Melbourne Football

The Jason Hoffman Appreciation thread

Ando

• 4 weeks later...

Ex-Jet Jason Hoffman in awe of teammate David Villa

By JAMES GARDINER

Oct. 14, 2014

THE thing that surprised Jason Hoffman most about Melbourne City teammate David Villa is how normal the Spanish superstar is.

That is, of course, until the former Atletico Madrid front man takes to the pitch.

The Jets take on a Villa-inspired City at AAMI Park on Sunday afternoon.

‘‘You get star struck when you see someone like that walk into the change room,’’ said Hoffman, who grew up in Newcastle and played three seasons at the Jets before migrating south. ‘‘It has made it so much easier that the guy is so humble. 

‘‘He doesn’t want a big fuss. Even if it was offered to him, he wouldn’t want it.

‘‘He wants to be on the team bus and doing ice baths like everyone else.

‘‘He doesn’t want a big show and red carpet. He just wants to fit in and be a normal member of the team.’’

Villa may not adhere to the star mantra, but there is no doubting his star quality.

It took less than 20 minutes for the 32-year-old to create headlines after a well-taken equaliser against Sydney FC.

‘‘You have an expectation on how sharp the guy is going to be,’’ Hoffman said. ‘‘But it was still a bit of a shock how quickly he was up to pace.

‘‘Sometimes players with a very good pedigree take the standard of the A-League for granted.

‘‘This guy has shown a lot of respect to the level here. 

‘‘He has come in and means business.’’

Hoffman was a spectator for the opening round thanks to a ‘‘fairly average tackle’’ on Sydney FC’s Corey Gameiro in a loss to the Sky Blues in the FFA Cup round of 32.

Ross Archibald was solid at right back in the season opener but Hoffman is expected to be recalled for Villa’s first game in front of home fans.

‘‘You go through what seems like a hell of a pre-season and you get to round one and it is an anti-climax if you are not part of it,’’ Hoffman said.

‘‘To be suspended is even worse. It is something I had control over.

‘‘The boys did really well, but hopefully I will be back for the first home game.’’

Villa is not the only new face at Melbourne City. Former Chelsea midfielder and Irish international Damien Duff and Slovenian captain Robbie Koren have arrived as part of the transformation since Manchester City took control.

‘‘The biggest turning point was the trip to Manchester in the pre-season,’’ Hoffman said.

‘‘That was an eye-opener for a football fan, let alone be a player and go and train at [Manchester City’s training base at] Carrington.

‘‘That was when Damien Duff joined us.

‘‘We had three weeks there and stayed at a country club just outside of Manchester where Bayern Munich, PSG and Atletico Madrid have stayed when they play City.

‘‘Carrington has the best of the best. Beautiful pitches, a fully decked team lounge ... just to walk through the halls where the best players in the world walk through. It was incredible.’’

Hoffman, too, has rebuilt his game.

A stringbean striker when he left Newcastle four years ago, the 25-year-old is now entrenched in the City defence.

‘‘Growing up in Newcastle I was a goalscorer and played a lot of games for the Young Socceroos as a No.9,’’ he said. ‘‘At A-League level, to be honest, it wasn’t working for me. I wasn’t comfortable and started to develop an anxiety about having to deliver. At right back, I have found my spot. I really enjoy playing there.

‘‘Last year was the first year I cemented my name on the teamsheet every week.

‘‘I try and give a lot of energy and get up and down the touchline.’’

One of only two foundation players alongside Nick Kalmar, Hoffman has two seasons to run on his contract.

Fiancee Natasa Nenad is from Redhead and they will be married in their home city in May.

‘‘This is my fifth year in Melbourne,’’ Hoffman said.

‘‘There are things I miss about Newcastle, family being the big one.

‘‘We live in East Melbourne, right near the MCG. 

‘‘We are thoroughly enjoying the cosmo lifestyle while we are young. 

‘‘Who knows where we will end up? Newcastle is still close to the heart.’’

Hoffman played 14 minutes off the bench in the Jets’ 1-0 win over Central Coast in the 2007-08 grand final.

It remains the highlight of an A-League career that is nearing 100 games.

Joel Griffiths and keeper Ben Kennedy are the only survivors from the Jets’ championship campaign.

But Hoffman is far from underestimating his old club.

‘‘They are coming here off the back of a good performance against the Mariners,’’ he said.

‘‘They had the better of that game and should have won.

‘‘They are a physical side and will not give us anything, especially in midfield.

‘‘Against the Mariners, Taylor [Regan] and Jacob [Pepper] were really aggressive. Griff was aggressive as he always is.

‘‘As long as we are ready for that. Once the dust settles our game will come through.

‘‘Since we started wearing that City logo, there has been an expectation that this is how we play and we will do it better than anyone.’’

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/2624847/hoffman-in-awe-of-villa/?cs=4173

Pray tell what the haters thought hoff did wrong today that was any worse than the other 10 on the pitch.

Was solid IMO

post #671

defended competently but poor pass accuracy and shot choice when moving forward, he is one of the ones responsible for us being able to make little from our domination.