Melbourne Football

Potential A-league signings

heart_fan10

Chris Payne has scored 9 goals in 12 games for the central coast mariners academy and that is in the NSWPL would be a good option as a back up striker. Also on an unrelated note unfair how the FFA granted the central coast mariners a spot in the NSWPL and we weren't even aloud a spot in league2 FFV league ffs.   

Payne is one of those guys who is good at State League level, but has struggled at A-League level. And we already have Hoffman who fills that role in our squad.

It was the FFV that scrapped our inclusion in the State League after a number of clubs kicked up a stink.

Looks like he's been replaced by former Brisbane Roar CB Mohamed Adnan at Al Arabi, pretty much says how far he's fallen from being the future savior of the Socceroo's defence.

Another prime example of why young Aussie players shouldn't go chasing the $$$ in the Middle East.

But I agree with heart_fan10, he'd be great in our defence with Wielaert and Gerhardt going into a CDM role. Spiranovic would still be a walk-up starter for any A-League club I would have thought, maybe other than WSW.

Also on an unrelated note unfair how the FFA granted the central coast mariners a spot in the NSWPL and we weren't even aloud a spot in league2 FFV league ffs.   

The fact the NSWPL is semi-pro while the FFV is amateur may have affected it.

The FFV rolls out the APL next season, you basically count on MHFC will be involving at the top state level next FFV season.

Edited by cadete

Goalkeeping is in the blood, and Alastair Bray is hopeful of continuing his career at Melbourne Heart before considering a move abroad

Promising goalkeeper Alastair Bray says he is happy to spurn opportunities overseas as he targets a spot as Melbourne Heart's No.2 for next season.

Bray, who is now impressing between the posts for Victorian Premier League outfit Bentleigh Greens, told Goal Australia he has had several chances to go on trial in England and in Asia, with Premier League club Aston Villa and lower-league outfits Wolves, Leicester and Bristol City all showing an interest.

The 20-year-old's grandfather Roy MacLaren served as Villa's assistant manager in the 1980s, while his uncle Bruce MacLaren had a brief stint as a goalkeeper with the 1982 European champions.

However, Bray has made it clear that his main priority is to secure a contract with Heart ahead of the 2013-2014 campaign.  Andrew Redmayne is the club's established No.1 after the retirement of Clint Bolton, with Heart football operations manager John Didulica telling Goal Australia on Monday the search for a back-up was ongoing and Bray was under consideration.

"I'm aware there have been opportunities in England and Japan, but at the moment, my aim is to establish myself in the A-League with Melbourne Heart," the Australia youth international said.

"It is good to be offered with options overseas, but I really want to progress with my career in Australia first."

Bray first made inroads at Heart when he featured in the National Youth League in the 2011-12 season, and trained regularly with Redmayne and Bolton last campaign.

"It was a great experience to learn under the two goalkeepers and I really picked up a lot of new things from them," he said.

"It was good exposure for me to train in the first-team environment and under the coaching staff at Heart."

Heart's National Youth League player of the year, Bray was particularly impressed by the coaching staff's dedication and patience with their talented crop of youngsters.

"During training, coach John Aloisi will pull us aside and explain to us on what we need to do," Bray said.

"The coaches there are really thorough and I had a good relationship with them."

"Heart have a very good youth team and they have already promoted two youth players [Jeremy Walker and Sam Mitchinson] into the senior team."

"I'm just taking things slow for now and concentrating on Bentleigh Greens."

After his youth contract expired at Heart, Bray promptly joined the Greens in his bid to continue his fledgling football career.

The lanky custodian made an immediate impact, ousting veteran Scottish goalkeeper Stuart Webster from of the starting line-up.

"Obviously, Stuart Webster is well-regarded as one of the best goalkeepers in the VPL, but I have kept my place so far and I aim to keep playing well," Bray said.

"The aim over the next couple of years is to establish myself in the A-League and hopefully with Melbourne Heart.

"The ultimate would be to play overseas in Europe but for now, I'm more than happy to stay and improve on my game in Australia."

http://www.goal.com/en-au/news/4019/transfer-zone/2013/06/25/4072440/melbourne-heart-hopes-in-alistair-brays-new-world

I'm gonna be disappointed with anyone but Bray tbh.

Realistically though....what other quality australian keepers are available? Really hope this happens

Dean Bouzanis for one, and the other released Aussie keeper at Oldham (Liam Jacob) might be worth a look.

Edited by mattyh001
  • Like 1

A 20 year old GK that's attracting interest from respectable English clubs, AND would be happy to be a no 2 GK at Heart (at least, in his words, for the "next couple of years")?

Sign him up.

With Redmayne as our no 1 GK, it's unlikely that Bray would play more than a couple of games next season, if even that, and I reckon Bray would do well if he was required to play just a couple of games in the A-League. Seems like an ideal no 2 GK to me.

• Like 1

Sometimes you wonder what we're waiting for, don't you? Our NYL Player of the Year for last season (must admit I hadn't registered that), by all accounts pulled off some spectacular saves, good enough to be a No. 2 keeper, and wants to play for Heart.

Why ask for more?

• Like 2

I'm still not completely confident in Redmayne as a no.1, so a good no.2 could be pretty vital.

I actually agree. When Redders had time to see a shot particually from outside the box he made some spectacular saves.

But when Redmayne was forced to make a reflex save he often struggled. Also let's be honest he never even came close to saving a penalty. Often going to early.

I'm still not completely confident in Redmayne as a no.1, so a good no.2 could be pretty vital.

I actually agree. When Redders had time to see a shot particually from outside the box he made some spectacular saves.

But when Redmayne was forced to make a reflex save he often struggled. Also let's be honest he never even came close to saving a penalty. Often going to early.

Redmayne made more saves then Bolton did in roughly the same amount of games.

• Like 1

I reckon Bolton was a better shot stopper but his positioning was crazy sometimes.

Why do people keep posting victory transfers in this thread? I do not give a shit who they sign, we just need to look after our business fuck everyone else

Don't think it's people posting victory transfers, but rather players that have been discussed in this thread as players we should be targeting that end up being on Victorys radar (karagounis/spiranovic)

• Like 1

Why do people keep posting victory transfers in this thread? I do not give a shit who they sign, we just need to look after our business fuck everyone else

Don't think it's people posting victory transfers, but rather players that have been discussed in this thread as players we should be targeting that end up being on Victorys radar (karagounis/spiranovic)

probably because the administration of our club don't actually want them. Which is fair enough. I'm happy to accept that they may be in a slightly better position to judge this than we are. I take it they figure we have enough cover for the central defensive role, or they want a cheaper player in that role.

Agree Redders needs to work on penalties.

Which brings me to another question - have we got a goalkeeping coach at the moment?

I reckon Bolton was a better shot stopper but his positioning was crazy sometimes.

Bolton was guilty of committing some serious errors.

whilst Redmayne has made errors he is still young and already has many positives

for one he generally holds the ball when he makes a save, opposed to Bolton punching it back out. Which leads to alot less pressure on our defence

Redmayne also knows how to distribute the ball,though I admit its benefit to the team is hindered alot by our defences woeful positioning when in possession and its inability to play the ball out.

• Like 3