Melbourne Football

Grant Holt

Braveheart

Then Benteke to sign for Heart.. ;)

Nooo, we (Villa) need Benteke! Give him another 10 years at Villa and then he can follow in King Heskey's footsteps and make his way to the A-League.  :)

I think it has to be remembered that Grant Holt is contracted to Norwich City until the middle of 2015. Because of that fact, Heart was never going to be able to negotiate with Norwich City and Grant Holt behind closed doors, and away from the media. Norwich supporters would go ballistic if it was suddenly announced that their club's captain, Grant Holt, has been released and signed to Heart. Even negotiating/sorting out a release for Massimo Murdocca from Brisbane Roar wasn't straightforward or easy.

I think its a mainly a matter of respect that Heart have "put in a formal request to negotiate" with Holt. It would be a PR disaster for Norwich City if matters weren't undertaken this way.

Hopefully we can sort things out with Norwich and Holt. Heart has spoken about or suggested pursuing a premier league marquee striker for a while, so it's quite possible that a lot of groundwork has been done to help discussions with Norwich City and Grant Holt move along fairly quickly. 

the good thing this off-season seems to be that we won't have any signings dragging on until a week before the season starts.

I read a couple of days ago JD stated that all the signings that the club has set out to make will be in training by the start of July at the latest, and Munn also said last week everything was to be completed in the next 3 weeks. So at least we'll have some closure in the next 2 weeks about our signings.

Given the timing, his nickname could also be Steve Holt! 

Yeah, when I've caught a Norwich game and heard his name I couldn't help thinking "Steve Holt!"

I reckon it would be great to get him, but not holding my breath.

wouldnt spending two million on a transfer fee, then on top of that another million on wages be abit of a waste of money? thats three million which IMO opinion could bring us an australian Marquee (someone like bresciano, kennedy, mcdonald), as well as an international Marquee who would be a free agent. As much as having holt would be incredible....three million dollars could get us alot more than just one star player. Even if FFA does contribute

• Like 1

I'd love to know how much this guy's initial price would be on A-League's official fantasy comp. Heskey was $227k and Del Piero was $242k so Holt should be around $275k I reckon.

I'd say he'd be on par with Heskey (not in real life of course) as the fantasy comp often underrates and overrates some players almost seemingly at random ahaha

wouldnt spending two million on a transfer fee, then on top of that another million on wages be abit of a waste of money? thats three million which IMO opinion could bring us an australian Marquee (someone like bresciano, kennedy, mcdonald), as well as an international Marquee who would be a free agent. As much as having holt would be incredible....three million dollars could get us alot more than just one star player. Even if FFA does contribute

i doubt we would consider paying 2 million tbh, or 1 million, but they have to start somewhere just like we started pretty low or what is realistic for us, if they started at what they wanted they couldnt barter into any position.

I didnt realise he was contracted, i would think it is much more unlikely now, as you mention when you add up teh wages and the transfer wee we would be reaching closer to 1.5 a year atleast for the first season.

I'm not believing anything until I see quotes/evidence.

I personally think it was pie in the sky stuff but happy to be proved wrong. Trying to obtain an overseas marquee whilst under contract? Just makes no sense to me. His value at worst would be £1 million then the salary on top of that.

Either the club has serious funding or they didn't do their homework.

Could be the greatest coup the league has seen or another mismanaged effort.

Edited by Melburnian

Would have loved to see Holt playing for us next year, would have been the best striker in the League.  Honestly though unless he was on the run from the law or the ex or something I couldn't see how we could convince him to come play down under- not when he's clearly a force to be reckoned with in the Premier League.

Heart also hasn't given up hope of luring English Premier League striker Grant Holt to Melbourne.

The club has three foreign player spots still available.

It intended using one on Englishman Holt, although the chances of doing so are appearing less likely.

It is believed Holt is open to a move to Australia.

The 32-year-old spent time in Perth, playing for state league side Sorrento, as a youngster and he appears to be on the outer at Norwich, given the club recently paid about $12.5 million for Dutch striker Ricky van Wolfswinkel.

But the Canaries captain still has two years left on his contract, meaning Heart must make a sizeable transfer bid - the first of which has been rejected.

Reports in the British press have suggested Holt is valued at about $3 million.

Heart football operations manager John Didulica has been in contact with Norwich several times during the week.

Maybe not completely done and dusted then..?

Got everything crossed, make this happen ffs!!

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/football/melbourne-heart-waits-on-contract-decision-from-harry-kewell/story-fnhq6mx8-1226654893306

Heart also hasn't given up hope of luring English Premier League striker Grant Holt to Melbourne.

The club has three foreign player spots still available.

It intended using one on Englishman Holt, although the chances of doing so are appearing less likely.

It is believed Holt is open to a move to Australia.

The 32-year-old spent time in Perth, playing for state league side Sorrento, as a youngster and he appears to be on the outer at Norwich, given the club recently paid about $12.5 million for Dutch striker Ricky van Wolfswinkel.

But the Canaries captain still has two years left on his contract, meaning Heart must make a sizeable transfer bid - the first of which has been rejected.

Reports in the British press have suggested Holt is valued at about $3 million.

Heart football operations manager John Didulica has been in contact with Norwich several times during the week.

Maybe not completely done and dusted then..?

Got everything crossed, make this happen ffs!!

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/football/melbourne-heart-waits-on-contract-decision-from-harry-kewell/story-fnhq6mx8-1226654893306

I would be amazed if we got him.

He would easily be the best striker in the league. The guy not only has the skill but gives his all every match. Will be a cult hero the likes we haven't seen before. Yes I will say bigger than GS. That may get me into some strife.

One question though, Norwich want £2 million plus Holt would want $1 million. Where in the world are we getting the $4 million to pull this off?

• Like 1