Melbourne Football

The JvS thread

Tesla

My sources at the club confirmed he is staying on because CFG are more interested in developing youth then the team's performance, and JVS does a good job bringing through the youth.

They hope to have one player come through to the Man City first team within the next 5 years to justify their investment.

I sincerely hope that CFG have higher aspirations for Melbourne City than that. Otherwise, we will rightly be justified in asking "Whatever happened to '...a Melbourne club for Melbourne people'"?

If it is the case then i think they can say goodbye to a whole heap of supporters including me i would like to think they are better than that.

• Like 2

My sources at the club confirmed he is staying on because CFG are more interested in developing youth then the team's performance, and JVS does a good job bringing through the youth.

They hope to have one player come through to the Man City first team within the next 5 years to justify their investment.

I sincerely hope that CFG have higher aspirations for Melbourne City than that. Otherwise, we will rightly be justified in asking "Whatever happened to '...a Melbourne club for Melbourne people'"?

If it is the case then i think they can say goodbye to a whole heap of supporters including me i would like to think they are better than that.

They still want the club to be successful on the field. The main priorities, which are no secret, are to spread the brand and to develop youth. But spreading the brand doesn't necessarily require winning, and the benefit from winning is actually quite minimal, hence why they consider developing youth to be more important. They also aim to have a squad strong enough that even with JVS in charge we can be a top 4 or so team. I dunno about that though.

I sincerely hope that CFG have higher aspirations for Melbourne City than that. Otherwise, we will rightly be justified in asking "Whatever happened to '...a Melbourne club for Melbourne people'"? If it is the case then i think they can say goodbye to a whole heap of supporters including me i would like to think they are better than that.

They still want the club to be successful on the field. The main priorities, which are no secret, are to spread the brand and to develop youth. But spreading the brand doesn't necessarily require winning, and the benefit from winning is actually quite minimal, hence why they consider developing youth to be more important. They also aim to have a squad strong enough that even with JVS in charge we can be a top 4 or so team. I dunno about that though.

Sauce...

I see no reason to doubt Soriano's first statement made about Melbourne City, said on the day of the takeover:

Ferran Soriano, CEO of Manchester City, said: “We are excited about the opportunity to make Melbourne Heart one of the most successful football clubs in Australia and throughout the region." 

http://www.mcfc.co.uk/News/Club-news/2014/January/Club-announcement-22-January-2014

Also the $15 million dollar training facility--easily the best in the country--suggests CFG have loftier ambitions than merely finishing 4th or so in the league each season.

And then there's the point that it's probably easier to aim for a 1st place league finish every season than to aim for a 4th or so place finish. Furthermore, if CFG just run this club as well as they can, and try to make everything first class like the training facility--and they'd probably need a top-run club like that even if they just wanted to develop youth--then as a 'side effect' I'm sure Melbourne City would finish 1st in the league now and again.

A final point as well is that it is undoubtedly better for the City brand for Melbourne City to win trophies rather regularly and compete in Asia, instead of merely being a middling team making up the numbers in the A-League.

I do however get the impression that CFG don't want to completely dominate the A-League and Australian football, which makes sense because they probably don't want to get off-side with the other A-League owners (and the FFA). However despite not wanting complete dominance and the first season being somewhat underwhelming I don't doubt CFG's ambitions for Melbourne City. As Man City supporters keep telling us, CFG don't do things in half-measures, hence they'll be wanting a top club in Australia.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 2

JVS's terminal failing is his inability to come up with a game plan to fit the players he has.

Barcelona plays Mascherano as a CB, even though he was a DM prior.  JVS tried the same once- but Matt Thompson isn't Mascherano.

He played Duff as an inverted winger, but Duff isn't Robben.

He has to simply play the players where they can play and devise a game plan they can play.

^^^well yes there is that but if we were in a league where the only limitation as the money the owners had, then he could sign whoever from wherever.

But this league is a bit like international football-you have to build a game plan with the players you can get, not neccesaril the ones you want.

• Like 2

^^^well yes there is that but if we were in a league where the only limitation as the money the owners had, then he could sign whoever from wherever.

But this league is a bit like international football-you have to build a game plan with the players you can get, not neccesaril the ones you want.

But JVS has not even been able to achieve that.

But JVS has not even been able to achieve that.

Yep, its a bit of both isn't.  Poor recruiting, and not making the most of the recruiting he makes.

Our greater interest in winning the league than developing Man City players aside, does that seem somewhat optimistic to anyone else?
  • Like 1

LOL - Great to see BH, the owner of the most like post in forum history back on here at his "Simplistic" best...

2nd most liked actually http://forum.melbournefootball.com/best-content/

Dunno what's wrong with this forum, I haven't liked any of the top 9 posts because they're all shit, but what can you do.

LOL - Good to see the Fisherman at number four. :fb:

• Like 1

LOL - Great to see BH, the owner of the most like post in forum history back on here at his "Simplistic" best...

2nd most liked actually http://forum.melbournefootball.com/best-content/

Dunno what's wrong with this forum, I haven't liked any of the top 9 posts because they're all shit, but what can you do. I can't believe the foundations if the Terrace Inclusive Act 2014 made it on there...

• Like 1

BH, the owner of the most like post in forum history

*cough cough*

Taking the glory even though you were wrong.He was right about the nature of it. A 10 game stint that became an unfit bloke for 4 games. As well as the fact I never said it wouldn't happen. I simply said I'll believe it when I see it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well next season's squad is looking to be the strongest that the club has had in its entire existence. We also have the best facilities in the A-League. So JVS has no excuses for not delivering a pre-season friendly win against other A-League clubs, get the team into the FFA cup semi-finals as a bare minimum, and a top two finish. JVS has to deliver - there are no excuses in any way shape or form for the forthcoming season.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

The fact that players can't simply come into the team and play within his 'system' shows how shit he is. I guess we'll play well when we have every player available. 

The fact that players who have been there for 2 seasons still can't work out how to make his system work should be enough for CFG.

I honestly do not know how van 't Schip keeps his fucking job. Half the squad unable to play because of injury, and whoever he's got he just cannot get the team to actually play decent football. Meanwhile across the road the others win 6-0 in a canter.

We have almost no chance of winning silverware with this bloke in charge. He must go for the sake of the club.

As I said at the end of last season, if it weren't for set piece goals, as proven tonight once again, we'd be nothing. JVS just gets so lucky. We wouldn't win any matches without them as JvS' style of play is non-existent made evident by the lack of decent team goals.

Edited by hakz7

Watching his interview on fox now, so uninspiring. Party at the imp when the CFG let this clown and Munn go.

Club has been pretty successful off the field, Munn is doing his job well as far as I can see. 

But this JVS bloke is surely on borrowed time now. Can't blame the squad this season. 

Club has been pretty successful off the field, Munn is doing his job well as far as I can see

But this JVS bloke is surely on borrowed time now. Can't blame the squad this season. 

That's a fucking joke. This club only didn't go under because CFG bailed out Sidwell and co. after the club's disastrous 4th season. Also the club didn't achieve the membership target that Scott Munn set in season 1, 7500 members, until last season after CFG remade the club.

Munn is the biggest pretender in Australian football.

• Like 4