Melbourne Football

Grant Holt

Braveheart

Grant Holt link to Crystal Palace denied as Eagles begin talks with Dwight Gayle

SPECULATION linking Norwich City striker Grant Holt with a summer transfer to Crystal Palace have been quashed by his representative group.

The 32-year-old, who has scored more than 75 goals in four years at Carrow Road, had been rumoured by national press earlier this week with a move to Selhurst Park.

And despite his management rubbishing those claims, they believe that something could happen should Palace or any other club “test the water” with an offer.

“It’s just speculation, really,” Holt’s representative company told the Croydon Advertiser sports desk.

“Until a club, or Palace, show their cards and put down some money, we’ve had not contact with Palace over Grant.

“Obviously, the fact that Norwich have signed Ricky van Wolfswinkel for £8m and they want to bring one or two others in, it would probably be the right time for Grant to move on.

“We are in constant dialogue with Norwich, but there hasn’t been any enquiry at all from Palace so he’ll report back to pre-season training as normal next week.

“We’ve been in this situation with Grant many times throughout his career – until people put their money down, it’s just pure speculation, so that’s where we are with it at the moment.”

And should the Eagles go in with an enquiry for the former Nottingham Forest and Shrewsbury hitman, it could be for a lot less than what’s been quoted in the media.

“I think it’s really difficult to say (on Holt’s valuation)”, added the company spokesperson.

“There had been £4m quoted but I don’t think it would be that much to get him, I think it would be less than that.

“Norwich have a value, and he’s been a brilliant player for them over the past three seasons.

“I think it’s just a case of a club testing the water really.”

http://www.croydonadvertiser.co.uk/Grant-Holt-link-Crystal-Palace-denied-Eagles/story-19419472-detail/story.html#ixzz2XV55ozJ8 

Test those waters Heart!!!

They already have. Norwich rejected the offer for 2mil. So basically we are playing a waiting game. If noone offers Norwich with an offer they want they might have to fall back on the offer.

Best situation for us is they get nothing and holt wants to move on and they just cancel the contract and he gets here for free. From what I have seen on here and other places. He wants to come here but it was Norwich that was the thing in the way of a deal being done

Test those waters Heart!!!

They already have. Norwich rejected the offer for 2mil. So basically we are playing a waiting game. If noone offers Norwich with an offer they want they might have to fall back on the offer.

Best situation for us is they get nothing and holt wants to move on and they just cancel the contract and he gets here for free. From what I have seen on here and other places. He wants to come here but it was Norwich that was the thing in the way of a deal being done

I know Heart have apparently put forward an offer, but it looks like Heart need to clearly signal their intent again in some way.

It looks like Holt is fairly eager to leave Norwich if his representatives are going to the media like this. It also looks like there isn't much competition for Holt. All that is real good news for us.

That his representatives are also saying 'Holt is cheaper than you think', is positive as well.

I agree that the best case scenario is for Norwich to release Holt for nothing, but I think Heart would be rather naive if they expect that best case scenario to easily eventuate.

Hopefully as time wears on Norwich realise that it's in their interest to cut their losses and release/sell Holt, as they won't get a bonanza for him.

Edited by Murfy1

I've read that we offered AUD$1m (GBP600,000), which was rejected because Norwich wanted a GBP2m (AUD$3.3m) transfer fee which is way above what we're obviously prepared to play.

I reckon, if we lift our offer to GBP1m (AUD$1.65m) we'll definitely be in for a chance to get him!

I've read that we offered AUD$1m (GBP600,000), which was rejected because Norwich wanted a GBP2m (AUD$3.3m) transfer fee which is way above what we're obviously prepared to play.

I reckon, if we lift our offer to GBP1m (AUD$1.65m) we'll definitely be in for a chance to get him!

We should pull the pin on the offer to Garcia, multiply that by 3 and add it to our offer to Norwich for Holt, and get him on a 3-year contract.

Does anyone know if the offer we gave was off our own back or with ffa help?

Seeing as we have a realistic chance of landing Holt now, surely they will help us out???

Don't know the answer to your first question, but IIRC FFA has said that it will help each of the clubs to secure the services of a quality foreign player.

Norwich have agreed a deal to sign Ola Toivonen from PSV Eindhoven, according to the Dutch club.

The Swedish striker has been linked with a possible move to Carrow Road since the end of last season.

The 26-year-old had one year left on his PSV contract, but had previously stated their asking price of £4million was too high.

However, PSV director Marcel Brands claims that with the two clubs having agreed a deal, matters are now in the Swedish player's hands.

"We never comment on any sums, but we have reached an agreement with Norwich for Ola," Brands told Swedish newspaper SportBladet.

"Now it's entirely up to him to decide whether he wants to move.

"We start training on Monday, if there is no deal with Norwich then I expect to him to be here."

Now they've signed Ricky van Wolfswinkel and agreed a fee for Ola Toivonen all signs to Holt leaving are on lets just hope its to Melbourne rather then sticking around in the slums of the lower levels of the Championship.

• Like 1

So, hypothetically, the 2mil offer was stand alone heart money, with ffa help we can bid higher yeh?

Whats stopping us?

The fact that it's a hypothetical and most likely not the case? So you're saying the 2mil offer was ffa backed? Can anybody clear this up?

So, hypothetically, the 2mil offer was stand alone heart money, with ffa help we can bid higher yeh?

Whats stopping us?

The fact that it's a hypothetical and most likely not the case? So you're saying the 2mil offer was ffa backed? Can anybody clear this up?

FFA fund most Marquees, they helped sydney to sign Lucas Neil and Del Piero.

I don't see why they wouldn't  help Heart fund Holt.

Melbourne Heart are no longer favourites to sign Holt on Skybet.com.

Wigan have firmed as favourites at $2.00, Crystal Palace and Heart are both $8.00 with Aston Villa, West Ham and Celctic are 10 to 1, whereas Hull City is 12 to 1.

The bookies usually know what they're doing and Wigan are strong favourites so not looking good for Heart from this angle.

As a Wigan fan this situation is pretty weird for me. Would probably prefer him come to heart rather than Wigan purely because he's gonna benefit heart a lot more than he will the Latics. Would like Kone sign on for another season instead of getting Holt at Wigan tbh.

Wigan have firmed as favourites at $2.00, Crystal Palace and Heart are both $8.00 with Aston Villa, West Ham and Celctic are 10 to 1, whereas Hull City is 12 to 1.

The bookies usually know what they're doing and Wigan are strong favourites so not looking good for Heart from this angle.

"The bookies usually know what they're doing"????

They had us as favourites to sign him a day ago - which you point out in your own post haha

• Like 2

They had us as favourites to sign him a day ago - which you point out in your own post haha

Pretty sure they had us as faves for beckham as well

• Like 1

Yes, they obviously know of the offer from Wigan and think it's good enough to get him there! They have Wigan as the favourites because he's more likely to go there than Heart, before Wigan's offer, Heart were the frontrunners - hence, they know what they're doing...  :rolleyes:

Just like they know what they were doing when they had Qatar as favourites to get the 2022 FIFA WC!  :wacko:

Edited by Red or Dead
  • Like 2

As a Wigan fan this situation is pretty weird for me. Would probably prefer him come to heart rather than Wigan purely because he's gonna benefit heart a lot more than he will the Latics. Would like Kone sign on for another season instead of getting Holt at Wigan tbh.

I thought u supported City...

• Like 1

From what I saw of Holt last year, I reckon he's (still) Premier League quality and frankly, would be a bargain for a bottom half PL club.   Can't really see a player of his class ending up in the A League next season,  BUT a bloke has to dream!  Am encouraged by the fact that his future is not settled yet.

(Hopefully he's had a gutful of English winters.) 

Yep can't wait too see him get on the end of a few Gerhardt long balls over the top of our non existent midfield

Lol things to look forward to, last season all over again. Must be that attractive Dutch style of football we keep trying to replicate.

Yep can't wait too see him get on the end of a few Gerhardt long balls over the top of our non existent midfield

You are such a flog. Or an imbecile. Can't decide yet.

Morphine was it not you that started a thread about acceptable supporter behaviour.... Slightly hypocritical.

Morphine was it not you that started a thread about acceptable supporter behaviour.... Slightly hypocritical.

Morphine was it not you that started a thread about acceptable supporter behaviour.... Slightly hypocritical. Absolutely. If you can't beat them, join them my friend. It's the way of the world. Darwinism.

Morphine was it not you that started a thread about acceptable supporter behaviour.... Slightly hypocritical. Absolutely. If you can't beat them, join them my friend. It's the way of the world. Darwinism.

You better pull ya head in ya dog 

You are such a flog. Or an imbecile. Can't decide yet.Morphine was it not you that started a thread about acceptable supporter behaviour.... Slightly hypocritical.

You are such a flog. Or an imbecile. Can't decide yet.Morphine was it not you that started a thread about acceptable supporter behaviour.... Slightly hypocritical.Absolutely. If you can't beat them, join them my friend. It's the way of the world. Darwinism.

Darwinism? That's not Darwinism

Edited by Dylan

You are such a flog. Or an imbecile. Can't decide yet.Morphine was it not you that started a thread about acceptable supporter behaviour.... Slightly hypocritical.

You are such a flog. Or an imbecile. Can't decide yet.Morphine was it not you that started a thread about acceptable supporter behaviour.... Slightly hypocritical.Absolutely. If you can't beat them, join them my friend. It's the way of the world. Darwinism. Darwinism? That's not Darwinism

Adapting to ones environment sounds very Darwinistic to me ;)

• Like 1