Melbourne Football

The JvS thread

Tesla

I'm surprised that it's even being discussed that he might have turned a corner. One swallow does not a summer make. Is Steve McClaren suddenly a good coach for making Newcastle beat Liverpool and Spurs? Of course not. Regardless of the result in the Derby, JVS is not a manager for the future. 

• Like 2

still has to do better than a semi to show any progress from last season.

we were hanging on by a thread in the second half.

One notable improvement was the desire i saw in the players. It was definitely a game they were prepare to do anything to win! JVS' changed management style? Who knows. But who cares WE WON THE DERBY!!!!!

2 hours ago, Falastur said:

I'm surprised that it's even being discussed that he might have turned a corner. One swallow does not a summer make. Is Steve McClaren suddenly a good coach for making Newcastle beat Liverpool and Spurs? Of course not. Regardless of the result in the Derby, JVS is not a manager for the future. 

A MEN to that.

Those saying he's too inconsistent are dead wrong.  JVS is remarkable consistent about his teams having mickey mouse defending, lacking off the ball movement, playing iot back to the keeper because there is no option to go forward, mentally weak, conceding on the edge of half time or full time.

The derby win means nothing other than JVS relying on individuals like Sorenson pulling MOM performances out of their backside.

36 minutes ago, NuggetsMcGreggor said:

still has to do better than a semi to show any progress from last season.

we were hanging on by a thread in the second half.

One notable improvement was the desire i saw in the players. It was definitely a game they were prepare to do anything to win! JVS' changed management style? Who knows. But who cares WE WON THE DERBY!!!!!

I reckon you're right and what has changed is the attitude of the new players, Novillo, Bruno and Sorenson and this has rubbed off onto the rest of the team. The JvS 'mediocrity' is still there lying beneath the surface but right now thank geezus it's being held in check by the positivity and drive from our new recruits. Loved how the players interacted with the City supporters at the end.

Edited by HEARTinator

About the only way we can tempt all our good players to stay next season (including Mooy) is to offer them a top coach who can help them all progress their game. JVS isn't the man for that. There are undoubtedly some players who do very well under him but even more go backwards and he just hasn't shown the man management nor tactical ability to move the team further.

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Falastur said:

AZ fans might disagree

Why he does not have us closing down the ball carrier is so frustrating to watch, we allowed Victory far to much time on the ball last night. You may be able to sit back and allow sides like Perth and Central Coast to run at you, waiting for them to lose possession and win it back but you cannot afford to give a side like Victory that much time. With a tougher run of fixtures coming up we must work on our pressure and play at a higher tempo when we don't have the ball.

28 minutes ago, Jozzy said:

Why he does not have us closing down the ball carrier is so frustrating to watch, we allowed Victory far to much time on the ball last night.

This

Main example being Partaluu last night laying off the Victory player allowing him to cross it into Berisha. 

Furthermore. Why do our players still not know to play the whistle?    

We won that game but there is still much more to improve. We can't rely on Sorenson to do that every game 

1 hour ago, Jozzy said:

Why he does not have us closing down the ball carrier is so frustrating to watch, we allowed Victory far to much time on the ball last night. You may be able to sit back and allow sides like Perth and Central Coast to run at you, waiting for them to lose possession and win it back but you cannot afford to give a side like Victory that much time. With a tougher run of fixtures coming up we must work on our pressure and play at a higher tempo when we don't have the ball.

My thoughts, except that victory is absolutely no better than Perth or CCM. They are all very poor. Too much respect for this headless chicken adrenaline junkies, amateurs and journeymen. Was so frustrating watching our left and right backs giving away the space for the cross. Stupid tactics, even knowing that victory is not that effective in front of the goal any more. Looks like JVS doesn't trust his midfield and is afraid to let them play total football. Paartalu becomes even more useless with this tactic. He is actually surprisingly good when we are pressing.

I actually respect JVS, but think that he reached his potential now and should be replaced.

16 hours ago, Tony999 said:

Don't think JVS is to blame for this game. Thought he did well with the subs. First half killed it for us.

Wrong.  He is to blame. He is the coach and he obviously went in with the wrong structure and game plan (defensive). When we attacked more in the second half it was a different game.

54 minutes ago, mjake1234 said:

Wrong.  He is to blame. He is the coach and he obviously went in with the wrong structure and game plan (defensive). When we attacked more in the second half it was a different game.

As I said in the match-day thread, I didnt see the whole game but watching the highlights and panel shows this is what it seems like to me.

So basically JVS was out coached by Aloisi... let that sink in for a while

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mjake1234 said:

Listening to JVS press conference I don't think he instructed the players to play deep. In fact we started with our usual high press for the first 10 minutes. According to him the team dropped too deep on their own.

One of the commentators mentioned how Brisbane were getting in behind us in the first half. Without seeing the game a second time I'm going to assume our leader in defence (Kisnorbo) ended up being responsible for the defensive line to drop too deep, causing a bigger gap between them and our midfielders. I'll have a look when I get the chance but I did see Brisbane get between this line often in the first half so this is the only explantation I have at the moment. 

I don't think Aloisi out coached JVS (dude had a smug look on his face like he fluked a 3-1 win), I do think we need a FUCKEN BACK LINE we need some descent CB's and maybe a midfield that is more defensive minded when we're obviously in trouble. I think Hughes was pretty good the first game he played and looked faster than kisnorbo and looked more agile (granted a long time ago but the 15mins since that first game he played he didnt look great) 

4 hours ago, n i k o said:

Listening to JVS press conference I don't think he instructed the players to play deep. In fact we started with our usual high press for the first 10 minutes. According to him the team dropped too deep on their own.

One of the commentators mentioned how Brisbane were getting in behind us in the first half. Without seeing the game a second time I'm going to assume our leader in defence (Kisnorbo) ended up being responsible for the defensive line to drop too deep, causing a bigger gap between them and our midfielders. I'll have a look when I get the chance but I did see Brisbane get between this line often in the first half so this is the only explantation I have at the moment. 

In that case he should have bee up on the touchline getting a message through to the team and defence in particular to push up. 

He had plenty of time to prevent the team from falling back on to their own penalty area.

• Like 1

Maybe, but surely can't argue that our CB's are close to worse in the league with no depth in this area. The 2 goals conceded on the weekend where weak as piss, don't get me wrong I love kisnorbos effort and would go to war with him but when we let those easy goals through it makes me wonder about our defensive side of the game.

15 minutes ago, HeartOfCity said:

Maybe, but surely can't argue that our CB's are close to worse in the league with no depth in this area. The 2 goals conceded on the weekend where weak as piss, don't get me wrong I love kisnorbos effort and would go to war with him but when we let those easy goals through it makes me wonder about our defensive side of the game.

2nd worse defensive record in the league. 

56 minutes ago, HeartOfCity said:

Regardless of how good or bad they are, they are there because of JVS. If they are not doing what he asks or they are unable to carry out his instructions, thats his fault. 

Edited by KSK_47
  • Like 2

On 28/12/2015 at 8:07 AM, n i k o said:

So either the tactics are bad or JVS is unable to get the players to follow his tactics?

Holy shit it's 2016 and JVS still has a job, amazing. 

Someone get in touch with Malcolm Turnbull, if we learn JVS' secrets we could eliminate unemployment in Australia. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Tesla said:

So either the tactics are bad or JVS is unable to get the players to follow his tactics?

Someone get in touch with Malcolm Turnbull, if we learn JVS' secrets we could eliminate unemployment in Australia. 

According to my in-depth sociological studies there is a direct positive correlation (extremely significant [p <.0001]) between level of tan and security of employment. 

I also conducted another experiment that found that black males who are exuberant and generally moody (verging bi-polar disorder) have, on average, penile length in the upper 1 percentile. So let's all forgive Novillo for his outbursts because he is, on average, more of a man than us. 

1 minute ago, strider said:

According to my in-depth sociological studies there is a direct positive correlation (extremely significant [p <.0001]) between level of tan and security of employment. 

I also conducted another experiment that found that black males who are exuberant and generally moody (verging bi-polar disorder) have, on average, penile length in the upper 1 percentile. So let's all forgive Novillo for his outbursts because he is, on average, more of a man than us. 

Penile length has nothing to do with one's level of manliness, it's all about penile gerth

20 hours ago, Tesla said:

No I agree and I think either way you look at it, even if a player cant follow the plan, the decision comes back to JVS. I'll give you an example. I have huge respect for the guy but I have always felt Kisnorbo doesn't suit the game we're trying to play and would rather sit deep behind the ball. He would be perfectly suited to a team like Newcastle or Perth who sit deep. Now if in fact Kisnorbo isn't suited to our game as I think he isn't this again comes back to JVS player selections. 

On 19 December 2015 at 11:51 AM, KSK_47 said:

This is the exact problem. These games were only a few months ago so its very difficult to think that its all behind us now. Especially after all the times we have previously seen these miraculous runs, only to have them end as suddenly as it came.

At the start of the season i said that for me he needs to win the leauge (or come very damn close to it) or he needs to go. I stand by that.

Totally agree with this. He needs a CB partner that marshals the defence and lead. Then let PK do what he does best and that is just backs against the wall pure defending 

Edited by Dylan