Melbourne Football

Proposed merger with South Melbourne (rejected)

marteaux

"Munn took exception with the break-even attendance figure at AAMI Park quoted as 15,000 by The World Game and asserted that under the club's new stadium deal that number would be closer to 9,000."

Great news!

still will struggle :up:

marteaux, on 01 May 2013 - 16:24, said:

MKD, on 01 May 2013 - 16:23, said:

marn11, on 01 May 2013 - 16:16, said:

MKD, on 01 May 2013 - 16:13, said:

marteaux, on 01 May 2013 - 15:54, said:

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1149826/Takeover-bid-for-Melbourne-Heart-tabled

This deserves it's own thread.

I'll reserve my own extended opinion on this matter until I have heard others.

But I am 100% in favor of this.

Why would you be 100% in favour for this? The club would completely lose its' identity. Hellas will run the show and call the shots.

What identity?

There may be a complete lack of identity, but merging with South Melb will prevent any kind of identity ever being developed. It's just a sly way for South to enter the A-League. Would you rather have the Greek identity that comes with South?

As opposed to absolutely no identity at all, forever?

yes.

Moronic post.

If you truly believe that, and you haven't found anything to latch onto in supporting this club over the past 3+ seasons, then what are you doing here?

We have an idenity. Everyone one of us who posts on this website, has found something tangible in this club that gives them a reason to follow it.

What we don't have is history. History comes with time, and it doesn't come by merging with another club and borrowing theirs.

Agreed - what am I doing here?

tumblr_mdcrfeteBe1rnlcrx.jpg

• Like 2

When I first read the 15,000 stadium deal I thought fk straight away. At that moment I thought seriously about our existence, let me just say, thanks fk it's near 9,000. Because of this I don't believe this takeover would be beneficial. But we seriously need some Direction in the club, I hate having doubts and worries. We might need new owners I'm Simply not in the know although what I can say is that I was upset With the lack of FFA assistance, they fucking plonked us here why can't they help?

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1149826/Takeover-bid-for-Melbourne-Heart-tabled

This deserves it's own thread.

I'll reserve my own extended opinion on this matter until I have heard others.

But I am 100% in favor of this.

Since I'm Croatian lets have MH bought out by Melbourne Knights. Would you like that? I think not! If this deal happened I would never resign with MH. Great job Scott. F* 'em off once and for all. This is Melbourne HEART, not Melbourne Heartellas,

Edited by Tony999

"Melbourne Heart FC can confirm it has received an offer from a consortium representing Victorian Premier League outfit South Melbourne FC for a portion of the Club’s shares.

Melbourne Heart FC can confirm this is the second time the Club has received an offer from this consortium and can confirm that it is the second time that the Club has rejected the offer.

The Club will announce a small profit at the end of this financial year.

The Club will look forward to investing in the football department, on and off the field, and competing for a finals position in the 2013-14 Hyundai A-League season."

At least the text in green sounds somewhat promising considered it's written by the club on the club's website. It's on paper now and can be used as evidence against them!  ;)

As it stands we won't be taken over by south, which is good, If we were were we planning on playing games at lakeside?? I was there a couple of months ago for a look took some photos post-3004-136739953591_thumb.jpg post-3004-136739957882_thumb.jpg post-3004-136739961062_thumb.jpg What's the capacity? In my opinion the athletics track severely reduces viewing. Could the stands be brought in? Could there be temp seating put up behind both goals? This adds to my displeasure of south takeover.

"Yes South Melbourne takeover would be great. Having two A-League clubs in the same spot is a crazy idea. Play it at South Melbourne's ground. Change the colours to South Melbourne's, change the players to South Melbourne's and change the name from Heart to South Melbourne. Melbourne can have 4 teams and so can Sydney, but the teams must be spread out ! This is common sense. The teams need to play in small grounds where the people live ! This is proven by the Wanderers success. After the ground gets sold out regularly, then you can start a new team, or develop the stadium eg Parra stadium. That's how the EPL worked, from little clubs like Fulham. Don't just put "big" teams in the city like Sydney FC, cause I don't want to pay heaps for parking and get a parking ticket, hence I don't go ! FFA please listen, I like Sydney FC, but prefer going to Wanderers games cause of free parking and it's easy to get to."

not keen at all on this idea.

Why wouldn't you?

We are a club struggling and FFA and the Government wont help us!

I would rather merge with South Melbourne than FOLD! 

This is the best option for us and i cant believe the board rejected it......

I am over seeing a crowd of 7000 if we are lucky..... we have nothing to brag about, only one finals appearance and we lost 3-0

We have no identity by merging with South Melbourne we could easily get a crowd of 20 000+ with out a marquee!

All heart fans should unite to push this through to the board! 

South Melbourne Heart FC!

If south get in where doomed.

And how are we doomed mate? Would Victory loose supporters too then? What if Melbourne Knights get in and all the Croatian's leave? What is Preston Lions get in and all the Macedonian's leave? If we loose supporters to a new A-league Melbourne team then those supporters in my mind are not Melbourne Heart supporters. Those supporters might as well not renew their memberships next season for not being loyal whether another Melbourne team comes in or not.

I wish South Melbourne would get stuffed.  They should just accept that they are never going to be allowed into the A-League...Period!!

They will be a ticking time-bomb and the moment something goes wrong (which it will) the main stream media will say that football is back to its bad old days.

I didn't stop principally following Newcastle United in England and invest my passion into Heart to get taken over by some local suburban shit-kickers. 

• Like 1

Why wouldn't you?

I am over seeing a crowd of 7000 if we are lucky..... we have nothing to brag about, only one finals appearance and we lost 3-0

We have no identity by merging with South Melbourne we could easily get a crowd of 20 000+ with out a marquee!

LOL  :lol:  Yeah no worries mate...

Why wouldn't you?

yep-meme-generator-what-nah-d41d8c.jpg

• Like 1

Why wouldn't you?

check MKDS post please

and get your head on right, its a big dirty half eating pill lugie spat in our faces thats if this did go ahead.

• Like 1

Do not want. I am Melbourne Heart, not South Melbourne, South Melbourne Heart or any other variation. This is our club, why are there people in support of tearing down what we have worked so hard for? This would be no shortcut to success, this would be an embarrassment and will shoot down the values of our club.

Alright since there seem to be quite a few people here without a brain, I'll spell it out for you.

1. You can't have an ethnic-based team in the A-League when the very league was founded on eradicating ethnic rivalry. South are trying to push their way into the league through any means, but if the league is to maintain any credibility these kind of actions need to be stamped out. If South are allowed to enter the league, then why should the likes of Melb Knights, etc be excluded? Might as well bring back the NSL if we are going to go down this path.

2. I'm not sure some of you here have ever attended VPL or state league matches. Do you really want thousands of Greeks rocking up and slowly pushing out the Melbourne Heart side of supporters? The club will be dominated by South Melbourne, so if you're that keen on supporting South Melbourne why haven't half you peanuts considered actually following the team? Go get baptised in a Greek church, go to Greek school and do yourself a few favours and buy a few Greek flags, because that is the team you'll be following.

Too many idiots here are getting swept up in the WSW hype and wanting sold out Melbourne Heart matches asap, even if it's at the expense of everything the club has worked for thus far. Take a step back for a second and look at how this may affect the club in the long-term. Guaranteed, you'll go to a few games pumped that a big crowd has turned out, and before you know it you'll be wondering why you have no connection to the club.

I thought I was a half-arsed heart supporter (and I probably am), but people here that are frothing at the mouth at the prospect of merging with South Melbourne sicken me. Ando and a few others were spot on in their assessment of the situation.

You are right with the WSW hype. Clive Palmer or any flog could have started a team there and it would have been successful due to the base already out there. That area has been begging for a team for years. A different situation to us and Melbourne.

Besides, their bid for the second Melbourne team was Southern Cross F.C. I know our name took a while getting used to but fuck me. Southern Cross FC? :droy:

Edited by Dylan

Fucking hell have some of you got no shame????? Some of you need to get a hobbie or have a wank.

Jesus Christ some of the shit/ threads started on this form during the off-season has been ridiculous pull your head in guys fuck

Oh well. When I posted something about this in "The worry room", people seemed to think it was a crazy notion. Perhaps my work mate had his facts in order :(.

Where there's smoke there's fire. In this case it came from the spit roast.

I'm glad this proposal has been rejected and Heart can now get on with building our club up to become a power house in Australian football. Then as has been shown when we have been winning consistantly, and when  the likes of ADP visited, the crowds will come.

I just read this report on 442 which had this comment near the end "While Heart missed finals and struggled to attract crowds to their home matches at AAMI Park, club officials - including chairman Peter Sidwell - had a clear theme of solidarity at the end-of-season awards last Wednesday"

http://au.fourfourtwo.com/news/270285,heart-dismiss-south-melbourne-bid.aspx

This idea of solidarity is what is needed and it needs to be communicated to our supporters and to be promoted to the wider public. Obviously South Melbourne saw Melbourne Heart as a viable target, which is what happens when you look weak.

Scott Munn's comments in the Hearald Sun article shows the clubs intentions but makes it clear we need greater financial backing.

"We've been approached this year a couple of times, from the Middle East and a Eurpopean consortium.

"Those conversations were quite open and transparent but we made it very clear that there were some non-negotiables and one of them is that the founding owners always want to retain control.

"We'd love to invest more in areas such as marketing, advertising and most importantly the footy department.

"We can sustain a club, we can post a small profit and that puts us in an enviable position for investors, knowing they won't have to reach into their pocket each year."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/melbourne-heart-knock-back-takeover-bid-from-south-melbourne/story-fndmchp2-1226633331242

I am hoping that this season will reverse last seasons slide and be the season that defines the future direction of our club.

Compare the Davutovic article and the one in the SBS site.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/melbourne-heart-knock-back-takeover-bid-from-south-melbourne/story-fndmchp2-1226633331242

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1149836/Melbourne-Heart-rejects-South-Melbourne-offer

The SBS article seems like nothing more than an advertisement for SMFC - especially towards the end. The NSL Old Boys network hard at work at SBS.

These recent events tell us nothing about Heart and a lot about South Melbourne. South Melbourne desperately wants to get into the A-League. The problem for them is the FFA really really doesn't want them in the league. That is why South Melbourne first tried to obtain a stake in the Central Coast Mariners a few weeks ago, and why they recently sent Heart a bid that was rejected outright. They want to circumvent the FFA. But its all fallen to pieces for them.

So there is really nothing to these events. All there is to be learned is that South Melbourne want some thing that they will never obtain, A-League participation (maybe--maybe-- in a few decades, but certainly not sooner. Australia will host the World Cup before South Melbourne plays in the A-League). Also, they are desperately trying to obtain a stake in an A-League club now because they realise that A-League clubs are rapidly consolidating, and that the door will soon completely shut, for the foreseeable future, with regards to their A-League participation.

These events have next to nothing to do with Heart, actually. 

These recent events tell us nothing about Heart and a lot about South Melbourne.

Actually. It tells us a lot about Heart. It tells us they are not desperate and they wont sell us out. Obviously the club would like more funds but they are not willing to just give up control to outsiders for cash.

• Like 3

Compare the Davutovic article and the one in the SBS site.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1149836/Melbourne-Heart-rejects-South-Melbourne-offer

The SBS article seems like nothing more than an advertisement for SMFC - especially towards the end. The NSL Old Boys network hard at work at SBS.

and this from the other article. 

'The Melbourne Heart board has called a meeting for Wednesday to consider the sale of the club in a deal believed to be in the region of $3.5 million.

Heart's stadium deal at AAMI Park has expired and under any new arrangement the club will have to attract a home crowd of 15,000 to break even, which is well above Hearts average home gate last season of 8,560.

Heart club directors will be asked to either recapitalise the club's finances to meet future shortfalls or consider the South Melbourne takeover offer.

Sources close to Heart have said the majority of directors are not willing to keep funding the shortfalls after both the Victorian Government and Football Federation Australia (FFA) knocked back their request for funding assistance.'

:droy:

Interesting development, it offers some advantages for membership in that South Melbourne is a club not a franchise. It does come with a lot of history but also a lot of baggage. I was never invited to the old NSL as I was never a member of the right ethnic group nor felt any joy in continuing hundreds of years of ethnic hatred through football allegiance. That may or may not have been an accurate perception but it did keep many fans away from the NSL, the HAL attendance is light years above that of the NSL in its heyday. South Melbourne has it's own ground but doesn't even attract the same regular attendance as Heart does so it isn't like there'd instantly be 15,000 people through the door.

On the other hand MHFC is operating in a difficult market. MV has been given a 5 year head start and has attracted most of the most passionate HAL fans in Melbourne, the task for both Melbourne clubs now is to attract fans beyond that 'easy' group in a market dominated by AFL, especially in the media. The WSW experience has shown that a new club can be successful but it must be adequately capitalised and be prepared to spend, Heart is neither at the moment. Despite this it's one of the few clubs to make a profit this season (unlike WSW that has lost $1 million or so I believe). The FFA cannot afford to let Heart become the 'Munich1860 of the HAL' in the country's most passionate and competitive sporting market but I'm also not sure if SMFC is the answer either. The facilities at Lakeside have been updated, primarily for athletics rather than football and would not provide the same level of amenity or access as AAMI but would be more affordable.

I think that the best solution is for the club to be properly capitalised and run by people with an understanding of football who value on field success and are prepared to adequately fund it. Of course the club remaining viable is crucial to this but becoming Soutn Melbourne Hellas FC is not the way to go

What a massive load of wank

Things aren't always black and white, I don't support it but if the Board continue with the present strategy (and they said that they won't) then things couldn't get much worse. SMFC bring some potential positives but a lot more negatives and not enough money for it to be taken seriously. It's also unlikely that FFA would approve.

The point that all the 'easy fans' are now committed to either club is important though, neither us nor MV will find growth as easy as it was in the first few seasons, it will only grow through two strong Melbourne teams that produce good football and a fierce rivalry. It's not in our interests, nor MVFC nor FFA for Heart to ever have another season like the last one. This was really the one concerning issue for FFA from the last season as strong Melbourne and Sydney markets are the bedrock for HAL success and growth.

Maybe a few new points in this article:

Heart FC turn down South Melbourne offer   GUY HAND

Last updated 01:17 02/05/2013

Melbourne Heart have rejected a takeover offer from former NSL heavyweights South Melbourne, with the current owners not prepared to sell a controlling share of the A-League club.

Heart chief executive Scott Munn confirmed South Melbourne had contacted the club about acquiring a portion of shares - the second time it had done so.

But the Heart said no - and are believed to have done so in record time.

It is understood the Heart's current owners want to retain control and direction of the club they have built.

Munn says the Heart - who are on track to turn a small profit this year and may be the only A-League club to do so - are open to outside investment.

But they don't want to disrupt an off-field structure which they believe is working well.

"Our owners have been clear from the start - they're in this to have a club for the future, a club that develops young players, and to have a club that is not dominated by one particular group of owners," Munn told AAP.

"We're the only A-League club this year to break even.

"The owners don't have to put in any more money.

"Clearly we want to challenge for titles. To do that, we need to spend money on our football department, and we'd love some investment.

"But we're not going to make any rash decisions around the structure of the club which would jeopardise it in any way for a short-term grab for success."

Munn admitted there had been other offers of investment during the season - one from the Middle East and one from Europe.

The Heart are also locked into a deal to play at AAMI Park for the next three years - shooting down any suggestion they will have to decamp to another stadium to house average crowds of around 7,000.

South Melbourne's boutique Lakeside Stadium, with a 15,000 capacity, would appear a decent fit.

But Munn confirmed to AAP the Heart last season renegotiated a new three-year deal with AAMI Park.

The Heart also remain in negotiations with various tiers of government to extend their training base at Bundoora in Melbourne's north.

South Melbourne had also expressed interest in becoming involved in the Central Coast Mariners' ownership when the A-League champions were undergoing cash flow problems in March.

But the Mariners eventually offloaded a controlling interest to existing director Mike Charlesworth.

The Greek-backed club, who now play in the Victorian Premier League, had been a powerhouse in the old NSL winning four championships.

-AAP

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/football/8621826/Heart-FC-turn-down-South-Melbourne-offer

• Like 1

So its official that Heart have AAMI secured for the next three seasons (indeed, the deal was negotiated last season). Also, Munn has said that the club needs an average attendance of just 9,000 to break even.

Some more facts that massively contradict The World Game's reporting.

Don't know about that.  would buy a m/ship to struggling clubs in another state.  I'll support the sport, but not buy a membership to local sides.

ridiculous idea bringing an ethnic club into the league.  the floodgates open then MArconi, United, Knights will be knocking on the door buying strugling clubs.  The FFA aren't stupid, they make strategic decisions, they get it wrong sometimes, but this option isn't worth a thought.  Such a move, will undo much of the good work done to get to this point in the Aleague... 

its never going to happen.  i and my small army of friends who are heart family members, would get up and walk away. I bet there will be many other disgruntled former VPL lovers or even unconnected supporters who will strongly agree with my views.

In addition, whats the average crowds to SM games, 2-3K?, how does that add to 20K?  The supporters of the great NSL days are gone, retired or passed on, they don't draw those types of crowds ever and will not come out of the woodwork.