Melbourne Football

January 2014 Transfer Window

Torn Asunder

I'm going to have a slightly different view on things and say what is the point? With no relegation, given how far off the pace we are, what point is there in forking out the dollars, both as a payout and having enough coin to lure someone worthwhile.

particularly when the players on offer here are likely to want six month contract before they piss off again after the World Cup?

I fail to see the point of spending the cash now, aren't we better to hold on to it until next season when we can have a proper dip at something worthwhile???

In regards to keeping the current fans interested, you could argue that the horse has already bolted this year, and engelaar while fulfil that role regardless?

Don't get me wrong, it's not accepting mediocrity, it's planning to get the best out of the resources we have. 2013 is shot, we may as well look to next season.

• Like 2

Yeah we should be thinking about next season but the beauty about this sport is you can offer anything. Such as an 18month contract. If the right player is there, for the right price bring him in, get him integrated ASAP and ready for day 1 of preseason. Whilst playing a few games at the end of this shitty season to give us something on be excited about for the next one!

• Like 2

Yeh definatly, if there is someone out there that is available for next season the bring them in. All I'm saying is that most people being discussed atm are looking for a club pre World Cup to use as a vehicle.

Nothing wrong with that, but we are needing to look a bit further than the rest of the season at the minute.

The club would say that our roster is full up until they get someone I would think, other wise everyone gets their hopes up and then says how incompetent the club is if they don't.

Statements of intent are great, but if they don't come off then most fans will see it as a failure as opposed to ambition

Yeh definatly, if there is someone out there that is available for next season the bring them in. All I'm saying is that most people being discussed atm are looking for a club pre World Cup to use as a vehicle.

Nothing wrong with that, but we are needing to look a bit further than the rest of the season at the minute.

The club would say that our roster is full up until they get someone I would think, other wise everyone gets their hopes up and then says how incompetent the club is if they don't.

Statements of intent are great, but if they don't come off then most fans will see it as a failure as opposed to ambition

Well...IMO Heart fans would like to see some evidence of ambition, rather than just say things such as "our roster is full." That's just a cop out when everyone can see other clubs - and I'll name Sydney and Victory - as making room in their lists to do something.

I'd accept your argument if "the rest of the season" was, say, five weeks or less. But we're talking about half a season. What you're advocating is that we just sit here for half a season watching one of the worst teams in A-League history just bumble along and don't even try to make an improvement?

If we're prepared to do that, what evidence is there that we will do anything in the off-season to improve for next season?

On a more positive note...is there any further news about the move of Macallister?

Edited by jw1739

I'm really worried about our membership drop off after this season. I would be surprised if we managed to keep more than two thirds of our members at the current rate, because lets face it there is no reason to go atm, and even less reason to commit to another season of it. I fear too many members have been burned.

And the sad part is that the club is showing no will or ambition to fix this. They are offering nothing to give us hope other than stupid fluff articles and the return of a 35 year old defensive midfielder coming off a very serious injury.

It needs to show that there will be a change next season, and that can start right now by trying to fix the squad. That means bringing new players in, possibly on 6 month contracts to see if they are good enough, or on longer term contracts to lock them in.

The fact that Victory look like getting Rogic kills me. Not only because he is a player I really like, but because it shows the kind of ambition and ruthless attitude that club has. As much as I hate to say it I wish we were more like Victory, because they set their goals high and then do what it takes to get there.

Can anyone imagine Heart being ambitious or ruthless enough to do any of the following?:

-Make Postecoglou an offer he couldn't refuse, forcing him out of a club he was entrenched within

-Reject advances for a key player even though we were offered a substantial sum for them (Milligan)

-Cut a player like Bru before his contract was up because he clearly wasn't right for the club

-Chase after and get a proper marquee like Kewell when he was the biggest signing in the league to date

-Be happy to juggle around an already strong and winning squad to get someone like Rogic into the fold

Sure they are arseholes, but I want us to be arseholes if it means we actually adopt a winning attitude.

• Like 5

I'm really worried about our membership drop off after this season. I would be surprised if we managed to keep more than two thirds of our members at the current rate, because lets face it there is no reason to go atm, and even less reason to commit to another season of it. I fear too many members have been burned.

And the sad part is that the club is showing no will or ambition to fix this. They are offering nothing to give us hope other than stupid fluff articles and the return of a 35 year old defensive midfielder coming off a very serious injury.

It needs to show that there will be a change next season, and that can start right now by trying to fix the squad. That means bringing new players in, possibly on 6 month contracts to see if they are good enough, or on longer term contracts to lock them in.

The fact that Victory look like getting Rogic kills me. Not only because he is a player I really like, but because it shows the kind of ambition and ruthless attitude that club has. As much as I hate to say it I wish we were more like Victory, because they set their goals high and then do what it takes to get there.

Can anyone imagine Heart being ambitious or ruthless enough to do any of the following?:

-Make Postecoglou an offer he couldn't refuse, forcing him out of a club he was entrenched within

-Reject advances for a key player even though we were offered a substantial sum for them (Milligan)

-Cut a player like Bru before his contract was up because he clearly wasn't right for the club

-Chase after and get a proper marquee like Kewell when he was the biggest signing in the league to date

-Be happy to juggle around an already strong and winning squad to get someone like Rogic into the fold

Sure they are arseholes, but I want us to be arseholes if it means we actually adopt a winning attitude.

Bad example, you do realise that Bru only had about 6months left of contract and they had him sitting there paying him for nothing for a year right? 

The Victory Kewell saga was a shambles. We did it better, wait until he had nothing left and give him 50k a year.

Edited by Dylan

We haven't paid Macallister for anything this season yet. Or Germano. The point still stands that they reached a point where they relised that cutting him opens up more options.

And the Kewell saga showed ambition and an ability to pull it off. Unfortunately for them they brought him in at the same time as their own Aloisi and that didn't turn out well, but he certainly had an impact at the very least off the field. We got a good deal, but only because we were the only club left for him.

I think we'll find a lot of higher profile players will be willing to come to Australia after the World Cup, the older generation who are trying to make their nations squad etc.

Once the WC is done, they'll be open to a lifestyle change.

Agree whole heartedly, been saying exactly this for almost 2 years now.

We could potentially be looking at guys from as young as 29-30 in nations where players have shorter 'shelf-lives' with the NT due to such competition or depth of quality.

However, some of the Aussies, especially in Asia, etc. may hold of until next Jan, with the Asian Cup around the corner.

Yeah we should be thinking about next season but the beauty about this sport is you can offer anything. Such as an 18month contract. If the right player is there, for the right price bring him in, get him integrated ASAP and ready for day 1 of preseason. Whilst playing a few games at the end of this shitty season to give us something on be excited about for the next one!

Exactly.

No point recruiting for the sake of this season in mind, it's wasteful of resources.

Any signings made now, should be made with a long term vision in mind.

• Like 1

The January transfer window is the opportunity to give us long suffering fans a reason to be excited for the rest of the season - a new player, a guest signing, a freshening up of our squad.  It could help kickoff a change in fortunes and may even result in some wins on the pitch, allowing us to build for the future in a positive success driven manner, and prepare for the FFA cup, which we should throw the house at, and try to win - to win the inaugural cup would be massive and may even get us a playoff spot in Asia.

The fact that our club can go shopping for players in a global market during the season is a real point of difference for our sport and is an occurrence that produces plenty of excitement, interest and intrigue.

Other clubs in the A-League are embracing it more and more ... but not us.  This is telling ... change is needed in this regard immediately.

• Like 3

Haha I get more excited when I see that I have posted in the hot chicks thread!

Still don't know the name of this young fella, however I know it is still on the cards. Not sure how we'll sign him, if it'll be youth or we'll create room, if it'll be in this window or at the end of season?

• Like 2

I fully agree that we should do the bulk of our recruiting at the end of the season and before next season. But with a whole world of footballers out there, I have no doubt that we could significantly strengthen our squad with 1,2 or 3 signings, that we could also sign up for next season on an 18 month contract (I even think if we signed players for 6 months and things went well they would sign up for next season. That's a common occurrence with mid-season signings).

Also, we're not like Arsenal looking for a world class striker, where there's only a tiny amount of options. We're just an A-League club, and there's undoubtedly many footballers out there that could thrive in the A-League that we could get mid-season. Sydney signing Despotovic, who has single-handedly won them multiple games this season, illustrates that there are quality players out there if A-League clubs are prepared to put in the work to scout them and acquire them.

So it's not an either/or. We can strengthen our squad with a few useful signings now, and then carefully build a solid squad for next season in the off-season.

It's been reported that Michael Marrone might be open to a return to the A-League. If Heart were prepared to do the work to secure Marrone and our own Despotovic (we could sign a second and better striker in the off-season BTW), then IMO Heart would have importantly strengthened our squad for this season and next squad, and the club would likely receive a lot of goodwill from supporters as well. Win win win.

The January transfer window is the opportunity to give us long suffering fans a reason to be excited for the rest of the season - a new player, a guest signing, a freshening up of our squad.  It could help kickoff a change in fortunes and may even result in some wins on the pitch, allowing us to build for the future in a positive success driven manner, and prepare for the FFA cup, which we should throw the house at, and try to win - to win the inaugural cup would be massive and may even get us a playoff spot in Asia.

The fact that our club can go shopping for players in a global market during the season is a real point of difference for our sport and is an occurrence that produces plenty of excitement, interest and intrigue.

Other clubs in the A-League are embracing it more and more ... but not us.  This is telling ... change is needed in this regard immediately.

Why on earth would this club sign a good player when it's clear to all that the financial bottom line is much much more important than any on-field results? Unless we sign Zlatan we're unlikely to make the finals by this stage anyway. (Not saying this is what I'd do but I don't think that the current owners are interested in signing anything beyond the club sale documents unfortunately)

We need a striker. Mifsud is not good enough, Dylan McCallister has been released and both Williams and Gol Gol want out and their hearts aren't in it. Gol Gol has sighed a pre contract with Wellington.

So we need a striker desperately.

This is where the club can make a stand. Williams and Gol Gol openly telling fans they are out. We should mutually agree to terminate at least Gol Gols contract and look to sign two new strikers this window.

The excuse the club used as our list is full is bullshit now. Do something.