Melbourne Football

Matchday 18: vs Perth Glory @ Lavington Sports Oval - Sunday 9th February - 3pm EDT

Nate

FFA to ignore heat protest for Perth Glory's clash with Heart

Braden Quartermaine

February 9, 2014

PERTH Glory's controversial match against Melbourne Heart in Albury today looks set to go ahead in blazing heat at the scheduled kick-off of 3pm local time, despite the protests of both clubs.

Football Federation Australia refused to back down yesterday after furious Glory owner Tony Sage claimed players' lives would be put at risk if the match went ahead as scheduled, with a maximum temperature of 42C forecast.

Sage branded the fixturing decision "ludicrous'' and "ridiculous", but Glory CEO Jason Brewer confirmed Perth was not considering boycotting the game.

"Will it take somebody to die on the field for FFA to act?" Sage said on the SBS website.

"Going over there is an absolute nightmare for us and the game makes no sense whatsoever. The fixture really is an absolute joke.''

Glory continued its four-day road trip from hell yesterday with a three-hour bus ride from Melbourne to the Victorian border town.

The club has taken two extra sports science staff on the trip to focus on player welfare.

Glory is particularly concerned about imports Darvydas Sernas and Nebojsa Marinkovic, who recently arrived from freezing conditions in Europe.

The clubs were hopeful yesterday of delaying the kick-off for two hours until 5pm local time, but FFA is determined to stick to its rigid guidelines, which state the game must go ahead at 3pm, unless the official Wet Bulb Globe Temperature (WBGT) exceeds the 28C threshold.

Brewer said there needed to be room for common sense.

"We fully expect that common sense will prevail,'' he said.

"In the interests of the players, fans and the game, we don't want the fixture to turn into a farce.''

A-League chief Damien de Bohun said the league would not do anything to compromise player welfare.

"We have been monitoring the WBGT in Albury throughout the week and we will make a decision prior to kick-off, if the conditions look to be above the threshold,'' he said.

"Even if the WBGT is below the threshold, we will implement drinks breaks to further ensure the safety of the players and match officials on the field.

"Everyone should rest assured that player and match official safety is our primary consideration and we would not do anything to compromise their welfare."

Glory's team sheet will not feature the name Edwards for the first time this season.

Brothers Cameron and Ryan Edwards were left out of the squad. Both played for the youth team yesterday.

Their father, Alistair, was sacked as coach in December, following a player revolt.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/football/ffa-to-ignore-heat-protest-for-perth-glorys-clash-with-heart/story-fneghpqv-1226821414816

Edited by Murfy1

What was the temperature when we played Perth the first time this season? I don't remember Perth complaining even with the toll that that game took on the Hoff.

It was like 26 degrees wasnt it?

I thought it was a little bit higher, I just remember Melbourne was very cold at the time. Anyway, Harry says the boys are ready. Come on Heart.

It's been reported that between 2pm and 6pm there will be 70km/h winds to go with the 42 degree temperature.

Okay, I now fully acknowledge that it'd be inhumane to hold a football game at the hottest part of the day, it has to be postponed.

I'm just amazed at the lack of a decision and notification to the people STILL.

Edited by Nate

Lack of common sense really. Hottest time of year in the country. Should have been a Saturday night game to give people time on either side of the game to come and go at their own will. This way a lot of people are rushed after the game to get back to melbourne. Plus weather forecast for albury this coming week is around the 40 degree mark each day. What were FFA expecting, idiots.

• Like 1

Next time if we need to have a regional match take it to Ballarat, only an hour away from Melbourne, usually one of the coldest places in the state, brand new stadium, everybody wins.

The idea of a regional match issnt to just make it easier for the Melbourne supporters :droy:

• Like 4

Next time if we need to have a regional match take it to Ballarat, only an hour away from Melbourne, usually one of the coldest places in the state, brand new stadium, everybody wins.

The idea of a regional match issnt to just make it easier for the Melbourne supporters :droy:

If I had a train system as good as Ballarat's, I'd be able to go every single week

• Like 2

Well i did warn you people that it gets very hot here in Albury, and even later at 5pm it will still be very hot as it will be for the rest of the week. Yes we don't get the cool change like Melbourne so suck it up guys i think the game will be postponed till a later date, by then i will be a resident of Melbourne as we move down on Tuesday the 11th it is a pity the FFA did not take summer weather in the country into account, typical city centric headquarters. To all those who have pulled out of the trip, i think you have made a sensible call, up until last night i was going to the match but it being so hot i had decided to watch the game on Foxtel and i live about ten minutes walk from the Lavington ground do's that give you some idea how hot it is here.

Edited by johnno cpfc
  • Like 1

This is an utter shambles and all so unnecessary. FFA are principally to blame, but some blame should be sheeted home to Heart and the Albury people who worked out the finer details of the match.

Today's game should have been at AAMI Park with a later KO.

The best choice for a regional game at Albury would have been the match vs. CCM on 23rd March - already scheduled for a 3.00 p.m. KO. Simple to transfer that match to Albury.

Such a simple solution. IMO this whole shambles illustrates a lack of professionalism in the management of the game in Australia.