Melbourne Football

Matchday 15: v Newcastle Jets, 7:30 AAMI Park

LR9

The best part of last night for me was seeing all the supporters standing around after the final whistle smiling, looking at each other, a sort of mixture of relief and happiness like a massive weight was lifted of us all. Smiles I hadn't seen for a long time.

Ā 

This was a big positive. It looked to me like nearly all of the 5,000 stayed after the final whistle to acknowledge the team. And throughout the game on a number of occasions a lot of the general admin and premium supporters got involved in the chants (especially the Dugandzic chant and the oh ah Engelaar. IMO the simple chants and stuff, like WSW 'who do we sing for' chant, is what get a lot of non-active supporters involved).

Ā 

It's a very good sign of health that Heart has 5,000 truly rusted on supporters that will clearly stick by the club no matter what (like Heart's supporters have after the 19 games winless streak, pretty much 11 months winless).

• Like 1

Mentions that the sale is imminent. Also a good summary and write up of the match:

Ā 

Ā 

Melbourne Heart end run of 19 winless matches with 3-1 victory over Newcastle Jets

Ā 

David Davutovic Ā  Herald Sun Ā  January 17, 2014

Ā 

AN unrecognisable Melbourne Heart produced its best performance of the season beating Newcastle Jets 3-1 in a dominant display on Friday night at AAMI Park.

Ā 

Heart recorded its first win in 11 months to ensure it didn't break an unwanted record of 20 consecutive games without a win.

Ā 

A poor crowd of 5046 was on hand to watch Heart's 100th A-League game but the loyal fans were rewarded with a high-octane display where confidence and pride were restored for the battered side.

Ā 

A brace from an excellent Mate Dugandzic sealed the win after Iain Ramsay equalised via a lucky deflection.

Ā 

It was Kewell's liveliest performance in a Heart shirt and he controlled the game in the attacking third.

Ā 

And marquee Orlando Engelaar made his long awaited debut after recovering from a broken leg, playing the last 31 minutes.

Ā 

Though Heart is still rooted to the bottom, six points behind second last Wellington, the signs were good for John van't Schip's side and suggested they'll be a much tougher proposition in the final 12 games.

Ā 

The imminent sale is also bound to lift morale.

Ā 

But the collective sense of relief after the second goal, a Dugandzic header just before half-time after a top Aziz Behich cross, was a good sign while the players appeared to be making up for lost time in the second stanza with Heart unlucky not to put five past the hapless Jets.

Ā 

Heart had a host of early chances, with Iain Ramsay and Harry Kewell forcing a good saves from Mark Birighitti inside seven minutes.

Ā 

Heart appealed for a penalty midway through the first half when Birighitti collected David Williams but replays showed he got the ball first.

Ā 

Williams needed treatment and unfortunately for him his night was soon over, with Michael Mifsud earning a reprieve within 32 minutes after being dropped.

Ā 

Moments later the Jets opened the scoring when stopper Taylor Regan headed home former Heart winger Craig Goodwin's corner.

Ā 

Van't Schip told the players to be more mentally resilient and the message was clearly heeded as the Jets goal sparked the home side into action.

Ā 

Mifsud struck a venomous shot from distance but it wasn't long before Heart equalised, with Ramsay striking from the edge of the penalty box _ via a wicked Kew Jaliens deflection _ after Kewell headed it down for him.

Ā 

And Heart had a second in first half stoppage time when Behich sent in a brilliant low, zipping cross tucked away by a neat Dugandzic header.

Ā 

Jets coach Gary van Egmond made a double sub at half time, withdrawing James Virgili and Sam Gallaway for James Brown and former Melbourne Victory and Perth Glory player Nick Ward, who was making his Jets debut.

Ā 

The pair made the Jets more threatening with Brown forcing a good save from Redmayne.

But after taking a bit to settle it was Heart next on the scoresheet with Ramsay releasing Dugandzic who cleverly tucked it under Birighitti.

Ā 

Mifsud, Kewell and Dugandzic all had chances to make the scoreline uglier for the Jets but failed to capitalise.

Ā 

It didn't stop the players from celebrating with the patient fans well after the final whistle.

Ā 

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/melbourne-heart-end-run-of-19-winless-matches-with-31-victory-over-newcastle-jets/story-fnk6pqhd-1226804437406

Edited by Murfy1

The same 3 or 4 blokes who called security on us at the derby because we were supposedly standing in their seats were having a go at the kids in front of them waving the flags last night. Didn't get a favourable response from them when I provided some alternative locations to go.

I'm so sick of these guys. Have seen them on a number or occasions complaining about seat allocation and starting their own shitty chants etc

• Like 1

Now that I have seen the game twice (recorded - there aren't that many highlights for the Heart this season), the team is beginning to come together. Everyone has lifted some more than others - Ramsay has been the biggest improver under JvS and Kewell is getting match fit. Also on Friday night we saw glimpses of Behich and Dugandzic of old. Mifsud has not improved (is he aware of who is around him?) but I thought that our defence has also improved a lot. Neither Wieleart nor Gerhardt gave away stupid fouls. The defence had one costly lapse of concentration but that was about it. The only sour news was the injury to David Williams and so far I have not been able to find out what the injury is.

• Like 1

The same 3 or 4 blokes who called security on us at the derby because we were supposedly standing in their seats were having a go at the kids in front of them waving the flags last night. Didn't get a favourable response from them when I provided some alternative locations to go.

I'm so sick of these guys. Have seen them on a number or occasions complaining about seat allocation and starting their own shitty chants etc

Now that I have seen the game twice (recorded - there aren't that many highlights for the Heart this season), the team is beginning to come together. Everyone has lifted some more than others - Ramsay has been the biggest improver under JvS and Kewell is getting match fit. Also on Friday night we saw glimpses of Behich and Dugandzic of old. Mifsud has not improved (is he aware of who is around him?) but I thought that our defence has also improved a lot. Neither Wieleart nor Gerhardt gave away stupid fouls. The defence had one costly lapse of concentration but that was about it. The only sour news was the injury to David Williams and so far I have not been able to find out what the injury is.

Willo's injury is his ankle and apparently not too serious. His knee is ok.

Bizarre source. I was sitting in a cafe at Aireys Inlet yesterday when the conversation at the next table was about Heart's great win. Turned out it was a close friend of Willo's who had spoken to him after the game. We had a good chat about the game and our relief at the win. Just strange to hear someone speaking out loud about our team in a positive light - has been so long. May there be more of it!!

Wielaert cost us that first goal. Defensive error, lost his man.

After Farina was sacked from the Socceroos in 2005 and Hiddink took over, the first thing Hiddink said was that we defend too deep.

Ā 

And so it is with Heart. Ā 

Ā 

In this game there were a couple of Ā times were let the Jest players in to the 6 yard box, and we had about 9 outfielders in the penalty box that more by luck and weight of numbers scrambled the ball away.

Ā 

That has to change.

After watching the replay again and again it looks like it should have been Ramsay tracking him, instead of just standing there looking stunned. I though Wielart had marked another man and stayed with him.

• Like 1

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

I just had a look at the match once again - Wieleart was on Jaliens who he followed through to the near goal post. Wieleart did not lose his man. It is not clear on the replay who the heart player that was minding Regan but it appears that it was Kewell (the angle of the camera does not show the players shirt). What Jaliens did was that he ran to interpose between Kewell and Regan followed by Wieleart, then Regan peeled back whilst Kewell kept his eye on the ball and Wieleart and Jaliens ended up at the near goal post.

Ā 

Ā 

After watching the replay again and again it looks like it should have been Ramsay tracking him, instead of just standing there looking stunned. I though Wielart had marked another man and stayed with him.

Ā 

Ā 

I think that Ramsay was minding Zadkovich who was standing outside the box ready to cut across the back. Ramsay was in a position to cut him off or get to the ball if there was a rebound.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

I just had a look at the match once again - Wieleart was on Jaliens who he followed through to the near goal post. Wieleart did not lose his man. It is not clear on the replay who the heart player that was minding Regan but it appears that it was Kewell (the angle of the camera does not show the players shirt). What Jaliens did was that he ran to interpose between Kewell and Regan followed by Wieleart, then Regan peeled back whilst Kewell kept his eye on the ball and Wieleart and Jaliens ended up at the near goal post.

Ā 

Ā 

Changed my mind it wasn't Kewell it was Behich - the beard gives it away. The run by Jaliens into Regan/Behich confused both Wieleart and Behich with both of them going after Jaliens and then Behich pulled back when he realised that Wieleart was also there. Have to admit that Jaliens's run was well timed and executed. I would like to think that Behich/ Wieleart will learn from that but given their age I must temper my optimism. Also we cannot tell but I wonder if Ramsay would have alerted Behich on the fact that Regan had broken clearly from Behich.

I'll have a look again but I remember wielaert and another of our players(Behich from memory?) marking two of their players on the penalty spot. Wielaert runs towards the front post before the cross comes in leaving regan by himself. By the time the cross came in wielart was not covering anyone.

Edited by n i k o

Photo gallery of the night i found on Hearts twitter:

Ā 

http://www.sportsgraphy.net/hyundai-a-league-rd15-melbourne-heart-fc-vs-newcastle-jets-fc/

Ā 

Some good photos of yarraside in there.

IMO photography emphasizes all those vacant seats around the ground. Much more obvious than the impression I get when actually at the game.

Edited by jw1739

http://www.sportsgraphy.net/hyundai-a-league-rd15-melbourne-heart-fc-vs-newcastle-jets-fc/

Frank does some great work. Very talented man.

*very typical of the club to post a link to his gallery on their official social media sites rather than pay him and use them legitimately. So professional.

Edited by KSK_47
  • Like 2

Haha nah yeah that was the same bunch, there was one of them who was trying to outsing the Y/Side blokes (the redhead in the polo) and managed to get some people in his immediate vicinity to do the same, the others didn't do shit though.Ā Was the same story against the Tards.

Ā 

Are they the same guys that didn`t sit down,during the first half protest once ? :)

Ā 

Frank does some great work. Very talented man.

*very typical of the club to post a link to his gallery on their official social media sites rather than pay him and use them legitimately. So professional.

Ā 

So unprofessional. Fkn embarrassing. .

Ā 

Just read that GvE has been sacked! Incredible!

Ā 

I guess that MHT has claimed their first scalp.

Second I think, didn't Ferguson lose his job at Perth after the unthinkable happened and they lost to us?

Ā 

Can't really remember whether that was us or not. I do remember that Ferguson stating that the club did not have enough money to get the players that the club required. This pissed off Tony Sage who went public saying that not only had PG enough money to meet the salary cap but there was also an additional $1M (or therabouts) for a marquee and that all the players in the squad were selected and approved by Ferguson. A few seconds later Ferguson was history.

Engelaar said 'Ā the defence was very solid ... I think the defence deserves some credit too' and 'I thought Patrick Gerhardt had a very good game, Robbie (Weilart) had a good game (versus Newcastle)'.

Ā 

So here's the stats about our defence against Newcastle (from 442 StatszoneĀ http://www.fourfourtwo.com/au/statszone):

Ā 

Tackles
Hoffman Ā 9 (out of 10)
Murdocca 5 (out of 6)
Kewell Ā  3 (out of 6)
Kalmar Ā  3 (out of 5)
Wielaert 2 (out of 2)
Behich Ā  1 (out of 1)
Gerhardt 1 (out of 1)
Engelaar 1 (out of 1)
Ā 
Interceptions
Gerhardt 4Ā 
Hoffman Ā 4Ā 
Behich Ā  3Ā 
Kalmar Ā  1Ā 
Murdocca 1Ā 
Kewell Ā  1Ā 
Ā 
Clearances (inc. headed clearances)
Gerhardt 8
Hoffman Ā 4
Wielaert 2
Behich Ā  2 Ā Ā 
Kalmar Ā  1Ā 
Engelaar 1
Ā 
Ā 
The passing was pretty good as well (notably Wielaert, who completed 100% of his attempted passes):
Ā 
Behich - Passing - 36 out of 43 (84%)
Ā 
2hxlseq.png
Ā 
Gerhardt - Passing - 40 out of 49 (82%)
Ā 
308ekhc.png
Ā 
Wielaert - Passing - 23 out of 23 (100%)
Ā 
33vj4pi.png
Ā 
Hoffman - Passing - 27 out of 37 (73%)
Ā 
11836z4.png
Ā 
Ā 
Ā 
Hoffman seemed to do so many tackles because the jets targeted his side IMO. Gerhardt's stopped throwing himself about so recklessly, and his defensive game has significantly improved as a result. Good to see Wielaert pass perfectly for a whole game, although he didn't play too many forward passes, but I reckon that's because the Jets marked him a lot gave Gerhardt the most time on the ball out of our defenders. Gerhardt's passing was pretty good (better than 80%), considering how many passes he played. There are still the occasional long balls from deep in our own half, with the main culprits being Gerhardt and Hoffman, although we're steadily playing less long balls overall.
Ā 
So overall the defence looks to be improving both defensively and with the ball. Hopefully this progress continues to be made under JVS.

The team still gets into trouble when we start to move the ball sideways and backwards in defence, and we do that because the midfield goes to sleep for periods during a match. I would like to see the lead-up to the Newcastle goal again - I reckon we gave away that corner unnecessarily.

Edited by jw1739

Ā 

I would like to see the lead-up to the Newcastle goal again - I reckon we gave away that corner unnecessarily.

You're giht jw, that corner was little more than a gift.

Ā Ā 

(Unfortunately I was so appalled by the stuff up between the defenders and Redmayne is indelibly etched in my memory)

We still have a long way to go but at least we are heading in the right direction now.

• Like 2