Melbourne Derby XII - 7:45pm 1st March AAMI Park

GreenSeater

Leaves say

R

H W K G

G E M

D W R

K M A K T

If only Kewell was starting instead of Ramsey, bench could've read Kmart. Archibald to score the winner

Fuck yes, been calling it for weeks!

It looks as though Walker, Mitchinson, Mifsud and now maybe even Vranks are done at this club...

Leaves say

R

H W K G

G E M

D W R

K M A K T

If only Kewell was starting instead of Ramsey, bench could've read Kmart. Archibald to score the winner

Fuck yes, been calling it for weeks!

It looks as though Walker, Mitchinson, Mifsud and now maybe even Vranks are done at this club...

What? All three? I hope not!

Leaves say

R

H W K G

G E M

D W R

K M A K T

Wait, what? Is Velaphi the "T"??

So:

Redmayne

Hoffman   -   Wieleart   -   Kisnorbo   -   Garrucio

Germano   -   Engelaar   -   Murdocca

Dugandzic      -      Williams      -      Ramsay

Bench: Kalmar, Mauk, Archibald, Kewell, Tando

Fixed.

He doesn't wanna lose the drive that Aziz gives, so he is throwing Benny a bone, hoping he will flourish at full-back, like so many have done before him...

Edited by LR9

Leaves say

R

H W K G

G E M

D W R

K M A K T

So:

Redmayne

Fixed.

He doesn't wanna lose the drive that Aziz gives, so he is throwing Benny a bone, hoping he will flourish at full-back, like so many have done before him...

Massive risk putting Garrucio there. The kids a gun, but for this game in particular, we really should've put another of the youth players who have exeperience at LB. Expecting all of victories runs at LB.

John van ‘t Schip confident Heart defence will keep Victory at bay

Matt Windley

February 28, 2014

MELBOURNE Heart’s unsettled defence will hold firm in Saturday night’s derby according to coach John van ‘t Schip.

Heart will be without Patrick Gerhardt, who played central defence last week, and left back Aziz Behich due to suspension, but will regain Rob Wielaert from a suspension of his own for the clash with Melbourne Victory at AAMI Park.

Another centre back, Patrick Kisnorbo, sat out this morning’s training session at Epping Stadium, but the club insists his load is simply being managed and he will be fit for tomorrow night.

Victory has defensive headaches of its own with regular centre backs Adrian Leijer (facial injuries) and Pablo Contreras (suspension) unavailable.

But van ‘t Schip, who was giving away little in terms of team selection, was unconcerned about the impact of an unsettled defence.

Heart has conceded just five goals in its past six games.

“The whole team defends, the whole team attacks, so we have to help each other,” van ‘t Schip said.

“It’s not that I’m only focusing on defence or only focusing on attack, I’m focusing on the whole team.

“If one player has to be replaced then I’m confident that the other player who comes in will do a good job. We have shown that the subs that are coming in are helping us ... are doing a good job. So I’m not afraid of who has to play maybe for other players, the competition in the team is very close.”

In better news for Heart, Harry Kewell joined in full training for a second day in succession and remains a chance to return from a toe injury against Victory.

The captain, who was in sparkling form before suffering the injury against Perth in Albury on February 9, has missed two games but has been named in an extended Heart squad and moved freely during today’s session.

Van ‘t Schip did not discount the possibility that Kewell could play off the bench.

“He’s certainly in consideration for being in the game tomorrow,” he said.

“We’ll decide (if he starts) tomorrow, but it’s good to have him back. He’s important for the group, he’s important with his experience, he can lift the game, lift other players. We’ve seen the impact he’s had in the games that he’s played and we’re happy that he’s feeling OK again.”

Despite being on the bottom of the ladder, Heart is the form team of the A-League having picked up five wins and a draw in its last six games.

Victory is also in the middle of a purple patch after winning its past two league games, an Asian Champions League qualifier and also pushing defending ACL champion Guangzhou Evergrande in China midweek.

As such, tomorrow night’s game, the 12th between Victory and Heart, has been dubbed the biggest Melbourne derby in history.

Van ‘t Schip said he is looking forward to coaching against Heart’s crosstown rivals again having missed the past five encounters, but tried to downplay the significance of this particular clash.

“Every derby is big. We’ve had a few big derbies that we’ve played,” he said.

“And we’re still at the bottom of the table, they’re at the top or almost at the top of the table.

“For us it’s an important game, as it is for them, so we’ll just try to approach it and prepare as good as we can.”

Victory only returned from China last night and will have time for just one light session today before playing tomorrow night, but van ‘t Schip isn’t expecting Kevin Muscat’s men to be suffering as a result of their hectic schedule.

“It was a massive game for them, travel, playing in China, and then having to travel back, so of course they have that in their legs.

“But we all know that football is a strange game, so we’re just preparing our own game in a very good way and hopefully that will be enough to have a good result tomorrow.

“Travel or no travel, we’re not focusing on them.”

http://www.news.com.au/sport/football/john-van-t-schip-confident-heart-defence-will-keep-victory-at-bay/story-fnk9a3dc-1226840560750

Edited by Murfy1

Leaves say

R

H W K G

G E M

D W R

K M A K T

So:

Redmayne

Fixed.

Massive risk putting Garrucio there. The kids a gun, but for this game in particular, we really should've put another of the youth players who have exeperience at LB. Expecting all of victories runs at LB.

You've got a point, but JA also had a similar fear of playing younger guys.

Most times though it actually works out well (except when mitchinson had his little stint at left back)

Leaves say

R

H W K G

G E M

D W R

K M A K T

So:

Redmayne

Hoffman - Wieleart - Kisnorbo - Garrucio

Germano - Engelaar - Murdocca

Dugandzic - Williams - Ramsay

Fixed.

Could've said the same about Behich and Goodwin. I'll back him in.

• Like 1

Leaves say

R

H W K G

G E M

D W R

K M A K T

So:

Redmayne

Fixed.

You've got a point, but JA also had a similar fear of playing younger guys.

Most times though it actually works out well (except when mitchinson had his little stint at left back)

I'm not worried, he's got Kisnorbo and Mass to cover him if anything goes wrong, and he can interchange with Rambo like Aziz does.

I'd be a lot more worried if I ware a Victory fan tbh, their defence is horrid going in to this one, Galloway - Geria - Ansell - Traore, even Mifsud would do well here...

Anyway found this cool vid online from before round 1 this season, some great memories in there, decent viewing:

Edited by LR9
  • Like 3

Leaves sayRH W K GG E MD W RK M A K T

Wait, what? Is Velaphi the "T"??So:

Redmayne

Fixed. He doesn't wanna lose the drive that Aziz gives, so he is throwing Benny a bone, hoping he will flourish at full-back, like so many have done before him...Massive risk putting Garrucio there. The kids a gun, but for this game in particular, we really should've put another of the youth players who have exeperience at LB. Expecting all of victories runs at LB.You've got a point, but JA also had a similar fear of playing younger guys.Most times though it actually works out well (except when mitchinson had his little stint at left back)I'm not worried, he's got Kisnorbo and Mass to cover him if anything goes wrong, and he can interchange with Rambo like Aziz does.I'd be a lot more worried if I ware a Victory fan tbh, their defence is horrid going in to this one, Galloway - Geria - Ansell - Traore, even Mifsud would do well here...Anyway found this cool vid online from before round 1 this season, some great memories in there, decent viewing:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uy81llKnAD4

Sibon's curler !!!!! Goose bumps already. Can't wait to be at AAMI. In 24 hrs we WIN.

As far as i'm concerned, the plan should be pretty simple tomorrow: attack!

Victory's defense has been rubbish lately, with no clean-sheets this year, and they have been regularly leaking multiple goals per game recently. On top of all that, they are pretty much bound to have only kids in their back 4 tomorrow.

So Heart should press high and press together, like the team did intermittently against Brisbane last round. I can see Heart getting at least 1 goal from Victory turning the ball over in their own half.

We also should try to keep the ball longer and play out from the back regularly, if possible. IMO Heart should be able to play out from the back pretty well, because Gerhardt's out, and he is, unfortunately, a regular long ball merchant:

Gerhardt vs Brisbane - passing - 20 out of 34 completed (59%)

2rz3yv9.png

Kisnorbo, who's passing accuracy has been pretty good in recent times (he actually completed 24 out of 25 passes against Brisbane [96%]), too often plays safe passes, or plays passes back to Redmayne. Heart's highest passing combination in the Brisbane game was Kisnorbo passing back to Redmayne, with 8 passes.

Enter Wielaert. He's consistently one of Heart's most accurate passers, and often he's the player in Heart's defensive third that plays most of the forward passes, and helps the team play out from the back. Victory will most likely try to press Heart regularly, so the cool head of Wielaert could be key to Heart retaining possession.

I reckon Victory can't have the legs to play well for 90 minutes. If Heart play a high intensity game, where we press them, and keep the ball thus making them press us (as is their default tactic), then Heart should be able to run them ragged, and show why Victory have the leakiest defence in the A-League by scoring multiple goals. I'm pretty sure this is JVS' plan as well, so I believe we'll see Heart play some good attacking football tomorrow, with pressing and possession, which should be pretty effective against our opponents.

• Like 1

The template for tomorrow night was demonstrated by Evergrande in the second half of their ACL game against Victree. Press, close down and then take you opportunities. If you give Victree too much time to play, like Evergrande did in their first half, they'll do some damage. I'm confident JVS and the boys have the tactics worked out. Just now looking forward to seeing them implemented.

• Like 1

I wonder, if Kewell starts who is dropped to the bench?

My guess is either Williams or Ramsay would be dropped, and I've got a feeling it might be Williams.

Has Williams provided a single assist this season? If I remember correctly he hasn't, and that's perhaps the main reason that I think Williams would be dropped to accommodate Kewell. I'm not exactly sure who's provided the most assists this season, but I've got a feeling that Dugandzic and Ramsay are at the top of the list. I think JVS wants wide players who can provide creativity and assists, like Dugandzic did last round against Brisbane. Williams hasn't consistently provided creativity or assists (which is quite something, given that he was our number 10 for several games), so I reckon if Kewell is fit enough to start we'll see Williams return to the bench.

I can see the goal difference for us will be crucial come crunch time. Hopefully we win by 2 or more goals which will take us down to -4 which is better than every team that we suspect will be around us except sydney and wellington, Sydney are on -1 but as we know they are more than capable going full retard in games and conceding alot of goals.  

But in saying all that. When in the a league has goal difference never been important...

Edited by Dylan