Melbourne Football

Melbourne Heart FC buy out - Man City, Melbourne City FC, etc.

AntiScum

I don't think our jerseys will change.

Like all the other Queenslanders my hate for the colour "sky blue" is close to limitless so would struggle to stay if that happened (but i can't see how it can change to that, given that is the colour of Scum FC).

If they do change to sky blue I will not be buying any merchandise. I will just wear my current heart shirt. The thought of wearing sky blue makes the skin crawl. You would think most Vics would think the same way.

If you follow the AFL and support Collingwood - could you stand next to I dunno Carlton fans cheering Carlton, Carlton. 

If you followed Arsenal could you stand next to Tottenham Fans cheering "COYS" 

As a DieHardRed - I cannot stand in the terraces singing come on City ....... Oh i just cringed !!

Keep the Heart

Sorry but i totally agree with you.

How the fuck can anyone be happy with a name change.

WE ARE FUCKIN MELBOURNE HEART

And for the people who dont like our name and are happy to change it...

WHY THE FUCK did you support this club in the first place.

Im sorry but it baffles me how people are selling out.

People talk about "lack of identity" but we then go and sell what identity we have left to some fuckin sheik  who doesnt give a shit about this club and is only looking to make a profit,

I didnt sign up for Melbourne City

I signed up not for the name or even the colours but because I like football and didn't like the visitors. Also hated musc%#t.  If we were named Melb City to start with are people saying they would not have signed

So.... you signed up because we went the visitors?

interesting observation on 442:

"Gallop also revealed FFA chairman Frank Lowy set the deal in motion in 2012.

He added: “The initial discussions began with our chairman Frank Lowy over a year ago in New York and we’ve been impressed with the clear strategic approach to the acquisition.

“The new owners are taking a long-term view of this investment, which fits perfectly with our strategic plans for the A-League and the growth trajectory of Australian football.”

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/au/news/gallop-no-storm-clouds-us#0CJtAfcyPGycHY6v.99

As we know, HAL clubs are franchises and FFA own the IP. All major decisions regarding ownership must be run through FFA HQ. While Frank is alive, and probably Gallop and any other CEO, Hellas will never be given a license in the HAL.

As for Total Eclipse, Victory/Hellas troll.

You know being a supporter since day one I am feeling pretty good about this. Such a great reward for sticking with a club that let's face it, has not given much back. My mind goes back to the first season and going to a game in the rain where there were around 3000 fans. Those who were there will know what I'm talking about! 

Just for a minute think back even four weeks! JA in charge and making me want to blow my brains out every time he gives a press conference.

Two strong teams in Melbourne is going to make for a great rivalry. 

• Like 1

Been a member since day one and can't fathom any Heart fan not embracing this completely.

Melbourne City FC is an awesome name - and will actually serve to give us a real and meaningful nickname in Heart, which actually adds the clubs identity/history in my opinion.

The piece of shit logo we have should go as well. Use something more traditional, like WSW did. Theirs is awesome.

Having said that, I really hope the red and white colours stay. But if they don't - then it's a small price to pay for the benefits this will afford our club to be honest.

I don't think our jerseys will change.

Like all the other Queenslanders my hate for the colour "sky blue" is close to limitless so would struggle to stay if that happened (but i can't see how it can change to that, given that is the colour of Scum FC).

If they do change to sky blue I will not be buying any merchandise. I will just wear my current heart shirt. The thought of wearing sky blue makes the skin crawl. You would think most Vics would think the same way.

It will still be the same team to me (albeit a better one on the field) I will regularly wear my season 1 Heart jersey to the games

Here's a thought for all you nuts out there claiming it's the end of the world...

There rolls the deep where grew the tree

O earth, what changes hast thou seen!

There where the long street roars, hath been

The stillness of the central sea

The hills are shadows, and they flow

From form to form, and nothing stands;

They melt like mist, the solid lands,

Like clouds they shape themselves and go.

• Like 3

We've been demanding a board who knows football takeover and we got it. We demanded some ambition and we just got told that this club is not just here to "make finals", but to be a powerhouse in the Asian region. We longed to see our club succeed and we've just been told we will by a bunch of blokes who know what it looks like and long for it.

Fundamentally our club will not change. It was the emphasis on youth, the fact we focused on building from that level, that would have interested Man City to begin with. That's still there and there is no doubt it will be improved leaps and bounds above what we could ever hope for. The focus of this club was not to be a flash in the pan of the a-league, but to be a strong team in a sport-mad city. And it's still there. The very fact it was Heart and not WSW that Man City were interested in should give you confidence about how great this club will be.

All this is because Melbourne Heart, fundamentally, represents opportunity. For supporters, it was an opportunity to support a second team in Melbourne. For young players, it was an opportunity to improve and focus beyond the antipodes of local Australian football.

A change of colour, a change of name, does not fundamentally change this club, and if you cannot accept how this acquisition benefits the opportunity this club represents - to both supporters who want success and players who want to improve - then, well, you can go back to dreams of "making the finals" and scream about folding the club whenever we lose.

Owe you ten likes

• Like 1

‘‘When you look at the number of people in the city who like football, play football, the number of people living here there’s enough to fill this stadium every week,’’ The deal which sees Heart sold for a figure of around $11.5 million to the City led consortium also includes the ownership group of the Melbourne Storm as minority shareholders with a 20 per cent stake.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/manchester-city-buy-aleague-club-melbourne-heart-20140123-319zz.html#ixzz2rDDVzid1

People were wondering why HeartFC was worth around $12M yet the mighty (LOL) WSW were quoted as around $15M. We have much more growth potential than WSW and this is recognised by the new owners. Name might get a change but the colours must remain Red&White. FWIW, Melbourne City FC is a good counter to Victory (AKA. Victoria). In effect we are the Heart ot Melbourne which is where we have tried to position ourselves with limited success so far.

‘‘When you look at the number of people in the city who like football, play football, the number of people living here there’s enough to fill this stadium every week,’’ The deal which sees Heart sold for a figure of around $11.5 million to the City led consortium also includes the ownership group of the Melbourne Storm as minority shareholders with a 20 per cent stake.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/manchester-city-buy-aleague-club-melbourne-heart-20140123-319zz.html#ixzz2rDDVzid1

People were wondering why HeartFC was worth around $12M yet the mighty (LOL) WSW were quoted as around $15M. We have much more growth potential than WSW and this is recognised by the new owners. Name might get a change but the colours must remain Red&White. FWIW, Melbourne City FC is a good counter to Victory (AKA. Victoria). In effect we are the Heart ot Melbourne which is where we have tried to position ourselves with limited success so far.

I have resided the fact that everything is going to change. Colours included.

The only thing I can hold onto for evidence to the contrary is that New York was something started from the beginning by Man City where as we have 4 years of history. 

I want this club to remain Red and White. And I'm pretty certain that it will, as the colour 'sky blue' is taken (Sydney FC), and Victory are navy blue. Also, there seems to be rumours circling on social media that we will be keeping our colours. And lastly, the new ownership said they will 'listen', and I'm quite sure that the majority of supporters will want Heart to remain Red and White, so I'm pretty certain our colours won't be changed.

I'm conflicted about the name. I'm personally fine with both Melbourne Heart FC and Melbourne City FC. I might slightly prefer keeping Heart, but if the name City is the price of this ownership change, then I'd be ok with that. And I'm likewise conflicted about the logo.

We'll still play at AAMI Park (confirmed in the media today).

And the new ownership has confirmed that the club will play 'good football' or 'attacking football' (call it whatever you wish, you know the style when you see it). Also, there will be a strong youth focus at this club.

Both of the above qualities are what Heart was supposed to be about from the beginning. The difference being that this time, the clubs investors will almost certainly give the club even stronger financial backing to achieve success on the pitch, with an emphasis on attacking football and youth. And if the club doesn't immediately pay dividends, they won't stop putting money into this club, like Sidwell and co. did after our first season. Instead, it seems clear that they will double down and put more money into Heart if results are not forthcoming, and they will continue to financially support the club until this club is 'one of the most successful football clubs in Australia and throughout the region'. No more weak talk of 'making the finals' every season.

This takeover pretty much seems to me like a more cashed up version of Nathan Tinkler's takeover of the Newcastle Jets. The connection to Manchester City makes it unique, but because of all the reasons stated above I firmly believe that the spirit of Melbourne Heart will strongly go on, with the main difference being that we'll have the means to achieve the ideals and values that this club was built on.

• Like 1

People love this or hate this for their own reasons, but I've seen a number of comments on fb, twitter and here from man united fans really pissed off or even calling it quits. I'm wondering if Man U bought Melbourne Victory and changed them to Melbourne United would they switch to them ??

I'm a man.united supporter but I still buy my membership next season...actually 2 memberships.....I will never change the team cuz of this.
  • Like 1

People love this or hate this for their own reasons, but I've seen a number of comments on fb, twitter and here from man united fans really pissed off or even calling it quits. I'm wondering if Man U bought Melbourne Victory and changed them to Melbourne United would they switch to them ??

I'm a man.united supporter but I still buy my membership next season...actually 2 memberships.....I will never change the team cuz of this.

Yeah I have seen the same comments by other Man U supporters.

It's interesting though. I guess the way I'm looking at is that people say no I wouldn;t switch because they aren't really man U and just owned by them, then why have we become Man City. Even if we have city in the name, We ARE MELBOURNE. I just find it interesting with the mind set of different people. There's no right or wrong opinion, its just interesting how everypne looks at it different.

If you follow the AFL and support Collingwood - could you stand next to I dunno Carlton fans cheering Carlton, Carlton. 

If you followed Arsenal could you stand next to Tottenham Fans cheering "COYS" 

As a DieHardRed - I cannot stand in the terraces singing come on City ....... Oh i just cringed !!

Keep the Heart

Sorry but i totally agree with you.

How the fuck can anyone be happy with a name change.

WE ARE FUCKIN MELBOURNE HEART

And for the people who dont like our name and are happy to change it...

WHY THE FUCK did you support this club in the first place.

Im sorry but it baffles me how people are selling out.

People talk about "lack of identity" but we then go and sell what identity we have left to some fuckin sheik  who doesnt give a shit about this club and is only looking to make a profit,

I didnt sign up for Melbourne City

I signed up not for the name or even the colours but because I like football and didn't like the visitors. Also hated musc%#t.  If we were named Melb City to start with are people saying they would not have signed

So.... you signed up because we went the visitors?

Do you mean weren't. I watched them because that's the only team in Victoria at the time but didn't take to them. Liked watching Roar really. But when Heart came in thought I would give them a go. They came to Bendigo for a preseason game in the first season and I was hooked. Never had the same connection with MV.

If this ownership change means Ticker can go to hell then I'm all for it.

Like others, I don't mind the name change, presuming that Heart remains a nickname, but I don't want the colours to change. You can do whatever you like with the away kits but do not change the red and white stripes. A blue collar and trim on the home kit would be the limit. 

It's moments like these when you realise why you support this club. It is so satisfying to think that we have reached the lowest of the low, we've all gone through the toughest times and now it is just going to get better and better. If you're a true fan of this club you will be happy with this move. 

Best team in Asia is the goal. Go Heart  :D

• Like 1

So it was completly abhorrent for Hellas to take us over and change our name to South Melbourne Heart?

But for Man City to take us over and change our name, logo, colours it's great.

Intresting to say the least :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

To be fair, majority of people in this thread (myself included) have said that the colours need to stay the same.

As far as the name change goes, Melbourne City still represents the city I love....South Melbourne was always going to represent the history of a different club and a geographical area that I have no connection to. Ive always felt nicknames should never be part of the official name of the club anyway, so I dont mind officially losing Heart but keeping it unofficially which we'll probably be forced to do anyway to differentiate ourselves to Victory in discussion.

The logo, even if we kept Sidwell for 70 years, would be updated and changed over time like all sporting teams do in the world so I don't really see that as an issue.

• Like 1

A little more detail on the registration issue:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jan/23/manchester-city-buy-melbourne-heart

'Heart could also be in for a name change, an application to trademark the name Melbourne City Football Club was lodged by MHFC Holdings Pty Ltd on 16 January. It is still awaiting approval.

Coincidently, the Heart's new minority shareholders and owners of NRL club the Melbourne Storm, Holding M.S. Australia Pty Ltd, have also registered the business name Melbourne City FC with the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) and bought the domain name MelbourneCityFC.com.au.

Both were registered on 10 July last year, less than two months after the consortium purchased the Storm.'

Neither Manchester City, the Heart Consortium Group or Melbourne Storm have indicated a name change is on the cards, only to say they will hold off from making any major announcements until mid-2014 – after the current season ends.'

Edited by jw1739

So it was completly abhorrent for Hellas to take us over and change our name to South Melbourne Heart?

But for Man City to take us over and change our name, logo, colours it's great.

Intresting to say the least :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

To be fair, majority of people in this thread (myself included) have said that the colours need to stay the same.

As far as the name change goes, Melbourne City still represents the city I love....South Melbourne was always going to represent the history of a different club and a geographical area that I have no connection to. Ive always felt nicknames should never be part of the official name of the club anyway, so I dont mind officially losing Heart but keeping it unofficially which we'll probably be forced to do anyway to differentiate ourselves to Victory in discussion.

The logo, even if we kept Sidwell for 70 years, would be updated and changed over time like all sporting teams do in the world so I don't really see that as an issue.

Well, City have said they will listen so hopefully they do on the colours. I think most people are happy for the name to change as when the club was formed most people where against that name if I remember correctly.

DO we want to be a family or be taken seriously as a football club, look at what has happened since our inclusion and look where it has taken us, to rock fucking bottom, IT WASNT WORKING. 

Change the name I can cop not melbourne city heart FC  rather - "Melbourne City FC " with the nickname the heart(s)

Dont change the colours of the home strip 

Dont move us from AAMI

Also all the other teams supporters particularly  the scum saying we are proud to be australian owned and melbourne owned etc etc

I would love to LOVE to see them in the future ,the same people, when they are getting left behind SOOK about their club because they can no longer compete with us and beg to sell to owners like we have.