Melbourne Football

Melbourne Heart FC buy out - Man City, Melbourne City FC, etc.

AntiScum

A few questions to those cheering this news:

1) How would you have reacted had the City mob bought out Sydney FC? Would you be proclaiming it as great news for that club, for the league, etc? Honestly, would you?

Be spewing.  Want Sydney to fold and clearly if they had Man City backing them that would be difficult.  

2) Does the way the club you support wins matches/trophies (hard work, a bit of luck v spending the most money) affect the way you enjoy the wins?

No. Every team that wins works hard.  regardless of who you employ, where you train, who you sign you still need to deliver on the pitch.  

3) Did the fact that Heart was a battling club in any way endear you to the club and its supporters?

No.  

4) How would you feel supporting a business arm of an Emirati group whose wealth has been generated off the back of propping up the US and its petrodollar currency, literally fuelling wars the world over?

Well if you want to take that angle how about this -  I expect Heart will continue to lose money, so that will mean there will be less spare cash to, in your words "start wars" (if that is in fact what they use their spare dosh for, something I don't accept).  Perhaps we should be given the Nobel Peace Prize for our efforts?

A few questions to those cheering this news:

1) How would you have reacted had the City mob bought out Sydney FC? Would you be proclaiming it as great news for that club, for the league, etc? Honestly, would you?

2) Does the way the club you support wins matches/trophies (hard work, a bit of luck v spending the most money) affect the way you enjoy the wins?

3) Did the fact that Heart was a battling club in any way endear you to the club and its supporters?

4) How would you feel supporting a business arm of an Emirati group whose wealth has been generated off the back of propping up the US and its petrodollar currency, literally fuelling wars the world over?

I'm genuinely curious.

1) Yeah. For them I would imagine it would be good news for their club. As for the league, not really because it would mean that nobody else has a chance. But considering its going to be us that is squashing everyone else, I am not worried about that.

2) Would rather watch my team destroy everyone week in week out and play exciting, attractive football than watch the crap we have had to put up with for the past 3 and a half seasons.

3) The fans- Yes. .Definitely. If it wasnt for the fans I wouldnt be here. The club (owners)- They can get fucked. They chose to run their club as though they were "battlers" when in reality they were simply  bullshit artists. Glad they are gone.

4) Everyone big company has made its money by doing unethical things, so I dont really see much difference.

Edited by KSK_47

Fantastic news!!

Pls keep our colours (hate blue)

Pls keep Heart in name, perhaps Melb City (heart).

Pls fulfill your promises.

Anybody heard about the purchase price??

This will also put A-league on football map for other sheiks in the world. Rest assured the club, league will grow exponentially in the next decade.

Still think they wont change the colours. The name is a big enough change, they don't want to alienate too many people. Think it will be up to us to keep the hearts name somewhere as a nick name. I hope the new logo is bundesliga esque, simple and rectilinear and not some of that 'traditional' crap that people think is better full of pigs and elephants and crowns. I cant really make a mock up at work but we can incorperate the old m into the new one kind of like...

InKlmez.jpg?1

excuse the shit c in the middle and yes I know it looks like a heart :P but something like that gives us space in the middle to add city or club name or anything else so we dont have a floating logo and it is just one cohesive badge. IN fact looking at it now you don't even need the sides seperated to make the M it looks like it without it

Edited by Dylan

This news has been irritating Me all day.

I am delighted with the Purchase as it secures our future 

It puts us in good position for the Football market .

But I detest any name change 

MHFC is the team I support, I have invested in the club since day one. I have promoted the club and brought in several new members and even converted a whole family - I have travelled to several away games and only been rewarded with one win. 

I have never missed a game at home or in Victoria. 

I have made several friends from the Core of Yarraside to the Ace of Hearts.

But I will draw the line at a name change the Initials MCFC will never be on my flag or supported . 

I sincerely hope that this is not our last season as Melbourne Heart FC

• Like 1

I have a mountain of work to do but I couldn't help myself, I just had to come on and say something!

This is some of the best news we've had as a supporter base since this club was born and I think everyone should be embracing it as such. As many City fans have come here to say (and thanks lads for the input by the way!) their takeover was one of the best things that happened to them. 

I understand the concern about the name/colours but i think we all need to look at this logically. I also don't want the colours changed (the name isn't the biggest deal to me, we can still nickname ourselves the 'Hearts' if we want to, it's our club afterall!) but I wouldn't throw away my membership if it happened. As many have pointed out, most clubs change their name and colours at some point. I'm a Gooner, and my club has been called many different names and wore Redcurrent before they wore their now iconic red with white sleeves, Liverpool started off blue and white and as some of our Citizen guests have pointed out; they started in Black! What is important is that WE the FANS need to keep OUR identity. There cannot be any changes to that, we need to behave the way we do now and support our club just as passionately as we have since our inception...and that's down to us, no one can change that.

I wouldn't be concerned about changes to Active Support either, this isn't England, it's Australia, and the City owners aren't even English anyway, so I don't know why they'd want to instill a complete English culture into this club. The rules of this competition allow Active support...why endanger your new club by changing that? We'll be right.

I love this club and I always will, we've all put up with so much...it seems we'll start to reap the rewards soon! This is just another chapter in what will be the history of the greatest football club EVER to exist on these shores!

Edited by King Malta
  • Like 4

I have a mountain of work to do but I couldn't help myself, I just had to come on and say something!

This is some of the best news we've had as a supporter base since this club was born and I think everyone should be embracing it as such. As many City fans have come here to say (and thanks lads for the input by the way!) their takeover was one of the best things that happened to them. 

I understand the concern about the name/colours but i think we all need to look at this logically. I also don't want the colours changed (the name isn't the biggest deal to me, we can still nickname ourselves the 'Hearts' if we want to, it's our club afterall!) but I wouldn't throw away my membership if it happened. As many have pointed out, most clubs change their name and colours at some point. I'm a Gooner, and my club has been called many different names and wore Redcurrent before they wore their now iconic red with white sleeves, Liverpool started off blue and white and as some of our Citizen guests have pointed out; they started in Black! What is important is that WE the FANS need to keep OUR identity. There cannot be any changes to that, we need to behave the way we do now and support our club just as passionately as we have since our inception...and that's down to us, no one can change that.

I wouldn't be concerned about changes to Active Support either, this isn't England, it's Australia, and the City owners aren't even English anyway, so I don't know why they'd want to instill a complete English culture into this club. The rules of this competition allow Active support...why endanger your new club by changing that? We'll be right.

I love this club and I always will, we've all put up with so much...it seems we'll start to reap the rewards soon! This is just another chapter in what will be the history of the greatest football club EVER to exist on these shores!

Great words KM and i like your passion - But how would you feel if it was a consortium from THFC and the name change Melbourne Spurs ? 

Heart should stay 

• Like 1

Great words KM and i like your passion - But how would you feel if it was a consortium from THFC and the name change Melbourne Spurs ? 

Heart should stay 

Thanks mate

I won't lie, I wouldn't be rapt, but my love of the Heart is completely separate from my feelings about Tottenham or any European club. Those feelings are attached to my love of The Arsenal.

I guess that's a weird way of explaining it...clearly, I hate Tottenham, but my love for the Heart, Arsenal, Collingwood and all the other clubs I love is greater than the hate I have for rival teams...if that makes sense.

Whatever this club is called I'll always love it but I can completely understand your feelings about losing the name and understand that it's not ideal.

Edited by King Malta
  • Like 1

Heart should stay 

But it isn't.

What's the point in considering hypotheticals that now can't happen?

New colours, new strip, new logo etc. I'd rather not but it doesn't worry me too much. Providing they don't affect the enthusiasm, noise and atmosphere our fantastic supporters give all Heart matches it will always be THE HEART.

This news is fantastic as it now gives us the ability and expertise to finally provide that credible and better alternative in Melbourne. It's also going to be absolutely great for the sport in Melbourne and HAL generally.

How much of the club has to be changed before it ceases to be the same club?

Name
Colours
Owners
Coach
Players

I don't mind people saying 'Woot I am going to follow Man City's proxy club in Melbourne'. That is fair enough.
 Good luck to them and you.

What I don't get is people thinking that the new entitiy will be a continuation of the old entity.

The only thing that seems to be continuing is that there is a second club in Melbourne. An anti-Victory, if you like.

But the club we all support is winding up, its licence to play A-League football sold for a few million dollars.

At the conclusion of the final round of this season, the Heart stops beating. Simple as that afaic.

Think we should as a supporters group do something ASAP, wether it be a letter or petition or what ever to let the new owners know what direction we want the club to take. Particularly about the colours and name. 

...they have said that they will take until the end of the season to listen. We don't even know how they will do that.

Hold your fire until you can see the whites of their eyes.

Anything before that is wasted ammunition.

You'll never get agreement on these things, even on this forum with its limited representation.

Edited by jw1739

Think we should as a supporters group do something ASAP, wether it be a letter or petition or what ever to let the new owners know what direction we want the club to take. Particularly about the colours and name. 

...they have said that they will take until the end of the season to listen. We don't even know how they will do that.

Perhaps I should have been more clear. I ment that as a group we should work out what we think should happen and then look for avenues to pass on the information.

Perhaps I should have been more clear. I ment that as a group we should work out what we think should happen and then look for avenues to pass on the information.

OK. Don't disagree.

Lol turn that frown upside down mate... Its a simple transition, not an end.

We've all made friends and had a ball on away trips and at home to let this great opportunity get in the way of our undying support of this club.

We all wanted mhfc to surpass the other mob. Revel in the misery of the blue side of Melbourne as the name and colours haven't change and aren't guaranteed to change.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/football/exclusive-english-premier-league-giants-manchester-city-are-the-new-owners-of-melbourne-heart/story-fni2fopz-1226808309021

"Speaking to The Daily Telegraph in Sydney last night, Soriano promised to make no immediate changes at the club at least for the rest of the season, giving the players, coach John van t' Schip and existing management the opportunity to prove they could be part of the new order.

While Soriano promised to put the full resources of City's burgeoning talent development structure behind Heart, he emphasised that the club had to keep its own Australian identity."

"So we will listen, understand everything in detail, then we will decide very fast and we will execute very fast any changes need to be made. This is the lesson we have learned [from Manchester City and New York City].

"If you look at where Manchester was and is today, it's pretty impressive. But the improvement has been done on the basis of respect for the history, the tradition, and we will do the same thing."

Soriano confirmed that plans were underway to bring the Manchester City squad to Australia to play a game, after the success of the visits last year by bitter rivals Manchester United and Liverpool.

"Yes, we're looking at it," he said. "It's obvious our interest in Australia has been a reality for months, and now it is going to be more clear - one of our aspirations is to bring our English team here, as well as send Australians to Manchester. So we'll be working on this."

Edited by jw1739

Name change is not guaranteed- we are just speculating.

in the end it may come down to fan attachment to the current name and for those that, like me, like our current name, the "I don't care comments" on this forum probably aren't helping!

Melbourne City would be a decent name though.  "City" is not a name like "Spurs".  So many clubs have this as part of their name, its hardly unusual or particularly linked to one club.

Two things bother me about a name change 1 - will our name change every time ownership does? and 2 - need to keep "heart" in some shape or form.

Like nearly everyone, my first reaction was 'holy sh*t!', and I've been walking around with a stupid grin on my face all day.

I actually noticed a thread on the Bluemoon MCFC website yesterday where the OP asked if anyone had heard the rumours about City buying Heart. There were only a few replies dismissing the idea, saying things like 'surely if we were buying an A-League club we'd buy Sydney FC because they are sky blue'. So I thought nothing of it.

Absolutely rapt with this news. Don't forget that still more than half of the clubs in the A-League don't post a profit, so the fact that we'll never have to worry about debt again is a really important positive.

Presumably now we'll have proper football club infrastructure, and the wheelie-bins will be consigned to history. Also, I reckon our youth system will get put in top gear, and we'll have a great pathway to develop young talent.

I agree with the suggestion that this takeover could actually make Heart more inline with its original values. I believe this club will become more youth focused, and more focused on positive/attacking football, which we sadly abandoned in the Aloisi era. I believe in the future we'll look back and the Aloisi era of ugly, unsuccessful football will be a blimp in the history of this club.

This club will keep most of its history, according to the early media reports. We will play at AAMI, as said by others we are bound to keep the colours Red & White (because, as many have said, there are already so many blue clubs. And it might console MCFC that we are Red AND White, and not just red), and it looks clear to me that we'll keep the club values of: attacking football, promoting youth and community engagement (the former 2 because they are inline with MCFC values, and I see no reason why community engagement would lessen, especially if we keep Westpac as a sponsor, who prioritise it).

So the spirit of this club seems certain to continue. The biggest difference now is that this club will have means.

And if a name change is the main thing that we're all debating after this takeover, then it's pretty clear to me that most of Heart's identity will stay the same and the spirit of this club will remain intact.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 1

This news has been irritating Me all day.

I am delighted with the Purchase as it secures our future

It puts us in good position for the Football market .

But I detest any name change

MHFC is the team I support, I have invested in the club since day one. I have promoted the club and brought in several new members and even converted a whole family - I have travelled to several away games and only been rewarded with one win.

I have never missed a game at home or in Victoria.

I have made several friends from the Core of Yarraside to the Ace of Hearts.

But I will draw the line at a name change the Initials MCFC will never be on my flag or supported .

I sincerely hope that this is not our last season as Melbourne Heart FC

This is our last season as melbourne heart fc.
  • Like 1

If you follow the AFL and support Collingwood - could you stand next to I dunno Carlton fans cheering Carlton, Carlton. 
If you followed Arsenal could you stand next to Tottenham Fans cheering "COYS" 

As a DieHardRed - I cannot stand in the terraces singing come on City ....... Oh i just cringed !!

Keep the Heart

This is huge news.

We are now the wealthiest club in the A League!

We are now the biggest club in the A League!

This is also the future for the A League.

Billionaire owners of A League football clubs who will want to spend money on the football clubs and won't be looking for a $2.5 million handout from FFA to cover a lowly salary cap.

In fact we'll end up getting rid of anything remotely resembling a paltry $2.5 million salary cap! 

So we'll finally have a chance to become the best competition in Asia. And young, talented footballers won't automatically leave for overseas.

While we'll have some of the best Socceroos in their prime playing in our A League.  

• Like 1

How much of the club has to be changed before it ceases to be the same club?

Name

Colours

Owners

Coach

Players

I don't mind people saying 'Woot I am going to follow Man City's proxy club in Melbourne'. That is fair enough.

Good luck to them and you.

What I don't get is people thinking that the new entitiy will be a continuation of the old entity.

The only thing that seems to be continuing is that there is a second club in Melbourne. An anti-Victory, if you like.

But the club we all support is winding up, its licence to play A-League football sold for a few million dollars.

At the conclusion of the final round of this season, the Heart stops beating. Simple as that afaic.

I am sure people are going to get their knickers in a twist when I say this, but the more I think about it, the more I am happy to wipe the slate clean. Heart have been an absolute joke and honestly over the 4 years I have been watching them play the club have only given me a handful of good memories (I am not referring to the friends I have made along the way and the memories created by yarraside by the way- thats something completely different.). The club have done nothing but feed me bullshit and frankly I have borderline come to despise them for my time that feels wasted putting up with their crap.

Edited by KSK_47

I think they will consult fans in every aspect of identity. The way they have gone about things seems to be very professional. I just don't get the feeling they are going to come in with arrogance and just try to make a Man City clone and expect us to nod our heads and smile.

I'm normally doom and gloom about these things, but I just don't think it's going to be that bad. I can see us becoming Melbourne City, but for me personally it cements us more a MELBOURNE team and fits is in the HEART of melbourne meaning rather than the big V team. I guess I just don't think of man city when I hear city because so many teams have it. Like if we were Melbourne United. I wouldn't think of Man U.