Melbourne Football

2013-14 MEMBERSHIPS

Red or Dead

There is still a good chance of the membership for us next season being cheaper. Ours is only expensive because of AAMI and our club is now much more able to subsidise membership prices.

One would hope that could be the case, but I wouldn't hold your breath too much on that.

Memberships really do more incentive though. To only really get a few dollars off a standard GA ticket cost only really gets those who want to force themselves to attend matches to sign up. Its hardly a great deal overall, especially as its unlikely we can make all the matches.

NYCFC will also be playing ay Yankee Stadium for 3 years. The Yankee's having a stake in the team will likely lead to a better deal, but most people over there are up in arms that such a 2nd rate solution will be required for a few years. Hasn't gone down well at all.

Edited by Heart_fan

The NYCFC fan group are very much in favour of playing in Yankee stadium..Of course it´s a temporary solution but everyone have expected this.
Building anything, and certainly something like a stadium is no picnic in New York. Yankee stadium itself went thru something like 20 applications before they got a permission to build it.
But there´s no time limit, contrary to what NY Times speculated about.

At the first official press conference there was journalists that was quite sure that the cost for getting this franchise running will almost reach a billion US dollars so it´s high stakes.. :blink:

One of the things that perhaps could be considered for the future is actually asking STHs what "benefits" they would prefer. As a full adult member I don't go much for the trinkets that come with an ST, and I'd rather not receive them at all. $10 off the cost would suit me better!

I would like to see a significant cost benefit in buying an ST for the whole season - 13 home matches. If there is not a significant benefit I can see why people don't bother, and just rock up on the day and pay for that match at the gate. It's pretty easy when the stadium is generally less than 25% full.

We've also discussed on here many times various ideas at making STs more attractive to encourage new people to matches.

Overall IMO the club must work a lot harder to encourage people to buy STs.

There's little benefit to 13 home matches of the majority of those are losses, this has to change. Also like you I'd be happy to forgo a hat (particularly if its blue) and prefer to not pay extra for GA seating at a derby, or just pay less for the ST. Even better, I'd like to be heard by the franchisees

Proposed Changes to Membership Prices (IMO)

General Admission: Was $225; Now $190

Ace of Hearts: Was $750; Now $490

Premium A: Was $575; Now $360

Premium B: Was $430; Now $280

Active Supporter: Was $225; Now $150

Country Member: Receives 25% off any form of membership

Edited by n i k o

Why do country members get 25% off and why is Active cheaper when an active membership allows you into GA, but GA doesnt allow you into active?

Edited by hedaik

Active membership allowed only in active area. General admission only allowed in GA section. No overlap.

Edited: Active membership deserves the cheapest prices seeing as that area is the one that actually creates the atmosphere at games. Seems like common sense to me seeing as we want that area packed and sold out. Most clubs around the world do this.

Edited by n i k o

Country membership is already setup with a discount. The fact that I pay normal price is ok because I understand the commitment to drive for 300 km and over 3 hours each week to come to a home game and I also realise it takes me only 30 minutes to drive in. Seems like a fair compromise and way to attract country people to games.

Active area will then become full of families who just want to save money and will just treat it as a normal seating area. Extra staff will also be required to ensure that Active members don't cross into GA areas.

Still dont understand why country members deserve a 25% discount. Its their choice to live 300km away from a city and enjoy a better cost of living. Attracting people from Melbourne city is just as important as attracting people from the country.

Edited by hedaik

Active area will then become full of families who just want to save money and will just treat it as a normal seating area. Extra staff will also be required to ensure that Active members don't cross into GA areas. 

Still dont understand why country members deserve a 25% discount. Its their choice to live 300km away from a city and enjoy a better cost of living. Attracting people from Melbourne city are just as important as attracting people from the country. 

Sure, but if they are also choosing to spend up to $100-200 on petrol to get to each game they just may not choose to come at all. Why not make it easier for the small number of country STHs?

Still dont understand why country members deserve a 25% discount. Its their choice to live 300km away from a city and enjoy a better cost of living. Attracting people from Melbourne city are just as important as attracting people from the country.

I don't see the problem with country 'season tickets' having a discount. Taking into consideration the costs involved etc. I think it only fair as they will still end up paying almost twice as much as regular city goers during the season.

Active membership needs to be more stringently monitored by the club itself. Quite simple really.

Sure, but if they are also choosing to spend up to $100-200 on petrol to get to each game they just may not choose to come at all. Why not make it easier for the small number of country STHs?

Well probably choosing a more fuel efficient car might help them for a start. 

I don't see the problem with country 'season tickets' having a discount. Taking into consideration the costs involved etc. I think it only fair as they will still end up paying almost twice as much as regular city goers during the season.

What about my costs of paying more for a house to live in the city? Why don't I get a discount for that?

I'd also argue that a family driving from Ballarat to Melbourne in the 1 car would be cheaper and quicker than a family catching a tram or train from zone 2. 

Edited by hedaik
  • Like 2

What about my costs of paying more for a house to live in the city? Why don't I get a discount for that?

I'd also argue that a family driving from Ballarat to Melbourne in the 1 car would be cheaper and quicker than a family catching a tram or train from zone 2.

Well the first thing that would be established would be what distance would qualify someone in attaining a country membership. Ballarat might not fall within that and people from that area would still pay normal membership.

Going by your logic your not interested in getting country members involved with the club. You would have them sell their house that they have lived in for "longer than the club has been established" and move closer to watch a team that plays for 6 months of the year or you would have them sell their car and buy a more fuel efficient car for the 13 drives they will make to watch the club play.

Start calling them 'Season tickets' rather than 'memberships' for a start.

Inject those realistic expectations back into how we see the club.

You should've posted this 10 posts ago! I eventually figured it out, but I was like, what on earth is an STH and an ST? Lol

If anyone else read JW's post and wondered the same thing, STH = Season Ticket Holder / ST = Season Ticket  :)

To qualify as a "Country Member" you have to reside more than 100 km from the Melbourne GPO (2012-13 Membership Brochure).

My view on this is that people live in the "country" for a whole variety of reasons, not just the cost of living. A discount for country people should be looked at not as some form of compensation but as an incentive to become and continue to be an STH of Melbourne Heart.

On the subject of discounts IMO we're approaching the time when some recognition of "Foundation Members" might have earned something along those lines - say 10%?

But in general, there are so many ideas that could be pursued by the club if they're going to work harder in this area. And I see this as being an area where the club can differentiate itself from the others - part of the identity issue that is so topical.

It would be a huge mistake to have active as the cheapest tickets. cheap people would just buy active tickets go in there demand to be in their seat and then sit down in the active bays.

Restricting active memberships to active area would require extra staffing on each section to check tickets.

It would be a huge mistake to have active as the cheapest tickets. cheap people would just buy active tickets go in there demand to be in their seat and then sit down in the active bays.

Restricting active memberships to active area would require extra staffing on each section to check tickets.

As it is now, yes, but not if they were to make the whole end active.

Highly doubt this would happen for the following reasons:

1. They would not want to be sitting when the rest of yarraside is standing and singing in front of them

2. The club should be responsible for making it clear that the area is off bounds to anyone that wants to sit there and do nothing

3. Yarraside itself needs to 'police' the area as a group and flush out people that don't partake in active support

• Like 1

Brb, just going to go and buy a Prius so I can watch Melbourne Heart for a little bit cheaper each time I go.

• Like 1

Brb, just going to go and buy a Prius so I can watch Melbourne Heart for a little bit cheaper each time I go.

Or learn to drive above first gear or support Brisbane which is probably the closest team to them if they are spending $200 on petrol to get to Melbourne. 

Or learn to drive above first gear or support Brisbane which is probably the closest team to them if they are spending $200 on petrol to get to Melbourne. 

A return trip from the north east or western Victoria can use 60 - 100 L of petrol.

Haha I never said I paid $200 for fuel, I pay around $80 for the 600km round trip (my car runs on LPG) but when you add food into the mix on top of the time spent going to see your team (getting back home at 2-3am some nights after a 12 hour total trip), it's an all-around pretty big commitment so perhaps just give a little credit where credit's due.

I personally don't really care for any financial benefits because as you said, it's a choice for the supporter, although I for one am pretty keen to move to Melbourne next season because the costs of attending games will be dramatically reduced.

• Like 1

Haha I never said I paid $200 for fuel, I pay around $80 for the 600km round trip (my car runs on LPG) but when you add food into the mix on top of the time spent going to see your team (getting back home at 2-3am some nights after a 12 hour total trip), it's an all-around pretty big commitment so perhaps just give a little credit where credit's due.

I personally don't really care for any financial benefits because as you said, it's a choice for the supporter, although I for one am pretty keen to move to Melbourne next season because the costs of attending games will be dramatically reduced. Get a unicycle you lazy prick

• Like 1

The NYCFC fan group are very much in favour of playing in Yankee stadium..Of course it´s a temporary solution but everyone have expected this.

Building anything, and certainly something like a stadium is no picnic in New York. Yankee stadium itself went thru something like 20 applications before they got a permission to build it.

But there´s no time limit, contrary to what NY Times speculated about.

At the first official press conference there was journalists that was quite sure that the cost for getting this franchise running will almost reach a billion US dollars so it´s high stakes.. :blink:

I was going off many comments I have been reading who think this was the cheap solution which will do nothing good for their fan experience in the first few years.

The main issues raised were around the seats being far from the field and a pitch that looks like an afterthought. Add in that the Baseball and MLS seasons also do clash, which makes the pitch situation even more interesting.

Not saying I agree with it all, but its not all positive news to those who they would be counting on to become fans of the club.

As for the cost of 1 billion for the franchise, after spending $100 million on the licence, a need for a new stadium to be built (potentially $300 million plus), training facilities (who knows cost there) and all the set up costs, this may well be the case. Huge risk and makes their HAL investment look tiny.

Compared to the sheikhs $1trillion total wealth, even the $400million investment is nothing and I don't get why he won't just stump up the extra $150million for the land he wants in for free. The sooner he does the sooner they won't have to play at the baseball stadium.

Also our country members probably deserve discounts, every time they drive they are filling our owners coffers anyway.

Compared to the sheikhs $1trillion total wealth, even the $400million investment is nothing and I don't get why he won't just stump up the extra $150million for the land he wants in for free. The sooner he does the sooner they won't have to play at the baseball stadium.

Also our country members probably deserve discounts, every time they drive they are filling our owners coffers anyway.

The wealth is often book value, not readily available actual cash :)

One just needs to look at a certain Newcastle Jets owner who was a billionaire on paper, based on share values, but his actual financial position was not as healthy.

He is still a businessman though and he will try and milk the situation all he can to get the best deal in NYC possible.

• Like 2

Rich oil tycoons don't become rich oil tycoons by throwing their money about. It takes a sensible businessman to become as wealthy as he is. The less he spends and the smarter he spends it, the sooner he will see a return on his investment.

Rich oil tycoons don't become rich oil tycoons by throwing their money about. It takes a sensible businessman to become as wealthy as he is. The less he spends and the smarter he spends it, the sooner he will see a return on his investment.

No, rich oil tycoons become rich oil tycoons by being born into rich royal oil tycoon families. And btw if he doesn't stump up the $150million for the land the rest of the New Yorkers essentially then pick up the tab. To me it just seems silly to do that when he's an international business man with $1trillion accumulative worth.

Trust me, I get why making others pay for your land is a good business move.

• Like 1

One just needs to look at a certain Newcastle Jets owner who was a billionaire on paper, based on share values, but his actual financial position was not as healthy.

He is still a businessman though and he will try and milk the situation all he can to get the best deal in NYC possible.

Well said Heart Fan. Not "often" but "almost always" the bulk of wealth is the assessed book value of assets. Many, many people are asset rich but cash poor. One only has to look at the historical impact of death duties where property had to be sold to raise the cash to pay the duty.

And it still applies today. Quite a few elderly people are asset rich, in that they own their own house, contents and car etc., but are actually strapped for cash. Hence reverse mortgages.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

Well said Heart Fan. Not "often" but "almost always" the bulk of wealth is the assessed book value of assets. Many, many people are asset rich but cash poor. One only has to look at the historical impact of death duties where property had to be sold to raise the cash to pay the duty.

And it still applies today. Quite a few elderly people are asset rich, in that they own their own house, contents and car etc., but are actually strapped for cash. Hence reverse mortgages.

+1

Well said.

1. They would not want to be sitting when the rest of yarraside is standing and singing in front of them

2. The club should be responsible for making it clear that the area is off bounds to anyone that wants to sit there and do nothing

3. Yarraside itself needs to 'police' the area as a group and flush out people that don't partake in active support

Spot on. People who bought active tickets just to avoid the price hike wouldn't last very long and even then, outside of derby's they can just go and sit where they please

Having just read "Richer than God" i think you guys might be underestimating the financial resources of our friends from Adu Dhabi.  Whilst I'm sure a lot of their wealth is not liquid, the reality is they have a massive cash flow pouring in every day from their staggering oil reserves. 

Doesn't mean they make stupid business decisions though- I'm sure they'll show typical business prudence in regards to a land purschase in New York.

Spot on. People who bought active tickets just to avoid the price hike wouldn't last very long and even then, outside of derby's they can just go and sit where they please

Yep, although I wouldn't even allow them to go sit in GA when they please either because you would get people buying active justto sit in GA and avoid paying extra. If they buy active and realise it's not for them (which shouldn't happen if the club does it's job properly) and want to go sit in GA they can be directed to the membership tent during the game and pay the extra for a GA season ticket.