Melbourne Football

The JvS thread

Tesla

6 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Key words. And it's been obvious in every match I've seen this season. If we can see it, surely CFG heavies can too? And if they can, why don't they pick up the phone and tell van 't Schip to fix it?

CFG have their thing about wanting to win in an attacking and entertaining way, which i think is part of the issue. Not that i have anything against it, it's just that there are certain times and certain games where that should not be prioritised over simply winning the game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pete Heartspur said:

CFG have their thing about wanting to win in an attacking and entertaining way, which i think is part of the issue. Not that i have anything against it, it's just that there are certain times and certain games where that should not be prioritised over simply winning the game.

Exactly this, and there's no better example than Man City themselves. The commentator after the game last nigh was good and he also pointed out how Man City play such an attacking game in Europe against top opponents and fall short. Seems we will also be a part of that system unless they change. FWIW I am loving how we play, but some common sense must prevail for moments and games like last night. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, n i k o said:

Exactly this, and there's no better example than Man City themselves. The commentator after the game last nigh was good and he also pointed out how Man City play such an attacking game in Europe against top opponents and fall short. Seems we will also be a part of that system unless they change. FWIW I am loving how we play, but some common sense must prevail for moments and games like last night

Absolutely spot on. With the outs and the players coming back from injury, a more defensive or 'protective' of our backline, formation should have been used. 

1 minute ago, wombegongal said:

Honestly I love the guns blazing approach. When we have played turtle ball and won ugly every second arm chair commentator is incensed that we didn't score 5 and boss the game. Honestly nothing pleases people on here.

Don't pay too much attention to the arm chair comments.

Person 1 wants the coach sacked because he didn't do x.

The coach does x and person 2 wants him sacked as a result.

Heaps of history of that on this forum.

like what you like.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wombegongal said:

Honestly I love the guns blazing approach. When we have played turtle ball and won ugly every second arm chair commentator is incensed that we didn't score 5 and boss the game. Honestly nothing pleases people on here.

I have been saying for years, if we want to attract people to the club we need to 1- not be borning and 2- win. One out of two aint going to cut it.

If we have to lose i would rather it be an exciting game like last night but that scoreline was very very flattering for us. We were comprehensivly beaten and had it not been for individuals pulling rabbits out of hats it would have been a disaster.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wombegongal said:

I just want to win. A good team puts the foot on the oppositions throat when they can dominate, but a good team also realises when they've got a battle on their hands, adjusts as necessary, and finds a way to win. "All guns blazing" means you can quickly run out of ammunition.

3 points always shuts up most critics - no matter how it is achieved. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, n i k o said:

So now with Pep basically confirmed as coach for Manchester will we keep Pellegrini in the City family and bring him to us? :ph34r:

I actually think that JVS will definitly be gone at seasons end now that this has happend. Makes too much sense, all three clubs starting anew.

7 hours ago, n i k o said:

So now with Pep basically confirmed as coach for Manchester will we keep Pellegrini in the City family and bring him to us? :ph34r:

He will have offers from England, Spain and Italy so will not happen.. but yeah, I´d love to see him in Melbourne B)

That was some of the most inept coaching I've ever witnessed. We were continually getting raped out wide with our wing backs too high up the pitch. Switch back to the 4-2-3-1 would've given us more protection out wide by simply pushing Malik into the middle and putting Fitzgerald on the right. If it wasn't for the individual brilliance of Fornaroli, Mooy and Novillo we'd probably be the worst team in the league.

1 minute ago, mus-28 said:

That was some of the most inept coaching I've ever witnessed. We were continually getting raped out wide with our wing backs too high up the pitch. Switch back to the 4-2-3-1 would've given us more protection out wide by simply pushing Malik into the middle and putting Fitzgerald on the right. If it wasn't for the individual brilliance of Fornaroli, Mooy and Novillo we'd probably be the worst team in the league.

If it wasn't for the ineptitude of JVS we would probably be the best team in the league.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, mus-28 said:

But that's what he did. Fitzy game on at right wing.

Anyway for me first it was throwing away the cup and now it's the bizarre January transfer deals.

Come on CFG how much do you need to see.

7 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

But that's what he did. Fitzy game on at right wing.

Anyway for me first it was throwing away the cup and now it's the bizarre January transfer deals.

Come on CFG how much do you need to see.

Prior to that and throughout the first half a change should've been made, it was pretty clear it was a weakness. Be it Franjic moving to the wing and Retre to RB or vice versa.

1 hour ago, n i k o said:

No one played well today. Can't blame JVS for the players performances. Preseason will allow the coaching staff to strengthen those areas we need. 

I have to contest that ; the manager's job is to have the players at peak physical and psychological levels, it's his job to have them "intune" for the match

if they all played badly then they were not "ready" for the match , like most top level sports, it's not just physical fitness and stamina that win a match/ trophy

its the the top two inches of the head that play an important part

our guys didn't use that , and by the looks of things were given either no instructions or the wrong instructions

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Sorry @japiedog I do agree. I guess sometimes I get it mixed up which week I'm pro JVS staying or JVS sacked. Depends on the result of the match I guess, although today I messed up. Sack JVS. 

no problem @niko  sometimes JVS is the messiah , the last couple he's been a very naughty boy

2 minutes ago, japiedog said:

no problem @niko  sometimes JVS is the messiah , the last couple he's been a very naughty boy

In all seriousness though, the guy must be gotten rid of, win or loss. I have little doubt with the players we have we'd be in this position if not better with better, more competent manager. 

• Like 1

I read today that we are the only team in the competition this season not to come from behind and salvage at least one point. Also that we've given up no fewer than 11 points from being in front on the scoreboard.
IMO these two facts show that there is a complete lack of bottle in the squad.
I agree with the comment above that it is the manager's job to have the squad in peak physical and psychological condition for each match. No-one else's. As for tactics, well as far as I can see we are being outplayed every week now. I don't care what formation formation we play, but for goodness sakes don't push our last line of defence so far up the park. We could be playing 1-9-1, but if the 9 are all on the half-way line then we're still going to ship goals every week.
Bitterly disappointed with today's result. We can change the squad all we like, but with van 't Schip there we will never win anything. Please let us get a new manager for next season who can knock this club into shape.

• Like 2