Melbourne Football

Robert Koren (confirmed by club as released)

Jimmy

Is he still here?

I mean seriously, the amount for him to paid out by our overlord, is small change to him

For me, a marquee should either perform on the pitch or be a "name" that attractions attention , ( preferably both) 

Koren has been neither

Would it not break the salary cap to pay off the last year of his salary and release him?

I think I'm getting confused between MLS and A-League rules. Under the MLS system, marquees still have their salary up to a certain point (the league's designated maximum salary) counted and then everything over that is outside of regulation. I take it that marquees in Australia are entirely outside the cap?

• Like 1

I think I'm getting confused between MLS and A-League rules. Under the MLS system, marquees still have their salary up to a certain point (the league's designated maximum salary) counted and then everything over that is outside of regulation. I take it that marquees in Australia are entirely outside the cap?

From wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A-League#Squad_formation_and_salaries

Although A-League clubs have restricted salaries (salary cap) the league allows each team to have three "marquee" player whose salaries are exempt from the cap. Guest players are also excluded for up to a maximum of 10 league matches. From the formation of the league, clubs have been allowed to sign one international marquee player. Since the 2008–09 season, A-League clubs have been permitted a junior marquee player; one that is under the age of 23. The junior marquee can be paid up to A$150,000 above the salary cap. On 19 April 2010, the A-League announced that, in addition to the international marquee and junior marquee, clubs would be allowed an Australian marquee player from the 2010–11 season.[54]Notable marquee players in the A-League have included Alessandro Del Piero, who signed with Sydney FC, on a two-year four million dollar deal, as well as Dwight YorkeEmile HeskeyRobbie FowlerDavid Villa and former FIFA World Player of the Year Romário. Famous Australian Marquees include Harry KewellJohn AloisiBrett Emerton andJoshua Kennedy[55]
Edited by illeatyourheart

Mario Jardel easily takes the cake (literally) for the worst marquee. A majority of blokes on this forum are in better physical shape than Lardel was in his spell at Newcastle

Fixed

KFC quadrupled their profits in Newcastle whilst he was there. The guy wasn't over weight, he was definitely obese. Classic Lardel quote "I'm not a runner" (presumably unless Maccas is about to close). He made the overweight Williams of a few years ago look anaemic. Aside from being fat and unprofessional he couldn't play either. Koren can take no pride in being better than him.

Yep, the International Marquee, the Australian Marquee and the 10 Game Guest Stint Player are all entirely outside the cap. That's why it's so significant when a player like Koren takes up one of those 3 spots and under-performs; because it's one of an A-League club's very few opportunities to give its team a real edge over the opposition.

Mario Jardel easily takes the cake (literally) for the worst marquee. A majority of blokes on this forum are in better physical shape than Lardel was in his spell at Newcastle

Fixed

KFC quadrupled their profits in Newcastle whilst he was there. The guy wasn't over weight, he was definitely obese. Classic Lardel quote "I'm not a runner" (presumably unless Maccas is about to close). He made the overweight Williams of a few years ago look anaemic. Aside from being fat and unprofessional he couldn't play either. Koren can take no pride in being better than him.

Anemia is a deficiency of red blood cells in the blood. Traditionally people suffering from anemia exhibit tiredness, and difficulty exercising. Did you mean anorexic? Anorexia can lead to anemia, but anemia won't necessarily result in anorexia.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't like admitting this, but its starting to really irk me that (although it was obvious from the start) that we are third in line and are some kind of after thought after New York has all their matters sorted. This not might be true. But when you see Pirlo, Lampard and Villa going there and we get stuck with some passenger who wassnt even starting in a championship team, thrown to us, who clearly couldnt care less and complaining to the press that we arnt using him right as some kind of excuse for not putting in effort.

I have seen some comments on here about him preforming after a full pre season. Last year he had a two months to prepare and was injured the week before the first game. So I highly doubt another pre season is going to make any kind of meaningful difference. In fact, I remember watching the game against Adelaide last year in the pre season and he even showed his lack of commitment that early in the piece. 

I have no idea who is to blame for Koren, JD, JVS or the CFG, but they should realise their mistake, pay him out and get a marquee who wants to actually be here. 

• Like 2

Agreed!

To be left with a guy who proved in 75% of a season last year he wasn't up to it, while NYC get 3 top top top notch players is absolutely offensive, and  a slap in the face.

I would love to see him gone. Will be interesting to see how this plays out if  he is played in midfield and isn't performing. Will JVS have the gumption to bench an underperforming Koren? And how would that look for CFG- their Marquee on the bench? If Melling is on the bench and Koren starts to play similarly to last year there'll be uproar in the stands!

Edited by tommac

Agreed!

To be left with a guy who proved in 75% of a season last year he wasn't up to it, while NYC get 3 top top top notch players is absolutely offensive, and  a slap in the face.

I would love to see him gone. Will be interesting to see how this plays out if  he is played in midfield and isn't performing. Will JVS have the gumption to bench an underperforming Koren? And how would that look for CFG- their Marquee on the bench? If Melling is on the bench and Koren starts to play similarly to last year there'll be uproar in the stands!

I doubt it, the only reason he was still starting at the end of the season was that he was the marque. He answers to CFG and CFG don't like admitting that they make mistakes of which there are a few. So we will continue heading towards the cliff with Koren rather than admitting we're on the wrong track.

People - we have to remember CFG paid $100m for New York and $10m for us. 

Logic says they would want to get a return on their investment so New York would be the first choice in quality players. 

If everyone wants, we can go back to Peter Sidwell days. Or better yet experience what Newcastle, Brisbane etc are experiencing in unpaid wages etc.

Edited by pattyd89
  • Like 3

All of the signings done for this season show that we are putting together a well balanced and competitive team. With all of this I had really thought they would move Koren on. Last season he behaved childishly, was disinterested and rarely showed any quality. This is the one signing where we can make a difference. Come on CFG, show that you care about us.

• Like 1

Agreed!

JVS hasn't shown enough basterd, he will keep him there and hope he will find form. I don't think it says anything about CFG, who it seems last year were just observers and letting the old guard run things. It seems this year and after they are taking a more active role, I see good things ahead of us.

That hat trick though...

a. it was against Newcastle 

b. those 3 goals were his only 3 goals

But it was an awesome hat trick against a team that was on the point of turning things around and we denied them, awesome game he had and a crucial three points into the top 6, that's all it matters. Koren IN

• Like 1

That hat trick though...

But it was an awesome hat trick against a team that was on the point of turning things around and we denied them, awesome game he had and a crucial three points into the top 6, that's all it matters. Koren IN

context.

That hat trick though...

ok true, I just don't really like Koren. Hopefully he can turn it around this season. It was an awesome game tho - one of the best of last season.

Edited by icantthinkofacoolname
Said tho too much

That hat trick though...

ok true, I just don't really like Koren. Hopefully he can turn it around this season. It was an awesome game tho - one of the best of last season.

Best marquee in the a-league, people here just underestimating his capabilities

That hat trick though...

I can't tell if you're trolling

• Like 1

That hat trick though...

Only other alternative is that hes never watched a game of football before

That hat trick though...

No troll, the hat trick he contributed to the team says it all, we got 5th place from that and went into the semi final. The signing of Koren was worth it when we have a dud coach like jvs, top scouting cfg  Applause smileys

Edited by Young Polak

People - we have to remember CFG paid $100m for New York and $10m for us. 

Logic says they would want to get a return on their investment so New York would be the first choice in quality players. 

If everyone wants, we can go back to Peter Sidwell days. Or better yet experience what Newcastle, Brisbane etc are experiencing in unpaid wages etc.

CFG will have spent more than a billion dollars on NYC before they are finished, about half of that might be stadium building costs though.. Return of investment will be in added value of the club. Moneywise it´s not supposed to make a profit at all.
As for Melbourne being the red haired stepchild I don´t really think so, It´s more likely that Simon Pearce and Brian Marwood (who sort of are the guys focused on Melbourne) have a different approach or rather.. a very different approach on how to build the club.
For instance we notice that New York got nothing smilar to CFA, don´t even have a permanent stadium to call home and are unlikely to get one within a couple of years.
That changes how they must operate surely? i.e New York must make a splash from the start and become relevant to New Yorkers in general.

As for Melbourne, I can see a scheme of gradual improvements being lined up.. and that includes the DP of course, but I think people are a bit simplistic if they think that CFG just can tell a player where they want him to play.
But I expect to see a marquee player in Melbourne rather soon, a performing one that is
:lol:

I'd be happy if Melbourne City were getting 1/10th of what NYCFC are getting. CFG are spending $23 million (AUD) on NYCFC's marquees (source 1 source 2), so I'd be pleased if they spent $2.3 million on our marquees each season, because last season--with Josh Kennedy for only half a season and Koren certainly on less than $1 million (according to multiple media reports, e.g. source 3)-- CFG were spending well below $2.3 million on our marquees, perhaps $500k to $1m below, even though it was our debut season. 

As for Koren performing next season...well...I guessed Koren would do better in the 2nd half of the 2014/15 season, and he thoroughly proved me wrong. So I won't wager that Koren will be any better next season. Indeed, as he turns 35 just before next season starts I'm pretty confident he'll get worse.

And as for that Newcastle game, the Jets conceded 4 goals or more in 6 games last season, so I'd say there's absolutely nothing special about scoring a hattrick against the Jets last season. That match was clearly an anomaly, and Koren failed to score 1 single goal in the 19 other games he played last season (17 of which he started). So I'd say those 19 other scoreless games are much more reflective of the talent Koren now has as a player than that 1 exceptional game against crisis club Newcastle Jets last season. So sadly the cold hard evidence doesn't offer much hope for Koren next season, and the only hope is that Koren suddenly starts playing like a different (and better) player next season.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 2

I'd be happy if Melbourne City were getting 1/10th of what NYCFC are getting. CFG are spending $23 million (AUD) on NYCFC's marquees (source 1 source 2), so I'd be pleased if they spent $2.3 million on our marquees each season, because last season--with Josh Kennedy for only half a season and Koren certainly on less than $1 million (according to multiple media reports, e.g. source 3)-- CFG were spending well below $2.3 million on our marquees, perhaps $500k to $1m below, even though it was our debut season. 

As for Koren performing next season...well...I guessed Koren would do better in the 2nd half of the 2014/15 season, and he thoroughly proved me wrong. So I won't wager that Koren will be any better next season. Indeed, as he turns 35 just before next season starts I'm pretty confident he'll get worse.

And as for that Newcastle game, the Jets conceded 4 goals or more in 6 games last season, so I'd say there's absolutely nothing special about scoring a hattrick against the Jets last season. That match was clearly an anomaly, and Koren failed to score 1 single goal in the 19 other games he played last season (17 of which he started). So I'd say those 19 other scoreless games are much more reflective of the talent Koren now has as a player than that 1 exceptional game against crisis club Newcastle Jets last season. So sadly the cold hard evidence doesn't offer much hope for Koren next season, and the only hope is that Koren suddenly starts playing like a different (and better) player next season.

Elie should get this chant going for you STATMAN. :up:

IMO that's not a strong argument about expenditure Murf. This current financial year CFG have spent some A$15m capital on CFA Melbourne. Of course I don't know the figures, but I doubt that they have spent A$150m capital on facilities in New York. I don't think it's reasonable to expect itemised expenditures (capital and operating) to be in the ratio 1:10 on every item in the accounts.

I'm sure that CFG watch what happens at Melbourne City pretty closely - perhaps not as closely as we do, but they will be getting the messages that we see on here and in the local media about Villa, Koren, and the other things that irritate us, and in line with their philosophy of continual improvement they will expect better in the future both from their own management and from those at CFA Melbourne including players.

Melbourne is not in the same situation as New York, apart from having underachieved in the league so far.. Which perhaps explains why Soriano have moved to New York and intend to stay there during the midseason (yes, CFG got an apartment in NY for their CEO) to keep an eye on things.
Any news about Melbourne might perhaps be expected later, given that you lot hardly play games more than a few months a year ;)