Melbourne Football

MVFC v MCFC - The Derby! R3

Baka1

Sick and tired of hearing people saying they want to leave, if you want to leave then go. FACT is man city took over our club, SAVED it some would say. Why on earth people are against NEW fans coming in is beyond me, Considering last few seasons we were the laughing stock of the league for fan numbers. I loved heart. I loved going to the games. BUT reality is that's gone now and a new chapter has begun. If you don't want to be on board now then it is your loss.

• Like 2

Sick and tired of hearing people saying they want to leave, if you want to leave then go. FACT is man city took over our club, SAVED it some would say. Why on earth people are against NEW fans coming in is beyond me, Considering last few seasons we were the laughing stock of the league for fan numbers. I loved heart. I loved going to the games. BUT reality is that's gone now and a new chapter has begun. If you don't want to be on board now then it is your loss.

Because they're a bunch of disrespectful pricks who will go as quickly as they came, unlike most of us who have invested time money and emotions over several years.

Do CFG think that 10k members signed because of Man City Blue?

They are delusional if they believe that.  Take the old Heart fans out and they'd have maybe 2 k members that are actually new to the club, if that.

• Like 3

RUINED it others might say. If you don't want to be on board now then it is also the club's loss (this is worth remembering. CFG knew they would turn some fans away with their decisions.)

There's nothing wrong with either viewpoint really. Neither are based on pure logic, and when emotions get involved there's rarely a single correct way of looking at things.

Watching the replay (first half only) we were actually very good, decent goal scoring chances were about 10-3 in our favour.

Between Berisha's goal to make 2-2 and the half time whistle kisnorbo had a header on target the came off leijers arm. Give us Ben Williams it's 3-2 at the break and a different game.

But things happened as they did, they came out wih a bang and it was game over by the 46th minute.

This club has never had consistency or tactical prowess, which to me is on the coaching staff and on field leaders (which we lack)

Also Redman :droy: I'll take a new keeper over a new LB, Striker or coach! Worst thing is he's still yet to have a proper vito mannone moment this season.

Edited by billyheart

I think we all need to be a bit more patient and not threaten to leave as soon as things don't go to plan. The rate of improvement is slow, but I will reserve my judgement of CFG and their plans for the club until they have been in for two seasons. I'm a fourth year member and I have been to almost every home game, I love the Heart and I am excited about our new identity going forward. Just remember that we have broken all membership records and how excited we were in those first couple of weeks! 

Yes the football has not improved a lot, yes they should invest more in supporter relations, but the change will come, gradually. Aren't their executives here to oversee the start of construction for our new training base?

What is it that makes us such a fickle bunch? Until we have a full active bay with dedicated people jumping up and down chanting, we can't say that we have supported the club and threaten to leave. 

It's almost like if you're not happy that we're not Heart anymore leave, if you're not happy that the club was born as Heart and is now City, leave.

• Like 1

Because they're a bunch of disrespectful pricks who will go as quickly as they came, unlike most of us who have invested time money and emotions over several years.

Do CFG think that 10k members signed because of Man City Blue?

They are delusional if they believe that.  Take the old Heart fans out and they'd have maybe 2 k members that are actually new to the club, if that.

CFG will look at the membership numbers - 10,202 vs. 7,315 - and they will say that on balance they have made the right decisions so far. You and I might not agree with CFG, but the numbers speak for themselves.

I would suggest that we leave assessments of what supporters we have until later in the season. I don't think an away derby with a 43,000+ crowd is representative of the City membership or the crowds that we will get to our home matches.

Edited by jw1739

I think we all need to be a bit more patient and not threaten to leave as soon as things don't go to plan. The rate of improvement is slow, but I will reserve my judgement of CFG and their plans for the club until they have been in for two seasons. I'm a fourth year member and I have been to almost every home game, I love the Heart and I am excited about our new identity going forward. Just remember that we have broken all membership records and how excited we were in those first couple of weeks! 

Yes the football has not improved a lot, yes they should invest more in supporter relations, but the change will come, gradually. Aren't their executives here to oversee the start of construction for our new training base?

What is it that makes us such a fickle bunch? Until we have a full active bay with dedicated people jumping up and down chanting, we can't say that we have supported the club and threaten to leave. 

It's almost like if you're not happy that we're not Heart anymore leave, if you're not happy that the club was born as Heart and is now City, leave.

hear what you are saying and certainly agree that people shouldnt be losing their shirts yet, but ...

this has the feeling of being the same shite.  for newer fans, well they get what they paid for without looking back over the last 4 years.  they bought into a new outlook and should be willing to actually (a.) get involved, (b.) understand that the changes will take time, (c.) true membership is about the long hall - otherwise just buy a bloody 5 game pass.  it's noone else's decision but their own to invest in a membership, etc.  

for the members who saw the shite pre-City (particularly under JA), its a hard pill to take.  my general vibe from the last 8 months is that (and you say it quite rightly too) the club could have done bucket loads more to engage their fans.  as such what the fuck do people expect when the club is putting out this rubbish?  the disengaged fans to shit purple sherbet and remain in a happy heart filled stupor.

not meaning for this to come across as a dig, benzema.  i think you actually see both sides to it, particularly with older v newer members.  and thats where the problem is.

Watching the replay (first half only) we were actually very good, decent goal scoring chances were about 10-3 in our favour.

Between Berisha's goal to make 2-2 and the half time whistle kisnorbo had a header on target the came off leijers arm. Give us Ben Williams it's 3-2 at the break and a different game.

But things happened as they did, they came out wih a bang and it was game over by the 46th minute.

This club has never had consistency or tactical prowess, which to me is on the coaching staff and on field leaders (which we lack)

Also Redman :droy: I'll take a new keeper over a new LB, Striker or coach! Worst thing is he's still yet to have a proper vito mannone moment this season.

this.

all i can say is that is the same old heart.  go well for the first 45, go to puss in the second.

the only thing i can see as a positive is that in comparison to the other week's, we had an off night against a top two side who didnt let up on our mistakes.  against both Sydney and Newcastle, we did find a way to get into it who sadly will be leaving after Friday.  massive concern

• Like 2

All the numbers show is that they have more members than last year.

It doesn't tell them who those members are: ex-heart members or new members.  I'd venture that most are ex-heart members at some point.  What is interesting is how many will be happy to stay on if it no longer feels like their old club.

I'm still on the fence TBH.  The first home game was the biggest attended non-derby that I'd been to, but I'd never felt more emotionally-distant than i did for that game.

• Like 1

For all who want to leave the club.

There are 9 sets of fans who will be disappointed every year. In your opinions, they should all go somewhere else as soon as you don't win everything.

If that was the way of the world, then no-one would bother.

I guess some of the deserters also refuse to watch their kids play sport on the weekend if they are not at the top of the competition or criticise their children when they only come second in maths in class.

Do we really want pseudo supporters anyway? One day Melbourne City will beat Melbourne Victory. It might be this year, it might be next year. If you are a real supporter you will cheer every week, you may be disappointed, but you will come back for more and keep cheering.

Edited by Ray
  • Like 2

I have been luke warm to this city takeover.

Saturday night, after five years of loyal support for the red and white, my two sons have announced that they are now V*****y supporters and want 'tard shirts and scarves.

City said we would have distinctive home and away colours and David Villa for ten games. Clearly we have been misled on both fronts.

The attitude of the new City supporters on Saturday night made me feel like an alien in supporting the club I have supported since it's birth. I don't want to be supporting a plastic mini-me Manchester city and the use of the blue strip along with the Heart chants being drowned out was appalling from both the club and supporters. If Melbourne is in fact blue and white then it is the Visitors who hold the claim.

To their credit, the other side of Melbourne have their own identity and it was more appealing to my sons as well as my friend I took along who is also now a V*****y supporter.

I still have my membership and I am hoping I regain my passion for the Heart.

Our draw card will be our football quality and star players. We know we will get the players, we just need to get the football right. And if we did by this stage we would then see a healthy crowd this fri night.

This club has the potential to offer something different than what the tards do. Like the attributes that distinguish Barca from Real Madrid (minus the history)

Barca - people's club, working class, possession football: preached by Melb V

Real Madrid - heavy investment, star quality, winning mentality: CFG standards

Just our winning mentality needs to develop sooner rather than later.

Edited by fiz.heart

I have been luke warm to this city takeover.

Saturday night, after five years of loyal support for the red and white, my two sons have announced that they are now V*****y supporters and want 'tard shirts and scarves.

City said we would have distinctive home and away colours and David Villa for ten games. Clearly we have been misled on both fronts.

The attitude of the new City supporters on Saturday night made me feel like an alien in supporting the club I have supported since it's birth. I don't want to be supporting a plastic mini-me Manchester city and the use of the blue strip along with the Heart chants being drowned out was appalling from both the club and supporters. If Melbourne is in fact blue and white then it is the Visitors who hold the claim.

To their credit, the other side of Melbourne have their own identity and it was more appealing to my sons as well as my friend I took along who is also now a V*****y supporter.

I still have my membership and I am hoping I regain my passion for the Heart.

Completely agree Peter, Im feeling more disgruntled and isolated from this club I once loved than ever before.This.

Peter to your credit this is exactly what you predcicted and it is exactly what has happened.

It was so frustrating being at the game on saturday, without the old heart fans there would be no identity for the club at all.

Im outMost hypocritical username. Ever.

I should probably expalin myself a lot better,

I was very upset to see the heart go and particularly due to the experiences and people I had met along the way.

I chose not to change the username with the change of colours etc, but yeah it definately comes across as hypocritical now.

Saturday nights game was my first under the new era and sure, we lost and so my views may come across as sadistic, but I really felt a lack of passion from the players and the supporters base in general.

Im quite divided now though as I do have a season membership (I bought it as it was very cheap for me) and ultimately I am still quite into the a-league.

Apologies If my post has offended anyone or comes across as pessimistic, but its just my opinion and as jw1739 has pointed out, the membership numbers alone show that the handful of outraged supporters were never going to be enough to cause an issue.

Edited by True Until I die

After reading some of these posts here recently I thought I must be wrong in my understanding of what a supporter is...

supporter

səˈpɔːtə/

noun

noun: supporter; plural noun: supporters

a person who is actively interested in and wishes success for a particular sports team.

Nope, just what I thought. Must be that we have members on this forum who don't fit the definition. Which makes me wonder what they get out of being here, surely whinging about a team they dont support doesn't make them happy.

Threats to stop "supporting" the club or professing stories of those you know who have decided not to "support" the club anymore are laughable and you're picking the wrong audience, jog on, you won't find anyone here begging for you to return.

And before any sensitive types misread what I've just posted, critisism of the club is a form of support and constructive critisism is and should be welcome.

Edited by Cinnamon

All the numbers show is that they have more members than last year.

It doesn't tell them who those members are: ex-heart members or new members.  I'd venture that most are ex-heart members at some point.  What is interesting is how many will be happy to stay on if it no longer feels like their old club.

I'm still on the fence TBH.  The first home game was the biggest attended non-derby that I'd been to, but I'd never felt more emotionally-distant than i did for that game.

Old club feeling will go when we actually start winning a lot of games and I think we will gain more members when we do win! In all seriousness I do understand what you mean by old club feeling, but you will find that many of us are still there supporting the club week in week out. 

I'm a first year active member and perhaps what I need to do is come to the pub before the game and meet many of you, something I haven't really done so far. Maybe this will give us more of a sense of common identity. I will be there on Friday at the Imp. 

I can also see how many ex-Heart members don't feel that emotional connection, that will take time. My advice would be to not feel angry towards the new members who have not earned their stripes, there is nothing to be gained from that. What we as Melburnians need to keep reminding ourselves and everyone that this is meant to be an inclusive supporter movement. I think that message does not come across. I didn't come across at the first home game at all.

not meaning for this to come across as a dig, benzema.  i think you actually see both sides to it, particularly with older v newer members.  and thats where the problem is.

Didn't come across as a dig at all, completely understand the sentiment. But at the end of the day, we can't sit here and start making judgements about who is more of a supporter than others, this is what it comes down to. I was myself very disappointed at how the club managed the transition in terms of fan relations, all that we get really is a keychain that says Xth year member. A bit more recognition would have been nice. I understand that the dilemma is about making us feel special vs alienating newcomers; OR treating everyone the same and making us feel like we're not valued even if we have been so loyal.

It is a tough question and I would have expected the management team to come up with an elegant solution to make us all happy. They could have tried at least, but they are not good managers.

Like I said my earlier post, we should try to be as inclusive as possible and as supporters show leadership where the club hasn't shown anything.

Just as on the field we need a few positions filled, so to in the terrace. This season was always going to be a transition from old to new era, hopefully it isn't too painful. After last 2 weeks I am really confident in the terrace getting things together a bit quicker than on field, but eventually both will be something we all are happy with.

I'm just annoyed that it was Blue & White Vs White & Blue at the Derby!

The derbies were always Red Vs Blue! Just like AC Milan Vs Inter, Man Utd Vs Man City, Labor Vs Liberals! 

it's an AWAY game so wear our frickin AWAY kit FFS!!

Imagine Celtic not wearing the Hoops at Ibrox. :droy:

Here's something that annoys the crap out of me. We should NOT have the navy stripe, it should be a red stripe. As much as I am open to the new direction, this is just an insult. Maybe we need to get a petition going about this. 

Will not make one iota of difference.

We'd playing in solid sky blue if not for Sydney jacking up over it.

For CFG, this purchase is 90% about spreading the Man City brand over the world.  That means common identity for Man City, us and NYC and that means sky blue is the color.  Red would be last on their list of colors given that they're competing with Man U and Liverpool for overseas shirt sales.

Here's something that annoys the crap out of me. We should NOT have the navy stripe, it should be a red stripe. As much as I am open to the new direction, this is just an insult. Maybe we need to get a petition going about this. 

Will not make one iota of difference.

We'd playing in solid sky blue if not for Sydney jacking up over it.

For CFG, this purchase is 90% about spreading the Man City brand over the world.  That means common identity for Man City, us and NYC and that means sky blue is the color.  Red would be last on their list of colors given that they're competing with Man U and Liverpool for overseas shirt sales.

I wouldn't be surprised if we have a majority sky blue kit in a few seasons. Sydney will get over it

I'm just annoyed that it was Blue & White Vs White & Blue at the Derby!

The derbies were always Red Vs Blue! Just like AC Milan Vs Inter, Man Utd Vs Man City, Labor Vs Liberals! 

it's an AWAY game so wear our frickin AWAY kit FFS!!

Apart from saturdays result, this really didn't sit well with me...

• Like 1

I know things have already been said-what am i about to say, but i would like to voice my opinion on the matter.

After all this has happened, i was happy that it was changed to Melbourne City due to the fact that i wanted the name from the start.

I believe things have to grow on people. Going to the Newcastle game and seeing the white strips being worn kind of lost me. I still definitely feel City is connected to Heart BUT i feel as though we are in limbo in terms of identity, though the connection is there seeing people wear the Heart merch to the games. 

It has to grow on the fans and it will, whether you stay and support the club or not.

PS- just quickly, believe that the active support/fans should have been named something to do with the name 'Heart' especially if you're going to keep chanting the 'Heart' on game day.

all the sooks who want heart back, build a bridge, you're so naive. we would have sank so you can be thankful to CFG

It's people like you who make us wish we had Heart back in the first place, who are you to come in here and tell everyone they should be thankful to an organisation who is using us for their broader financial investment? Do you think CFG acquired us because they love Melbourne football supporters? 

Many on here still identify with the Heart, so either be more accepting or kindly fuck off.

And you think the previous Heart owners didn't use us for the exact same reason? After all, they are the ones who sold the club for millions of dollars to CFG. 5 years owning the club, and what did they do apart from "founding" it? No silverware to show for.

I am not siding anyone in here but merely stating the fact. I do however acknowledge that there is 'Heart' before 'City'. Proud of our short history. One of our nicknames should be 'The Hearts' IMO and red, white and sky blue should be our colours too.

Either way, I can't wait to see this club grow and already the Tards are jealous of us, the very least cause we have better colours and badge! 

NB: We are not the only football club in the world that changes the name and colours etc. It is a natural progression of any football club. 

Edited by raw10
  • Like 1

already the Tards are jealous of us

I can almost promise you that after the weekend, they aren't. 

Success later down the track only matters to me if I feel like I'm a part of that success, and despite being a member I don't think I currently would. Hopefully that changes at some point.

all the sooks who want heart back, build a bridge, you're so naive. we would have sank so you can be thankful to CFG

It's people like you who make us wish we had Heart back in the first place, who are you to come in here and tell everyone they should be thankful to an organisation who is using us for their broader financial investment? Do you think CFG acquired us because they love Melbourne football supporters? 

Many on here still identify with the Heart, so either be more accepting or kindly fuck off.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

And whats this bullshit about heart would've sank if it wasn't for CFG? We were always breaking even (not including player sales) so unless you have some other stats to back it up stop talking shit.

• Like 5

:clap: :clap: :clap:

And whats this bullshit about heart would've sank if it wasn't for CFG? We were always breaking even (not including player sales) so unless you have some other stats to back it up stop talking shit.

Source? I thought that we were always breaking even including player sales. Also it is one thing to break even while your players are taking ice baths in rubbish bins and are training somewhere else every week...

Fixed.

• Like 1

A disappointing game! Was there with a bunch of friends and family (all Victory supporters) for my birthday.
I couldn't live it down all night  :lol: 

On this 'old v new' argument... I started following Heart last season and then was even more on board when it was announced we'd be City.
Appreciate the old and embrace the new, we as fans need to start working towards a unified front. Say what you will about Victory, but their atmosphere and active support killed it. Remember history but don't be bogged down by what was.
It will take a few wins, and for sure it will take time too. We're still in a transition phase. Stick by it, and stick by each other!

• Like 2