for another club.

Seems odd to me.

Or maybe too many people have become complacent.

I would give my right arm if told i could have a second shot at the big leagues.

I believe Kalmar is holding out on an Asian contract is he rejected a Newcastle contract.

Edited by markn

You know you're on the wrong end of an argument, MarkN, when even I'm agreeing with Cadete on this one.

Wowee.

And i am amazed at how many people would agree to staying in melb over reviving a fledgling a-league career for another club.

Seems odd to me.

I would give my right arm if told i could have a second shot at the big leagues.

I believe Kalmar is holding out on an Asian contract is he rejected a Newcastle contract.

Have you ever had to work away from home for any reasonable length of time? It is beyond shit.

You go to work with your workmates. You eat and drink with your workmates. Then you go and sit on your ass in a hotel room by yourself and go to bed, ready to do it all over again the next day. You miss your family, you miss your partner, you miss your pets.

Why would you put yourself through this for the sake of a wage equivalent to that you would get working at a supermarket? For the dream of playing football? Bullshit. 

Wowee.

Seems odd to me.

I believe Kalmar is holding out on an Asian contract is he rejected a Newcastle contract. Kalmar isn't a European quality footballer. He isn't an Asian quality footballer. He is a squad player in the A League at best. Why not take some extra money to train less and dominate a lower league? As for why he's staying around, why wouldn't you hang around and get payed for the rest of the year??

• Like 1

Have you ever had to work away from home for any reasonable length of time? It is beyond shit.

You go to work with your workmates. You eat and drink with your workmates. Then you go and sit on your ass in a hotel room by yourself and go to bed, ready to do it all over again the next day. You miss your family, you miss your partner, you miss your pets.

Why would you put yourself through this for the sake of a wage equivalent to that you would get working at a supermarket? For the dream of playing football? Bullshit. 

Players all around the world move.  By 30 your football days are over.  After that it becomes a memory.  

If rumours about Newcastle are true then his dream is clearly not to be a footballer.  He clearly doesn't have the mental determination that we all had as children playing the sport.

If he doesn't have the dream to be a professional football then cut him now.  Give the spot to a young kid who dream football.

I feel sorry for Kalmar.  If an opportunity presents a man of years experience is telling him to keep the dream alive.  By 30, age will catch up and you will never be able to have the opportunity again.

If ones argument is only about money - and how Newcastle wages are comparative to a super market clerk, they one clearly doesn't have the thought process to understand the effects of sacrifice to line a dream.

There have been plenty of players join from / return from Europe at a lower wage just to keep the dream alive.  

Nathan Burns is one example - now he is a socceroo.

Berisha is another. Broish etc

Edited by markn

Wowee.

The Christmas miracle!

Hes probably already negotiated a contract with Oakleigh. Dumb cunts there will probably pay him mors than his current a league contract. Serious.

Edited by sheepdog

Players all around the world move.  By 30 your football days are over.  After that it becomes a memory.  

If rumours about Newcastle are true then his dream is clearly not to be a footballer.  He clearly doesn't have the mental determination that we all had as children playing the sport.

If he doesn't have the dream to be a professional football then cut him now.  Give the spot to a young kid who dream football.

I feel sorry for Kalmar.  If an opportunity presents a man of years experience is telling him to keep the dream alive.  By 30, age will catch up and you will never be able to have the opportunity again.

If ones argument is only about money - and how Newcastle wages are comparative to a super market clerk, they one clearly doesn't have the thought process to understand the effects of sacrifice to line a dream.

There have been plenty of players join from / return from Europe at a lower wage just to keep the dream alive.  

If we were to offload Kalmar early, I'd rather we did it along with Miller and tried to turn two surplus players into one player that could absolutely fill a role for us. As opposed to cutting one guy who won't get within a bull's roar of the first team to sign another.

Stop comparing international footballers with Nick fucking Kalmar. The bloke is shit and probably gave up the dream when he realised he wasn't good enough. Why move away from home to be a minimum wage squad player in Newcastle?

Wowee.

Seems odd to me.

Why would you put yourself through this for the sake of a wage equivalent to that you would get working at a supermarket? For the dream of playing football? Bullshit. I would. Markn clearly would, but I get not everyone is driven to achieve. A lot of people are happy to just go to work and go home and be comfortable that they are never quite sure why things happen in the world or why others get further ahead than them. That's ok too, doesn't make that type a bad person or anything but it does make them the type our club could do without right now, we've had way too much of this to date.

Wowee.

Seems odd to me.

Why would you put yourself through this for the sake of a wage equivalent to that you would get working at a supermarket? For the dream of playing football? Bullshit. I would. Markn clearly would, but I get not everyone is driven to achieve. A lot of people are happy to just go to work and go home and be comfortable that they are never quite sure why things happen in the world or why others get further ahead than them. That's ok too, doesn't make that type a bad person or anything but it does make them the type our club could do without right now, we've had way too much of this to date.

Every single person on this forum would agree we can do without Nick Kalmar. He is contracted, we can't just cut him.

I think it's circumstancial. If he's offered first eleven football or game time then you could question why he wouldn't take it but if he's not garunteed to play then it's a big roll of the dice to relocate yourself for nothing considering he lives at home at the moment and things are probably convenient for him.

How are your examples of EPL players and A-League International Marquees at all relevant??? :droy:

This is situation where a bloke does not want to live in bloody Newcastle away from his family and friends to train his arse off for only limited game time and a wage that is not only less than what the $57k that the average aussie earns but a fair bit less than what he would earn doing less work as a Semi Pro in Melbourne with a Part Time Job.

Like I said before he is a Person entitled to better his life and wage as well as a bloody Footballer FFS.

Did you even read my post?

What are you talking about a .............. "How are your examples of EPL players and A-League International Marquees at all relevant???"

If you read it, my post focuses on players who are playing for clubs while their families reside in another area. 

Of interest Josh Kennedy was playing in Japan while his wife and kids were here in Australia.  Players all over the world have to leave their family in one town/city/country to play elsewhere.

Even Posh Spice didn't move to Paris.

Is Newcastle a bad club?  It must have been after it gave Mark Milligan his first taste, and of late Brilliante, Tagart, Goodwin ..................

Bad Club?????? - Maybe a bad Post.

You can always look back on a life that was - but you can never look back on a life that could-have been.

To me, he will only be remembers for that one goal against Newcastle on a suburban football pitch.

If he chose family over a revived a-league career then he will regret this decision for the rest of his life.

Comparing David beckhams predicament to nick kalmar. Fmd

• Like 1

I think it's circumstancial. If he's offered first eleven football or game time then you could question why he wouldn't take it but if he's not garunteed to play then it's a big roll of the dice to relocate yourself for nothing considering he lives at home at the moment and things are probably convenient for him.

This.

If Kalmar goes to Newcastle and doesn't play, then it's a bad career move for him. Better for him to stay at Melbourne City until the end of the season and move on, rather than move on from 1 club (Melbourne City) because he's not playing, to end up at another club (Newcastle) and not play, and perhaps get moved on again at the end of the season.

So game time and what sort of football Kalmar would (or wouldn't play) at Newcastle is the big unknown.

Unfortunately it doesn't help Melbourne City with Kalmar sticking around, with him not playing/contributing to the team, and the team having so many other impressive midfielders. But I can understand why from Kalmar's point of view, solely looking at what's good for his career, why he might decide to stay at our club rather than go off to a club like the Newcastle Jets where he may not play.

Edited by Murfy1

Wowee.

Seems odd to me.

Its got nothing to do with being driven to achieve. Lots of achievers don't pursue things that they are clearly not capable of doing.

Tbh it probably borders on stupidity to keep pursuing something that isn't going to happen.

He has the rest of his life to think about career wise, past his playing age. He isn't going to get a cushy job as a tv pundit. Going to Newcastle to be a bit part player on minimum wage may full well be detrimental to his future after football.

Its not like he is some whiz kid who could be off to europe if he put in the hard yards.

• Like 1

Wowee.

Seems odd to me.

I believe Kalmar is holding out on an Asian contract is he rejected a Newcastle contract. Have you ever had to work away from home for any reasonable length of time? It is beyond shit.

Its got nothing to do with being driven to achieve. Lots of achievers don't pursue things that they are clearly not capable of doing.

Tbh it probably borders on stupidity to keep pursuing something that isn't going to happen.

He has the rest of his life to think about career wise, past his playing age. He isn't going to get a cushy job as a tv pundit. Going to Newcastle to be a bit part player on minimum wage may full well be detrimental to his future after football.

Its not like he is some whiz kid who could be off to europe if he put in the hard yards.

Mr Malloy you clearly have forgotten about all the relevant examples Markn listed of Socceroos, Superstars and Spice Girls. :up:

Edited by cadete
  • Like 1

If I was him I'd be looking at a move to Asia. Thailand, Malaysia ect. He is the kind of player who would dominate there. Watched a fair bit of football while travelling through there. The teams all set up well defensively but allow so much time in the middle of the park that a player of Kalmars ilk (slow midfielder with zero defensive work rate, but decent creatively and able to open up defences if given time on the ball) are probably way more in demand. On top of that you'd undoubtedly be able to attract more than 50k a weeks wages.

• Like 1

This.

If Kalmar goes to Newcastle and doesn't play, then it's a bad career move for him. Better for him to stay at Melbourne City until the end of the season and move on, rather than move on from 1 club (Melbourne City) because he's not playing, to end up at another club (Newcastle) and not play, and perhaps get moved on again at the end of the season.

So game time and what sort of football Kalmar would (or wouldn't play) at Newcastle is the big unknown.

Unfortunately it doesn't help Melbourne City with Kalmar sticking around, with him not playing/contributing to the team, and the team having so many other impressive midfielders. But I can understand why from Kalmar's point of view, solely looking at what's good for his career, why he might decide to stay at our club rather than go off to a club like the Newcastle Jets where he may not play.

I just think that simply the fact that the Jets are (apparently) interested in him screams out that they would at least want to give him the opportunity to earn his spot in the side. Considering his age (not old, but getting to the 'if he was going to be a quality A-League player, he would have made his mark by now' stage), I don't really understand why they'd even give him a second thought, if they were just looking at him as strictly a youth squad player.

Kalmar had the potential to be something special but unfortuantly he spent most of his younger years being injured. I don't see any potential like sasa ognevoski to be a late bloomer and go overseas, even if Kalmar was to go to newy and string some games together.

I don't know why its so hard for you to understand markn that he knows that his past it, and he'd rather earn good money playing in the local league then go interstate to sit on the bench for minimum wage. 

He's been told he has no future at City and Newcastle were willing to offer him a position at their club. Its like your wife telling you she doesn't love you anymore but you're happy to sleep in the spare room because its convenient. Get to Newcastle cunt and at least have a crack as slaying some sluts.

• Like 5

He's been told he has no future at City and Newcastle were willing to offer him a position at their club. Its like your wife telling you she doesn't love you anymore but you're happy to sleep in the spare room because its convenient. Get to Newcastle cunt and at least have a crack as slaying some sluts.

who told you of my marital status,?

I didn't think anyone knew that I sleep in a separate room from my wife

who told you of my marital status,?

I didn't think anyone knew that I sleep in a separate room from my wife

its a win win for me.