Melbourne Football

Start planning for 2016-17 now

AntiScum

Personally I think Mark Rudan is ready to be a Senior Coach not a an Assistant. I know he hasn't had a lot of experience but what he has done with Sydney United in his short time there is remarkable. I think he'd do a better Job than Farina or Lowe.

Edited by Villa-Nuevo

Well, at the rate we're going, there's not a lot of evidence of many changes taking place, so on that basis I can't see Mark Rudan getting anywhere near our club.

Didulica looks as though he's being retained as Football Operations Manager (he's going to Manchester with JvS in April), and we're re-signing various less-than-startling players - supposedly for reasons of fitting the squad under the salary cap. If that's the case, bugger me I can't see how clubs such as Brisbane and Sydney can fit their players under the same cap.

I know there's a long way to go, but I hope we are going to see some signs of greater change in due course.

Honestly JW I don't think there was that much wrong with our squad that couldn't be fixed with a few key additions.  We are 2nd last, but we all know why.  Player wise the last 10 or so games have shown we have a squad worthy of about 4th.  We are currently top in terms of calendar 2014 form after all.

The no-brainers I'd suggest we need:

• Play maker (currently playing a guy more suited to DM there)
  • Finisher (need a better conversion rate than our front guys have delivered this year)
  • Central defender (Madaschi please!)
  • Goal Keeper (I've been disappointed in Redders, though GK is not a position I claim much expertise in)

This list would of course improve every team, but the club seems to be showing interest in making changes for the top 3 of this list.  Its the 4th one that concerns me.  When your No 1 GK is on contract but struggling, with the No 2 GK off contract, an obvious solution is to replace the No 2 with a new No. 1 (if you follow).  This hasn't happened leaving us all wondering.

Honestly JW I don't think there was that much wrong with our squad that couldn't be fixed with a few key additions.  We are 2nd last, but we all know why.  Player wise the last 10 or so games have shown we have a squad worthy of about 4th.  We are currently top in terms of calendar 2014 form after all.

The no-brainers I'd suggest we need:

• Play maker (currently playing a guy more suited to DM there)
  • Finisher (need a better conversion rate than our front guys have delivered this year)
  • Central defender (Madaschi please!)
  • Goal Keeper (I've been disappointed in Redders, though GK is not a position I claim much expertise in)

This list would of course improve every team, but the club seems to be showing interest in making changes for the top 3 of this list.  Its the 4th one that concerns me.  When your No 1 GK is on contract but struggling, with the No 2 GK off contract, an obvious solution is to replace the No 2 with a new No. 1 (if you follow).  This hasn't happened leaving us all wondering.

Basically agree. Every team needs a central spine of quality players around which you can fashion a competitive team made up of good-ish players. Mooy to come into the middle (?), an instinctive striker like Taggart, a Madaschi like CD and a new #1 goalie. If we want to win silverware these new players should be bench marked against the best in the HAL in those positions.

What are you guys thoughts on signing Del Piero as a player/assistant coach, but he only plays sometimes as a sub but his more of a coach. Or just simply signing him as assistant coach?

He is too injury prone - his body is no longer up to it. So that would be a no for playing and we have enough old people in the team already.

As an assistant I am not convinced that players that immediately retire should be given coaching roles in the A-League. For Australia, I think that the coaching path should be one of getting the licenses then be in charge of state league sides. If relatively successful then they should be given an opportunity at the A-League level. Coaching is about being to analyse the players strengths and weaknesses, analyse the opposition, have a vision for the style of play, have the ability to create innovative training sessions, motivate the players, manage resources, man management, etc. None of these things are easy. I can't see ADP staying in Oz to do that. He will probably return to Italy and do a similar thing with one of the big clubs.

Finally, our experiment with JA should make the club extremely cautious.

After getting their badges they should not go straight into taking charge of a team. They should be an assistant for numerous years

I understand what you're saying but I disagree. The skill set of an assistant is totally different to that of a manager. Start potential managers in a youth team, then move them to a lower-league senior side IMO. As for assistants, the same but in an assistant manager role. You teams can have assistants too.

What are you guys thoughts on signing Del Piero as a player/assistant coach, but he only plays sometimes as a sub but his more of a coach. Or just simply signing him as assistant coach?

He is too injury prone - his body is no longer up to it. So that would be a no for playing and we have enough old people in the team already.

As an assistant I am not convinced that players that immediately retire should be given coaching roles in the A-League. For Australia, I think that the coaching path should be one of getting the licenses then be in charge of state league sides. If relatively successful then they should be given an opportunity at the A-League level. Coaching is about being to analyse the players strengths and weaknesses, analyse the opposition, have a vision for the style of play, have the ability to create innovative training sessions, motivate the players, manage resources, man management, etc. None of these things are easy. I can't see ADP staying in Oz to do that. He will probably return to Italy and do a similar thing with one of the big clubs.

After getting their badges they should not go straight into taking charge of a team. They should be an assistant for numerous years

I understand what you're saying but I disagree. The skill set of an assistant is totally different to that of a manager. Start potential managers in a youth team, then move them to a lower-league senior side IMO. As for assistants, the same but in an assistant manager role. You teams can have assistants too.

Falastur coaching is the most important aspect of football. Even we need more coaches in the game at grass roots level.

I am surprised that A League managers don't need licenses like the European leagues before they take charge of teams. In time I am sure this will be remedied.

Most important though is trying to increase the popularity of the A League. Hopefully City's involvement will help do this. Maybe other football clubs from Europe will look at investing in the league.

With increased exposure hopefully there will be more money to invest in the coaching side of the game in Australia.

• Like 1

Falastur coaching is the most important aspect of football. Even we need more coaches in the game at grass roots level.

I am surprised that A League managers don't need licenses like the European leagues before they take charge of teams. In time I am sure this will be remedied.

Most important though is trying to increase the popularity of the A League. Hopefully City's involvement will help do this. Maybe other football clubs from Europe will look at investing in the league.

With increased exposure hopefully there will be more money to invest in the coaching side of the game in Australia.

Coaches do need licenses to coach at HAL level, and increasingly at lower levels. What we don't have but need are formal coach development pathways and criteria and that's why a former player can get their coaching licence and move straight into a senior coaching role at HAL level. Some coaches will benefit from an assistant role, some will benefit from stepping straight into a senior coach role, but none will benefit from doing that straight into HAL level.

Coaches do need licenses to coach at HAL level, and increasingly at lower levels. What we don't have but need are formal coach development pathways and criteria and that's why a former player can get their coaching licence and move straight into a senior coaching role at HAL level. Some coaches will benefit from an assistant role, some will benefit from stepping straight into a senior coach role, but none will benefit from doing that straight into HAL level.

Of course there can have been great managers who have never had a coaching badge. However, that was from a time before the UEFA Pro Licences.

Great managers like Busby, Stein, Shankly, Paisley, Clough, Revie etc

From what I know you can't manage in the top European Leagues if you haven't or are not working to gain your Pro License.

Like you say Bela it's creating a structure that allows players to be able to take their coaching badges whilst still playing that will lead to better managers in the future.

Of course there can have been great managers who have never had a coaching badge. However, that was from a time before the UEFA Pro Licences.

Great managers like Busby, Stein, Shankly, Paisley, Clough, Revie etc

From what I know you can't manage in the top European Leagues if you haven't or are not working to gain your Pro License.

Like you say Bela it's creating a structure that allows players to be able to take their coaching badges whilst still playing that will lead to better managers in the future.

Yes all a league managers need their a lisence or equivalent, I'm pretty sure the new npl managers need an a lisence as well as their youth coaches having done the youth badges as well. I remember Adelaide hired a coach who had to complete it (he only had a b lisence), I can't remember his name.

Coaching pathways is very limited with only 10 teams in the HAL, I think the most detremental has been the high number of coaches being recycled in the a league.Also a league clubs have this culture of 'promoting within', whilst coaches such as Pappas and Stubbins couldn't get a gig and have gone overseas. It's a bit of an ALF mentality, which deosn't cut it in football, where the coach has less of an impact than it does in football.

not sure if it's what you're referring to moops but john kosmina couldn't manage adelaide in the ACL in his second stint because he didn't have the equivalent badges.

Haha, yep pretty sure that's the fella I'm thinking of, I think they changedthe rules that year or something. Edited by moops

Murfy. What a clear layout of where we stand and what can be achieved. If this doesn't give everyone (including the depressed doomsayers) great HEART for next year I don't know what will. I am really looking forward to the announcements over the off season as to who will fill the gaps. Next year will be a whole new ball game.

Murfy. What a clear layout of where we stand and what can be achieved. If this doesn't give everyone (including the depressed doomsayers) great HEART for next year I don't know what will. I am really looking forward to the announcements over the off season as to who will fill the gaps. Next year will be a whole new ball game.

So Murf, was your optimism above confirmed by JvS' post match comments? Are you still optimistic that we will sign even 6 new quality players?

I simply don't understand what is going on at our club. The other clubs are bound by the same constraints as us (squad cap, salary cap, etc.) and have the same opportunities (visa players, marquee players etc.). 

You perhaps rightly accused me of being melodramatic with some previous comments, but I just don't see the point of bumbling around in the lower half of the table season after season. And I don't understand why we are not taking steps to turn that around. I cannot see why we are re-signing below average players before our coach even gets on the plane to Manchester to look at and discuss opportunities - it is not logical. So far I cannot see anything that suggests we can be other than bottom four next season. Sorry.

So Murf, was your optimism above confirmed by JvS' post match comments? Are you still optimistic that we will sign even 6 new quality players?

I simply don't understand what is going on at our club. The other clubs are bound by the same constraints as us (squad cap, salary cap, etc.) and have the same opportunities (visa players, marquee players etc.). 

You perhaps rightly accused me of being melodramatic with some previous comments, but I just don't see the point of bumbling around in the lower half of the table season after season. And I don't understand why we are not taking steps to turn that around. I cannot see why we are re-signing below average players before our coach even gets on the plane to Manchester to look at and discuss opportunities - it is not logical. So far I cannot see anything that suggests we can be other than bottom four next season. Sorry. One could accept that as a start up club we wouldn't challenge for the titles in the first 2 and even 3 years.

Next year is a fifth season and its time this club went out and found some players as well as this thing called "serious ambition" to be competitive.

Sick of dwelling on the bottom of the ladder

• Like 1

It begins

Joe Cole linked with Heart:

28 March 2014

[...]

Meanwhile, Joe Cole is being lined up for a move to either America or Australia.

Former England star Cole's contract expires this summer and Allardyce is waiting until the end of the season before deciding whether the 32-year-old will get a new deal.

A-League side Melbourne Heart want Cole as their big-name replacement for ex-Leeds and Liverpool star Harry Kewell who will retire next month.

But New York City are also keen ahead of their first season in the MLS.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/371711/Mark-Noble-urges-West-Ham-fans-to-create-a-positive-atmosphere-at-Upton-Park

Real interesting player Joe Cole. Central attacking midfielder, off contract at the end of the season, so he could be acquired on a free transfer, he's a fine age (32), England international (56 caps, 10 goals) and a former Liverpool and Chelsea player. Also, he's paid 90,000 pounds a week ($162,000 AUD per week) and approx. 4.68 million pounds a year ($ 8.4 million AUD), so it looks like Man City aren't going to skimp on a marquee (even though he'd get substantially less if signed by Heart, he would be likely to earn a pretty penny).

So now newspaper articles have linked Melbourne Heart with an Aussie marquee in striker Josh Kennedy and an international marquee in midfielder Joe Cole. Even if these particular players aren't signed, it appears that the club knows which positions are best suited for the marquee deals. And also IMO the particular targets being mentioned right now are very good. This is a main reason why I'm confident for next season. I'm sure that JVS and co. and Man City will come up with the goods with regards to marquees.

Edited by Murfy1

You perhaps rightly accused me of being melodramatic with some previous comments, but I just don't see the point of bumbling around in the lower half of the table season after season. And I don't understand why we are not taking steps to turn that around. I cannot see why we are re-signing below average players before our coach even gets on the plane to Manchester to look at and discuss opportunities - it is not logical. So far I cannot see anything that suggests we can be other than bottom four next season. Sorry.

You're raising exactly the right questions IMO. Questions such as: this squad hasn't found success before, so why are so many players being re-signed? Have too many players been re-signed? Does Melbourne Heart and Man City have the scope to really improve the team? And can Heart start competing for success and silverware immediately, that is, next season?

I just happen to think that all of the main questions ultimately have good answers.

Yes, several players are signed up for next season. And in my estimate maybe half or a bit more of Heart's 20 senior players will be signed up for next season. But I'm fine with that, as I think there are some good and useful individual players in the team, even though the aggregate, that is the team all up, is far from good enough. I reckon is a very limited amount of good Australian players out there, and a salary cap, so a number of re-signing was inevitable, and I'll even be happy if Heart officially re-sign some players for next season (like Kisnorbo, Garuccio, Dugandzic, and some others).

Have too many players been re-signed? Well, only a few players have officially been re-signed for next season, like Williams, Hoffman, Velaphi (and others were signed up for next season prior, such as Redmayne, Murdocca, Wielaert Ramsay). Some of those signings are a bit surprising, especially Hoffman and Velaphi, but I think they were re-signed because there are very few good Australian RBs and backup goalkeepers out there (I really can't think of any. What better options are there?).

Yes Heart has the same constraints and opportunities as other clubs, but Heart has a massive advantage when it comes to resources, meaning Heart can much more effectively minimise its constraints and maximise its opportunities, compared with other A-League clubs. For instance, CCM will not have Marcos Flores next season, seemingly because of lack of money. Whilst Perth keep wasting their VISA spots due to poor scouting. Heart need never be weighed down by those shortcomings.

So I think Heart does have the scope to massively improve the squad and the football. 2 marquees will spearhead the improvement, and I'm expecting multiple (maybe several) other handy signings, like Hamill (or other equally handy players). I'm also very pleased Aaron Mooy is coming to Heart inside the salary cap, and think that he will be a key player next season. I ultimately think that the squad will massively improve because I judge signings to be much more important than releasing players, for next season.

I firmly believe that Heart can and will compete for silverware next season, largely because of the above. I judge that Heart will get several important decisions right (largely decisions about players), and because of a valuable pre-season, class training facilities, a coach that knows the A-League and a substantially strengthened squad, that Heart will challenge for trophies next season. Also, I don't fear top A-League opposition much (really, how good really are Brisbane, Adelaide, Wanderers and maybe victory, the current top sides?). So I'm sure that Heart will be amongst the top sides next season, challenging for top honours.

• Like 2

Also, he's paid 90,000 pounds a week ($162,000 AUD per week) and approx. 4.68 million pounds a year ($ 8.4 million AUD)

I don't think it's that high. I've read he earns 50k a week (pounds) and 2.6 million a year. Wouldn't mind having him but he's another injury prone player and we don't want another one of those in our squad.

Also, he's paid 90,000 pounds a week ($162,000 AUD per week) and approx. 4.68 million pounds a year ($ 8.4 million AUD)

I don't think it's that high. I've read he earns 50k a week (pounds) and 2.6 million a year. Wouldn't mind having him but he's another injury prone player and we don't want another one of those in our squad.

The latest figure I've seen is 90,000 pounds, from this article published on the 15th of March 2014: http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/west-ham-transfers-joe-cole-3245351. It's also reported in this article that he isn't too keen on the idea of moving to the USA, so that might make a move to Australia a bit more plausible.

I think 32 is a decent age. Engelaar at 34 has been able to boss A-league games, despite breaking his leg and having no pre-season at all. So Cole, with his pedigree (Chelsea player of the year in 2008, etc etc.) should be able to be a real standout in the A-League for at least 3 seasons. I agree though Man City are unlikely to want a marquee older than Cole, as they seem to want a marquee who can play for multiple seasons (at least 3 seasons, one would assume).

It begins

Joe Cole linked with Heart:

28 March 2014

[...]

Meanwhile, Joe Cole is being lined up for a move to either America or Australia.

Former England star Cole's contract expires this summer and Allardyce is waiting until the end of the season before deciding whether the 32-year-old will get a new deal.

A-League side Melbourne Heart want Cole as their big-name replacement for ex-Leeds and Liverpool star Harry Kewell who will retire next month.

But New York City are also keen ahead of their first season in the MLS.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/371711/Mark-Noble-urges-West-Ham-fans-to-create-a-positive-atmosphere-at-Upton-Park

Real interesting player Joe Cole. Central attacking midfielder, off contract at the end of the season, so he could be acquired on a free transfer, he's a fine age (32), England international (56 caps, 10 goals) and a former Liverpool and Chelsea player. Also, he's paid 90,000 pounds a week ($162,000 AUD per week) and approx. 4.68 million pounds a year ($ 8.4 million AUD), so it looks like Man City aren't going to skimp on a marquee (even though he'd get substantially less if signed by Heart, he would be likely to earn a pretty penny).

So now newspaper articles have linked Melbourne Heart with an Aussie marquee in striker Josh Kennedy and an international marquee in midfielder Joe Cole. Even if these particular players aren't signed, it appears that the club knows which positions are best suited for the marquee deals. And also IMO the particular targets being mentioned right now are very good. This is a main reason why I'm confident for next season. I'm sure that JVS and co. and Man City will come up with the goods with regards to marquees.

Murfy I would take what the tabloids like Star & Mirror say with a pinch of salt. They are wholly unreliable when it comes to transfers.

However, Joe is the kind of signing that would vastly improve the Heart.

I will be surprised though if they are after him. I somehow think they may bring in someone from La Liga. With our Spanish connections this would not surprise me.

Also I have been thinking about our youngsters and who I would prefer to come to the Heart if it was feasible. The two players I would choose would be Shay Facey and Jordy Hiwula.

Shay can play at RB or CH. Patrick Vieira said he was the most improved player in the EDS.

I haven't seem him to be fair but he seems to get good reports when I read about the games.

Jordy Hiwula is a goal scoring machine. A few lads who watch the EDS say his overall game needs improving. But from the highlights I have seen he knows how to finish.

However, it sounds unlikely we could sign any of our youngsters without them taking Visa spots up which is a shame.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/10/italy/2014/03/29/4716969/kaka-sets-sights-on-mls-move?ICID=HP_HN_2

While yes it is a horrible source, if he were to be let go would you want us(city) to at least try entice him and then throw some cash his way?

Goal.com has been a lot better in the last 1-2 years, since they hired a BBC Sport guy to take over as chief editor. A lot of their reports are actually now quite reliable.

Murfy I would take what the tabloids like Star & Mirror say with a pinch of salt. They are wholly unreliable when it comes to transfers.

However, Joe is the kind of signing that would vastly improve the Heart.

I will be surprised though if they are after him. I somehow think they may bring in someone from La Liga. With our Spanish connections this would not surprise me.

Also I have been thinking about our youngsters and who I would prefer to come to the Heart if it was feasible. The two players I would choose would be Shay Facey and Jordy Hiwula.

Shay can play at RB or CH. Patrick Vieira said he was the most improved player in the EDS.

I haven't seem him to be fair but he seems to get good reports when I read about the games.

Jordy Hiwula is a goal scoring machine. A few lads who watch the EDS say his overall game needs improving. But from the highlights I have seen he knows how to finish.

However, it sounds unlikely we could sign any of our youngsters without them taking Visa spots up which is a shame.

I am taking the Daily Star article with a pinch of salt. I ultimately expect that a few more marquee names will be linked with Heart before one is ultimately signed.

It's a bit funny though, as Australian football journalists are fairly reliable (far from perfect, but fairly reliable) when it comes to transfers and signings. For instance, I fully expect Aaron Mooy to sign for Heart, as it's been reported multiple times (and no other destination has been reported for Mooy), and one of Australia's better journalists has reported it (and reported it as fact. Not 'suggested' or anything ambitious, it was reported as a done deal). I guess that's because there's a bit less transfer activity, so there's less 'noise' and more 'signal', so to speak. Less misleading info, so it's more easy to discern facts.

Would be pretty pleased if Heart got Joe Cole. I think he'd do a fine job. It wouldn't surprise me that much if he was signed, as Cole is probably more marketable than a La Liga player (given the popularity of the EPL in Australia). However, I'd also be pretty pleased if Heart signed a La Liga player. Diego Ribas is out of contract at season's end, and would be a great marquee midfielder IMO. And Jordi Gomez (also out of contract at season's end) is a Spanish player who I reckon could be top marquee at Heart for many years.

The marquee signings are arguably the most important football decisions that Melbourne Heart will make for next season. Hopefully the decisions are very well made.

Shay sounds like a handy player. I can see Heart getting multiple fullbacks for next season, so I'd be pretty pleased if Heart got a pretty promising fullback like Shay. I also think that Heart are certain to have at least 2 spots free for non-Australians next season, and 3 spots overall if Engelaar leaves. So, I think Heart could easily get an international marquee, and then use 1 spot or even 2 on Man City loan players, if appropriate players are available to be loaned out to Heart.

I think Murfy's assessment is pretty spot on - funny about that! What will happen is:

1. 50% of the current squad will be kept on due to contract, continuity etc. This is not a bad thing as most of them are adequate and would have to benefit from the decent training and skills development programme that MCFC will bring.

2. The remaining half of the squad can be filled with competent players who would comprise the majority of the starting line up.

3. A "big name" player will come in to be the crowd draw card. Cole fits well here.

4. Substantial improvements will be made in the off field area which will be a major factor

• Like 3