Melbourne Football

Proposed merger with South Melbourne (rejected)

marteaux

Some of the best positive news coverage we've ever had. Perhaps it takes a hostile takeover bid to bring out the best in an organization.

I doffs me cap to Sidwell, Munn and the rest of Heart HQ for handling this so well.

Feel good about being part of the Heart tribe.

• Like 2

Alright since there seem to be quite a few people here without a brain, I'll spell it out for you.

1. You can't have an ethnic-based team in the A-League when the very league was founded on eradicating ethnic rivalry. South are trying to push their way into the league through any means, but if the league is to maintain any credibility these kind of actions need to be stamped out. If South are allowed to enter the league, then why should the likes of Melb Knights, etc be excluded? Might as well bring back the NSL if we are going to go down this path.

2. I'm not sure some of you here have ever attended VPL or state league matches. Do you really want thousands of Greeks rocking up and slowly pushing out the Melbourne Heart side of supporters? The club will be dominated by South Melbourne, so if you're that keen on supporting South Melbourne why haven't half you peanuts considered actually following the team? Go get baptised in a Greek church, go to Greek school and do yourself a few favours and buy a few Greek flags, because that is the team you'll be following. 

Too many idiots here are getting swept up in the WSW hype and wanting sold out Melbourne Heart matches asap, even if it's at the expense of everything the club has worked for thus far. Take a step back for a second and look at how this may affect the club in the long-term. Guaranteed, you'll go to a few games pumped that a big crowd has turned out, and before you know it you'll be wondering why you have no connection to the club.

I thought I was a half-arsed heart supporter (and I probably am), but people here that are frothing at the mouth at the prospect of merging with South Melbourne sicken me. Ando and a few others were spot on in their assessment of the situation.

Don't know about that.  would buy a m/ship to struggling clubs in another state.  I'll support the sport, but not buy a membership to local sides.

ridiculous idea bringing an ethnic club into the league.  the floodgates open then MArconi, United, Knights will be knocking on the door buying strugling clubs.  The FFA aren't stupid, they make strategic decisions, they get it wrong sometimes, but this option isn't worth a thought.  Such a move, will undo much of the good work done to get to this point in the Aleague... 

its never going to happen.  i and my small army of friends who are heart family members, would get up and walk away. I bet there will be many other disgruntled former VPL lovers or even unconnected supporters who will strongly agree with my views.

In addition, whats the average crowds to SM games, 2-3K?, how does that add to 20K?  The supporters of the great NSL days are gone, retired or passed on, they don't draw those types of crowds ever and will not come out of the woodwork.

Couldn't have put it much better myself guys.  Would never support an old NSL team in the A League, regardless of the "rebranding".  Growing up a follower of football, there was always a divide. Never being from the same ethnic background as the Melbourne teams, you always felt an offsider.

In that, the old NSL days did do good things for the game here and South Melbourne should look back with pride on their successes.  But there was a lot of rubbish that came along with it - which is why the A League was set up to get rid of the ethnic infighting in the game. 

Redirecting back to Heart, the challenge is to grow a brand against a very successful club with a five year head start.  Very tough indeed.  But people seem to also forget that the club is only 3 years old!!

Compare it with kids - a 3yo will come a fair way and an 8 yo will still have plenty to learn, but the comparable nature shows a huge disparity.  We just have to be patient as supporters, and help guide the club in the right direction.

"Those conversations were quite open and transparent but we made it very clear that there were some non-negotiables and one of them is that the founding owners always want to retain control.

"We'd love to invest more in areas such as marketing, advertising and most importantly the footy department.

"We can sustain a club, we can post a small profit and that puts us in an enviable position for investors, knowing they won't have to reach into their pocket each year."

Munn hoped that announcements regarding its training facilities and new signings would be made soon.

Coach John Aloisi and Hayden Foxe are currently in Europe on a scouting mission.

"We're continuing to work with the State Government on facilities and we look forward to John Aloisi and Hayden Foxe making some announcements on player signings soon," he said.

FUCK OFF SOUTH, YOU WERE THE PAST, WE ARE THE FUTURE 

Based on what has come out tonight, it is not even a merger. It is a take over. We would just become South Melbourne. And if any Heart supporter is ok with this, why are you even supporting Heart if you would be happy for them to just disappear?

• Like 1

All I have to say is

Wherever you go,

I will follow you

And I will sing for you

As long as there's a yarraside, ill stand, as long as we're the hearts, ill watch, and as long as there's an Archie Thomson to let know that he's a wife beater, ill be there.

• Like 1

Based on what has come out tonight, it is not even a merger. It is a take over. We would just become South Melbourne. And if any Heart supporter is ok with this, why are you even supporting Heart if you would be happy for them to just disappear?

deep down I believe we will be fine. We need to have a massive season this year. Board need to start working now. Get the best marquee available and start a marketing campaign.

South Melbourne FC Club Structure

President

Leo Athanasakis

Chairman

Nick Galatas

Treasurer

Peter Parthimos

Board of Management

Dr George Triantos - Membership, Merchandise, Marketing, and Events

Tony Margaritis - Membership, Merchandise, and General Business

Tom Kalas – Club Liaison responsible for the implementation of FFA National Competitions Review recommendations

Andrew Mesorouni - Youth Development 

Nick Maikousis - Sales

Administration

Peter Kokotis - General Manager

George Kouroumalis - Digital Media & Multimedia Manager, Graphic Designer and Marketing Manager

Michael Dimoudis - Web Manager

Cindy Nitsos - Club Photographer

Paul Zarogiannis - Video Production (SMFC TV)

David Henning - SMFC TV & SouthRadio host

John Kyrou - SMFC TV, SouthRadio host, Club Historian

Marissa Tasios - Marketing Assistant

Tim Dovas - SMFC TV Filming

Paul Mavroudis - Club Historian

Nick Szkilnik 

Broadbased club.

• Like 3

We should all  be in favour for this, we have been in the a-league for 3 years and we have only made one final appearance, and we have poor crowd attendances, we cut costs (Membership package,Players,Coach,Facilities)  look at our coach he has no experience and with him we came second last lucky not to take the wooden spoon on GD....... 
On the other hand look at western sydney and the success they have become. they have been in the a-league for 1 season and took the premiership plate and made it to the grand final...... and have a good marquee..........

Sell the club to South! Lets become South Melbourne Heart FC! We can keep our colours. We will become the biggest and feared team in australian football.

• Like 1

We should all  be in favour for this, we have been in the a-league for 3 years and we have only made one final appearance, and we have poor crowd attendances, we cut costs (Membership package,Players,Coach,Facilities)  look at our coach he has no experience and with him we came second last lucky not to take the wooden spoon on GD....... 

On the other hand look at western sydney and the success they have become. they have been in the a-league for 1 season and took the premiership plate and made it to the grand final...... and have a good marquee..........

Sell the club to South! Lets become South Melbourne Heart FC! We can keep our colours. We will become the biggest and feared team in australian football.

0012_ot.jpg

• Like 2

Did it hurt to write "we" every time you wrote it in your post? You're not a Heart fan!

We should all be in favour for this, we have been in the a-league for 3 years and we have only made one final appearance, and we have poor crowd attendances, we cut costs (Membership package,Players,Coach,Facilities) look at our coach he has no experience and with him we came second last lucky not to take the wooden spoon on GD.......

Sell the club to South! Lets become South Melbourne Heart FC! We can keep our colours. We will become the biggest and feared team in australian football.

Have you not read anything posted in this thread? If you are so in favour of this merger why do you even support this club? You would be better off just going and supporting south Melbourne

I think someone else posted this above in elsewhere. 

If you think South Melbourne becoming involved with Melbourne Heart is a good idea, you are not a Heart fan, you are a South Melbourne fan. You do not have the Heart's best interests in mind. 

Alright since there seem to be quite a few people here without a brain, I'll spell it out for you.

1. You can't have an ethnic-based team in the A-League when the very league was founded on eradicating ethnic rivalry. South are trying to push their way into the league through any means, but if the league is to maintain any credibility these kind of actions need to be stamped out. If South are allowed to enter the league, then why should the likes of Melb Knights, etc be excluded? Might as well bring back the NSL if we are going to go down this path.

2. I'm not sure some of you here have ever attended VPL or state league matches. Do you really want thousands of Greeks rocking up and slowly pushing out the Melbourne Heart side of supporters? The club will be dominated by South Melbourne, so if you're that keen on supporting South Melbourne why haven't half you peanuts considered actually following the team? Go get baptised in a Greek church, go to Greek school and do yourself a few favours and buy a few Greek flags, because that is the team you'll be following.

Too many idiots here are getting swept up in the WSW hype and wanting sold out Melbourne Heart matches asap, even if it's at the expense of everything the club has worked for thus far. Take a step back for a second and look at how this may affect the club in the long-term. Guaranteed, you'll go to a few games pumped that a big crowd has turned out, and before you know it you'll be wondering why you have no connection to the club.

I thought I was a half-arsed heart supporter (and I probably am), but people here that are frothing at the mouth at the prospect of merging with South Melbourne sicken me. Ando and a few others were spot on in their assessment of the situation.

You are right with the WSW hype. Clive Palmer or any flog could have started a team there and it would have been successful due to the base already out there. That area has been begging for a team for years. A different situation to us and Melbourne.

Besides, their bid for the second Melbourne team was Southern Cross F.C. I know our name took a while getting used to but fuck me. Southern Cross FC? :droy:

WSW were headed for a 9k attendance average at the beginning of January. This in "Australia's football heartland". Not much (about 1k) better than what we got in our first season. But then a decent marquee player, some quality imports (and player concessions) they won a premiership, had 6 derbies ( SFC, Jets, CCM), two home finals incl a grand final, and what do you know, the average ends up a 14.5k In comparison we finished 8th.

IMO this "identity" discussion is bullshit. On field results, quality players and home performances-every home game should be played as a must win, and even if we're outplayed the fans need to see the players bust a gut. This is what puts bums on seats.

Edited by Kiro Kompiro
  • Like 1

We should all  be in favour for this, we have been in the a-league for 3 years and we have only made one final appearance, and we have poor crowd attendances, we cut costs (Membership package,Players,Coach,Facilities)  look at our coach he has no experience and with him we came second last lucky not to take the wooden spoon on GD....... On the other hand look at western sydney and the success they have become. they have been in the a-league for 1 season and took the premiership plate and made it to the grand final...... and have a good marquee..........Sell the club to South! Lets become South Melbourne Heart FC! We can keep our colours. We will become the biggest and feared team in australian football. 

Fuck off back to south melbourne where you came from

South Melbourne FC Club Structure

President

Leo Athanasakis

Chairman

Nick Galatas

Treasurer

Peter Parthimos

Board of Management

Dr George Triantos - Membership, Merchandise, Marketing, and Events

Tony Margaritis - Membership, Merchandise, and General Business

Tom Kalas – Club Liaison responsible for the implementation of FFA National Competitions Review recommendations

Andrew Mesorouni - Youth Development 

Nick Maikousis - Sales

Administration

Peter Kokotis - General Manager

George Kouroumalis - Digital Media & Multimedia Manager, Graphic Designer and Marketing Manager

Michael Dimoudis - Web Manager

Cindy Nitsos - Club Photographer

Paul Zarogiannis - Video Production (SMFC TV)

David Henning - SMFC TV & SouthRadio host

John Kyrou - SMFC TV, SouthRadio host, Club Historian

Marissa Tasios - Marketing Assistant

Tim Dovas - SMFC TV Filming

Paul Mavroudis - Club Historian

Nick Szkilnik 

Broadbased club.

FFS even the club photographer had to be Greek

Lucky they got that Tim Dovas to broaden their base.

We can exist.....
We will exists
​the attendance at AAMI is achievable 
We are turning profits in arguably our worst season....
1, Marquee that is well known, not just a random name
2, ON FIELD SUCCESS, 

3, UNITY from all supporters our CEO has for once come out with a strong voice, Everyone from the top down need to be on the same page for 13/14 expect and settle for nothing less than success 

Reason I have marquee 1st is the catchment of new fans, it needs to be priority in order for the club to move forward...

WE ARE MELBOURNE 
AND WE WILL BE

THE GREATEST TEAM

THIS CITY HAS SEEN

We can exist.....

We will exists

​the attendance at AAMI is achievable 

We are turning profits in arguably our worst season....

1, Marquee that is well known, not just a random name

2, ON FIELD SUCCESS, 

3, UNITY from all supporters our CEO has for once come out with a strong voice, Everyone from the top down need to be on the same page for 13/14 expect and settle for nothing less than success 

Reason I have marquee 1st is the catchment of new fans, it needs to be priority in order for the club to move forward...

WE ARE MELBOURNE 

AND WE WILL BE

THE GREATEST TEAM

THIS CITY HAS SEEN

The so called, yet to be seen, profit is on the back of the sale of our 5 best players.....

Where will the next profit come from you think????

Attendance increase can only occur if we win games, both home and away, and there is something to put bums on seats. 

So far it has been 3 years and that has not happened...

Why are you so confident now that all of a sudden things will turn around?

Sidwell and other directors are rumoured to not being prepared to put in any more money.......good luck with those marquees then!!!!

Time will tell whether to turn down 3.5milliion was a bad idea...or whether they are actually after more.

My understanding is that Sidwell said at the fan forum that the club will be spending more money on players next season. Sponsors were prepared to pay extra for Beckham and FFA has said to all teams that they will help out with 'the right kind' of marquee player

• Like 1