Melbourne Football

Start planning for 2016-17 now

AntiScum

https://twitter.com/MelbourneCity/status/519616410092204032 (I'm on my phone so I can't just post the photo).

Notice the Heart logo is photoshopped out of her hat? I just found it interesting that they would do that if they want to reassure people that it is still the same club. (I have no strong opinion either way so I'm not trying to start another pointless argument on here)

This is the sort of thing driven by marketing &^%$%#s.  Why they can't promote their future, whilst acknowledging the past is beyond me.  What harm does it do?

Need a change of personnel in that department.

• Like 1

https://twitter.com/MelbourneCity/status/519616410092204032 (I'm on my phone so I can't just post the photo).

Notice the Heart logo is photoshopped out of her hat? I just found it interesting that they would do that if they want to reassure people that it is still the same club. (I have no strong opinion either way so I'm not trying to start another pointless argument on here)

This is the sort of thing driven by marketing &^%$%#s.  Why they can't promote their future, whilst acknowledging the past is beyond me.  What harm does it do?

I'm very disappointed by whoever it is who is trying to rewrite history. FFA website has a list of the top goal-scorers for last season, and David Williams is shown as 12 goals for "Melbourne City."

IMO this sort of crap is not going to help the club grow. it simply alienates those of us who were there from the beginning and through those lean seasons.

I'm very disappointed by whoever it is who is trying to rewrite history. FFA website has a list of the top goal-scorers for last season, and David Williams is shown as 12 goals for "Melbourne City."

IMO this sort of crap is not going to help the club grow. it simply alienates those of us who were there from the beginning and through those lean seasons. Which just reinforces my point: Wear the red and fucking white during the season and dont get sucked into the sky blue like most have.. dont get me wrong, i will support this club, but the fact that they are alienating all loyal supporters who have been there since the start and completely ignoring the past is really starting to get on my fucking nerves...

• Like 3

Need a change of personnel in that department. I'm very disappointed by whoever it is who is trying to rewrite history. FFA website has a list of the top goal-scorers for last season, and David Williams is shown as 12 goals for "Melbourne City."

IMO this sort of crap is not going to help the club grow. it simply alienates those of us who were there from the beginning and through those lean seasons. Which just reinforces my point: Wear the red and fucking white during the season and dont get sucked into the sky blue like most have.. dont get me wrong, i will support this club, but the fact that they are alienating all loyal supporters who have been there since the start and completely ignoring the past is really starting to get on my fucking nerves...

Not sure who appointed you the spokesperson for every loyal supporter of our club.... Speak for yourself, I say.

Nonetheless, agree that photo-shopping out our old emblem is crap and unnecessary.

I agree that if you like your red n white then wear that supporter gear, but I think we can all agree cfg have their agenda which is having all three clubs conform to the sky blue. That being said I don't care either way and think the training gear the lads use now is much more professional that what they had previously. I'm still debating whether I think the new club strip is better than the red n white stripes (although most will agree with the turtle necks gone and the clothing material Nike have done a good job there). I just think you can't just kill the red n white and expect to see a lot of it while at games.

Its very disappointing to see that despite what has been said about respecting the roots of this club they are clearly removing all elements of it from their history books.

Although there is one small positive to take from this. Who ever removed the logo on the hat did a reasonably good job of it. I think this is the first instance of photoshop being used by our club and who ever did it hasnt completely ballsed it up. Cant wait to see our entire history removed in post production.

2585ibk.jpg

You got the like purely for your paint job.

New-look Melbourne City ready to live up to hype

Agron Dauti

October 9, 2014

Melbourne City will not be fazed by the great expectations on them this season according to coach John van’t Schip as his side prepare for their opening round clash against Sydney FC.

Speaking at the Hyundai A-League launch at Etihad Stadium’s Medallion Club, the City boss also told attendees that his side will be starting fresh and will be looking to provide a stern challenge for the rest of the competition.

Finishing at the bottom of the table last season, the City faithful will be hoping this season represents a rebirth for the club and it’s no secret that Melbourne City are a new side, fresh with a number of high-profile signings.

The takeover of Melbourne Heart by the City Football Group and the financial backing that comes with it means Melbourne City will enter the 2014/15 campaign with high expectations on them and all eyes watching as the boys in sky blue look to improve on their poor finishes in recent seasons.

“We had a good second half of the season so we’ve seen that within our playing group there was enough talent and now we’re adding other players in and hopefully [we] can make the next step,” said City boss John van ’t Schip.

“We all know that the outside is looking with all eyes because of what happened and that’s something that we have to get used to, but still, it’s about hard work and [it’s] still 11 against 11.”

After weeks of speculation on when David Villa would actually arrive in Melbourne, Spain’s all-time leading goalscorer finally touched down and trained with his new teammates on Monday at La Trobe University – much to the delight of the City coaching staff and playing group.

The arrival of footballing superstar Villa has given Melbourne City and the A-League has brought with it unprecedented exposure and although van ’t Schip believes this should be embraced, he admitted City’s focus will remain on working hard and improving their playing style.

“Who wouldn’t smile when you can work with David Villa?” van’t Schip joked.

“It’s great for the league, it’s great for the club even if it’s only for a small period but I think it shows how important the league is getting, how big – you’ve seen of course Alessandro Del Piero, a very big name, playing here two years, and now getting another big name in, I think we should be embracing this.

“[We’ll] just do our best and have a philosophy that we don’t change, we just try to play the same way and only we want to play better,” the City head coach added.

Decked out in their new white Melbourne City kit, the man that everyone had been waiting for finally walked into the Medallion Club with all eyes stopping to catch a glimpse of David Villa.

The former FC Barcelona and Athletico Madrid striker – whose last competitive game was at the 2014 World Cup – speaking through an interpreter said he was hoping to make his short stay in Melbourne a fruitful one.

“The impact I want to make is to win the most games possible and make the Melbourne City supporters happy and I want to make a good experience for everyone.” Villa said.

“It’s a new league – it’s a very interesting challenge and I hope to reach the expectations of the Melbourne City supporters and perform well.”

Villa is expected to take to the field for Melbourne City’s opening match against Sydney FC on Saturday night at Allianz Stadium and new City captain Patrick Kisnorbo says the blockbuster clash will be the first step in the club’s quest to create history.

“We just want to create our own history and that’s the bottom line,” said Kisnorbo.

“People are looking in and seeing bright lights but on the day whatever happens out there is the most important thing.

“We want success like everyone else but that only comes through hard work and determination and hopefully we can do that this year.”

Fans will have to wait until the 25th of October to see City take on their cross-town rivals Melbourne Victory at Etihad Stadium in the first Melbourne derby of the 2014/15 Hyundai A-League Season.

When asked to sum-up what the clash will be like, Kisnorbo only had one response:

“Fireworks.”

Melbourne City square up against Sydney FC on Saturday, hopeful of gaining their first points of the season. Kick-off at Allianz Stadium is scheduled for 7:30pm. 

http://www.cornerflag.com.au/new-look-melbourne-city-ready-live-hype/

As the A-League season kicks off we look at Melbourne Victory, Melbourne City in depth

MATT WINDLEY

OCTOBER 09, 2014 

MELBOURNE CITY

COACH: JOHN VAN’T SCHIP

It has been a whirlwind 2014 for the Dutchman and the club is unrecognisable compared to the one he initially took charge of in 2010. Expectations will be high from the club’s new owners, but he is well equipped to handle big-name players David Villa, Damien Duff and Robert Koren.

X-FACTOR: ROBERT KOREN

In any other season his arrival would have caused a blaze of publicity, but when teammates such as Villa and Duff arrive, they tend to steal the thunder. But Koren, 34, will be the crucial link man between midfield and attack — and he’s capable of scoring goals.

ONE TO WATCH: STAFAN MAUK

May find it hard to get regular minutes initially as he misses the first few weeks with the Young Socceroos, but the youngster is highly rated by van’t Schip and chances will present themselves for the sharp and skilful number 10.

THE SQUAD

INS: David Villa (on loan), Damien Duff, Robert Koren, Aaron Mooy, James Brown, Connor Chapman, Jacob Melling,

OUTS: Aziz Behich, Harry Kewell, Orlando Engelaar, Patrick Gerhardt, Sam Mitchinson, David Vrankovic, Jeremy Walker,

STARTING 11 (4-3-3)

A.Redmayne, J.Hoffman, R.Wielaert, P.Kisnorbo, I.Ramsay, E.Paartalu, R.Koren, A.Mooy, D.Duff, D.Williams, D.Villa

WHO’S WHO? (age, games, goals)

GOALKEEPERS

Andrew Redmayne, 25 42 0

Tando Velaphi, 27 70 0

DEFENCE

Jason Hoffman, 25 81 4

Robert Wielaert, 35 (Netherlands) 26 0

Patrick Kisnorbo, 33, 21 2

Connor Chapman, 19 25 0

Iain Ramsay, 26 109 12

Jonatan Germano (Argentina), 26 45 6

Ben Garuccio, 19 17 0

Ross Archibald, 20 1 0

MIDFIELD

Erik Paartalu, 28 79 10

Aaron Mooy, 24 42 4

Robert Koren, 34 (Slovenian) 0 0

Nick Kalmar, 26 69 6

Massimo Murdocca, 30 140 2

Stefan Mauk, 18 17 0

James Brown, 24 66 9

Jacob Melling, 19 9 0

Paolo Retre, 21 4 0

ATTACK

Damien Duff, 35 (Irish) 0 0

David Williams, 26 112 26

Mate Dugandzic, 24 103 20

David Villa, 32 (Spanish) 0 0

Marc Marino, 18 0 0

FIXTURES

R1 Sydney (Allianz) Sat, Oct 11, 7.30pm

R2 Newcastle (AAMI) Sun, Oct 19, 3pm

R3 Victory (Etihad) Sat, Oct 25, 7.30pm

R4 Adelaide (AAMI) Fri, Oct 31, 7.40pm

R5 Brisbane (Suncorp) Sat, Nov 8, 7.30pm

R6 Central Coast (AAMI) Sun, Nov 16, 5pm

R7 Sydney (AAMI) Sat, Nov 22, 7.30pm

R8 Wellington (Westpac) Sun, Nov 30, 3pm

R9 Brisbane (AAMI) Sun, Dec 7, 5pm

R10 Western Sydney (Pirtek) Sat, Dec 13, 5pm

R11 Victory (AAMI) Sat, Dec 20, 7.30pm

R12 Perth (AAMI) Fri, Dec 26, 5.30pm

R13 Newcastle (Hunter) Tues, Dec 30, 5pm

R14 Central Coast (Central Coast) Sun, Jan 4, 5pm  

R15 Western Sydney (AAMI) Sun, Feb 1, 5pm

R16 Victory (Etihad) Sat, Feb 7, 7.30pm

R17 Wellington (away, TBC) Sat, Feb 14, 3pm

R18 Perth (AAMI) Sun, Feb 22, 5pm

R19 Adelaide (AAMI) Fri, Feb 27, 7.40pm

R20 Central Coast (Central Coast) Sun, Mar 8, 3pm

R21 Newcastle (AAMI) Sun, Mar 15, 5pm

R22 Sydney (Allianz) Fri, Mar 20, 7.40pm

R23 Brisbane (AAMI) Sat, Mar 28, 7.30pm

R24 Western Sydney (Pirtek) Fri, Apr 3, 7.40pm

R25 Wellington (AAMI) Sun, Apr 12, 5pm

R26 Perth (nib) Sun, Apr 19, 5pm

R27 Adelaide (Coopers) Sat, Apr 25, 7.30pm

THE BIG ONES

Round 2 v Newcastle Jets: The first game at home as Melbourne City. Bound to break the record for a non-derby home crowd in David Villa’s debut.

Round 7 v Sydney FC: The kerfuffle over the sky blue colours ensures that Sydney FC is City’s biggest interstate rival.

Round 11 v Melbourne Victory: City’s first home derby and potentially the last game of David Villa’s 10-game guest stint.

TAB ODDS

Title: $5.50

Finals: $1.22

Golden Boot fancy: David Williams $13, David Villa $17

DAVUTOVIC SAYS

THERE was plenty of hype going into last season after the arrivals of Harry Kewell and Orlando Engelaar, in the end Melbourne Heart finished last.

While expectations couldn’t be higher in 2014-15, the hype is absolutely justified after a name and kit change and some decent cosmetic work done to their training base.

Robert Koren, Damien Duff and the stunning acquisition of David Villa headline the highest collective quality bunch of arrivals any club can boast in the A-League’s short history, and they still have plenty to offer.

Coach John van’t Schip, a former Dutch international whose teammates included Marco van Basten, Ruud Gullit and Dennis Bergkamp, won’t have trouble handling the star-studded arrivals.

While title talk may be premature, the top six is a must.

And with regular crowds set to top the 10,000 mark at AAMI Park, the atmosphere is set to rise.

Villa is only here on a guest stint, but he has the ability to do serious damage in that period and set the team up for the second half of the season, when he’ll be back with parent club New York City.

While the midfield and attacking options are limitless, the lack of defensive depth is a slight concern, especially in the wake of teen Connor Chapman’s troubled pre-season.

But the former Newcastle Jet is a talented young defender capable of holding his own.

The arrival of former Wanderer Aaron Mooy has almost been forgotten, while James Brown and Jacob Melling are good ‘squad’ additions.

The unknown is how the mediocrity and poor results of the past few years will affect City’s seasoned campaigners.

They’ve got used to losing and as they know, it can be a tough habit to break.

But Villa, Koren and Duff know what it’s like to win titles, as does new midfield addition Eric Paartalu.

It’s difficult to predict what will happen at City, but at least the journey will be interesting.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/as-the-aleague-season-kicks-off-we-look-at-melbourne-victory-melbourne-city-in-depth/story-fnlpdr1y-1227085737185

• Like 1

David Villa, Damien Duff and Robert Koren not getting special treatment at Melbourne City

David Davutovic

October 14, 2014

MELBOURNE City skipper Patrick Kisnorbo said no player was too big for his boots, despite the multimillion-dollar off-season investments.

City might have the best batch of international stars in A-League history, but Kisnorbo said David Villa, Damien Duff and Robert Koren are treated like any member of the 23-man squad.

And the hard-nosed defender declared that may include a talking to if required, though on the evidence of the opening round that won’t be necessary.

City hosts Newcastle Jets at AAMI Park on Sunday afternoon (3pm EDT), with a record non-derby home crowd expected to greet the Spanish superstar and friends.

The explosive Duff starred on the right wing and assisted Villa’s goal, just 15 minutes after the Spanish superstar came off the bench.

But they and marquee midfielder Robert Koren have set the training track alight with their attitude, sharpness and professionalism.

“There’s no grey area, everyone’s the same,’’ Kisnorbo said.

“If someone needs praise, you praise them, if someone needs a chat because they’re doing something wrong, they’ll get a talking to.

“There’s no hierarchy in our group and that’s how everyone will be treated, the same.

“It’s how it’s been since day one and we’ve continued that.’’

Kisnorbo admitted that Villa’s arrival was different to anything the players had ever experienced, despite celebrated arrivals of Harry Kewell and former marquee Orlando Engelaar last season.

The players only found out about his secret arrival _ 36 hours earlier than planned _ hours before his first session and the banter was flying around.

He said some of the younger players couldn’t contain themselves, without giving up names.

“Us players got a message (that he was turning up to the first session) last minute,’’ he said.

“We were joking around, I said I was going to bring my Barcelona top and a few boys said they’ll bring boots and photos (to sign).

“When he arrived one of the young boys were in the treatment room and said ‘David’s here, David’s here’.

“Everyone was just excited to see a person of his stature, who’s pretty much done everything in football, we’re fortunate to have him here.

“I said ‘que paso’ (what’s happening?). Standard word.

“When he arrived everyone was excited, he’s won a World Cup, a European Cup, Spain’s highest top scorer, I guess it’s how Sydney FC players felt when Del Piero came.

“We’re fortunate to have him and hopefully things can work out and he continues giving us the goals that we need and hopefully he can be a big hit for the A-League.’’

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/david-villa-damien-duff-and-robert-koren-not-getting-special-treatment-at-melbourne-city/story-e6frf4gl-1227090408639

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 2

Very interesting development with Caira being released.

Melbourne City have already signed 2 players after their A-League clubs released them early, namely Connor Chapman and Jacob Melling. Also, it was reported (SST) that we were trying to get Perth to release youth Australian LB Jack Clisby just a few weeks ago.

And the club has been keenly looking for a LB, offering a contract to James Meredith and reportedly even looking at signing the Malaysian U-23 team LB. 

So I'd be surprised if Melbourne City weren't at least trying to sign Caira.

Caira does have a pretty good pedigree. He played for Aston Villa's youth academy for 2 years before getting a 1 year senior contract with Villa (http://www.inspiresg.com/reece-caira). Then he was signed by Popovic (who can spot defensive talent) to WSW when he was about 18, although it didn't quite work and he moved to Wellington last season, where he play almost half a season (11 games, inc. 1 assist). Also, Caira has 10 caps for the Young Socceroos (U-20s) and a few caps for the Olyroos (U-23s).

Melbourne City should do what they can to sign him IMO, if only because our fullback options are so slim, probably on a 1 year contract.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 1

I'm not certain that things are sewn up with Caira and Melbourne City. However, things do line up (Melbourne City really needing & wanting a LB, and trying to sign other A-League LBs, and Caira suddenly being released early). So I think the odds are good, but it's no certainty.

WSW would be a surprise. Popovic seems the decisive type, so given that WSW already had Caira and decided to let him go to Wellington, I don't see them re-signing him.

If Melbourne City do sign Caira it might take a little while. Chapman was signed 3 days after he was released from Newcastle, and Melling was signed about 5 weeks after he left Adelaide.

Caira might end up elsewhere, as it does seem that every A-League club could use a decent LB ATM. But I'm fairly optimistic that Caira is a good chance to end up at Melbourne City.

Pretty sure Ruka was WSW's final signing. I'd expect Caira to end up at Newcastle or Central Coast, both tend to look at the budget basement young Aussie players and he is originally a Gosford local.

Not sure Caira would be a good fit for us anyway, wasn't super impressed with anything I've seen of him and Wellington's current LB isn't anything special.

I'm not sure that Caira would be a good long term fit either.

However, I reckon he could be a good stop-gap solution for this season, and who knows if he performs well on a 1 year contract he could be re-signed.

What we know for certain is that Ramsay and Garuccio are far from impressive LB solutions, and that's all we've got now, and that Garuccio may not even be able to play for another 5-6 weeks. 

So given the dire situation at LB, and given the limited options out there (and the limited salary cap space left), I think it's the best solution to sign Caira up for this season and give him a run at LB. We can always upgrade next season.

I'm not sure that Caira would be a good long term fit either.

However, I reckon he could be a good stop-gap solution for this season, and who knows if he performs well on a 1 year contract he could be re-signed.

What we know for certain is that Ramsay and Garuccio are far from impressive LB solutions, and that's all we've got now, and that Garuccio may not even be able to play for another 5-6 weeks. 

So given the dire situation at LB, and given the limited options out there (and the limited salary cap space left), I think it's the best solution to sign Caira up for this season and give him a run at LB. We can always upgrade next season.

This ^

Put on a band-aid until you can operate I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

can't happen this season because we've used our guest player already and the asian cup is on this season but next season it would be worth trying to get a player from the bundesliga, they have their winter break starting mid december and ending at the end on january. This is normally where the ffa try cram in a stack of games so we'd be getting more than a measly 4 game stint