Melbourne Football

January 2014 Transfer Window

Torn Asunder

It would be hard to sign any new player at this stage.. We can't forget that JA has left us in a bad way and I believe the MHFC Board will see what JVS can do with the current playing list.. I don't think the club at this point has any serious direction therefore would be reluctant to make any long term signings.

There's one hell of a mess to clean up after Aloisi's tenure. He threw away two of our basic values in a desperate bid to make his flawed game plan work.

IMO the most important thing JvS and the club need to do now is stabilise what was happening. Too many rushed actions now would not be the way to go.

I agree with Tesla's and Melburnian's comments above on the positions mentioned - GK, RB, MF and Striker. But really the whole squad needs to be reviewed, not only position by position but also as a team. Just looking at the individual parts without a vision for the whole team could well leave us in exactly the same state for next season, so we need to have the new manager on board before doing too much.

• Like 1

I don't see the point of spending money and getting knew players now when the season is over, we are better off saving up for some class players for next year

If taking someone like Kennedy now with a view to signing him next season is possible then I believe we should do it. The A-League is not the first choice destination for most players and if someone of quality comes up we should pounce when able. Consider the players we have taken on when they have been rejected by all others. Apart from our three marquee positions, there are only so many "class" players we can fit under the salary cap.

Yeah, I'd be all for getting someone of Kennedy's calibre for the remainder of the season, if there's any chance of us pulling it off. Firstly, because he'd seem like at least a decent chance of sticking round on an ongoing basis beyond this season (I think the number of probable 2014 World Cup players who fill a dire need that we could say that about is few and far between). Secondly, because he is exactly what the team is screaming out for. The team ets the ball in dangerous positions enough, but it then they find themselves in the corner, looking to cross the ball in and there's nothing there. Add Kennedy and Engelaar to the mix and there'd be some serious firepower any time the ball goes high in the box, with Mifsud hanging around for any crumbs. And thirdly, because if the season continues in the current fashion and the team finishes on 15-odd points, the membership tally will probably drop by a couple of thousand for next season. But if the can finish the season as one of the form teams (say, something like 21 points from the remaining 15 games), there will be some momentum for the following season and a reason for current members to keep the faith into next season, whether Kennedy (or someone of his ilk) stays or not.

If we finish on less than 15 points, I'm probably not signing on next season. That's just the way it is. I've got better things to do with my weekends in the summer.

http://m.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/victory-considering-selling-mitch-nichols-with-asian-stars-looking-to-return/story-e6frf4gl-1226796116474

some good players by A-league standards wanting to come back, including ex-Heart players

Again these guys are learning the grass is not always greener elsewhere

... But not to Heart according to JD

We should go after Marrone, Paartalu and Joel Griffiths and would love to pinch Burns ... revenge for Goodwin

Am hoping that once Sidwell and co. are gone the new owners will do some recruitment in the January window. It is quite possible that they could, as it's the surest way for new owners to announce that they have taken over a football club.

Agree about Marrone. He would be an excellent addition. 

Do those 10 game guest player contracts take up a spot? Could maybe bring in another striker. 

Am hoping that once Sidwell and co. are gone the new owners will do some recruitment in the January window. It is quite possible that they could, as it's the surest way for new owners to announce that they have taken over a football club.

Agree about Marrone. He would be an excellent addition. 

Do those 10 game guest player contracts take up a spot? Could maybe bring in another striker. 

A guest player is additional to the squad. And they can be from any country (i.e. they do not impact on the visa player quota).

I reckon it would be a good sign of ambition if the new owners brought in a player or two. We probably won't make the finals, but it would be respectful towards the supporters if the ownership did something to try and maximize on the pitch success. Sydney have signed 3 Serbians after the season started, the Mariners are looking for a playmaker, and even Wellington have just signed an international striker. Surely we could strengthen our squad a little bit!!

And building towards next season could start now with a shrewd signing or two. Marrone would be a solid signing for next season.

And I just think that the new ownership will want to make an immediate splash, actually do something, rather than just make a few aspirational speeches. Doing some recruiting is the surest way do to something that will make an impression.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 2

from Migliorini's fb:

Migs: 'This week they told me they cannot keep me, so ill be back at the end of the month... it was bad news...'

and further on he said

'(It is because) We cannot free an EU-spot'

Looks like Germano is staying.

Edited by nicotera5

Was always gonna happen seen as the better option to the board/mgmt because:

1. Germano is probably cheaper

2. They didn't want to waste money by paying out the last months of his contract when the new owners can do it.

3. Germano might maybe possibly hopefully one day soon in the future get near to a training pitch.

4. Germano may one day kick a ball again.

5. Germano is in line to return to football soon because he reckons he can get on the plane to Brazil for the World Cup (I reckon I've got as much chance).

Tbh as serviceable as migs has been, we can and should do better

• Like 1