Melbourne Football

The Jason Hoffman Appreciation thread

Ando

I think all players including the Hoff deserve a fresh start under the new regime. We all know he has good natural ability and great fitness. With the world class coaching we will have in place soon enough I think he can improve and continue to be a versatile squaddie.

He has been in the A League system for over six years... and peaked in his first year.

If he was a horse he would either be jumping at Warrnambool or turned into Glue.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 3

Why would a person 'work' full time as a professional footballer for minimum wage?

He can work in a factory packing plastic and earn more than $50k!

Because most Footballers usually have an undying belief (Right until they can barely walk anymore and have to retire) that they can still improve and become a better player...

Why would a person 'work' full time as a professional footballer for minimum wage?

He can work in a factory packing plastic and earn more than $50k!

Median annual salary for full time employees in Australia is around 55k so it really isn't bad.

Just wish someone else would be given a chance tbh.

What would be the difference in giving a young player a chance over playing hoff? A youth player at least has the chance to get better, does anyone honestly believe hoffman can get better? 

Hoffmans had more than enough chances, he blew it, and should've been moved on.

• Like 1

Think most on here are a bit unfair to the Hoff.

It the rest if the team had shown his consistency we would all be looking forward to finals.

His job is to defend first and he has don't that well most weeks. Think only Sidnei gave him the run around.

Hoff is here to stay. Walker.

• Like 2

I'd gladly get paid 50k a year to play games with my mates and be a professional athlete. Good lifestyle, you stay healthy and well looked after, and especially with City rocking up it would be pretty exciting to have the prospect of being able to see how they operate from the inside.

I like Hoffman. He is certainly nothing amazing but he is a success story of someone who has worked hard and persisted and through a little bit of luck has managed to make somewhat of a career in soccer. Many of my favourite sportsmen have been guys whose endeavour and will to work have made up for their lack of ability, and I'd rather the consistent, reliable, professional Hoffman than the inconsistent and all too lazy players like Gol Gol.

Think most on here are a bit unfair to the Hoff.

It the rest if the team had shown his consistency we would all be looking forward to finals.

His job is to defend first and he has don't that well most weeks. Think only Sidnei gave him the run around.

Hoff is here to stay. Walker.

There's no doubting that he's consistent, the issue is his overall contribution to the team style and effectiveness. It isn't high.

The A-league does seem to have a real lack of quality RB/LB's, so I'm not too fussed about the re-signing of Hoff. He's pretty steady choice, wholly uninspiring but means we don't have to fork out more cash for a Franjic/Rose type player or use up a visa spot on the position. 

The A-league does seem to have a real lack of quality RB/LB's, so I'm not too fussed about the re-signing of Hoff. He's pretty steady choice, wholly uninspiring but means we don't have to fork out more cash for a Franjic/Rose type player or use up a visa spot on the position. 

That would be fine of we didn't have a style of play that creates width through attacking RB and LBs. They are 2 of our most important positions

• Like 1

It's not that hard to believe that in a squad you would have squad players, the great, average, middle-road consistency players, of which Hoffman is from.

But I like the direction this thread is heading in. The seriousness we are treating Hoffman's re-signing can only escalate.

Hoffman for Aussie Marquee at the end of his contract.

Hoff's average consistency means that he maintains a level that is above "mediocre" and below "significant contribution". 

I'd rate him as mediocre not bad, however we are trying to improve from mediocre! I have nothing against him personally

Edited by belaguttman

I have tried to watch him as much as possible at home games and I agree with most that when he attacks he usually stops and normally passes back. But I think his defending has been great, his tackles are so clean and quick and against brisbane he did a great job on Borich

Edited by Dylan

Hoff's average consistency means that he maintains a level that is above "mediocre" and below "significant contribution". 

I'd rate him as mediocre not bad, however we are trying to improve from mediocre! I have nothing against him personally

True, but due to the salary cap requirement of this league we can't have a squad full of top class (compared to the rest of league) players.

We need to be able to spend well and identify value for money where possible. If Hoff is on a small wage then I have no problem with this signing, he's a handy player who can do a decent job in a number of positions.

I'd be more concerned that we're keeping Redmayne to be honest, especially since I fear he may be on a semi-decent salary.

Edited by King Malta

True, but due to the salary cap requirement of this league we can't have a squad full of top class (compared to the rest of league) players.

We need to be able to spend well and identify value for money where possible. If Hoff is on a small wage then I have no problem with this signing, he's a handy player who can do a decent job in a number of positions.

I'd be more concerned that we're keeping Redmayne to be honest, especially since I fear he may be on a semi-decent salary.

That's true. Indeed, the salary cap is (partly) intended to level out the clubs so that they all have a chance of winning the competition, unlike a number of overseas leagues where there is a handful of clubs regularly at the top and the remainder just make up the numbers.

If we draw up an aggregate league table for the four seasons for the present ten clubs I wonder how we fare - we will be in the bottom four for sure.

So I think it reasonable that Heart supporters are asking the questions that we are asking.

That's true. Indeed, the salary cap is (partly) intended to level out the clubs so that they all have a chance of winning the competition, unlike a number of overseas leagues where there is a handful of clubs regularly at the top and the remainder just make up the numbers.

If we draw up an aggregate league table for the four seasons for the present ten clubs I wonder how we fare - we will be in the bottom four for sure.

So I think it reasonable that Heart supporters are asking the questions that we are asking.

Oh I can definitely understand the apprehension mate, I just think we need to try and let this new Administration do some work before we get too worried.

We're not going to turn into the best club in the league overnight but I honestly believe the City Group will be doing their best to get us there.

• Like 1

the one telling point from the match against Brisbane on the 28th of March was : when Weilaart came of THE CAPTAINS ARMBAND WENT TO THE HOFF who would ever have thought that ?

THE HOFF WILL BE LEADING THE HEART NEXT SEASON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the one telling point from the match against Brisbane on the 28th of March was : when Weilaart came of THE CAPTAINS ARMBAND WENT TO THE HOFF who would ever have thought that ?

THE HOFF WILL BE LEADING THE HEART NEXT SEASON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He was simply made fourth in line for captain this season (I think Gerhardt was third? I'm sure I saw him with the armband once?). I doubt they put much thought in to choosing fourth in line (or even third if that was the case).