Melbourne Football

Melbourne Derby XII - 7:45pm 1st March AAMI Park

GreenSeater

Lmao at the Victory scarf being lit on fire. A cop walked into the bay to tell some people to step off the seats and he didn't even notice that the scarf was on fire even though he was a meter away from it!

There was a cop near me who was pointing at it with a smirk on her face. 

Also satisfying seeing the seccos tell a bloke in a visitors jacket that he had to either remove it or leave. Brilliant.

Did anyone see which clown lit the flare? We are the Heart not Victory. We support the best (the only) team in Melbourne and don't want to get labelled as "football hooligans". Maybe we should think about policing our own area.

I think that is a great idea, the better job we do of it the more ACG will need to justify why they are there

If a flare gets ripped just tip your beers/water on it. If those responsible don't feel like heros for doing it there is a more likely chance it will stop.

When you pay $6.90 for a mid strength, theres no way you would waste a drop......

Just watched the replay and seeing a few things I missed last night. The obvious thing that stood out like dogs balls was desire and effort. Heart were clearly more energetic and pushed much harder. Not sure if this was Victory's midweek exertions, but looking at the body language of them they looked like Heart in the first 12 weeks - a bunch of blokes not enjoying themselves. Coe looked pissed off on the bench, Finkler didn't travel midweek and was appalling, Milligan unhappy and Thompson looked totally disinterested and offered nothing when he should have been pumped playing against a rookie. They didnt want it and cudos to our boys who clearly did. There's also a blossoming steel and camaraderie to out team - highlighted perfectly by the number of players who confronted Traore when he kicked out at Willo. They just look like they have each others back.

I must admit I was full of trepidation when I arrived at the ground to see Hoff and Garrucio in the back four. Wow was I wrong. The Hoff was solid and stuck to the task the whole game and has learnt to take a yellow for the team (but, as mentioned above, offered little going forward), but the Gooch was fantastic. I can't believe his closing speed - it is electric. For the kid to have the confidence to push up, create and take on one-on-ones was incredibly impressive for a debut at left back. Long may it continue.

Engelaar was pure silk and creative, but on second viewing Germano had a very good game which largely went unnoticed last night. He does those sort of things which don't get on the stats sheet like close pressure leading to an errant pass, a clearance from danger due to his sense of positioning, strength on the ball (unlike Murdocca) and a nastiness and grit in midfield which just makes it so much harder for our opponent. Milligan didn't bring that last night.

Four-nil is an amazing result laced with some good fortune. The Dugandzic goal attributed post match to Bruce Springsteen made me laugh, and Harry's finish all class. The red was harsh but we've been on the reverse side of that before. (5th red in 12 derbies cementing the reputation as a real grudge match). Weilardt and Paddy K seem to be forging a good understanding too. But there are areas for improvement. Ramsay butchered so many opportunities, two especially with two or three guys at the top of the six yard box who would have tapped in. And Willo's first touch needs a lot of work - too heavy and often poor. I really wonder how good he could be if he really worked on this. He's not too old to keep improving. I also really worry for Nick Kalmar's future - again pedestrian when he came on bar the nice long ball to Duga.

Tactically JVS back to a standard 4-3-3 and the Garrucio call inspired as opposed to the Victory keepers debut. Couldn't believe Muscat conceded the midfield - for all of the changing of forwards, they were slaughtered in midfield bar the occasional class of Rogic, so the supply forward really ordinary. Not sure what options he had with his bench and ten men, but pretty static coaching.

Well done to Yarraside and last night was by far the most red and white I've seen in the outer of a derby crowd. The turning of the tide is slow, but it's coming.

And could someone kick out the muppets in the crowd with the refs whistle?? Bloody annoying and confusing.

• Like 6

First chance to comment on the game. Great performance apart from a few things. JVS and the 4-3-3 really did open up the Victory at will. We pressed hard and the movement off the ball was great. We really should have won by 7. Harry is still a class above, fantastic goal from him.

The red at the time for me was for tugging/pulling on the shirt so the ref must have believed that Willo was in on goal otherwise. That was probably a wrong call but there should have been a red for Traore for kicking out so it really made no difference in the end.

The small negatives were the finishing and for good period after the second goal we slow the match down too much and played keep ball at the back, not testing their midfield enough.

can anyone recall what row the guy playing the drums (matty) was is in? i was sitting in the row infront and need to workout what row i was in because i want to press charges against a fellow 'melbourne heart fan' during an incident that happened to me tonight. im absolutely fuming 3 hours on.

What happened? I sit in row m and they were a few rows in front of me

That was the best Heart game ever! The "only one team in Melbourne" chant well and truly pissed Victory off.

I walked near a load of Victory fans on the way to Flinders Street down Batman Avenue and they threw stones from the footpath (blue scum dickheads) at 6 pissed up Heart fans when they went past on Melbourne bike shares chanting 4 nil! Plus, to top it off, i heard a young kid in a Victory shirt say to his Dad "can we start supporting Hearts now". I Looked at his Dad's face and presume he's grounded his kid for the rest of his life. I was laughing my tits off!  :lol:  :lol:

Cant believe how things have changed since the takeover. Really chuffed with the league position now. B)

From being down in the dumps in October last year to fighting for the top four place four months later. I'm not going to get my hopes up to much but things are looking pretty good. 

Cant wait to go work tomorrow and ask the Victory fans what the final score was.  ^_^  :lol:

• Like 1

Its amazing that it was only 6 weeks ago where we'd be going to games just hoping to score a goal (even celebrating pretending we did score a goal) to now putting 4 past decent teams. Even if we don't make finals I think we can all say how proud we are to be heart supporters and witness what has happened since JA has left. Loved when we scored last night not only did we all jump up and go spastic but everyone just hugging eachother around them after every goal (no homo lol). Seeing highlight videos you can see everyone just hugging each other with pure joy haha

I said after the last derby that we could lose every game for the rest of my life, and I'd still never even consider going back to that scum. Best decision I ever made was to follow Heart. That said, winning is a bloody great bonus, and games like last night are what I live for. Absolute magic, fucking hell I love this team. And the entire MHFC family.

So Yside weren't up to it last night? Well, GA rocked. I don't think I have seen so many in GA get so loud and stand up (then sit down) before. Well, apart from the fellow who said he was there for the football, not this supporting stuff???

I took a couple of friends and their son. Unlike the people I brought to the last derby who left at half time due to the intensity of the crowd, these people loved every minute of it and want to come again. As they are season ticket holders with Collingwood, I was quietly pleased when they told me that the noise and intensity of the derby was better than anything at the AFL. Of course it is.

And I do think Yarraside were great last night. Well done to the leaders keeping the three bays going strong. It is not easy, so top job.

Imagine if we had that as a starting point every week?

COYBIR.

• Like 1

So Yside weren't up to it last night? Well, GA rocked. I don't think I have seen so many in GA get so loud and stand up (then sit down) before. Well, apart from the fellow who said he was there for the football, not this supporting stuff???

I took a couple of friends and their son. Unlike the people I brought to the last derby who left at half time due to the intensity of the crowd, these people loved every minute of it and want to come again. As they are season ticket holders with Collingwood, I was quietly pleased when they told me that the noise and intensity of the derby was better than anything at the AFL. Of course it is.

And I do think Yarraside were great last night. Well done to the leaders keeping the three bays going strong. It is not easy, so top job.

COYBIR.

Don't know how easy it is , but if visitors active hoes in 1 bay all the way back, could ours? Might make it easier to get everyone on the same page.

COYBIR.

Wat.jpg

Being active fans isn't anyones profession, they aren't paid for what they do and there are many circumstances around certain games (derbys in particular) that don't allow for a fluid display during a game. And the 'leaders' usually have their hands pretty full trying to run through the formalities and execute tifo, keep people in-line, etc.

The GA supporters where not quite as great as you think they were, they didn't really get involved early, even with an invitation from the active fans and even after we went up 2-0!

Fancy a bloke criticising those active supporters with his armchair view...

Edited by LR9

Did anyone see which clown lit the flare? We are the Heart not Victory. We support the best (the only) team in Melbourne and don't want to get labelled as "football hooligans". Maybe we should think about policing our own area.

flares just add to the atmosphere IMO, it doesnt make us football hooligans, every club in europe does it (besides the epl).

first time that I haven't been able to make it to a derby, or a home match this season

I was playing a gig, but had quick access to  Foxtel ( at the gig) saw most of the match

ABSOLUTE HEAVEN, so proud

we could ( and should) have put at least another 3 past them

The Rebels win on Friday, then this !

My neutral (though admittedly a Roar member now living in melb) had the night of his life. He got involved and chanting, screaming hugging like the team was his own. He's normally in The Den active but he was deep down in yarraside last night.

He's even asked if he can come to the Welly game.

• Like 1

My neutral (though admittedly a Roar member now living in melb) had the night of his life. He got involved and chanting, screaming hugging like the team was his own. He's normally in The Den active but he was deep down in yarraside last night.

He's even asked if he can come to the Welly game.

That's because everyone hates the Visitor Scum :)

Edited by ChopperHeart

COYBIR.

Wat.jpg

Being active fans isn't anyones profession, they aren't paid for what they do and there are many circumstances around certain games (derbys in particular) that don't allow for a fluid display during a game. And the 'leaders' usually have their hands pretty full trying to run through the formalities and execute tifo, keep people in-line, etc.

The GA supporters where not quite as great as you think they were, they didn't really get involved early, even with an invitation from the active fans and even after we went up 2-0!

Settle down and read the discourse. G.A. were more active last night. Yarraside good as always. Great night all round. so stop flexing your epeen and enjoy the win.

Ramsay? Not sure if srs

Wielaert's been an unheralded hero for us since our revival too, Mr. Consistent. 

Wielaert has been a real leader for us, especially in defense. When he and Kisnorbo are both in the team I feel slightly better about our chances about keeping a clean sheet.

COYBIR.

Wat.jpg

Do you deliberately misinterpret other peoples' posts?

Ramsay? Not sure if srs

Wielaert's been an unheralded hero for us since our revival too, Mr. Consistent. 

Ramsey was admittedly wasteful but he absolutely murdered their right back all game.

I think he's copping a bit of undue flack for his performance

• Like 1