Melbourne Football

Robert Koren (confirmed by club as released)

Jimmy

IS ROBERT Koren’s much maligned time at Melbourne City up?

After Saturday night’s win over Western Sydney, City coach John van’t Schip was far from unequivocal about whether his current international marquee would be at the club following the January transfer window. But hours earlier van’t Schip had made a far more definitive statement about the Slovenian’s playing prospects this season, having left the fully fit 35-year-old out of the squad to face the Wanderers. Favoured in midfield ahead of the man who captained his country in the 2010 World Cup was Jacob Melling, a relatively unheralded 20-year-old defensive midfielder. Even on the bench Koren couldn’t find his way past young attacker Wade Dekker, A-League journeyman midfielder Jason Trifiro and David Williams, a player who himself seems destined for the exit door. Injuries — most notably to his calves — have thwarted the former West Bromwich Albion and Hull City star, but after being handed a starting berth against Sydney FC last week, yet another uninspired performance may have been the last straw.

He’s played 26 of a possible 43 games, five of them off the bench, scored three goals — all in one game, against Newcastle last season — and had just three assists.

With the team’s new 3-5-2 formation giving its holding midfielders more freedom to push forward, there is no reason why Koren could not have lined up alongside Erik Paartalu in midfield on Saturday.

Instead it was Melling, whose development since signing last season has been staggering, picked, the South Australian’s tenacity preferred to Koren’s experience. Melling himself isn’t taking his spot in the side for granted and said Koren had been a huge help to him in the past 18 months.

“Watching Robbie, where he’s been and the professionalism he has, I just try to pick those things up,” Melling said.

“I’m just trying to work my arse off each week for the team because it’s the kind of player I am.

“JVS must like the way I play I guess, I’m sort of hard at it, but when I do get my opportunity I’m trying to take it as much as I can. You don’t know what’s going to happen next week.”

Melling said the recent change in formation at City had agreed with him.

“It’s more freedom to get forward, we can push out without having to worry as much about what’s behind us,” he said.

“If we get a shout saying “stay” then we’ll stay, but we can actually go help Aaron Mooy to push in or even the strikers knowing we have more of that cover.

“We have more numbers so we’re not timid to go forward, not timid to win the ball in that midfield area.”

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Kiro Kompiro said:

melling is a 60 minute midfielder

nothing wrong with that considering his work rate for the time he's out on the park, if he can fine-tune his passing and fitness and make smarter tackling decisions, he'll be a lock for the starting XI week in, week out

On 22 July 2014 at 0:12 AM, Embee said:

Some trivia for you all.

Koren and Mifsud played together at Lillestrom from 2004-2007. Both left in January 2007 for England, Koren to West Brom and Mifsud to Coventry, 27 miles apart *creepy music*

Can we put ex-Lillestrom players on the banned list?

• Like 2

What bothers me most about Koren is not just everything about him but the message his performances sends to guys like Bruno and Novillo. His level of play is making s strong case for these guys to be asking for a million a season as well. We desperately need a a marquee that these guys will respect for being on marquee money, if that makes sense. 

• Like 5

Its funny the click bait bullshit on David Davutovic twitter today. Thanks Captain Obvious

• Is Koren on his way out? Any idea who could replace him as marquee?PHILat 12:04 PM
    Read below Phil. While City said it's unlikely, it appears a possibility, certainly after last week's axing from the entire squad.
    • Discussions
    David Davutovic
    d9f58e73-d38a-424a-8990-2fd1bf747d0f.jpg
  • 3 hours ago

Hi Dave, always love your work. One question. Koren. I would have thought that City would only release if a replacement deal has been done.Very ominous that he was dropped given that JVS has defended him thus far and its in the windowDylanat 12:02 PM
    Yes they would definitely have someone in mind as a replacement. They've been looking abroad and whilst they need a defender they are looking for an attacker to replace Gameiro (and Koren if he leaves).
    • Discussions
    David Davutovic
  • 3 hours ago

Hey David 
    Heard any rumours regarding Melbourne City, particularly with Robbi Koren?Football88at 12:02 PM
    City are very active this window. They tried to get Osama Malik, but David Williams rejected Adelaide's offer which would've triggered a swap deal. They're exploring the injury replacement positions for Gameiro and Chapman and even the guest stint.
    • Discussions
    David Davutovic
  • 3 hours ago

Davos.....what's happening with City and Koren? Failed experiment to date, is he highest paid in the league? City eyeing other marquee and terminating Koren's contract? Or do CFG not wanting to waste money on CityRobertoat 12:01 PM
    Filip Holosko I believe is the highest paid player in the league. I'm not sure of Koren's status, but JVS didn't rule out him moving on before the end of the season.
    • Discussions
    David Davutovic
  • 4 hours ago

clubs most likely to sign Troisi? Also if City were to offload Koren this window - would they go in the market for a quality CB to sure up the leaky defence?Jarrodat 11:40 AM
    Adelaide United and Wellington Phoenix are keen as mustard but Melb City and Melb Victory are also keen. Watch this space.

Melbourne City consider releasing maligned marquee Robert Koren

18 minutes ago

David Davutovic

MELBOURNE City and maligned marquee Robert Koren are in talks about an early release, with an offer to be tabled within 24 hours.

If Koren, whose contract expires in May, accepted an early release it would open up a coveted marquee position for a big-name signing for the rest of this season and possibly beyond.

His future became an issue after last week’s win over Western Sydney, and it’s believed that coach John van’t Schip and Koren held talks after the game to discuss his status.

Melbourne City declared that Koren had been axed and needed to win his spot back.

The former West Brom and Hull City star felt hamstring tightness after the final session and subsequent MRI scans revealed bruising, but no tear.

Koren remains in doubt for Saturday’s visit to Perth Glory having only resumed running on Wednesday.

The $1m-plus marquee man’s exit could trigger a January transfer window frenzy at Melbourne City, with anywhere from three-to-five new signings expected as they push for a maiden title and Asian Champions League berth.

Attacker David Williams is on the verge of agreeing terms with a European club and could leave as early as Friday if City grants him a release, though he is due to travel to Perth.

City is actively seeking an international guest player, while they can still sign injury replacements for Connor Chapman and Corey Gameiro.

Koren’s agent Sam Stapleton confirmed that he is in talks with the City to discuss the future of the former Slovenian international, who is keen to play on.

“We continue to have conversations in order to determine what’s best for Robi and for the club,’’ Stapleton said.

“He’s not playing as much as he should be so we have to take stock of the situation, from both sides. If Robi remains until the end of the season then he will give 110 per cent and fight for his place as he always has done.’’

Football Federation Australia confirmed on Wednesday that there was nothing in the rules stopping City from adding a third marquee this season, as long as there were no more than two at any given time.

Koren, 35 would be replaced by a visa star, with City pulling out of the race for Socceroo James Troisi, who is likely to join Adelaide United or Wellington Phoenix.

City remains interested in Anthony Caceres, who could join on loan from parent club Manchester City after signing from Central Coast, though he would take up $300,000 of the salary cap under new parent club/loan regulations.

Koren agreed a two-year deal to replace Orlando Engelaar as marquee, but even when fit it appears that van’t Schip is now reluctant to play him and Aaron Mooy in the same XI.

STAR Melbourne City signing and A-League golden boot leader, Uruguayan Bruno Fornaroli was yesterday named the players’ union’s player of the month for December.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/melbourne-city-consider-releasing-maligned-marquee-robert-koren/news-story/aab79ec8d8594270de133868ca34d637

• Like 1