Melbourne Football

2013-14 MEMBERSHIPS

Red or Dead

We should set our sights much, much higher instead of being satisfied with what I believe are mediocre membership numbers.

There are only two professional A League teams in Melbourne competing for members compared with nine professional Melbourne AFL teams plus Geelong.

Look at the AFL membership numbers.

Collingwood - 78,259

Hawthorn - 63,021 

Richmond - 60,500 

Essendon - 56,187 

Carlton - 50,561 

Geelong - 42,900

North Melb - 35,135 

St. Kilda - 32,630

Melbourne - 33,106

Western B - 30.204

So let's put our membership numbers into perspective and stop cheering a few thousand. 

1. No point making this stupid comparison as the capacity of AAMI is 32k...

2. We're three years old...some of these clubs go back over 100 years

3. Football isn't the biggest sport in this state

4. Collingwood may have 80,000 members but they can't get anymore than 50,000 to their final against Port Adelaide. 

Just off the top of my head. 

Edited by Deluka

We should set our sights much, much higher instead of being satisfied with what I believe are mediocre membership numbers.

There are only two professional A League teams in Melbourne competing for members compared with nine professional Melbourne AFL teams plus Geelong.

Collingwood - 78,259

Hawthorn - 63,021 

Richmond - 60,500 

Essendon - 56,187 

Carlton - 50,561 

Geelong - 42,900

North Melb - 35,135 

St. Kilda - 32,630

Melbourne - 33,106

Western B - 30.204

So let's put our membership numbers into perspective and stop cheering a few thousand. 

i think your perspective is a little fish eyed. 

Melbourne's football code is AFL. It's constantly in the media and is always a talking point in conversation. 

Harry kewell, voted Australia's best Footballer, joins a team in the sporting capital and gets 5 mins of air time. Essendon players get jabbed a couple of times while having their players consent and they get 5 months.

The fact that the numbers are growing per year, is a really good result. And an even better result is SBS giving us Live Friday night games.

Edited by Deviate
  • Like 1

Collingwood - 78,259

Hawthorn - 63,021 

Richmond - 60,500 

Essendon - 56,187 

Carlton - 50,561 

Geelong - 42,900

North Melb - 35,135 

St. Kilda - 32,630

Melbourne - 33,106

Western B - 30.204

Mate, we're talking about a 15%-20% increase in memberships this season! That's HUGE for a three year old club who not only plays in a city where AFL dominates (everything), but we're also up against the biggest football club in the land who had a healthy 5 year head start...and let's not forget we came off our worst season finishing 9th out of 10!

Why don't you log in to the Melbourne Demons or St Kilda's forums and tell them how shit they're doing compared to Collingwood since they've been around longer than them?

• Like 1

We may not have a title and our fanbase may be small, but we have the Yarraside who sings from dusk till dawn. Ect.

Seriously though

Surpassing last seasons round 1 total 4 weeks out from the season is great! Doubt it has much too much to do with our off season or advertising campaign though and think its more all the renewals of the first time members last season from the one melbournian campaign. Hopefully we can all push it hard again this season and the boys can back it up on field and we can reach/surpass some goals.

• Like 1

Keep in mind that plain numbers at the games do not create excitement.

Active support does!!!!

Uniform colour! Singing! Chanting! Noise!

That's what we need at our games

That is what draws many people in as much as the actual games do.

I invaded 2 hardcore afl supporters who turned up to the game with couple other mates.

They loved atmosphere created by Yarraside and couldn't believe this was what "soccer" was like.

I insisted they show up to the derby game in December.

The rest is history.... 6 memberships later they having great time ... Sold!

How do you get more ppl to get actively involved at home games?

I got in to few arguments when we stood up clapping during our corner kick, while some tossers behind us suggested we sit as they can't see.

Goes without saying they were quickly told to fuck off to bingo down the road.

Sorry for a long post but I wish more people got actively involved at games. It makes things so much better!!!!!

After three seasons of attending at least 8 games, finally putting my money where my mouth is, hate to sound like a shit supporter but the exciting new signings are what tipped me over the edge to finally get a membership. I honestly think my faith will be rewarded this season, our squad has never looked stronger and having actual competition for starting spots is a dilemma that JA would have been hoping for.

Active support does!!!!

I invaded 2 hardcore afl supporters who turned up to the game with couple other mates.

They loved atmosphere created by Yarraside and couldn't believe this was what "soccer" was like.

I got in to few arguments when we stood up clapping during our corner kick, while some tossers behind us suggested we sit as they can't see.

Sorry for a long post but I wish more people got actively involved at games. It makes things so much better!!!!!

I totally understand and agree with your point mate, although active supporters is very appealing to potential new fans, there are those who attend games that are a little older and just not the type to stand and chant but still come to games to show their support. That why I think those who do not wish to chant,jump, etc, should sit away from the yarraside boys rather than complain.

• Like 1

If we can perform this season, 10K is not beyond us. Cannot wait for the season ahead!!

Iirc Munn once said that the club has had 13,000 unique members over its first three seasons (was said midway through last season). This means that there are 7,000 people who were Heart members who did not renew last season. If we started doing well I am certain that Heart "supporters" would start turning up in those numbers

Active support does!!!!

I agree with you. The atmosphere at AFL games can't beat a Melbourne Derby.

Can someone please display the memeberships at present for all the A-league teams?

Heart - 4,788

4823 right now. That's 35 more than around the same time yesterday! I imagine this would go up quite a bit now after today's Mifsud signing  :)

4851 at 10.06 p.m.  That's 28 in the past 8 hours.

Can someone please display the memeberships at present for all the A-league teams?

Heart - 4,788

4823 right now. That's 35 more than around the same time yesterday! I imagine this would go up quite a bit now after today's Mifsud signing  :)

4851 at 10.06 p.m.  That's 28 in the past 8 hours.

That might have more to do with Niall from One Direction tweeting that he trained with Melbourne Heart today rather than the Mifsud announcement! haha

Maybe the current jump in members is from people with names like Spiteri, Zammit, Muscat, Borg, Mifsud and so on. The current spurt in 'facebook likes' would probably be the teenage groupies. 

And for some 13 year old Heart fan with a Maltese background and One Direction posters all over her room, today was a pretty frickin cool day.

• Like 1

Alot of people like myself will join up at the first home game on the 19th of Oct.Unless the club has a tent up at the derby,then they`ll get my money a week early.

Still 31 days till our round 2 game at AAMI park. :)

Just out of curiosity mate and not having a go at all,but why would you wait until the first home game?

Wouldn't you want the membership in your hand before the start of the season??