Melbourne Football

The Jason Hoffman Appreciation thread

Ando

Hoff made a few little errors that weren't that great, but overall he had a solid game and credit were credit's due, he created the opportunity for Duganizic's run that led to the goal.

He's not gunna make the team of the week with games like that but he's going to deservedly hold his spot.

Expect that he made bozza's team of the week ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Hoffman steps backward step to go forward

Josh Leeson

March 7, 2014

NOVOCASTRIAN Melbourne Heart defender Jason Hoffman hopes his successful reinvention as a right fullback will lead to a new contract with the go-ahead A-League club.

The 25-year-old, who is a foundation player for the Heart, is in advanced talks and is expected to re-sign shortly.

‘‘My manager has been in talks with the club and we’re pretty close to coming to an agreement and making it all official,’’ Hoffman told the Newcastle Herald.

‘‘Up until then I’m still concentrating  week to week on playing good football. When the club is ready to finalise things they’ll make it official.’’

Given the little brother of A-League football in Melbourne is about to become the richest in the land after English Premier League giants Manchester City bought the Heart, Hoffman’s extension could be perfectly timed.

Manchester City are expected to deliver the Heart with the best off-field resources in the A-League, plus a star-studded roster. 

‘‘I’ve had four years down there and there’s only a few of us that are remaining from the first season,’’ he said. ‘‘I’d love to stay here as they’re exciting times for the club.’’

Hoffman’s short-term focus is centred on extending the Heart’s revival to six straight wins over his former club, Newcastle Jets, today at Hunter Stadium.

The Mayfield United and Hamilton Olympic junior played 29 games for the Jets from 2007 to  2010, mostly as a striker or winger, but could never cement a position.

In four years at the Heart he has played 60 games, but not until this season’s move to right back has he become a regular fixture in the starting XI.

Former Heart coach John Aloisi first trialled Hoffman at right back late last season.

During the off-season Aloisi’s assistant and former Socceroos centre back Hayden Foxe worked hard to convert Hoffman into a defender.

‘‘I was pretty open to it,’’ Hoffman said. ‘‘I’d been used as a utility for most of my A-League career, so the chance to cement a spot regularly in the A-League was obviously very appealing and the chance to call one position home was what I always wanted.

‘‘I’ve always been open to something new, and being a fullback was certainly something exciting. 

‘‘That was a challenge that I couldn’t wait for.’’

Aloisi’s replacement, John van ’t Schip, has continued to use Hoffman at right back and has encouraged him to follow his instincts and push high up the pitch.

Learning the defensive intricacies of his new role has been more challenging.

‘‘A lot of it was definitely my positioning. Once we get in a one-on-one situation, instincts can kick in, but if your positioning isn’t right and your knowledge of the position isn’t up to scratch, then you will get found out.

‘‘That was something I had to work on very hard.’’

Hunter Stadium holds plenty of special memories for Hoffman from his Jets days and many family and friends are expected to be in the stands this evening.

However, with just two points separating the eighth-placed Jets (26) and ninth-placed Heart (24) there will be no room for sentiment for Hoffman as the result is vital for both clubs’ finals hopes.

‘‘We’re expecting them to be at their best,’’ he said.

‘‘If Newcastle play like they have throughout the year, then we know it’s going to be very difficult for us.’’

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/2135670/hoffman-steps-backward-step-to-go-forward/?cs=391

Edited by Murfy1

Watching last nights match Hoffman is so far advanced on both Geria and Seip it's not funny.

Ok Seip was playing away from his preffered CB role but any time he got forward his distribution was woeful. While Geria continually turns the ball over.

Hoffman is no world beater but in a salary capped league he does his job. Rarely gets skinned, his passing is good and now we're seeing him start to get forward more often.

• Like 3

Hoffman steps backward step to go forward

Josh Leeson

March 7, 2014

NOVOCASTRIAN Melbourne Heart defender Jason Hoffman hopes his successful reinvention as a right fullback will lead to a new contract with the go-ahead A-League club.

The 25-year-old, who is a foundation player for the Heart, is in advanced talks and is expected to re-sign shortly.

‘‘My manager has been in talks with the club and we’re pretty close to coming to an agreement and making it all official,’’ Hoffman told the Newcastle Herald.

‘‘Up until then I’m still concentrating  week to week on playing good football. When the club is ready to finalise things they’ll make it official.’’

Given the little brother of A-League football in Melbourne is about to become the richest in the land after English Premier League giants Manchester City bought the Heart, Hoffman’s extension could be perfectly timed.

Manchester City are expected to deliver the Heart with the best off-field resources in the A-League, plus a star-studded roster. 

‘‘I’ve had four years down there and there’s only a few of us that are remaining from the first season,’’ he said. ‘‘I’d love to stay here as they’re exciting times for the club.’’

Hoffman’s short-term focus is centred on extending the Heart’s revival to six straight wins over his former club, Newcastle Jets, today at Hunter Stadium.

The Mayfield United and Hamilton Olympic junior played 29 games for the Jets from 2007 to  2010, mostly as a striker or winger, but could never cement a position.

In four years at the Heart he has played 60 games, but not until this season’s move to right back has he become a regular fixture in the starting XI.

Former Heart coach John Aloisi first trialled Hoffman at right back late last season.

During the off-season Aloisi’s assistant and former Socceroos centre back Hayden Foxe worked hard to convert Hoffman into a defender.

‘‘I was pretty open to it,’’ Hoffman said. ‘‘I’d been used as a utility for most of my A-League career, so the chance to cement a spot regularly in the A-League was obviously very appealing and the chance to call one position home was what I always wanted.

‘‘I’ve always been open to something new, and being a fullback was certainly something exciting. 

‘‘That was a challenge that I couldn’t wait for.’’

Aloisi’s replacement, John van ’t Schip, has continued to use Hoffman at right back and has encouraged him to follow his instincts and push high up the pitch.

Learning the defensive intricacies of his new role has been more challenging.

‘‘A lot of it was definitely my positioning. Once we get in a one-on-one situation, instincts can kick in, but if your positioning isn’t right and your knowledge of the position isn’t up to scratch, then you will get found out.

‘‘That was something I had to work on very hard.’’

Hunter Stadium holds plenty of special memories for Hoffman from his Jets days and many family and friends are expected to be in the stands this evening.

However, with just two points separating the eighth-placed Jets (26) and ninth-placed Heart (24) there will be no room for sentiment for Hoffman as the result is vital for both clubs’ finals hopes.

‘‘We’re expecting them to be at their best,’’ he said.

‘‘If Newcastle play like they have throughout the year, then we know it’s going to be very difficult for us.’’

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/2135670/hoffman-steps-backward-step-to-go-forward/?cs=391

So, the report from Davutovic that he had re-signed was untrue. And likely so was the same report on Velaphi.

Thank goodness for that. There will be a proper assessment at the end of the season on all our players, with major input from Manchester City. As there should be.

Watching last nights match Hoffman is so far advanced on both Geria and Seip it's not funny.

Ok Seip was playing away from his preffered CB role but any time he got forward his distribution was woeful. While Geria continually turns the ball over.

Hoffman is no world beater but in a salary capped league he does his job. Rarely gets skinned, his passing is good and now we're seeing him start to get forward more often.

As soon as you start putting together a squad in your head, you quickly realise that an established star in every position plus a few extras in the squad is not going to make it under the cap (which is the whole idea).  There is a definite market for guys like Hoffman who can play a role but can't demand big salaries.  He will play A league next year.

For us the decision has to be re-sign him, or get a young fella instead.  We simply couldn't afford to keep the quality we have, bring in Mooy, look to squeeze Engelaar in AND go out and get a classy RB.

As soon as you start putting together a squad in your head, you quickly realise that an established star in every position plus a few extras in the squad is not going to make it under the cap (which is the whole idea).  There is a definite market for guys like Hoffman who can play a role but can't demand big salaries.  He will play A league next year.

For us the decision has to be re-sign him, or get a young fella instead.  We simply couldn't afford to keep the quality we have, bring in Mooy, look to squeeze Engelaar in AND go out and get a classy RB.

The cap is why I'd expect us to have a squad with more of our ex-youth players on close to base salaries rather than mid-20s journeymen who want more than that.

Hoffman has been fantastic for most of the season, I've gained a lot of respect for the bloke.

He's definitely not the greatest player going around but he fulfills his role for the team most weeks and has been a hell of a lot more solid over the last couple of months compared to his very shaky start. 

As others have mentioned, he's a great squad player to have in a salary-capped competition as he knows he can't demand too much or he'll be replaced by a youth player.

It wouldn't surprise me if Hoffman had already actually been re-signed and Hoffman is keeping a lid on it, or Hoffman is as good as re-signed (and it's just a formality now to confirm it). I hate guessing against Davutovic, as he has a real habit of being right about football in Melbourne. Hoffman saying "When the club is ready to finalise things they’ll make it official" suggests one of these two possibilities, and it suggests that Melbourne Heart and presumably Man City don't want to 'finalise' or announce a lot of things for next season right now.

This article is also clear evidence that Man City people are already negotiating and working on recruiting players for next season (even if they don't finalise things for a bit. Maybe they will only finalise/make announcements at the end of the season). Which is good IMO, as I think Heart could lose out on some good players if we literally wait to do everything for next season, or almost everything, after this season is finished.

Hoffman is reported to be on minimum wage this season, and in recent weeks Hoffman has been solid. I also think Hoffman is becoming a more attacking fullback now that JVS is coach, so he's noticeably improving a key part of his game that I thought he was lacking.

Also, there are precious few good alternative RBs out there, who are Australian and who could be signed inside the salary cap. Maybe the only surest way we could improve at RB was if Heart signed Luke Wilkshire, who would take up the Aussie marquee deal, which would be a waste IMO.

So if we re-sign Hoffman, and especially if we re-sign him on low wages, then it's probably a good move.

Edited by Murfy1

Hoffman on minimum wage is a good move. Versatile squad player. If he's in our youth team it's good news though. He's a very average player and today was very poor. He wasn't alone. Behich, Ramsay and Williams were all incredibly poor. These guys are average to good A League players and if they are poor it really shows. All should be on minimum wage or close to but we know that isn't the case.

Just some advice hoff, its you read this forum at all.

Instead of slowly jogging over to the sideline, to take a throw-in that you're going to throw directly to the opposition, just let the opposition take it and save yourself the trouble of jogging over there.

Cheers :up:

Hoffman on minimum wage is a good move. Versatile squad player. If he's in our youth team it's good news though. He's a very average player and today was very poor. He wasn't alone. Behich, Ramsay and Williams were all incredibly poor. These guys are average to good A League players and if they are poor it really shows. All should be on minimum wage or close to but we know that isn't the case.

Do you know what the minimum wage is?

It's absolute shit. You're battling to exist off it, let alone build up a nest egg for retirement which is needed for all professional footballers due to how short their careers are. 

Anyone getting a regular game in the A League and being paid anywhere near the minimum wage should look to leave the club and play overseas in a weaker competition where there is no salary cap and where they will get paid much more. 

It's absolute shit. You're battling to exist off it, let alone build up a nest egg for retirement which is needed for all professional footballers due to how short their careers are. 

Anyone getting a regular game in the A League and being paid anywhere near the minimum wage should look to leave the club and play overseas in a weaker competition where there is no salary cap and where they will get paid much more. 

Or they could go get a real job.

That's up to him. I certainly wouldn't offer him any more than minimum wage allowed in the salary cap. He should be a squad player who doesn't play unless injuries occur.

If he wants more money and opportunities then he will reject the contract offer and pursue those opportunities. That's the real world.

He is not worth any more than minimum. It would be absolutely shocking list management to offer average A League talent more than that.

• Like 1

At present the national minimum wage for adults is $622.20 per week, i.e. $32,354 p.a. It applies to those who do not have an award or agreement.

The A-League minimum wage is $50,000 (excluding superannuation and any match payments) ($40,000 for players under 20). 

http://www.pfa.net.au/index.php?id=5&tx_ttnews%5Btt_news%5D=484&tx_ttnews%5BbackPid%5D=4&cHash=32494252a1

Edited by jw1739

At present the national minimum wage for adults is $622.20 per week, i.e. $32,354 p.a. It applies to those who do not have an award or agreement.

The A-League minimum wage is $50,000 (excluding superannuation and any match payments) ($40,000 for players under 20). 

http://www.pfa.net.au/index.php?id=5&tx_ttnews%5Btt_news%5D=484&tx_ttnews%5BbackPid%5D=4&cHash=32494252a1

Again not exactly bad

As only one of two original signings still at Melbourne Heart, Jason Hoffman is ready for the revolution

Matt Windley

March 15, 2015

JASON Hoffman just smiles when it’s put to him that he is a survivor.

By definition at Melbourne Heart he is given that he and Nick Kalmar are the only two original signings to have played all four seasons at the club in their entirety.

But when you consider that the 25-year-old has been, until this season, far from a regular starter under John van ‘t Schip and John Aloisi, he must have been doing something right to maintain his spot on the list.

Having made the transition from being an attacking player to a right back, Hoffman is now flying.

He’s made 17 starts this season — the most of any year at either Heart or original club Newcastle — and it wouldn’t be a stretch to say that he is in contention to win the club’s best and fairest award.

But Hoffman admits there was a time when he doubted whether things would work out for him.

So concerned was he that he was playing each week just to maintain his spot in the side, Hoffman said there were times where he tried too hard and others that he lived in fear of making mistakes.

He refers to such a mentality as his “biggest demon” and something he had to change.

“You’ve got to be honest with yourself,” he says.

“There was a period there where I was a utility player, I guess just a good squad player, but I knew if I kept working hard and survived that period then I would get my chance to become a regular.

“Definitely there were times where I sat back and thought: ‘Where is my best position? Where do I fit in to an A-League team?’

“Those thoughts can go through your mind and you wonder how I might be able to take my career forward and achieve the goals I want to achieve.

“But in working really hard and being open to change this door opened for me to become a right back and I’m doing my best every day to try and take that opportunity with both hands.”

So honest in his own self-assessment is he that Hoffman even speaks openly about past conversations he had with fans about his form.

“I’d go to promotions and some people would say that they’d like to see more from me and that they were disappointed in me and whatnot,” he says.

“When I came in the past and I wasn’t playing at my best I could understand their frustrations. But all you can ever do as a player is try and work hard ... and if you keep doing that over time then hopefully the fans will change.

“So far this year I’ve had a lot of good feedback from the fans and I guess that makes me pretty happy.”

Out of contract at season’s end, Hoffman’s form should see him secure a new deal.

But how, given that “squad player” tag he put on himself, has he been able to maintain his place at Heart previously?

“My biggest demon, I guess, was to cut the nonsense out and get rid of all that pressure I was putting on myself so I could perform on match day like I was at training,” he says.

“Maybe that’s why I have been a survivor, because the coaches have seen that potential in me. This season I’ve worked on it very hard, mentally I feel like I’m in a good place and am performing better because of it.

“It’d be great to stay at the club too with all the stuff happening with Manchester City, so let’s hope that survivor tag continues.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/as-only-one-of-two-original-signings-still-at-melbourne-heart-jason-hoffman-is-ready-for-the-revolution/story-fnk6pqhd-1226855722504

Edited by Murfy1

Poor game today. One of the principal culprits for passing the ball backwards and sideways.

dare you to name players that always passed forward in today's game. Or at least had a majority of forward passing.

Yeah Jonny. You're not the only one who can put together a football quiz lol.

Most of the team was average today. From what I saw Hoffman was the better of our two full backs today, possibly even our most reliable defender. His shot was off target but had good power and height. Not really a defining moment in the game.

I don't know why he is listening to the opinions of supporters re: his game. Surely he would just get on and do his best at all times. At least now it sounds as if people are being nice to him. I will be interested to see if the club view him as our right back next season.

Hoff was hilarious yesterday, we just sat there laughing everytime he got the ball, ran forward 5 metres, propped and passed backwards.

There were times he could have played it down the line for Mate to run on to and whip in a cross, but he just propped and passed backwards.

There were times he could have knocked it past their left back, run on to it and whipped in a cross himself (He showed that he has the capable speed), but he just propped and passed it backwards.

The only time he tried to go past a player, he just ran straight at the defender, no step overs, no dummies, just literally ran into him with the ball and lost possession. Classic Hoffy, had me in stitches.

He did defend well though.

Poor game today. One of the principal culprits for passing the ball backwards and sideways.

dare you to name players that always passed forward in today's game. Or at least had a majority of forward passing.

Yeah Jonny. You're not the only one who can put together a football quiz lol.

Most of the team was average today. From what I saw Hoffman was the better of our two full backs today, possibly even our most reliable defender. His shot was off target but had good power and height. Not really a defining moment in the game.

I don't know why he is listening to the opinions of supporters re: his game. Surely he would just get on and do his best at all times. At least now it sounds as if people are being nice to him. I will be interested to see if the club view him as our right back next season.

Let me tell you it's a lot easier to put together a football quiz than it is to answer questions about Heart's playing performances.

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately it is true.

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/melbourneheart/news-display/Hoffman-and-Velaphi-Extend-Contracts/88871

My hopes for next season and beyond have taken a dive.

Melbourne Heart FC Head Coach John van’t Schip said both players would be great assets next season.

“Jason has been one of our standout players and consistent performers this season and has demonstrated his versatility in converting from a midfielder to a right-back,” van’t Schip said.

“Jason has been with us since day one and he has been an important part of our team, while Tando is an excellent goalkeeper, a true professional and the type of person we want at our Club.

“Tando has been fantastic in training and he has great chemistry with Andrew, with both goalkeepers helping to develop each other.”

Edited by jw1739