Melbourne Football

2014/15 Season Predictions

Dylan

Finishing position on the ladder?

5th

How far into the finals we will go?

Win in the first round lose on penalties in the second round

Player most likely to fall away and end up not being used at all which we can call doing a Mifsud.

Ramsay and Hoffman

Player of the year?

1. Aaron Mooy

2. Koren

3. Duganndzic

Young player most likely to break into the starting 11 / best young player?

Chapman and garuccio

Wieleart has a contract that concludes at season's end. I think that he has his moments and he can be a calming presence in the back line. However, father time has caught up with him so that at season's end he should be released.

club should of paid him out and get someone decent in

not having a decent gk and mediocre defence is worrying, gonna have to rely on scoring plenty to win games

Finishing position on the ladder?

Last

How far into the finals we will go?

N/A

Player most likely to fall away and end up not being used at all which we can call doing a Mifsud.

Hoffshit and Ramshit and a few others

Player of the year?

Aaron Mooy

Young player most likely to break into the starting 11 / best young player?

Garuccio 

Players who will get released (not resigned/cut) either by seasons end or Jan transfer window?

Hoffshit, Ramshit, Redshit, Shitdocca and Wieleart and a few others

Just made a small change.

• Like 1

Wieleart has a contract that concludes at season's end. I think that he has his moments and he can be a calming presence in the back line. However, father time has caught up with him so that at season's end he should be released.

club should of paid him out and get someone decent in

not having a decent gk and mediocre defence is worrying, gonna have to rely on scoring plenty to win games

It has been discussed before as to whether paying someone out of their contract would mean that the payout still count againts the salary cap. I beleive that the consensus was  that any payout does form part of the salary cap. Since Wieleart is unlikely to b on minimum paying him out greatly reduces the ability to attract someone worthwhile. I am desperately hoping that Archibald or some other young player is able to step up.

• Like 1

Unless Chapman or Archibald step up to partner Paddy in the centre of defence we'll struggle.

Two slow Centre backs and 2 wingers as full backs leave us horribly exposed on the counter. Can't see us finishing above Brisbane, Adelaide, Sydney, Visitors or Wanderers unless things change immensely in the next 6 weeks.

Unless Chapman or Archibald step up to partner Paddy in the centre of defence we'll struggle.

Two slow Centre backs and 2 wingers as full backs leave us horribly exposed on the counter. Can't see us finishing above Brisbane, Adelaide, Sydney, Visitors, Wellington, Jets, Perth, CCM, Fury or Wanderers unless things change immensely in the next 6 weeks.

Two slow Centre backs and 2 wingers as full backs leave us horribly exposed on the counter. Can't see us finishing above Brisbane, Adelaide, Sydney, Visitors, Wellington, Jets, Perth, CCM, Fury or Wanderers unless things change immensely in the next 6 weeks.

When did fury get a team back?

• Like 1

When did fury get a team back?at this rate, we'll finish below Gold Coast and NZ knights as well
  • Like 1

The season is shaping up as one of concern for me ...

Based on our current squad and pre-season form, i think we will see the following as a regular occurrences on match day throughout the season:

• We will cop early goals
  • Williams, Duga, and Ramsay will miss easy goals
  • We'll be heavily reliant on Koren & Duff to open up the play and make chances, along with Villa, and this trio will score the majority of our goals
  • With Mooy taking our set pieces we will be much more of a threat to score goals this way
  • Ramsay will get smashed at LB ... Garuccio will play there at times and do much better, but will still get exposed and is not the long term solution
  • Hoffman will do alright when sitting back, but will not offer much more ... but his status as club legend will continue on and he will score at least 1 cracking goal
  • The refs will continue to favour our opposition home and away
  • Our GKs will give up easy goals and be a constant weakness
  • We will continue to have majority possession, with a lot of it meaningless
  • We will be lucky to make the finals
  • We will continue to be either on a winning or losing streak, and will continue to struggle away from home
  • Germano will be fantastic in limited appearances, but will then get injured
  • We will play well when desperate and chasing a game
  • We will still struggle to close out games

Across the park, I think that there are plenty of other teams that are well ahead of us in terms of team stability / strengthening of squad and tactical development.

Melbourne City becoming a force will probably take a few seasons still and I really do think we need at least a new GK and a LB.

I hope that I am wrong wrong with my prediction, but I cannot shake my apprehension.  In hindsight, I think that CFG should have gotten more involved last year and moved some players on in our problem positions, within whatever flexibility they had with last year's salary cap, and that they should have gone to the international market with regards to some of these key spots. (like the full back positions).

I was really hoping that they would have used their scouting abilities to get us some really good visa players who would make the difference.  Villa and Duff are great, but surely we could do better than Germano and Weilart ... and our GKs

• Like 2

Some of the comments in this thread remind me of what the German media and German pundits said about the German national team before the 2014 World Cup. They were sure Germany wouldn't be a real contender to win the World Cup. They said things like the team was too young, and the team had no real fullbacks (esp. because Lahm was intended to, and regularly did, play in midfield), and the team didn't have any real strikers (apart from the aging Klose). And we all know what happened then...

The fact is it's often the case that a national team or a club team can be underestimated, because supporters know where all the bodies are buried and they are thoroughly (and perhaps overly) familiar with the team's shortcomings. Whereas the shortcomings of other teams can get overlooked or downplayed, as the weaknesses in the supported team are fixated upon.

I just really don't think there are 6 teams better than us, because when you scrutinise other A-League teams as much as Melbourne City have been scrutinised, you see that all A-League teams have significant weaknesses. So whilst I acknowledge our team has some key vulnerabilities, I just don't think they are that big a deal when you compare us with the other teams. Look at the best 2 teams from last season, Brisbane and WSW. Both have IMO been clearly weakened over the transfer period, with both of them losing a lot of quality players and not replacing them sufficiently. And as for the other teams, there's a reason why they were all far off winning the league last season, such as victory having a terrible defence (which is significantly weaker now with the loss of Traore), ditto Wellington (conceding 51 goals!) and Adelaide also frequently shipping soft goals.

I personally don't think there are more than 2 or maybe 3 teams that will go better than Melbourne City next season, and that's a key reason why I've tipped a 3rd place finish. And I reckon it would be pushing it to say there are 4 teams clearly better than Melbourne City.

Some other things to remember are that our team was highly competitive over the second half of last season, despite our team then having undeniable radical weaknesses (such as the team's overall psychological malaise, a hangover from the Aloisi era, and our team having only one striker, or 'striker', Williams). Also, by next season a lot of Aloisi's disastrous coaching influence should have been expunged (although we'll still have some of the player he signed, they should at least be a bit better free from Aloisi's coaching). And we will have 2 proper marquees next season (and neither will likely have broken legs). And we will have bloody David Villa for several, maybe 10, games.

And another key matter I've come to appreciate is the skewered view supporters have got of the team's pre-season. Most supporters have only seen the FFA Cup game against Sydney, and maybe the Hume City match. And apart from a few very short videos, very little has been seen of the team's other pre-season matches, which include 4 wins (7-0, 6-0, 5-1, 5-0) and 2 draws (2-2, 1-1). It could well be the case that for whatever reason the FFA Cup match was an anomaly, and is quite exceptional when compared to the team's average pre-season form.

So don't overrate the other A-League teams. No teams will have real marquees next season (Janko at Sydney is maybe the closest), except for Melbourne City with David Villa, Robert Koren and maybe Josh Kennedy. And there's a reason why there's no clear favourite going into the next A-League season, because there are no A-League teams that are clearly impressive and that are bound to be among the very top few team next season. So there's little reason to definitively count Melbourne City out of being there or thereabouts next season.

I am sorry, but what you say about Lahm is terribly wrong! Always played LB for Germany and rated best LB in the Bundesliga, if not the world.

MV! Sydney, AU, Brisbane. Perth have recruited well and the jets will be a lot better than last year.

Edit: i ment RB, not LB :)

Edited by moops

I for one am glad that the other teams continue to improve their playing stocks. This raises the level of the competition, and as fans we'll get better local football and the Socceroos will have more options. Where does City stand with respect to the other teams? I guess right now it is looking ominous but we'll really know by round 6 I reckon.

Lahm has predominantly played at DM for Bayern last season at least.

Google 'Lahm defensive midfielder' and you'll find he's quite highly spoken of in both positions.

Yes, I understand, there is all sorts of speculation why Pep plays him there. But the majority of his career has been at RB and arguably one of the best in the business.

He has always played RB for Germany (nominally) and was moved back there halfway through the WC. If Lahm was the weakest link, then I'm flummoxed as he is very versatile and talented.

The doubt as far as I knew was lack of strikers (but they still had goal scorers) and that no European team had won it on Sth American soil.

I just found it a puzzling analogy, especially with Sami Khadira who's no slouch.

Edited by moops

Murf may be right that the German media didn't really expect much, I don't know. However I think you'll find he'll agree with you on everything you're saying - in fact you've basically agreed that Germany are weaker when Lahm wasn't at full back.

Haha, maybe I read it wrong in my head, a faux pas.

Excuse me Murfy.

On Lahm's position at the 2014 World Cup:

On 16 June 2014, Lahm started for Germany in central midfield in their first match of the 2014 FIFA World Cup, a 4–0 defeat of Portugal in Salvador,[42] and remained in the position for the other two group games and the round of 16match against Algeria.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philipp_Lahm#2014_World_Cup

Another source here: http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/jun/17/world-cup-2014-talking-points-germany-portugal

I fully agree that Lahm is a great full-back, and Germany has really missed him when he hasn't played or when he's been played in midfield. They had the central defenders Howedes and Boateng as their fullbacks in the 2014 WC group stage (see here, here and here), and apart from their win against Portugal following Portugal's implosion, Germany was pretty unconvincing against Ghana and the USA.

On German expectations pre-world cup, they were pessimistic: "If Reus’s absence has not quite punctured Germany’s dream of a first trophy since Euro 96, it certainly added to what has been a fairly deflating buildup. [...] The upshot of all this has been a very peculiar, unforgiving form of pessimism. Many Germans do not truly expect Die Nationalmannschaft to win the tournament – Löw even had to address questions about a group-stage exit and admitted that “change would be necessary” if that catastrophe came to pass" (http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jun/09/philipp-lahm-germany-world-cup).

The lack of strikers was a real concern ahead of the WC, as was their injury list, as the article above indicates.

IMO the analogy holds up pretty well. And it's a reminder that a team's supporters can easily systematically underrate that team, because supporters know every vulnerability with the team and fear they all will be a real weakness when that team starts playing. But often numerous of those potential vulnerabilities end up not being that important (e.g. Klose being Germany only proper striker didn't prevent them from goalscoring, and even Howedes & Boateng did well enough in the fullback positions).

And beyond the team itself, there's the fact that every other World Cup contender ended up not being as good as predicted (in particular Spain and Brazil). I won't run through all 9 A-League opponents, but I'll just point out 1 example with Brisbane, who lost arguably the A-League's best striker in Berisha and replaced him with some guy from the Macedonian football league! He was about their 3rd choice for a new striker, unsurprisingly. If our first choice striker was signed from the Macedonian football league, this forum would go ballistic. So IMO it's crystal clear that Brisbane have not recruited 'well', and they are significantly worse off with the loss of Berisha and Franjic. And I think on this forum other teams sometimes get treated more lightly than Melbourne City, and other A-League teams and coaches get talked up when they are really not that impressive.  

I ultimately think there will be a lot more changes for the good than what's being anticipated ATM. Torn Asunder provides a good list above of real problems that have hurt the team in seasons past, and whilst a lot of those points were accurate for past seasons, I expect a number of those points to either stop being an issue by next season or to not be that damaging, in the same way that the many 'weaknesses' in the German NT ultimately didn't weaken the team that significantly, and didn't stop it from winning the biggest football competition.

I'm not saying it'll all go perfectly next season. There will undoubtedly be bumps in the road. But I'm firmly of the opinion that things won't be as bad as some suggest, and I don't think the history of recent seasons will simply repeat itself next season as some are implying.  

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 1

On your post Murf, I wish I could think of Melbourne City in the same light as the German national team ...

I guess my concern stems from what I've seen thus far in pre-season, which has been rather unremarkable, and knowing that quite a few of our team is without doubt limited and reliant on others around them to break open a game.

The same fatal flaws that plagued us last season are still evident, which I put down to a lack of class across the pitch.

Mooy is going to be great for us, as will Duff and no doubt Koren & Villa, but I still think overall out team has too many weaknesses that will prevent a highly fruitful season.

A lot will depend on who else we sign.

Out of the players still there from the JA period, over the next few seasons I suspect there will be a high rate of attrition, with most of those guys eventually disappearing.

The rebuild and success will be gradual at this rate. But in a salary capped league, that is the way it goes.

All that being said, still can't wait for the season to kick off proper!

• Like 1

As murphy pointed out yesterday we have had about six players that have been signed on to this season prior to CFG taking over. I believe of those six there are four that are probably our most culpable players, responsible for the majority of mistakes in Redmayne, Ramsey, Weialaert and Murdocca, coincidentally all players inclined towards playing defensive roles. Unless they prove otherwise this season I can see at least three if not all of these players 'not' being given contract extensions for the following season.

While they take up room on the pitch and on the salary cap it makes it hard to sign other players to take their place. I don't know the minute details but we had a number of starting players released at the end of last season meaning these positions were priority to fill. I don't believe we could have done this as effectively if at all had we spent more money replacing any one of the four mentioned above.

On Lahm's position at the 2014 World Cup:

On 16 June 2014, Lahm started for Germany in central midfield in their first match of the 2014 FIFA World Cup, a 4–0 defeat of Portugal in Salvador,[42] and remained in the position for the other two group games and the round of 16match against Algeria.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philipp_Lahm#2014_World_Cup

Another source here: http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/jun/17/world-cup-2014-talking-points-germany-portugal

I fully agree that Lahm is a great full-back, and Germany has really missed him when he hasn't played or when he's been played in midfield. They had the central defenders Howedes and Boateng as their fullbacks in the 2014 WC group stage (see here, here and here), and apart from their win against Portugal following Portugal's implosion, Germany was pretty unconvincing against Ghana and the USA.

On German expectations pre-world cup, they were pessimistic: "If Reus’s absence has not quite punctured Germany’s dream of a first trophy since Euro 96, it certainly added to what has been a fairly deflating buildup. [...] The upshot of all this has been a very peculiar, unforgiving form of pessimism. Many Germans do not truly expect Die Nationalmannschaft to win the tournament – Löw even had to address questions about a group-stage exit and admitted that “change would be necessary” if that catastrophe came to pass" (http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jun/09/philipp-lahm-germany-world-cup).

The lack of strikers was a real concern ahead of the WC, as was their injury list, as the article above indicates.

IMO the analogy holds up pretty well. And it's a reminder that a team's supporters can easily systematically underrate that team, because supporters know every vulnerability with the team and fear they all will be a real weakness when that team starts playing. But often numerous of those potential vulnerabilities end up not being that important (e.g. Klose being Germany only proper striker didn't prevent them from goalscoring, and even Howedes & Boateng did well enough in the fullback positions).

And beyond the team itself, there's the fact that every other World Cup contender ended up not being as good as predicted (in particular Spain and Brazil). I won't run through all 9 A-League opponents, but I'll just point out 1 example with Brisbane, who lost arguably the A-League's best striker in Berisha and replaced him with some guy from the Macedonian football league! He was about their 3rd choice for a new striker, unsurprisingly. If our first choice striker was signed from the Macedonian football league, this forum would go ballistic. So IMO it's crystal clear that Brisbane have not recruited 'well', and they are significantly worse off with the loss of Berisha and Franjic. And I think on this forum other teams sometimes get treated more lightly than Melbourne City, and other A-League teams and coaches get talked up when they are really not that impressive.

I ultimately think there will be a lot more changes for the good than what's being anticipated ATM. Torn Asunder provides a good list above of real problems that have hurt the team in seasons past, and whilst a lot of those points were accurate for past seasons, I expect a number of those points to either stop being an issue by next season or to not be that damaging, in the same way that the many 'weaknesses' in the German NT ultimately didn't weaken the team that significantly, and didn't stop it from winning the biggest football competition.

I'm not saying it'll all go perfectly next season. There will undoubtedly be bumps in the road. But I'm firmly of the opinion that things won't be as bad as some suggest, and I don't think the history of recent seasons will simply repeat itself next season as some are implying.

Ah, yeah I read it wrong and thought you said something else, my mistake mate.

We can only wait and see, I am not holding my breath though.

My thought on the up coming season are very optimistic and I agree that the general perception is that Melbourne City FC will do better than previous season however talks of winning the title are premature. With the new signings brought in and the amount of pressure on the players and coaches to perform is far greater than other season. I think its fare to say that all the player currently at Melbourne City and other players from other A-league clubs have an eye on the club and the goings on. I believe we look more attractive as a potential destination for players in Australia to play and perform and potentially make a name for yourself which was not the case in seasons past. All of these elements play on the minds of players, to know that they can be replaced at any given time given the financial backing and resource we now have.

These are vital in changing the culture at our club which I believe with the introduction of Duff and Koren this change is already in motion. The psychological impact on the players when David Villa arrives and reports for training will confirm that this is no longer Melbourne Heart, its Melbourne City FC and if you want to be part of this then success is what is needed.

Arsenal is a case in point, with the arrival of Alexis Sanchez' the majority of Arsenal players showed how pleased they were and optimism flowed through the Gunners dressing room because the players can see the direction and intent by the club to bring in such a player. Time will tell if the Gunners go on to do big things but you can never underestimate the impact one player can have.

For this reason I predict we will have a solid season winning more games and scoring more goals. Will that be enough for us to claim our first trophy? who knows ...

Some of the comments in this thread remind me of what the German media and German pundits said about the German national team before the 2014 World Cup. They were sure Germany wouldn't be a real contender to win the World Cup. They said things like the team was too young, and the team had no real fullbacks (esp. because Lahm was intended to, and regularly did, play in midfield), and the team didn't have any real strikers (apart from the aging Klose). And we all know what happened then...

The fact is it's often the case that a national team or a club team can be underestimated, because supporters know where all the bodies are buried and they are thoroughly (and perhaps overly) familiar with the team's shortcomings. Whereas the shortcomings of other teams can get overlooked or downplayed, as the weaknesses in the supported team are fixated upon.

I just really don't think there are 6 teams better than us, because when you scrutinise other A-League teams as much as Melbourne City have been scrutinised, you see that all A-League teams have significant weaknesses. So whilst I acknowledge our team has some key vulnerabilities, I just don't think they are that big a deal when you compare us with the other teams. Look at the best 2 teams from last season, Brisbane and WSW. Both have IMO been clearly weakened over the transfer period, with both of them losing a lot of quality players and not replacing them sufficiently. And as for the other teams, there's a reason why they were all far off winning the league last season, such as victory having a terrible defence (which is significantly weaker now with the loss of Traore), ditto Wellington (conceding 51 goals!) and Adelaide also frequently shipping soft goals.

I personally don't think there are more than 2 or maybe 3 teams that will go better than Melbourne City next season, and that's a key reason why I've tipped a 3rd place finish. And I reckon it would be pushing it to say there are 4 teams clearly better than Melbourne City.

Some other things to remember are that our team was highly competitive over the second half of last season, despite our team then having undeniable radical weaknesses (such as the team's overall psychological malaise, a hangover from the Aloisi era, and our team having only one striker, or 'striker', Williams). Also, by next season a lot of Aloisi's disastrous coaching influence should have been expunged (although we'll still have some of the player he signed, they should at least be a bit better free from Aloisi's coaching). And we will have 2 proper marquees next season (and neither will likely have broken legs). And we will have bloody David Villa for several, maybe 10, games.

And another key matter I've come to appreciate is the skewered view supporters have got of the team's pre-season. Most supporters have only seen the FFA Cup game against Sydney, and maybe the Hume City match. And apart from a few very short videos, very little has been seen of the team's other pre-season matches, which include 4 wins (7-0, 6-0, 5-1, 5-0) and 2 draws (2-2, 1-1). It could well be the case that for whatever reason the FFA Cup match was an anomaly, and is quite exceptional when compared to the team's average pre-season form.      

So don't overrate the other A-League teams. No teams will have real marquees next season (Janko at Sydney is maybe the closest), except for Melbourne City with David Villa, Robert Koren and maybe Josh Kennedy. And there's a reason why there's no clear favourite going into the next A-League season, because there are no A-League teams that are clearly impressive and that are bound to be among the very top few team next season. So there's little reason to definitively count Melbourne City out of being there or thereabouts next season.

Speaking for myself, I think this is spot on. Don't know about other people, but I honestly would not have given most of the other teams in the league a second's thought at this stage of proceedings. I think we pretty clearly have a better squad than last year. We've lost Kewell and Engelaar (really more like one player, since they were barely on the park at the same time) and Behich. I think our inclusions have the 2013/14 production of those three covered comfortably and there's more to come.

The other thing about the Heart in recent years is (sorry to come across as a bit too JA): we haven't been miles away, on a game-to-game basis. We've just consistently turned three points into one, or one point into zero. How many times were we blown off the park in the last two years? I'd say there weren't too many. Perhaps the biggest area in which this group needs to improve is mental toughness.

• Like 3

Speaking of mental toughness

Compare the 2

Barisha - pure cuntness

Runs into the box, plowers through the defenders using his arms, elbows, and body.

You could chainsaw his leg off, break his arm and poke his eye out. This cunt will still grind ahead and while falling down ram the ball into the back of the net while head butting goalkeeper for fun.

Yes, more physical attributes but caused by a mental vortex which makes scoring one and only outcome.

Williams - if we win we win, if we loose we lose

If my first touch is shit (and it usually is) I try again next time.

Edited by Jestr
  • Like 1

Speaking of mental toughness

Compare the 2

Barisha - pure cuntness

Runs into the box, plowers through the defenders using his arms, elbows, and body.

You could chainsaw his leg off, break his arm and poke his eye out. This cunt will still grind ahead and while falling down ram the ball into the back of the net while head butting goalkeeper for fun.

Yes, physical attributes but caused by a mental vortex which makes scoring one and only outcome.

Williams - if we win we win, if we loose we lose

If my first touch is shit (and it usually is) I try again next time.

'Tis but a flesh wound...

Edited by Kiro Kompiro
  • Like 5

Tando

Germano  -  Wielaert  - Kisnorbo  -  New Signing

Mass/ New Signing

Mooy                        Koren

Villa

Duga                                                     Duff

Bench: Redder, Garrucio, Mauk, Chapman, Willo

I hope that at some point Chapman can replace Robbie at CB, and would like to see Marino get some game time from the bench. I really think that the club needs to make an effort to sign someone who naturally plays as a fullback, and even better if they could shift to CB if required in a game. A DM other than Mass would be nice, but not sure how full the cap is looking, and if we sign Kennedy as the Oz marquee then that might limit out options there. 

I think we will come in around 5th/6th, I'm concerned by the back four and GK, as they let in far too many soft goals last year. Hopefully with Koren, Mooy and some better players further up field we won't be turning the ball over as much.            

Edited by ae7smith
  • Like 2

I think Heart will kill it and come first and get to the grand final but lose that. 

First half of the season we will destroy the opposition due to Villa/Duff/Koren combination and simply get on one of JVS's hot streaks. January we won't win a game... but only lose once. Then we will come roaring back with Kennedy killing it while the other strong teams contend with the ACL and injuries which we will finally have some luck with. 

The grand final loss will be due to a JVS tactical mistake of playing too defensively once we go up just before half time. The other team (probably WSW) will score at the 90th minute mark and again 1 minute into extra time. 

We will all be devastated. The following season we will win everything at a canter. 

1. Formation and Starting 11 at round 1 + subs

Tando

Hoffman Wielaert Kisnorbo Ramsey

Germano

Mooy Koren

Duga Villa Duff

subs; Murdocca, mauk, garrucio,redmayne,williams

2. Formation and Starting 11 at the end of the season + subs

Tando

Hoffman Wielaert Kisnorbo new signing

Germano

Mooy Koren

Duga Kennedy Duff

subs; redmayne,murdocca,Williams, Garrucio, Mauk

3. Finishing position on the ladder.

BRFC

AUFC

WSW

SFC

MCFC

MVFC

CCM

PGFC

WPFC

NJFC

4. How far into the finals we will go

lose first round

5. Player most likely to fall away and end up not being used at all which we can call doing a Mifsud.

Kalmar

6. Player of the year

Koren

7. Young player most likely to break into the starting 11 / best young player

Garrucio. At least has the best opportunity to do so with Duff being older at LW and us not having a single genuine left back on our books. Mauk has the most potential but will only get game time from the bench or if injuries hit Mooy or Koren.

8. Players who will get released (not resigned/cut) either by seasons end or Jan transfer window.

not sure of contract scenarios but if contracts weren't an obstacle id clear all these players from the books Kalmar, Ramsey, Wielaert, Redmayne.

9. Any other views you want to add

Not sure how many more spots we have in the squad but we desperately need a left back and probably a DM who can cover as a CB if needed. With Chapman out for the foreseeable future our CB stocks are weak. On top of that While Germano i think is quality when fit we all know that we wont get a whole season out of him. Murdocca is good as a squad member but I don't think is good enough in the tackle to be our starting DM.

We will score plenty but will probably concede more.

• 2 weeks later...

I see us just making the six, Villa and Koren will be lethal early games but I just see us droping off as the season goes on. Still too many areas of the side haven't been addressed, goalkeeper and full backs mainly. Using the last visa spot on a good foreign full back (left back preferable) would be smart I believe.

As for starting lineup come first game i'd be hoping for something like

Velaphi

Germano. Kisborbo. Weilaert. new signing*

Murdocca. Mooy

Dugandzic Koren. Duff

Villa