Melbourne Football

Massimo Murdocca

Deluka

well seeing as the players go back to pre-season in june, Aloisi and Foxe would surely be heading back to Australia in the next week or so (iirc they are in england which i think is their last stop before heading home). So if that's the case then they should have a couple of euro players signed and hopefully announced in around 10 days time

• 6 months later...
Home is where the Heart is for Murdocca

Josh Spasaro   7th Dec 2013

MASSIMO Murdocca has no regrets about moving to cellar dweller Melbourne Heart from top-of-the-table Brisbane Roar.

Just as importantly, he feels like he's in the best shape of his career.

Despite the Heart's struggles this season - they are yet to win a game - Murdocca was full of positives about the move back to his home town.

"I feel like I'm in the best shape of my career. I'm at the same level of fitness as the year before I broke my leg in 2009," he told APN.

"I'm playing with no pain now, and I'm really enjoying my leadership role at the Heart.

"At the Roar, we had leaders all over the park, but I've got more responsibility down here."

And in more good news for Heart fans crying out for that elusive first victory, Murdocca said he was confident it would come in tonight's away clash against second-placed Western Sydney. The Heart lost to the Wanderers 1-0 in round five.

"We played quite well that game, so it was disappointing to let in a goal. We need to come out hard in the first 10 minutes, and I'm confident we can do that after our second half last week," he said.

The midfielder, who made his debut as a 15-year-old in the old NSL competition for Carlton in 1999, has been around professional football circles for 14 years.

He had one more season on his contract at the Roar, but said he hoped playing in Melbourne would help take his game to another level.

Murdocca said he wasn't surprised at fellow midfielder Andrea Migliorini's two glorious strikes against Adelaide United last Sunday, which saw the Heart come back from a 2-0 half-time deficit and draw the match 3-all.

"From the first game of our pre-season he looked like a great player and I was actually surprised it took him as long as it did to play a game like that," said Murdocca, who set up both of Migliorini's goals.

Murdocca also said under-fire Heart coach John Aloisi has handled some widespread criticism, much of it from his own fans, with class.

"He's been a bit like Ange Postecoglou, in the way that he hasn't swayed from his beliefs and tactics," he said.

http://www.news-mail.com.au/news/home-is-where-the-heart-is-for-murdocca/2108062/

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 1

So Mass was surrounded by leaders all over the park at Brisbane. We apparently signed a lot of players who are leaders and now Mass is saying he has greater responsibility at Heart. Doesn't add up. Heart = Spin. Enough is enough. Back to our foundation values. Now.

We can look forward to a total of 23 player interviews all expressing their support for JA.

Until he is fired, and then we'll hear the truth.

On the plus side, we seem to be getting a lot more interviews published this season. What do they say about all publicity being good?

• 10 months later...

I know this is very out there but i've mentioned it before to a couple of people and they can see my point of view.

We have no LB worth shit atm besides MAYBE Germano (who isnt really a LB and is always bloody injured).

When Koren comes back into the side, the first person that looks to probably get dropped off the starting 11 will probably be Mass which would be a shame cause of his bloody work rate.

Instead of having this bloke sitting on the bench  wasted, why not try him at LB and see how he goes. I know he isnt left footed, but hhe bloke is a bulldog that chases everything in the middle for 90 minutes so imagine him a LB.

IMO would be a hell of a lot better than any other player in our squad at LB.

• Like 2

I know this is very out there but i've mentioned it before to a couple of people and they can see my point of view.

We have no LB worth shit atm besides MAYBE Germano (who isnt really a LB and is always bloody injured).

When Koren comes back into the side, the first person that looks to probably get dropped off the starting 11 will probably be Mass which would be a shame cause of his bloody work rate.

Instead of having this bloke sitting on the bench  wasted, why not try him at LB and see how he goes. I know he isnt left footed, but hhe bloke is a bulldog that chases everything in the middle for 90 minutes so imagine him a LB.

Did you post this in the right Thread?

We are talking about Massimo here?

Instead of having this bloke sitting on the bench wasted, why not try him at LB and see how he goes. I know he isnt left footed, but hhe bloke is a bulldog that chases everything in the middle for 90 minutes so imagine him a LB.

Exactly what I've been saying, not ideal but surely he can't be any worse than the current options and his endeavor can't be disputed.

• Like 1

Did you post this in the right Thread?

We are talking about Massimo here?

Yep.

You tell me why he's not a better option them Ramsey, Garuccio or Germano.

Instead of having this bloke sitting on the bench wasted, why not try him at LB and see how he goes. I know he isnt left footed, but hhe bloke is a bulldog that chases everything in the middle for 90 minutes so imagine him a LB.

Exactly what I've been saying, not ideal but surely he can't be any worse than the current options and his endeavor can't be disputed.

It just seems like a logical choice in my head.

Havent been able to shake off the idea for a few weeks now.

I just dont think he should be wasted on the bench. He's the only bloke that doesnt stop for 90 minutes

It just seems like a logical choice in my head.

Havent been able to shake off the idea for a few weeks now.

I just dont think he should be wasted on the bench. He's the only bloke that doesnt stop for 90 minutes

Ok to play at left back let's look at why this would be a crazy idea. A left back needs to cover the whole wing area and needs to be fast enough to cover any attacking player playing on that wing who are usually very quick players. Murdocca doesn't stop running, but he is short and from point to point is not fast. Just imagine mabil v murdocca in a straight line race. Mabil would probably win by 3-4 metres at least over 50m.

Defensively I think murdocca is as capable as he is playing creatively which is almost negligible. Also not forgetting the fact that he has never played fullback in his life! And for good reason and now we want to play yet another player out of position not use to playing on the wing? Also defensively can you imagine him trying to make a clearance with his left foot? Good help us.

Another factor when playing on the wing is space. You have a lot less of it. In the centre murdocca has much more space to work when he has the ball and can fuck up his touches a bit and still keep possession. On the wing the players first two touches are crucial. After watching him play all this time would you really trust him on his first two touches?

Now let's say he's managed to get forward without losing the ball and he's about to cross the ball in. Can you imagine murcdocca crossing the ball in with his non preferred foot? I don't think he'd be capable of crossing with his right foot let alone his left.

So no, no, no, no and no. No chance sorry no way.

Too small, Too Slow, and Too rubbish of a player.

Can't header, Cant cross, Cant shoot.

This guys only knows how to pass the ball backwards.  Who will he pass it to? our GK?

How this guy gets picked each week is beyond belief.

He must be on minimum wage.

• Like 3

I just don't get this obsession we have in trying to convert everyone into something they're not. We've already done our best to wreck any career Ramsay had, and if we're not careful we'll do the same for Garuccio. We play Villa on the wing instead of central striker, Duff on the right instead of on the left, and Dugandzic in the middle where he just doesn't have the physique to be effective.

No wonder we're a rabble.

Why make something difficult when there is an easier course of action? I don't believe that we cannot find an adequate LB somewhere in the world.

• Like 1

I agree JW. All of your points are correct. Playing numerous blokes out of position hasn't done us much good. I can't help but think that Villa wanted to play on the wing, though I could be wrong. Perhaps JVS thought there'd be no service to him if played as a lone striker and that with two quality wingers it wouldn't even matter who played up front. Silly but I don't think that logic is beyond the bounds of possibility with JVS.  

On to Murdocca. I've long been a critic of his. He is a passenger. Work rate is important, but it cannot be the only asset a player has. Sooner or later that player will be found out. There have been many times this season where our attack has broken down due to him playing a backward/sideway pass. On top of that, he lacks the vision and creativity necessary for any midfielder who will be playmaking beyond the half-way line. 

Fullback might be the easiest position to play, but that certainly doesn't mean every player can slot into it.

He is too slow. Fullbacks have a tendency to be isolated, and his lack of speed will exacerbate this problem.

His tackling is woeful. 

His propensity towards defensive play will no doubt hinder any potential opportunities to attack.

He doesn't have a left foot.

His first touch and general ball control isn't up to standard.

Having never played as fullback (IIRC), he will be slow to reach an acceptable level, especially as a 30-year-old who has only ever played in the midfield.

Don't see him being on the bench as a waste, rather see it as an opportunity for a younger player to get some time on the park. 

• Like 1

the only thing i'll say in his defense is that Murdocca was one of the most consistent blokes in the Brisbane lineup when they went through that 36 game unbeaten run and, for the most part, was consistently in the first 11 during the three years before he came to us (most of which was under Postecoglou).  the fact Postecoglou saw something throughout that time when Brisbane were also unearthing plenty of quality youngsters says to me that Murdocca cant be that bad.  afterall, it's not like when Postecoglou went to the visitors with a solid reputation.  Postecoglou had to prove himself to people in Brisbane.

the greater issue here is that most of the club's players have been shit for the last season and a half.  given where we've been, most players have had flaws come out - something i suspect comes from the group as a whole not looking up to it.  

ultimately, a player can only do so much - if he doesnt get the support around him, what he does do well wont necessarily surface because often the player next to him wont be in sync.

just look at Villa; wouldnt really say that he dominated the league despite being heads and shoulders the best player in the league.

Edited by mattyh001
  • Like 1

I just don't get this obsession we have in trying to convert everyone into something they're not. We've already done our best to wreck any career Ramsay had, and if we're not careful we'll do the same for Garuccio. We play Villa on the wing instead of central striker, Duff on the right instead of on the left, and Dugandzic in the middle where he just doesn't have the physique to be effective.

Why make something difficult when there is an easier course of action? I don't believe that we cannot find an adequate LB somewhere in the world.

Because thats the way the club operates sadly.

I'd much prefer an actual LB, but the club clearly dont so i thought i'd have a go myself :) 

Just sign the best LB across all the state leagues ... bang!  will be x10 better than Ramsay and surely would come in on a minimum wage ...

But its not Ramsays fault he is played out of position.

When at the Reds he was a class LW.  I was thrilled when he first signed with us. Now i feel JVS has played him out of the a-league.

• Like 1

Just remembering we let Walker, Mitchinson, Vrankovic and Gerherdt go...

I still dont understand why Walker was released. He played a great game in a derby last season.  

Vrankovic had great potential as a CB. Ok he was smaller but much better than our current crop. And younger too.  Poor Vrankovic chose us over West Syd.  I bet he regretted that. 

Gerherdt had to go to allow us to get Duff. 

Mitchinson was used sparingly, so am unable to form a good opinion on him.

What about Archibald from his game in Sydney?

Our Youth league captain that stands about 2.5m tall.  He looks like Babalj, and looks like a no nonsence defender.  He even likes giving goal scorers a kiss (poor villa).  One good game and then see you later?????

Just sign the best LB across all the state leagues ... bang!  will be x10 better than Ramsay and surely would come in on a minimum wage ...

But its not Ramsays fault he is played out of position.

When at the Reds he was a class LW.  I was thrilled when he first signed with us. Now i feel JVS has played him out of the a-league.

he may have been, but Adelaide let him go , and he didn't set the world on fire as a left winger last season

Yes I know he had JA as a manager .....

I'm pretty sure Mass played a little bit at Right Back for the Roar.

Harrison above said;

He is too slow. Fullbacks have a tendency to be isolated, and his lack of speed will exacerbate this problem.

His tackling is woeful. 

His propensity towards defensive play will no doubt hinder any potential opportunities to attack.

Having never played as fullback (IIRC), he will be slow to reach an acceptable level, especially as a 30-year-old who has only ever played in the midfield

Now, I don't rate Mass as a midfielder very much at all.. BUT.

H isn't slow at all- pretty sharp really. He is little, but his tackling  decent and anticipation is very good.

He would still be waaaaaaaay better on the ball then Hoofy Hoffman or Ramsey.

I don;t agree too much with square pegs in round holes, but if it's Mass vs Hoffman or Ramsey for RB/LB-i'd go Mass.

• Like 1

Hang on if Duff is a LW and Dugandzic is a RW then why not play Duff on the LW and Dugandzic in the RW. Then with Duff on the LW he can drop back a bit and help out the makeshift LB.

Hang on if Duff is a LW and Dugandzic is a RW then why not play Duff on the LW and Dugandzic in the RW. Then with Duff on the LW he can drop back a bit and help out the makeshift LB.

Because JVS thinks Duff is Robben and Dugandzic is Frank Frankenstein, expecting them to cut inside and strike on goal with their preferred foot or play killer balls to the number 9.  This is not true. 

I'm pretty sure Mass played a little bit at Right Back for the Roar.

Harrison above said;

His tackling is woeful. 

Having never played as fullback (IIRC), he will be slow to reach an acceptable level, especially as a 30-year-old who has only ever played in the midfield

Now, I don't rate Mass as a midfielder very much at all.. BUT.

H isn't slow at all- pretty sharp really. He is little, but his tackling  decent and anticipation is very good.

He would still be waaaaaaaay better on the ball then Hoofy Hoffman or Ramsey.

I don;t agree too much with square pegs in round holes, but if it's Mass vs Hoffman or Ramsey for RB/LB-i'd go Mass.

I'm not sure what to say really. You put mass in ramsey spot at left back he would be worse than Ramsey. Mass better than Hoffman? Please.

TBH jw that was a good decision on all grounds i think.

• Gerhardt was a visa player who was on the bench.  Total waste.
  • Vrankovic was a shadow of his old self last year.  I notice no other A League club has picked him up either - says it all.
  • Walker also failed to inspire last year.  Its all very well to blame Ronald McDonald, but he has to take ownership of his own career.
  • Mitchinson also failed to inspire (in the one youth game I saw him); again he can't just blame the clown

Archibald took Vrankovic's spot.  Good decision, he was better than him last year for starters.

Chapman took Gerhardt's spot.  Seemingly a good decision, but came unstuck when Chappy went down "crook".  I don't think this illness struck until after he signed?

So that's the good bit, now the BIG problems:

Walker seemingly not replaced - strange decision, pray Hoff stays fit.

But the doozy - we lost our No 1 left back, released our No 2 and then didn't replace EITHER.

The problem is not releasing players that aren't up to it, it comes when you don't adequately replace them.

Edited by Shahanga
  • Like 4

Just sign the best LB across all the state leagues ... bang! will be x10 better than Ramsay and surely would come in on a minimum wage ...

• Gerhardt was a visa player who was on the bench. Total waste.
  • Vrankovic was a shadow of his old self last year. I notice no other A League club has picked him up either - says it all.
  • Walker also failed to inspire last year. Its all very well to blame Ronald McDonald, but he has to take ownership of his own career.
  • Mitchinson also failed to inspire (in the one youth game I saw him); again he can't just blame the clown
Archibald took Vrankovic's spot. Good decision, he was better than him last year for starters.

Chapman took Gerhardt's spot. Seemingly a good decision, but came unstuck when Chappy went down "crook". I don't think this illness struck until after he signed?

But the doozy - we lost our No 1 left back, released our No 2 and then didn't replace EITHER.

The problem is not releasing players that aren't up to it, it comes when you don't adequately replace them.

Quality, quality post.

• Gerhardt was a visa player who was on the bench.  Total waste.
  • Vrankovic was a shadow of his old self last year.  I notice no other A League club has picked him up either - says it all.
  • Walker also failed to inspire last year.  Its all very well to blame Ronald McDonald, but he has to take ownership of his own career.

Archibald took Vrankovic's spot.  Good decision, he was better than him last year for starters.

Chapman took Gerhardt's spot.  Seemingly a good decision, but came unstuck when Chappy went down "crook".  I don't think this illness struck until after he signed?

My point was really that for RB and LB we released our second choices and have not replaced them. Which I think you agree is poor management. For the record, I thought more highly of Mitchinson that you did. I doubt that he would have been on anything but the minimum wage, and since ppl have used that argument for the retention of Hoffman and Velaphi IMO it's more than valid for Mitchinson as well.

All personal opinion I guess.

• Like 1

Just sign the best LB across all the state leagues ... bang! will be x10 better than Ramsay and surely would come in on a minimum wage ...

• Gerhardt was a visa player who was on the bench. Total waste.
  • Vrankovic was a shadow of his old self last year. I notice no other A League club has picked him up either - says it all.
  • Walker also failed to inspire last year. Its all very well to blame Ronald McDonald, but he has to take ownership of his own career.
Archibald took Vrankovic's spot. Good decision, he was better than him last year for starters.

Chapman took Gerhardt's spot. Seemingly a good decision, but came unstuck when Chappy went down "crook". I don't think this illness struck until after he signed?

My point was really that for RB and LB we released our second choices and have not replaced them. Which I think you agree is poor management. For the record, I thought more highly of Mitchinson that you did. I doubt that he would have been on anything but the minimum wage, and since ppl have used that argument for the retention of Hoffman and Velaphi IMO it's more than valid for Mitchinson as well.

All personal opinion I guess.

It's an interesting point, but I guess the club isn't able to keep players on the list until an 'improvement' is signed either.

As in the club needs to cut players at the end of a season to sign new ones, and if the right replacement doesn't come along it can leave you in the lurch.

So, if the club cut mitchinson for example in order to sign a new lb that did cut the mustard, but then couldn't find the player it was after with the salary cap available then it has a deficiency.

Does it go back out and resign mitchinson? Maybe, but I guess it does so at the risk of being publically ridiculed for resigning a player that wasn't good enough to start with.

I have no doubt the club was searching high and low for a lb, but couldn't find one that was good enough for a cheap enough price, especially once paartalu was signed under the cap.

I think that signing in particular May have thrown the plans out the window a little as it was probably unexpected given the lateness of it.