Melbourne Football

The JvS thread

Tesla

Good result on the weekend but just thought it timely to mention that of the 14 matches played so far this season, only five games have been won:

• Two matches against Brisbane who have had internal issues and subsequently made a poor start to their season resulting in them sacking their coach
  • One match against Newcastle where to say they are also having internal issues is a slight understatement
  • One match against WSW who have had internal issues and looks like continuing to do so and is reflected in not having won a match all season
  • One match against the evil empire where this club has a history of lifting itself and where it could be argued that City should have had one player sent off and a MV disallowed goal which should have been allowed

As a few others have pointed out, the next couple of matches will be telling, against opposition who aren’t having internal issues and are sitting at the other end of the table. This will provide a much better test and indication of where JvS and this squad is at and how much they have progressed since the first half of the season.

You cant pick the opposition you play. A win is a win.

You can't, but we can't get ahead of ourselves just because we have beaten the bottom side by a goal. This is similar to when we beat Newcastle and it looked like we could be on the up, but the week after when we played a team who would punish our mistakes we were looking very shit again.

Good result on the weekend but just thought it timely to mention that of the 14 matches played so far this season, only five games have been won:

• Two matches against Brisbane who have had internal issues and subsequently made a poor start to their season resulting in them sacking their coach
  • One match against Newcastle where to say they are also having internal issues is a slight understatement
  • One match against WSW who have had internal issues and looks like continuing to do so and is reflected in not having won a match all season
  • One match against the evil empire where this club has a history of lifting itself and where it could be argued that City should have had one player sent off and a MV disallowed goal which should have been allowed

As a few others have pointed out, the next couple of matches will be telling, against opposition who aren’t having internal issues and are sitting at the other end of the table. This will provide a much better test and indication of where JvS and this squad is at and how much they have progressed since the first half of the season.

You cant pick the opposition you play. A win is a win.

You can't, but we can't get ahead of ourselves just because we have beaten the bottom side by a goal. This is similar to when we beat Newcastle and it looked like we could be on the up, but the week after when we played a team who would punish our mistakes we were looking very shit again.

It shouldn't be overlooked that our club had never beaten Western Sydney prior to yesterday's match. Bogey sides and records like that can be hard to shake off and put to rest. Under Aloisi this club lost 4 games and drew 1 against WSW (the team lost both of it's AAMI Park games against WSW). JVS got a win against WSW at the second time of trying.

I'd also dispute the 'difficulty' of yesterday's win, but all my points on that topic are in the match-day thread.

Melbourne City have won 4 of the last 6 matches, and have drawn 1 and only lost 1. The team has hit a rich vein of form since the start of December, and that loss to Central Coast Mariners is more an anomaly than a trend line.

Don't know how the win against Melbourne victory--still their only loss this season--can be diminished. If Melbourne City gets up for derbies, it's because of JVS. The team didn't equally fire up under Aloisi; just look at the numbers:

Melbourne derbies under Aloisi

- 1 Win

- 1 Draw

- 3 Losses

Melbourne derbies under JVS

- 4 Wins

- 3 Draws

- 2 Losses

This club has seen disappointing times in recent years, but only under Aloisi did the team get embarrassed and trodden over in Melbourne. 1 win in 5 games. 3 of the club's 5 derby defeats occurred during the spell of 5 derbies where Aloisi was the coach.

Meanwhile with JVS, he's delivered all of the club's Melbourne derby highpoints: the 1st derby win, the solid 3-2 win (where victory scored an injury-time consolation) in the 1st Christmas derby, the biggest ever Melbourne derby win (last season's 4-0 triumph) and the recent derby win with Paartalu's late goal (that knocked victory off their perch and gave them their 1st loss of the season). 

And the team has only tasted defeat twice in derbies under JVS over 9 games.

JVS doesn't get enough credit for giving this club something to brag about in its short history. If this club only got trounced in local derbies, like it did under Aloisi, then this club would be up shit creek. And even after taking over Aloisi's squad last season, which in hindsight was clearly a diabolical mix of players, the club has won 2 of the last 3 derbies.

Melbourne City didn't develop its "history of lifting itself" in derbies out of thin air. JVS has clearly played a central role with regards to Melbourne City's derby successes, and no matter what you think of him overall as a coach, his history of real derby success cannot be denied, and it certainly can't be downplayed.

So like it or lump it JVS has given this club a number of good moments. And more could be on the way with the form that Melbourne City is showing heading into the second half of the season.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 1

Only under JA did we get trodden on in a derby? You seem to have glossed over our 5-2 loss there Murf.

1 bad loss in 9 derbies. 2 losses overall. 

Under JA I never had any belief that the team could compete and possibly win against victory. The only win JA got, his first ever game, is the exception. Thereafter, under JA, Melbourne City suffered the Christmas derby embarrassment of 2012, where Thompson got the very late winner, and then another loss at the end of the 2012-13 season (anyone even remember that loss? by that point the team was truly forgettable, playing bad football and getting no results). Then last season there was the 0-0 at the start of the season, which almost felt like a win given the low expectations around the team, and then the 3-1 loss with the Kisnorbo sendoff.

My point though simply was that there is a very big difference between JVS' derby record and Aloisi's derby record. And Melbourne City is a whole lot better for the derby success that JVS has brought to the club. And it's derby glory that should be acknowledged, and not something that should be written off as "something that would have happened anyway" (which is what attributing derby success solely to the team "lifting itself" for derbies implies).

Edited by Murfy1

Not dismissing JvS’s derby record, as pointed out it’s quite good.  Just highlighting the frustration that comes when the team can put in a shift that’s worthy of a football side in a derby, only to come out the following week(s) without the same level of intensity or will against another side.

FWIW I’m not a JvS hater or fan, just pointing out that the teams City have beaten this season (aside from MV) have been below City on the table and all have been going through some degree of crises.  Now the team is up against more stable sides playing good football.  First is MV, then WP (away), PG (home), AU (home).

Now doubt the derby will be intense as they usually are, but for me the next stage of this team’s development is carrying the same mentality from the derby into the following games against good opposition (or any opposition for that matter).  In other words “lifting itself” for each and every match to the point where there will be no longer a need to lift itself as going into each match with the same mentality would become the norm.

Interesting to note that after the home game against AU, City travel away to CCM, a side that may not be performing as well as other sides but will test complacency levels if City do not bring their killer instinct particularly when they’re creating so many chances, another test of mentality.

• Like 1

Not dismissing JvS’s derby record, as pointed out it’s quite good.  Just highlighting the frustration that comes when the team can put in a shift that’s worthy of a football side in a derby, only to come out the following week(s) without the same level of intensity or will against another side.

FWIW I’m not a JvS hater or fan, just pointing out that the teams City have beaten this season (aside from MV) have been below City on the table and all have been going through some degree of crises.  Now the team is up against more stable sides playing good football.  First is MV, then WP (away), PG (home), AU (home).

Now doubt the derby will be intense as they usually are, but for me the next stage of this team’s development is carrying the same mentality from the derby into the following games against good opposition (or any opposition for that matter).  In other words “lifting itself” for each and every match to the point where there will be no longer a need to lift itself as going into each match with the same mentality would become the norm.

Interesting to note that after the home game against AU, City travel away to CCM, a side that may not be performing as well as other sides but will test complacency levels if City do not bring their killer instinct particularly when they’re creating so many chances, another test of mentality.

Haven't we already played Wellington away, also Perth and Adelaide at home? How come we are doing the same fixtures again?

Haven't we already played Wellington away, also Perth and Adelaide at home? How come we are doing the same fixtures again?

play every team 3 times

play every team 3 times

Yes I thought that was the case, but I don't remember us playing them in the reverse fixtures yet. Shouldn't this happen first?

Yes I thought that was the case, but I don't remember us playing them in the reverse fixtures yet. Shouldn't this happen first?

Not a lot of rhyme or reason to it. Melbourne Victory's captain was suspended for three games just prior to Christmas and, since he was a member of the Australian squad for the Asian Cup, two of the three games will be derbies.

I know I'm repeating myself, but surely there's an assistant coach at Manchester City who could come out for the rest of this season and at the very least get a CFG pair of eyes on what is going on?

Also our injury situation. Tonight we've got 40,000 at a Melbourne Derby on Victory's turf and we've got Clisby in his second game for us, Safuwan in his first game in Australia, Kennedy in his first game for us, and Stevanja on the bench without a minute of senior game-time to his name.

You're expecting a lot to take the game to a team like MV in those circumstances. And that's before starting to consider the two players whose confidence is completely gone, and half the players starting out of their preferred positions.

Something is horribly wrong.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 5

I know I'm repeating myself, but surely there's an assistant coach at Manchester City who could come out for the rest of this season and at the very least get a CFG pair of eyes on what is going on?

Also our injury situation. Tonight we've got 40,000 at a Melbourne Derby on Victory's turf and we've got Clisby in his second game for us, Safuwan in his first game in Australia, Kennedy in his first game for us, and Stevanja on the bench without a minute of senior game-time to his name.

You're expecting a lot to take the game to a team like MV in those circumstances. And that's before starting to consider the two players whose confidence is completely gone, and half the players starting out of their preferred positions.

Something is horribly wrong.

it's probably quite obvious, but yeah amongst other things and things, player selection is 3/4 the battle and (although that is left wanting) the rest like off the ball movement, transisions, 1-2-1, pressing leaves me with my HEART cast upon the refuse of disparity