Melbourne Football

Potential A-league signings

heart_fan10

not enough room in the roster anymore for just "squad players"

Agreed. The further signings really need to be "first choices" for the A-League team. So quality and balance are essential.

TBH, we've still got too many "squad" players on the books, and I can see them being released at the end of the coming season.

below is a list of all EPL players released this close season - before there are any questions all the first names on the right, last names on the left:

http://www.premierleague.com/content/dam/premierleague/site-content/News/publications/other/Premier-League-released-player-list-2012-13.pdf

Some very very interesting names there.

Some were releases at the end of the contract to another club / have already gone to another club (ie Kolo Toure, Wayne Bridge) whilst others have retired (ie Jamie Carragher, Steve Harper).

Guys like Jermaine Pennant, Ian Harte, Rob Hurse, Tal Ben Haim, Roque Santa Cruz and Yossi Benayoun would be good to see in a Heart top (although some might be a little past it and others a little unrealistic - ie Santa Cruz and Benayoun).

No one from Tottenham listed although I know William Gallas has left on a free.

Edit: Add Corey Gameiro to that interesting list - didn't notice he was on the Fulham list.  Surely he will be a number one target of a few A League teams.

Edited by mattyh001

Gamiero would be great, so would a lot of other players but our biggest deficiency is our backs we need potentially 2 CBs and 1 LB. We should be going for Ogenovski, Madaschi, Hamill - players that will make our back solid. IMO Gerhardt is being under utilized as a Center Back and Ramsay will not work. If we are going to sign any Attacking players it should be some of the younger Phoenix players like Fenton!

• Like 1

I'd prefer to see Kewell as our creative midfielder, he's got the excellent technique, can beat a man, pick a pass and has an eye for goal. Pretty much every attribute that a creative midfielder needs, Kewell has. Stick a hard working striker up front and Kewell will absolutely blitz A-League defences.

I'd imagine that's what he's been signed for, unless JA plans to use him as our striker, which would be strange if we were looking at Grant Holt whilst we had Harry virtually signed up.

I'd imagine that's what he's been signed for, unless JA plans to use him as our striker, which would be strange if we were looking at Grant Holt whilst we had Harry virtually signed up.

This is a good point. Harry will most likely be our creative midfielder/attacking midfielder, or perhaps our left winger, which I think are his two best positions. Harry's flexibility will allow us to play or bench Williams and Kalmar when they are hot or cold.

If we re-signed Garcia as well that would give us lots of possibilities in midfield. He would also give us some depth in the DM position (with 2 DM positions likely to split between Garcia, Murdocca and Germano). As I'm tipping us to re-sign Garcia, I like our next 2 signings to be a striker good enough to start and a central defender good enough to start.

This is a good point. Harry will most likely be our creative midfielder/attacking midfielder, or perhaps our left winger, which I think are his two best positions. Harry's flexibility will allow us to play or bench Williams and Kalmar when they are hot or cold.

If we re-signed Garcia as well that would give us lots of possibilities in midfield. He would also give us some depth in the DM position (with 2 DM positions likely to split between Garcia, Murdocca and Germano). As I'm tipping us to re-sign Garcia, I like our next 2 signings to be a striker good enough to start and a central defender good enough to start.

Sounds right, HK, at his age, has probably lost too much pace to play on the wing. Would be better suited in the middle where is skills can be best utilised.

Back on to the back-up 'keeper...

Oldham Athletic have cut their 3rd Aussie keeper in 1 month.

Dean Bouzanis and Liam Jacob got cut last month and Alex Cisak got cut overnight. Cisak and Bousanis will likely try and stay in the UK/Europe (as will Jacob tbh) but he could be willing to come back to Aus after stints with LFC, ManU and Oldham. He is a really solid prospect at only 18, although he is a Sydney boy... (Does Melbourne produce any quality?? ffs)

young keeper with international experience. I'm happy with that.

Edit: Has Bolton signed on as keeper coach?

As an aussie working in Liverpool atm, this kids name rang a bell.. remembered reading about him recently in the Liverpool Echo newspaper. Did a bit of research and he seems to have some big names who rate him. Eric Steele (Man Utd), Paul Dickov (City), Paul Gerrard (Everton).  Would be a good pick for Heart as 2nd young up and coming keeper. Doubt any others in the country would have anywhere near his standard of training.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rover-flow-tranmere-reserves-win-3321013

To give you an idea most of these Tranmere players are first team professionals, David Amoo is from LFC in the Bouzanis era

Edited by oneanddone

Phoenix released Tony Lochead. Look I think he wouldn't be too bad at LB for us, would be happy to sign him even though he takes an import spot. 

Also allows us to play Ramsay on the wing (his natural position). 

Potential squad player, would provide good cover if needed but I don't know if he'd cut it in the starting XI

Gamiero would be great, so would a lot of other players but our biggest deficiency is our backs we need potentially 2 CBs and 1 LB. We should be going for Ogenovski, Madaschi, Hamill - players that will make our back solid. IMO Gerhardt is being under utilized as a Center Back and Ramsay will not work. If we are going to sign any Attacking players it should be some of the younger Phoenix players like Fenton!

I'd rather sign Gameiro as a striker and spend more money on a good CB and in signing Garcia and another midfield playmaker.

Kliment+Taseski+Melbourne+Heart+Training

On a bit more of a positive note, I've got it on pretty good authority that former golden boy Klim Taseski has worked his way back and will almost certainly sign a new professional contract with the club this season.

I'm sure you all remember the glimpses of raw talent the kid showed in his his time at the club, but was ultimately dropped due to his injury troubles, even though he was pretty highly rated at the club. I remember many of us were pretty dirty he wasn't given a new contract, you know, since guys like the Hoff were retained...

He's been training on and off with us and kept in contact with the club since leaving the club just over 12 months ago and he's been injury free, winning the 2012 VPL U21 player of the season after just 12 games at relegated Moreland. He's now at Richmond and has 2 goals from his 4 starts this season.

Very keen on this to materialise, he has the potential to be a very good footballer, a cult hero and dare I say it - a club legend...

Inb4 tesla blows his load... :up: :up: :up:

Tesla won't be the only one.

I am a huge fan, this kid is a gun, awesome news!

The club has no obligations to say exactly why they keep certain players but in Hoffmans case I'd love to know what they see in him. I said it a while ago though that regarding Hoffman it may be just a case that if you get rid of too many players you have too many places to fill. Keep Hoffman as a back up player, its one less player to look for and focus on signing those major gaps in the team.

Kliment+Taseski+Melbourne+Heart+Training

On a bit more of a positive note, I've got it on pretty good authority that former golden boy Klim Taseski has worked his way back and will almost certainly sign a new professional contract with the club this season.

I'm sure you all remember the glimpses of raw talent the kid showed in his his time at the club, but was ultimately dropped due to his injury troubles, even though he was pretty highly rated at the club. I remember many of us were pretty dirty he wasn't given a new contract, you know, since guys like the Hoff were retained...

He's been training on and off with us and kept in contact with the club since leaving the club just over 12 months ago and he's been injury free, winning the 2012 VPL U21 player of the season after just 12 games at relegated Moreland. He's now at Richmond and has 2 goals from his 4 starts this season.

Very keen on this to materialise, he has the potential to be a very good footballer, a cult hero and dare I say it - a club legend...

Inb4 tesla blows his load... :up: :up: :up:

Tesla won't be the only one.

I am a huge fan, this kid is a gun, awesome news! Great news!