Melbourne Football

Start planning for 2016-17 now

AntiScum

Some interesting stats about the season:

- No team has had more shots on goal this season than Melbourne Heart (305), but no team has a worse shooting accuracy (40.7% on target).

- Melbourne Heart have had the most ‘big chances’ this season with 59, but have the worst big chance conversion rate (25.4%).

- Melbourne Heart have the second most headed goals in the league this season.

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/melbourneheart/news-display/STAT-ATTACK/89632

Now I'm certain the first stat is wrong, that Heart have had the most shots on goal with 305, as I'm certain that WSW have had the most shots (yet they have the worst conversion rate to goals). But all the other stats sound about right.

IMO these season stats are just more confirmation that Heart is in most need of new strikers. I think Heart could still create more good chances (especially since the club vows to play attacking football), but seemingly the most important thing is for Heart to get players that can finish chances. Hopefully a marquee striker is on the cards, and if a good young Australian striker can't be signed, Heart should get a young Man City striker on loan IMO.

The final stat is interesting. I guess few teams score headers in the A-League. I only count Heart having scored 4 headers this season (2 to Kisnorbo, 1 to Dugandzic and 1 to Kalmar), and IMO Heart, and especially Heart's forwards, should score a lot more headers, given that Heart always plays with 2 wide players that can whip in crosses.

Edited by Murfy1

I look through our squad (including the three players we have released), and indeed I do it with those players who are already contracted for next season whether they are carry-overs from last season or re-signings, and I ask myself of each player "Would this player be an automatic first-team choice in another A-League squad?"

I think if we are honest with ourselves there are not too many. That's the reason why we are where we are on the ladder, and where we were last season as well. The quality isn't there, and that's why the statistics are the way they are.

Bela has mentioned recruitment several times; IMO it's often overlooked when we discuss performance and results. You cannot make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

• Like 1

I look through our squad (including the three players we have released), and indeed I do it with those players who are already contracted for next season whether they are carry-overs from last season or re-signings, and I ask myself of each player "Would this player be an automatic first-team choice in another A-League squad?"

I think if we are honest with ourselves there are not too many. That's the reason why we are where we are on the ladder, and where we were last season as well. The quality isn't there, and that's why the statistics are the way they are.

Bela has mentioned recruitment several times; IMO it's often overlooked when we discuss performance and results. You cannot make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

your observation is true, my bru

I agree. 

Only players in our squad that would get a look-in at another A-League squad would be Engelaar, Kisnorbo, Murdocca, Dugandzic, Williams and perhaps Behich (only on reputation, not so much form) but even then, none would probably make the starting XI of a Brisbane side bar Engelaar who's apparently not sticking around anyway.

I don't think the question 'which Heart players would be certain starters in other teams' is necessarily a good question, if only because other teams are set up differently. Also, I think some people are rating other teams starting XIs a bit too highly.

To be a bit more contrarian, I think the stats show that Heart is doing a number of things well, and show that Heart isn't actually that far off doing very well in the A-League. Heart has managed to take the second highest number of total shots this season, only behind WSW (source under team stats), and Heart have created the most 'big chances' this season. If Heart didn't have some of the worst finishing in the league (in terms of getting shots on target, and converting big chances to goals), and indeed if Heart was just average when it came to finishing, then Heart would easily be one of the most prolific goal-scoring teams in the league.

Also, Heart has managed to outplay the 2 best teams in the league, Adelaide and Brisbane, away from home for a half. In the first half away to Adelaide, Adelaide only made 166 passes at 75.9% accuracy (much lower than their average of 82.6%), compared with Heart who completed 185 passes at 77.84% accuracy (source). Heart also out-possessed Adelaide 55% to 45%. And Adelaide are widely reputed to the be best possession team in the league. It could be argued that Heart mainly dropped off in both of these matches because key players like Engelaar were subbed off.

So a number of stats are pretty positive, and it could be judged that Heart is not far off being one of the top sides in the A-League, and the team just needs a few key/important players to become a top side. Now I'm sure that Heart will end up signing 7 to 9 or 10 new players, and probably several pretty good players in that wave of recruitment, but that's because Man City want to make Heart the strongest side in the competition, and not because several good signings are vitally necessary.

Edited by Murfy1

The players that we have retained for next season are good players, and would compliment any side in the A-league but with the new players coming in I don't know how many of the current players will be in the best 11. It's no secret that our style of play will be to attack first much like the current ManCity style.

I'm not sure if JVS can take us from a good team to a championship winning team... After JA he improved our team not doubt about that but the recent performance against a 10 man Roar and Adelaide put some serious doubts over his ability to make the progress needed and get maximum points in both games. One thing is for shore JVS will not get a honeymoon period.

Next Season success is required ...Will see!

Just as a counter point, how many of the WSW players would have made the first team of the other clubs last year or even this year.

Just as a counter point, how many of the WSW players would have made the first team of the other clubs last year or even this year.

Western Sydney doesn't have the best squad, but the style in which they play doesn't require the most skillful players.

Western Sydney doesn't have the best squad, but the style in which they play doesn't require the most skillful players.

Yes, they are a very defensive team and a couple more technicians would be required in their midfield to play the way city wants, Compare them to us and I don't think the we are that far off a top 4 team with the right manager and some very technical players in the middle of the park and up front.

If only our owners at the time invested the money (which according to Sidwell was plentiful) and paid the transfer fee for Grant Holt instead of settling for the Offside Mosquito!

Oh how different our season could've been...especially considering we've scored several goals by header - I'd say having a 6" EPL worthy striker would've been a little more advantageous than a 5"5' Maltese midget!

• Like 2

If only our owners at the time invested the money (which according to Sidwell was plentiful) and paid the transfer fee for Grant Holt instead of settling for the Offside Mosquito!

Oh how different our season could've been...especially considering we've scored several goals by header - I'd say having a 6" EPL worthy striker would've been a little more advantageous than a 5"5' Maltese midget!

To be fair we got Engelaar instead of Holt, then bought a cheaper striker, however, "The Maltese Midget" was never going to fit Aloisi's game plan (such as it was) of long high balls into the striker ad nauseum and he would have been better off signing a hard nut out of League 1 instead.  Anyway we should all be glad we didn't get Holt.  His class may have been enough to keep (the clueless) Aloisi in a job.   

• Like 1

The article linked above:

Jacob Melling likely to move to Melbourne Heart from Adelaide United

Val Migliaccio

April 13, 2014

JACOB Melling has become the seventh player to be released during Josep Gombau’s 11 month tenure at Adelaide United.

The Adelaide-born teenager is understood to be Melbourne Heart bound but officials from both clubs remain tight lipped.

Heart officials declared they won’t comment on speculation after Adelaide officials confirmed Melling will be ending his Reds contract at the end of the season by ‘mutual consent.’

It’s understood the 19-year-old has signed a two-year Heart deal with the Manchester City majority owned club.

He will join two more South Australians and former Adelaide United youth team players Ben Garuccio and Stefan Mauk at Heart.

Melling is expected to relish Heart coach John van’t Schip’s enterprising total football philosophy after he was not considered for Gombau’s match day squads this season. 

The former Modbury Jets and Para Hills East junior, was a revelation when former Adelaide coach John Kosmina granted the hard working midfielder an A-League debut in a clash against Heart in a 3-1 win at AAMI Park in January 2012.

Melling made nine A-League appearances and an AFC Champions League appearance for Adelaide before game time dried up under Gombau after a Spanish club wanted the midfielder on loan before negotiations toppled over last year.

Having being voted by FFA’s technical committee as the best player of the state institutes challenge in 2010 Melling had a brilliant FIFA World Cup for the Joeys in Mexico in 2011.

Mauk was also in that Joeys World Cup squad as was former Reds attacker Teeboy Kamara.

But after becoming the youngest ever player to make an A-League debut at 15 years and 212 days old in 2012, Kamara was released from the Reds last month after suffering from a long term mystery illness.

Since Gombau has been charged with the Reds job Iain Fyfe, Dario Vidosic, Antony Golec, Steven Lustica, Ryan Griffiths, Kamara and Melling have been cut loose.

He's a highly rated youngster who just turned 19 earlier this month. Gombau organised to send him to a Spanish 2nd division side but it seems negotiations broke down before the move was finalised, as mentioned in the article. Also, he's been well regarded in Australian youth sides like the Joeys (U-17s). With the likes of Isaias at Adelaide, I guess Adelaide thought they had enough players in the defensive midfielder position.

It's always a bit tough to assess the signing of young players, but by pretty much all reports Melling is a solid prospect. For whatever reason South Australia keeps producing talented young players like Mauk and Garuccio, so I'm happy for the club to keep poaching them. Getting Adelaide to release Melling despite him having 1 year left on his contract could be quite the steal, if he lives up to his reputation.

It should be noted that A-League sides need 3 players in their 23-man squad under 20, so along with Mauk and Garuccio Heart would meet that requirement for next season if Heart signed Melling.

It's interesting that Heart reportedly signed him on a 2 year deal. Perhaps Heart used the same deal that lured Mauk and Garuccio to Heart, by first signing Melling for 1 season in the NYL team, then the season after having him be 1 of the 23 players in the senior team? If he's signed to the NYL team then it's definitely worth signing Melling.

So IMO it's a good and useful signing if it comes to pass.

Edited by Murfy1

I reckon we'll be able to sign Vincent Kompany after his performance today, thats if his body isn't found at the bottom of a river by the end of the day.

Leave our Vinny alone :)

Of course not his best game but a leader all the same

Just thought we were great 2nd half though

Anyway enough of EPL lol

• Like 1

I reckon we'll be able to sign Vincent Kompany after his performance today, thats if his body isn't found at the bottom of a river by the end of the day.

Anyway enough of EPL lol thank you for the three points :)

Anyway enough of EPL lol thank you for the three points :)

Lol thank Clattenburg

When is a dive not a dive? You must admit Suarez was lucky to stay on the park.

A great game though and I am sure you were biting your nails at 2-2 lol

Looking at what we've got so far for next season

Velaphi/Redders

Hoffman - Kisnorbo - Wielaert - Garuccio

Germano - Mooy - Mauk

Dugandzic - Williams - Ramsey

Murdocca, Melling, 

Really need to strengthen the left side, we've never had a genuine top quality left winger since our inception. A quality striker, right back and centre back and we're looking the goods. Would add a keeper to the list but that isn't gonna happen. With any luck Wielaert wants to return to Holland and we can chase Madaschi to partner Kisnorbo. Not sure on Anthony Golec's situation at WSW, think he's only contracted until the end of the ACL, he always looked good playing on the left side of Adelaide's defence.

melling sounds like a good young player, but how many central midfielders do we need? We really need some quality up front, and some more depth at the back

I think its best to look at this as a youth team signing. Looks like the owners have started looking around for good young players to develop since they did state this is what one of the things they wanted to do with the club. In fact it was almost their main focus, to set up an academy and to get the best young talent to it.Perhaps one of the best things the new owners could do for the club for its long term success, is to make the academy here they create world class, making it irresistible for young players around the country to get to and earn their stripes at. Then we would be able to pick the cream of the crop. I think with youth players, opportunity would outweigh money in their early years which is why its so important in a salary cap league. Hell it would even see the club go back to its roots of youth and attacking football. 

Velaphi/Redders

Germano - Mooy - Mauk

Murdocca, Melling, 

Really need to strengthen the left side, we've never had a genuine top quality left winger since our inception. A quality striker, right back and centre back and we're looking the goods. Would add a keeper to the list but that isn't gonna happen. With any luck Wielaert wants to return to Holland and we can chase Madaschi to partner Kisnorbo. Not sure on Anthony Golec's situation at WSW, think he's only contracted until the end of the ACL, he always looked good playing on the left side of Adelaide's defence.

that front 3 is embarrassing

Velaphi/Redders

Germano - Mooy - Mauk

Murdocca, Melling,

Dugandzic isn't embarrassing.

Velaphi/Redders

Germano - Mooy - Mauk

Murdocca, Melling,

Dugandzic isn't embarrassing.

When it comes to getting shots on goal he is

Here's the known players that Heart have for next season broken down into positions:

2014/15 Heart Players

Goalkeepers

- Andrew Redmayne 
- Tando Velaphi

Defenders

Central Defenders

- Rob Wielaert  
- Patrick Kisnorbo

Fullbacks

- Jason Hoffman 

Midfielders

- Jonatan Germano 
- Massimo Murdocca 
- Stefan Mauk  
- Nick Kalmar 
- Aaron Mooy

Forwards 

- Mate Dugandzic  
- Ben Garuccio 
- Iain Ramsay
- David Williams 

The above list assumes that Behich, Gerhardt, Walker, Vrankovic and Mitchinson go, which seems likely.

So including Mooy, Heart have 14 players, leaving 9 spots free. Heart has also been linked with the recently released 19 year old Jacob Melling, although it's unclear if he'd be signed on a senior contract or a NYL contract. Also, of course, Heart also has another team of players to call upon in the NYL side, and I can imagine a few youth team players like Schroen and Archibald knocking on the door by next season, and 3 NYL players might even be signed to the senior team (although they wouldn't count towards the 23).

The question is how should Heart fill the remaining 9 spots? Which positions (e.g. striker, LB) do Heart definitely need to sign players in?

ATM, I personally would most like to see:

- 2 strikers (1 marquee, 1 in the cap)
- 1 No 10 (marquee)
- 1 LB 
- 1 RB
- 2 CBs

Then I'm pretty undecided. Maybe:

- 1 LW or another striker
- And 1 space free

With Mooy coming to Heart, and the likes of Mauk and Germano secured for next season, I'm pretty pleased with our midfielders. Maybe that final free spot could be used on a versatile central midfielder.

For the 2 CBs, I'd like to see 1 at a good age (mid or early 20s), maybe Brendan Hamill or Luke DeVere, and the other could be a young defender, possibly Ross Archibald. Archibald though could possibly be signed outside the 23 (as 1 of the 3 NYL players), but if that's the case Jacob Melling might require a senior contract, as Heart need 3 players under 20 in the 23-man squad (Mauk and Garuccio being the other 2).

I think Heart need at least 2, if not 3, goal scoring forwards that can play centrally. I'd rather the team have too many strikers than too few, so I think using 3 spots on strikers is justified.

Not sure exactly where I'd most prefer the 3 VISA spots to be used. Maybe 1 on the no. 10 (who's also a marquee), 1 on a fullback (probably RB, as there are some good Aussie LBs about), and one on another forward, who's either LW or a striker (our own Jeronimo Neumann, so to speak).

Anyway, that's my 2 cents. There's massive scope and opportunity for improving the team, so let the fun and optimism of the rebuild begin!

Since day 1 we haven't had a decent left winger who would regularly have the opposition defenders on their toes. Someone who can score 5+ goals a season and chip in with the equal amount of assists. If you had to make and XI of the best players we've had at Heart the left wing would be the biggest disappointment.

The list of guys who've been regulars include Worm, Williams, Alex Terra & Ramsay

After signing a marquee striker this should be our next priority if we plan to be more dangerous in the final third.

Since day 1 we haven't had a decent left winger who would regularly have the opposition defenders on their toes. Someone who can score 5+ goals a season and chip in with the equal amount of assists. If you had to make and XI of the best players we've had at Heart the left wing would be the biggest disappointment.

The list of guys who've been regulars include Worm, Williams, Alex Terra & Ramsay

After signing a marquee striker this should be our next priority if we plan to be more dangerous in the final third.

I think Ben Garruccio could become that player.