Melbourne Football

Round 6 v Sydney FC - AAMI Park Friday 16th

Mstrkrft

Sydney FC defender Tiago Calvano's season could be over after he was cited for making contact with a referee during the Sky Blues' 3-2 win over Melbourne Victory at the weekend.

The Brazilian is expected to receive a lengthy suspension when he faces an A-League disciplinary committee hearing next week.

The ban could be for eight or nine months.

The Brazilian grabbed referee Peter Green's arm just before teammate Marc Warren was red-carded in the 25th minute of Saturday night's game ag Allianz Stadium.

The match review panel has suspended Warren and Adelaide United's Nigel Boogaard for one match each.

Warren was sent off for dragging down Victory's Connor Pain as he sped towards goal while Boogaard was marched in the 90th minute of the Reds' 2-1 loss to Newcastle for a tackle on Jets star Emile Heskey.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1173129/Calvano-faces-lengthy-suspension

Sydney FC defender Tiago Calvano's season could be over after he was cited for making contact with a referee during the Sky Blues' 3-2 win over Melbourne Victory at the weekend.

The Brazilian is expected to receive a lengthy suspension when he faces an A-League disciplinary committee hearing next week.

The Brazilian grabbed referee Peter Green's arm just before teammate Marc Warren was red-carded in the 25th minute of Saturday night's game ag Allianz Stadium.

The match review panel has suspended Warren and Adelaide United's Nigel Boogaard for one match each.

Warren was sent off for dragging down Victory's Connor Pain as he sped towards goal while Boogaard was marched in the 90th minute of the Reds' 2-1 loss to Newcastle for a tackle on Jets star Emile Heskey.

8 or 9 months is pretty harsh I reckon. Danny Vukovic got a similar penalty, but I don't think either action was violent. Definitely stupid though. I mean, you should never touch a ref. But around 8 weeks seems more appropriate for a non violent touch or hold of an arm.

It looks worse to me when you see a whole group of players surround a ref to protest a decision. That's more intimidating than Tiago's stupid grab of the ref's arm. Vukovic's was probably worse I think, so I'd be surprised if he got that much.

8 or 9 months is pretty harsh I reckon. Danny Vukovic got a similar penalty, but I don't think either action was violent. Definitely stupid though. I mean, you should never touch a ref. But around 8 weeks seems more appropriate for a non violent touch or hold of an arm.

It looks worse to me when you see a whole group of players surround a ref to protest a decision. That's more intimidating than Tiago's stupid grab of the ref's arm. Vukovic's was probably worse I think, so I'd be surprised if he got that much.IIRC Vukovic got 13 games. Since however it was from the last game of the season then he was 'out' 8-9 months. Timing is everything.

I thought Tiago's was quite accidental but stupid whichever way you see it

Edited by mattyh001

Drop Williams touch and ball distribution is terrible and he creates no presence and lacks creativity. 

hes a striker. 

judge him when he plays in his proper position. 

But that is the point,

He is near useless when not played in his proper position so someone should be played at Number 10 instead.

Drop Williams touch and ball distribution is terrible and he creates no presence and lacks creativity. 

hes a striker. 

But that is the point,

He is near useless when not played in his proper position so someone should be played at Number 10 instead.

Nicky fuckin' Kalmar!

hes a striker. 

But that is the point,

Nicky fuckin' Kalmar!

I would give Kalmar a half and if he is putting in one of poorer displays - Swap him at the break with Mauk.

hes a striker.

But that is the point,

Nicky fuckin' Kalmar!

I would give Kalmar a half and if he is putting in one of poorer displays - Swap him at the break with Mauk. Not sure if its lacking game time or general fitness but last week in my opinion kalmar looked a bit heavy.

I've seen garbage trucks do u turn quicker in my court.

Still I like his ball holding skills, imposing player

• Like 1

hes a striker.

judge him when he plays in his proper position. But that is the point,

He is near useless when not played in his proper position so someone should be played at Number 10 instead. Nicky fuckin' Kalmar! I would give Kalmar a half and if he is putting in one of poorer displays - Swap him at the break with Mauk. Not sure if its lacking game time or general fitness but last week in my opinion kalmar looked a bit heavy.

I thought Mauk looked lively when he came on,

As with most young Heart players - Until they are either sold or the virus the rest of the team suffers from gets into their veins as well.

He did look slow, but that could just be in comparison to the rest of our attackers who all try to sprint the ball into the back of the net.  Kalmar slows it down and looks to spread the play around to open gaps.  Wouldn't mind seeing the Kalmar + Mauk combo again for a bit of creativity and passing.

That would involve playing two attacking mids at the same time as opposed to two defensive mids, Aloisi will never allow it again!

Kalmar is 26. Fourth season with Heart. Williams is 25, and this is his third season. Both need to make it this season, or they won't. Most clubs would have ditched them already.

Start Kalmar. If after 30 minutes he's not making an impression bring on Mauk.

That would involve our coach making a sub before the 60min mark, Aloisi will never allow it.

Kalmar is 26. Fourth season with Heart. Williams is 25, and this is his third season. Both need to make it this season, or they won't. Most clubs would have ditched them already.

Start Kalmar. If after 30 minutes he's not making an impression bring on Mauk.

That would involve our coach making a sub before the 60min mark, Aloisi will never allow it.

Before the 70th even is still rare.

hes a striker.

judge him when he plays in his proper position. But that is the point,

He is near useless when not played in his proper position so someone should be played at Number 10 instead. Nicky fuckin' Kalmar! I would give Kalmar a half and if he is putting in one of poorer displays - Swap him at the break with Mauk. Not sure if its lacking game time or general fitness but last week in my opinion kalmar looked a bit heavy.

at the match I thought Kalmar looked totally slow and heavy, like he was injured, I watched the match later on the box and he looked ok , go figure

He did look slow, but that could just be in comparison to the rest of our attackers who all try to sprint the ball into the back of the net. Kalmar slows it down and looks to spread the play around to open gaps. Wouldn't mind seeing the Kalmar + Mauk combo again for a bit of creativity and passing.

Good point

Most players would look slow with Williams, murdocca, Ramsey and mifsud buzzing around them.

Jw I agree in saying Willo was disappointing before this year... But lets be honest now, when he plays out wide and doesn't need anything but pace he is dangerous.

I know he's scored our only two goals of the season, but in general his shooting is atrocious. Body weight distribution is not over the ball, and he just blazes away over the bar.

IMO as one of our senior players he just doesn't produce enough.

I'm really despondent about us pulling this season into respectability. Probably need a holiday.

• Like 1

Jw I agree in saying Willo was disappointing before this year... But lets be honest now, when he plays out wide and doesn't need anything but pace he is dangerous.

I know he's scored our only two goals of the season, but in general his shooting is atrocious. Body weight distribution is not over the ball, and he just blazes away over the bar.

IMO as one of our senior players he just doesn't produce enough.

I'm really despondent about us pulling this season into respectability. Probably need a holiday.

Tap ins he can do. Shooting? Yeah nah. Golgol and Ramsay thanks

hes a striker. 

But that is the point,

i agree...

but if we have 2 CAM's on the bench and a striker playing (not well) in that position then what is that telling you about Aloisi's confidence in them?

Regarding kalmars movement I don't know what they do there at heart but it's plain to see he doesn't have much mobility through his hips which makes him run awkwardly and look slow, which in turn would tire him out sooner. He overcompensates his movement by leaning forwards more which in turn causes more stress on the lower back and makes his hamstring and calf stretch more and work overtime. No surprise he had a calf injury.

• Like 1

Regarding kalmars movement I don't know what they do there at heart but it's plain to see he doesn't have much mobility through his hips which makes him run awkwardly and look slow, which in turn would tire him out sooner. He overcompensates his movement by leaning forwards more which in turn causes more stress on the lower back and makes his hamstring and calf stretch more and work overtime. No surprise he had a calf injury.

I use to go to school with him & play against him. He's always had that awkward looking run. Probably can't be coached out of him.

Williams to be dropped completely, let Kalmar and Mauk have a go in #10 seeing as they do more 10 minutes then Williams does in 90.

Bring another one of youth players up for fuck sake and drop Williams, he has been shocking for 3 straight seasons and is useless in 99% of the games he has played.

But yet again, having JA as a manager, dont see him letting more than 3-4 young kids on the game day squad.

I use to go to school with him & play against him. He's always had that awkward looking run. Probably can't be coached out of him. He probably doesn't need the running so much anymore since he is very good at holding up the ball and he will have mass nipping around him where as last season we didn't have a player like mass in the midfield Edited by Dylan

if Migliorini is still injured I'd play Mauk next to Kalmar in CAM and Murdocca just behind

Sydney have probably the slowest midfield in the league with Thompson, Carle and ADP so with Mauk and Murdocca zipping around it will cause problems.

Could be another reason why Kalmar played well against them last season as he's got more time on the ball and is able to work some magic

if Migliorini is still injured I'd play Mauk next to Kalmar in CAM and Murdocca just behindSydney have probably the slowest midfield in the league with Thompson, Carle and ADP so with Mauk and Murdocca zipping around it will cause problems.Could be another reason why Kalmar played well against them last season as he's got more time on the ball and is able to work some magic

If Mauk and Kalmar played next to each other it would force them slightly deeper. Leaving Mifsud even more isolated.

Edited by HeartinHobart