Melbourne Football

Proposed merger with South Melbourne (rejected)

marteaux

Offer rejected, article is wrong. In the heart in the headlines thread they got a tweet from munn saying they did receive an offer but it was rejected outright. And as I said on that thread. How is 3.5 mil a take over offer when it costs 9.5 mil to run the club for 1 year?

Edited by Dylan
  • Like 1

Lol, not this shit again.

As I've said before, it's not going to happen for a number of reasons. And if by some small chance it does...well then South Melb Heart or whatever they'd be called can f**k right off.

• Like 5

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1149826/Takeover-bid-for-Melbourne-Heart-tabled

This deserves it's own thread.

I'll reserve my own extended opinion on this matter until I have heard others.

But I am 100% in favor of this.

Why would you be 100% in favour for this? The club would completely lose its' identity. Hellas will run the show and call the shots.

• Like 1

The only thing that worries me is in the article it says we don't have AAMI Park next season? Also that we need to have at least 15K people at each game to be profitable. So what does this mean for us? Constant losses = More young players sold? Can we be sustainable? Hmm.....

• Like 1

The only thing that worries me is in the article it says we don't have AAMI Park next season? Also that we need to have at least 15K people at each game to be profitable. So what does this mean for us? Constant losses = More young players sold? Can we be sustainable? Hmm.....

Never. Hence why this merge, takeover, whatever you want to call it needs to happen.

So out of the 7000 members that we have, who supports this? Are we just going to be Hellas, one of The reasons I never supported the NSL was because of the "exclusivity" of South to the Greeks, Knights to the Croats etc.

• Like 1

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1149826/Takeover-bid-for-Melbourne-Heart-tabled

Why would you be 100% in favour for this? The club would completely lose its' identity. Hellas will run the show and call the shots.

What identity?

There may be a complete lack of identity, but merging with South Melb will prevent any kind of identity ever being developed. It's just a sly way for South to enter the A-League. Would you rather have the Greek identity that comes with South?

What identity?

There may be a complete lack of identity, but merging with South Melb will prevent any kind of identity ever being developed. It's just a sly way for South to enter the A-League. Would you rather have the Greek identity that comes with South?

As opposed to absolutely no identity at all, forever?

yes.

I don't think this would ever pass A-League mustard for a few reasons, firstly rightly or wrongly, regardless of what South Melbourne do, they're always going to be known as a Greek club, which is something that the A-League isn't going to abide by, if solely for the reason that it limits the scope of our club so much. Secondly, the backers from South Melbourne if they wanted something do with an A-League club, could easily invest in Melbourne Heart and form a close association with South Melbourne, however they've shown no interest in doing this. If AAMI is too expensive to play at the moment, then this needs to be looked and a decision made.

• Like 3

What identity?

yes.

So you also expect South to sell out and become another modern franchise club? I can guarantee you that a lot of their supporters would be extremely pissed off if this happened. They may be in the spotlight of Australian football, but they would basically sell their soul in the process. 

Melbourne Heart FC can confirm it has received an offer from a consortium representing Victorian Premier League outfit South Melbourne FC for a portion of the Club’s shares.

Melbourne Heart FC can confirm this is the second time the Club has received an offer from this consortium and can confirm that it is the second time that the Club has rejected the offer.

The Club will announce a small profit at the end of this financial year.

The Club will look forward to investing in the football department, on and off the field, and competing for a finals position in the 2013-14 Hyundai A-League season.

• Like 5

Interesting development, it offers some advantages for membership in that South Melbourne is a club not a franchise. It does come with a lot of history but also a lot of baggage. I was never invited to the old NSL as I was never a member of the right ethnic group nor felt any joy in continuing hundreds of years of ethnic hatred through football allegiance. That may or may not have been an accurate perception but it did keep many fans away from the NSL, the HAL attendance is light years above that of the NSL in its heyday. South Melbourne has it's own ground but doesn't even attract the same regular attendance as Heart does so it isn't like there'd instantly be 15,000 people through the door.

On the other hand MHFC is operating in a difficult market. MV has been given a 5 year head start and has attracted most of the most passionate HAL fans in Melbourne, the task for both Melbourne clubs now is to attract fans beyond that 'easy' group in a market dominated by AFL, especially in the media. The WSW experience has shown that a new club can be successful but it must be adequately capitalised and be prepared to spend, Heart is neither at the moment. Despite this it's one of the few clubs to make a profit this season (unlike WSW that has lost $1 million or so I believe). The FFA cannot afford to let Heart become the 'Munich1860 of the HAL' in the country's most passionate and competitive sporting market but I'm also not sure if SMFC is the answer either. The facilities at Lakeside have been updated, primarily for athletics rather than football and would not provide the same level of amenity or access as AAMI but would be more affordable.

I think that the best solution is for the club to be properly capitalised and run by people with an understanding of football who value on field success and are prepared to adequately fund it. Of course the club remaining viable is crucial to this but becoming Soutn Melbourne Hellas FC is not the way to go

• Like 3

lol  

Can you please change the name of this thread to 'Proposed and REJECTED, take over bid by South Melbourne.'

That sums up the topic a little better. Lol

'Proposed and REJECTED FOR THE SECOND TIME, take over bid by South Melbourne.'

• Like 1

If Hellas really want a seat at the A-League table, they should submit a proposal to the FFA to become the 11th team. Not sit up in thier ivory tower talking about if they had a license how huge the crowds would be and how many millions of profit it would make.

I personally would like to see them in the A-League, it'd give us another Melbourne derby, another 18 places for professional footballers and dilute the Visitors numbers quite noticably.

Interesting development, it offers some advantages for membership in that South Melbourne is a club not a franchise. It does come with a lot of history but also a lot of baggage. I was never invited to the old NSL as I was never a member of the right ethnic group nor felt any joy in continuing hundreds of years of ethnic hatred through football allegiance. That may or may not have been an accurate perception but it did keep many fans away from the NSL, the HAL attendance is light years above that of the NSL in its heyday. South Melbourne has it's own ground but doesn't even attract the same regular attendance as Heart does so it isn't like there'd instantly be 15,000 people through the door.

On the other hand MHFC is operating in a difficult market. MV has been given a 5 year head start and has attracted most of the most passionate HAL fans in Melbourne, the task for both Melbourne clubs now is to attract fans beyond that 'easy' group in a market dominated by AFL, especially in the media. The WSW experience has shown that a new club can be successful but it must be adequately capitalised and be prepared to spend, Heart is neither at the moment. Despite this it's one of the few clubs to make a profit this season (unlike WSW that has lost $1 million or so I believe). The FFA cannot afford to let Heart become the 'Munich1860 of the HAL' in the country's most passionate and competitive sporting market but I'm also not sure if SMFC is the answer either. The facilities at Lakeside have been updated, primarily for athletics rather than football and would not provide the same level of amenity or access as AAMI but would be more affordable.

I think that the best solution is for the club to be properly capitalised and run by people with an understanding of football who value on field success and are prepared to adequately fund it. Of course the club remaining viable is crucial to this but becoming Soutn Melbourne Hellas FC is not the way to go

What a massive load of wank

• Like 1

If Hellas really want a seat at the A-League table, they should submit a proposal to the FFA to become the 11th team. Not sit up in thier ivory tower talking about if they had a license how huge the crowds would be and how many millions of profit it would make.

I personally would like to see them in the A-League, it'd give us another Melbourne derby, another 18 places for professional footballers and dilute the Visitors numbers quite noticably.

Mate we struggle to get 6,000 people to a home game on an average day - SMFC obtaining a licence would kill us off quite quickly.

This is a bit of a stupid question, but was just wondering if we have a partenship or had any type of partnership with a VPL club?

I think it would be a good idea to maybe explore this option that way we may be able to find an unlimited source of good young players, as well as trading buisness information with them.

It just seems like a matter of time before a VPL club tries to become part of the a-league, why not use it to our advantage?

Also, a good clear and quite timely announcement from the club to try and get ahead of this. What I'd like to know a bit more about is how many shares are South Melbourne interested in purchasing, a controlling share in the club, or an investment? 

So SBS Old boys still cheers leaders for their friends who couldn't get a seat at the HAL table. Ths back door effort from SMFC will never be accepted at FFA HQ and Gallop is now seeing that a club that can be properly setup like WSW does not need help from the old NSL. In fact it can become bigger than any NSL club could have hoped to be.

"Munn took exception with the break-even attendance figure at AAMI Park quoted as 15,000 by The World Game and asserted that under the club's new stadium deal that number would be closer to 9,000."

Great news!

still will struggle :up:

marteaux, on 01 May 2013 - 16:24, said:

MKD, on 01 May 2013 - 16:23, said:

marn11, on 01 May 2013 - 16:16, said:

MKD, on 01 May 2013 - 16:13, said:

marteaux, on 01 May 2013 - 15:54, said:

What identity?

yes.

Moronic post.

If you truly believe that, and you haven't found anything to latch onto in supporting this club over the past 3+ seasons, then what are you doing here?

We have an idenity. Everyone one of us who posts on this website, has found something tangible in this club that gives them a reason to follow it.

What we don't have is history. History comes with time, and it doesn't come by merging with another club and borrowing theirs.

Agreed - what am I doing here?

• Like 1

If you truly believe that, and you haven't found anything to latch onto in supporting this club over the past 3+ seasons, then what are you doing here?

Great post, three seasons and I have many memories/stories.

Becoming a joint club just wouldn't be the same, as you said FB we just need time.