Melbourne Football

Melbourne Heart FC buy out - Man City, Melbourne City FC, etc.

AntiScum

Redmayne, Williams, Scott Munn and Behich all just followed Etihad Airways on Twitter... Could mean that Etihad actually is the new sponsor?

Well spotted! Would guess you are right. IIRC a while ago I saw a post on twitter where someone had spotted the Melbourne Heart youtube account following the MCFC youtube account. The tweet was posted a couple of months before the takeover.

On the other hand, people also noticed recently that Messi had started following City on Instagram, yet I'm far from convinced...We shall see, though.

Out of interest, I know I've seen people saying that they want Westpac to remain, but if Heart were to keep the red and white but change to Etihad, what would your feelings all be? And what if Westpac were to switch to being one of those back-of-shirt sponsors you all have over there?

I'd like to keep Westpac as a sponsor in one way or another as they've been with us from the start. Not fussed about Etihad, as long as we don't have to play at the stadium. Keeping the colours is more important to me than who's the sponsor.

I am a big fan of AAMI park but when the Rugbys started playing I realised how much damage those sports do to the surface. At that point in time I realised that perhaps Etihad and AFL are not that bad. However the atmosphere will always be superior at AAMI.

Redmayne, Williams, Scott Munn and Behich all just followed Etihad Airways on Twitter... Could mean that Etihad actually is the new sponsor?

Well spotted! Would guess you are right. IIRC a while ago I saw a post on twitter where someone had spotted the Melbourne Heart youtube account following the MCFC youtube account. The tweet was posted a couple of months before the takeover.

On the other hand, people also noticed recently that Messi had started following City on Instagram, yet I'm far from convinced...We shall see, though.

Out of interest, I know I've seen people saying that they want Westpac to remain, but if Heart were to keep the red and white but change to Etihad, what would your feelings all be? And what if Westpac were to switch to being one of those back-of-shirt sponsors you all have over there?

I'd like to keep Westpac as a sponsor in one way or another as they've been with us from the start. Not fussed about Etihad, as long as we don't have to play at the stadium. Keeping the colours is more important to me than who's the sponsor.

I am a big fan of AAMI park but when the Rugbys started playing I realised how much damage those sports do to the surface. At that point in time I realised that perhaps Etihad and AFL are not that bad. However the atmosphere will always be superior at AAMI.

I can't imagine any condition for AAMI to be in (at least of what I've seen in four seasons) that I would prefer Etihad. 

Edited by Alexxandro

I would have thought the logo/badge is the heart of the club. The representation image that is red and white. So the heart of the heart remains. This is probably the best compliment that can be paid

Yeah I don't think so. Keep the colours is the best compliment that can be made to the current fans by a mile. 

• Like 5

I would have thought the logo/badge is the heart of the club. The representation image that is red and white. So the heart of the heart remains. This is probably the best compliment that can be paid

Perhaps spending 5 minutes on this forum reading the hundreds of posts about how the fans feel about colour/badge/name would be the best compliment. Nice try though

• Like 1

Yeah I don't think so. Keep the colours is the best compliment that can be made to the current fans by a mile.

Perhaps spending 5 minutes on this forum reading the hundreds of posts about how the fans feel about colour/badge/name would be the best compliment. Nice try though

Colours, badge, name. I don't care about or for our new owners. Melbourne Heart is our club and our identity should be retained. That would be a compliment. At least it will help build trust. (And yes, I am aware of the negative arguments about franchise owners).

Not going to lie, I'm not going to believe anything "the sheik" or anyone else posts until it's confirmed by the club. Anyone could make a profile on here and post ambiguous "news" about things they claim are confirmed. No offence intended to you sheik, you may well be telling the truth but until it's confirmed it is just a rumour.

• Like 2

I have been apart of heart just as much as anyone on here. I am just telling you all facts not speculation. I can understand everyones `hoping` for no change but its happening. Ill be supporting and a member just like I always have. I hope you all will be too, as I dispise the alternative.

If the Sheik is indeed correct, I would hope Westpac remain associated with the club, be it as back sponsor or a community partner. They are a blue chip Australian company and it would be beneficial to hold onto them.

I don't really see why Westpac would be pulling out. Wasn't it at the beginning of last season that they extended their arrangement with us as "Principal Partner"? And aren't they the people behind our community football festivals?

If the Sheik is indeed correct, I would hope Westpac remain associated with the club, be it as back sponsor or a community partner. They are a blue chip Australian company and it would be beneficial to hold onto them.

I don't really see why Westpac would be pulling out. Wasn't it at the beginning of last season that they extended their arrangement with us as "Principal Partner"? And aren't they the people behind our community football festivals?

Also dont think Westpac would mind being 'partners' with Etihad, the cfg would probably like to keep them on too as a 'link' back to the old heart. Oh and local knowledge never hurts

Word from JD's uncle, who my mother of all people happens to work with:

- most probable kit change: sky blue home, red and white away. Pretty much backing up what the sheikh said.

Retirement age way above 70 where he works eh? :P 

It seems the most logical decision as thats what Man city does with its away kits, uses the 'traditional' colours of the club

Edited by Dylan

- most probable kit change: sky blue home, red and white away. Pretty much backing up what the sheikh said.

will sell more away kits than home.

Home Kit $25

Away Kit $350

Hmmm..which one will I buy...

Best described as the "Cardiff Option".

Would make a mockery of the statement at the fans forum "that they didn't want to do a Cardiff".

• Like 4

It seems the most logical decision as thats what Man city does with its away kits, uses the 'traditional' colours of the club

JD is not as old as you might have thought. I think he's 39.

Hard life?

Hard life?

Actually, he is only 36. I was was off what I first thought

Best described as the "Cardiff Option".

Would make a mockery of the statement at the fans forum "that they didn't want to do a Cardiff".

I think we have disagreed with the colour situation throughout this. But I have to agree with you there. Id love to hear their explanations to how its not a Cardiff situation if we ever got the chance to get any and if it indeed happens this way. 

This is pretty much what I have been hinting at, with the addition of "Melbourne City". I know many here don't want it, or want to think about it, but I would be very surprised if it doesn't happen.

Hard life?

Actually, he is only 36. I was was off what I first thought

I think you'll find it's brother Joey who's 36.

• Like 1

The off-season is bad enough by itself. Heart has never been much good at communication, and after such a lousy season all we seem to have is rumour and speculation, which just adds to the general melancholia. Would be nice to get something out of the club to reassure us that they realise we're still here...

• Like 1

At the end of the Tuesday SEN show the World of Football (or the Soccer Hour or whatever), I forget whether the word "could" or "should" was used, but Davutovic said "there should/could be some rippers to discuss on next week's show, just quietly" (paraphrasing).

I would be surprised if there wasn't some announcements by next Thursday or Friday at the latest, if only to announce the signing of Mooy (who's all but certain to play his last game for the Wanderers Wednesday next week).

But I reckon there must be either some statements or media reports before then.

Also I'm fine not hearing anything about Engelaar. No news is good news with regards to him, because the only early announcement regarding him would be that he's leaving. No announcement shows he's considering the Heart offer to go inside the salary cap.

It has been torturous, like waiting for an execution, and it is surprising that Man City weren't able to at least give a clear timeframe. That could be read as suggesting that they've been working on decisions, and that no decisions were set in stone. Anyway, I'm hopeful we'll hear something on a weekday either this week or next week.

At the end of the Tuesday SEN show the World of Football (or the Soccer Hour or whatever), I forget whether the word "could" or "should" was used, but Davutovic said "there should/could be some rippers to discuss on next week's show, just quietly" (paraphrasing).

I would be surprised if there wasn't some announcements by next Thursday or Friday at the latest, if only to announce the signing of Mooy (who's all but certain to play his last game for the Wanderers Wednesday next week).

But I reckon there must be either some statements or media reports before then.

Also I'm fine not hearing anything about Engelaar. No news is good news with regards to him, because the only early announcement regarding him would be that he's leaving. No announcement shows he's considering the Heart offer to go inside the salary cap.

It has been torturous, like waiting for an execution, and it is surprising that Man City weren't able to at least give a clear timeframe. That could be read as suggesting that they've been working on decisions, and that no decisions were set in stone. Anyway, I'm hopeful we'll hear something on a weekday either this week or next week.

That probably coincides with the point he made on the studs up blog this week. When he said there is a small window now to make announcements before the world cup, then there is after the world cup. 

You may not find this pleasant but it is starting to make more and more sense.

Melbourne cost City in the region of £7m ($13.1m), but City have announced that they have made £22.45m ($40.77m) from "licensing intellectual property to third parties", which is widely being reported as being NYCFC and Melbourne Heart.

This is the reality guys, whether it is liked or not. 

Melbourne cost City in the region of £7m ($13.1m), but City have announced that they have made £22.45m ($40.77m) from "licensing intellectual property to third parties", which is widely being reported as being NYCFC and Melbourne Heart.

It's very clear that the CFG expansion into the MLS and HAL has been driven in large part by the UEFA rules designed to reign in spending by clubs like MCFC and PSG and Chelsea. Shifting costs and generating internal 'income' through 'licensing' deals is an essential strategy. It would be interesting to see if they divest themselves if UEFA close that loophole

I completely disagree. Those figures were spouted off by some know-nothing journo and the vast majority of City fans, at least on Bluemoon, are highly skeptical of them. Sure, I can see there being some transfer of money in the form of the scouting, but £22m? Hardly. Far more likely that at least half of that figure comes from all the ridiculous sponsorships we've signed recently, like the City-branded Malaysian credit cards (or something), the several Asian energy drinks companies who have paid us for the rights to put our badge on their drinks, and even the sponsorship with our official Car Battery Partner for Thailand (I kid you not, that's a real sponsorship we have).

With all these crazy Asian companies falling over themselves to put the City logo on anything that can be made out of cheap sub-standard plastic, I'm pretty sure that's where the majority of that figure comes from...

To me, City's involvement in Heart is clearly for two purposes, and neither of them are about cheating FFPR - and even if that were the case, now that UEFA has shown that it intends to ignore any attempt we make at playing by the rules, you can bet that there's no point trying that trick again anyway. To me, City's involvement is obviously for two things - creating a globally-recognised and globally-supportable network of teams, and about creating a world-spanning chain of academies.

Edited by Falastur

I completely disagree. Those figures were spouted off by some know-nothing journo and the vast majority of City fans, at least on Bluemoon, are highly skeptical of them. Sure, I can see there being some transfer of money in the form of the scouting, but £22m? Hardly. Far more likely that at least half of that figure comes from all the ridiculous sponsorships we've signed recently, like the City-branded Malaysian credit cards (or something), the several Asian energy drinks companies who have paid us for the rights to put our badge on their drinks, and even the sponsorship with our official Car Battery Partner for Thailand (I kid you not, that's a real sponsorship we have).

With all these crazy Asian companies falling over themselves to put the City logo on anything that can be made out of cheap sub-standard plastic, I'm pretty sure that's where the majority of that figure comes from...

To me, City's involvement in Heart is clearly for two purposes, and neither of them are about cheating FFPR - and even if that were the case, now that UEFA has shown that it intends to ignore any attempt we make at playing by the rules, you can bet that there's no point trying that trick again anyway. To me, City's involvement is obviously for two things - creating a globally-recognised and globally-supportable network of teams, and about creating a world-spanning chain of academies.

Firstly stop visiting Bluemoon. No, seriously. 

Secondly, even if, as ridiculous as it sounds, City have a "Car Battery Partner" this would be deemed as a sponsor and not "selling intellectual rights". City have and are looking at new ways of bringing in capital, and buyng clubs is just one of them. Through this they can make a shit-load of money. They may want the club to do well (of this I have no doubt) but money is the end game.

The pretentious fuckwits running the club need to announce everything already, no more of this BS talk about not wanting to take the limelight from the A-League finals, EPL finish, World Cup, etc.

And thanks for the fucking whale on the logo, you've definitely appeased the fans with this symbol that no on associates with Melbourne at all.

Edited by Tesla

I certainly agree that if changes have been decided and approved by FFA that the various parties should announce them as soon as possible.

It's in everyone's interests to do so. From our perspective, it will give all current Melbourne Heart supporters sufficient time to decide what they want to do, whether it is to walk or stay. But surely it's also in City's interests to get any bad news over and done with to let any negative reactions dissipate?

Given that this is an FFA franchise, I think FFA is also negligent in all this. Instead of all the hype over Brisbane and WSW pay some attention to the other 8 "clubs" that make up the league, especially, in the current circumstances, to Heart.

I'd say I'm a moderate in all this, and I'll be staying with the new Heart/City or whatever. But after four seasons as a loyal member along with Mrs. JW  the deafening silence is pissing me off.