Melbourne Football

City in the headlines

millm103

6 minutes ago, HeartOfCity said:

So today i heard Ian Robson on SEN. WHY THE HELL CANT SOMEONE FROM CITY DO A HALF HOUR FUCKING SEGMENT ONCE A WEEK AT LEAST. City are so shit at this it makes my blood boil. 

I said this on the city voice discussion last week. It's common knowledge amongst Victorian Aleague followers that our club is much less accessible than victree. 

7 minutes ago, HeartOfCity said:

So today i heard Ian Robson on SEN. WHY THE HELL CANT SOMEONE FROM CITY DO A HALF HOUR FUCKING SEGMENT ONCE A WEEK AT LEAST. City are so shit at this it makes my blood boil. 

TBH I prefer we don't. 

Can just remember all the times Munn use to get on and talk absolute nonsense almost just for the sake of it.

2 minutes ago, n i k o said:

I said this on the city voice discussion last week. It's common knowledge amongst Victorian Aleague followers that our club is much less accessible than victree. 

I think we've known right from the start that CFG only speak when they decide they have something to say. They are not into airing the affairs of the club or its people in public.

2 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I think we've known right from the start that CFG only speak when they decide they have something to say. They are not into airing the affairs of the club or its people in public.

Did you know that McDonalds brought out a food menu option called the McCurry Pan in India. Interestingly enough they decided against bringing it out in Australia. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jovan said:

TBH I prefer we don't. 

Can just remember all the times Munn use to get on and talk absolute nonsense almost just for the sake of it.

I dont care who speaks and how shit it is im just sick of the neighbours being the only ones trying to reach out to the community. 

• Like 1

On 19 May 2016 at 7:40 PM, n i k o said:

Did you know that McDonalds brought out a food menu option called the McCurry Pan in India. Interestingly enough they decided against bringing it out in Australia. 

And this is a big problem with CFG. Nothing is tailored for the local market. If it works inManxhester we can apply to Melbourne. Hence "Melchester City".

• Like 1

On 19/05/2016 at 7:20 PM, HeartOfCity said:

Thats the worst half hour of radio in history. KB having no idea what hes on about and Robson flogging off the Victory constantly. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

And this is a big problem with CFG. Nothing is tailored for the local market. If it works inManxhester we can apply to Melbourne. Hence "Melchester City".

The joys of a multi-national - and I've worked in a few! I think we'd all be a lot more comfortable with CFG's management if we hadn't had FFA throwing up roadblocks all the time. But it is what it is, and CFG do need to learn a lot more about the local market and be a lot quicker in responding more quickly to local concerns.

• 3 weeks later...

Tim Cahill and Melbourne City is a match made in heaven, writes Matt Windley

DEAR Tim. While you’re in Melbourne for the next few days — and we do hope you enjoy — why not consider returning later in the year on a more permanent basis?

You’ve spoken about leaving a legacy for the game in Australia and needing a vision from an A-League club to persuade you to come home to finish your career.

Down here we have the perfect fit for you — Melbourne City.

You want vision to match yours? How about City’s $15 million investment in to its brand new training facility? Or its impact on the women’s game with last season’s all-conquering W-League debut?

City is making plenty of moves to be the positive lasting influence on the Australian soccer scene that you yourself also want to be.

940050-left.gifOutside of snagging Messi or Ronaldo, you could do more for this club, this game in Australia, than any other player in the world.940141-right.gif

The club, backed by its wealthy Manchester owners, has all the ingredients to be a blockbuster entity.

It just needs that sprinkling of stardust.

That’s where you come in.

City’s three biggest home crowds outside of derbies against Melbourne Victory — you’ll enjoy those — were for David Villa’s two home games for the club in 2014 and also Alessandro Del Piero’s first game down here against it in 2013.

It shows that big names help City pull big crowds.

c775a316b82db64371c935e950271d65?width=6 Tim Cahill celebrates with teammate Trent Sainsbury after scoring a disallowed goal against Greece

But, honestly, in these parts you’re a much bigger name than Villa or Del Piero.

Hell, outside of snagging Lionel Messi or Cristiano Ronaldo, you could probably do more for this club, this game in Australia, than any other player in the world.

Some diehard soccer fans may laugh at that, but your name has instant cut through with the wider Australian public — round ball fans or not.

Victory had an instantly recognisable Melburnian on its books until a couple of weeks ago.

Everyone — AFL fans, cricket fans, just casual sport fans — knew who Archie Thompson was and who he played for.

Now that he’s gone there needs to be another name to help compete for airtime on the game’s behalf in this, the most competitive sporting marketplace in the world.

940050-left.gifSurely for a sports man or women there would be no greater thrill than strutting your stuff here?940141-right.gif

Melbourne itself should appeal too.

You’ve done England, you’ve done New York and Shanghai, but Melbourne is the sporting capital of the world. Surely for a sports man or women there would be no greater thrill than strutting your stuff here?

You’ve expressed concern at the past treatment of returning Socceroos, but to be fair, that hasn’t been the case in Melbourne.

When one of the biggest Roos of them all, Harry Kewell, played at Victory and Heart he himself was his own greatest critic, not the media nor the fans.

You want legacy?

The television rights deal currently being thrashed out could set up the game in this country for life.

TV networks are crying out for big names and big games.

You’re the biggest name we’ve got and, if you played for City the club’s appeal would skyrocket.

While you’re a player it’s not necessarily your responsibility to be worrying about big picture stuff.

But if you do want to have a crack at making a lasting impact in Melbourne, we’ll gladly take you in for next season.

Cue the Cahill rumours.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/tim-cahill-and-melbourne-city-is-a-match-made-in-heaven-writes-matt-windley/news-story/9d96cda132d5a9c2b8b680172225446d

• Like 1

Yep just what we need to build a dynasty....... after Kewell and Villa..., another short-term deal to an ex-superstar almost ready for retirement.  Does the marketing dept have this much influence on transfers? Garbage.

I bow to no one in my admiration for Cahill's career.  But he's even bailed out of China now..... this is purely to sell seats and shirts. The TEAM does not benefit.

Next week: Didier Drogba to sign 3-game deal  for us.

On 6/6/2016 at 2:11 PM, CityWildcat said:

Yep just what we need to build a dynasty....... after Kewell and Villa..., another short-term deal to an ex-superstar almost ready for retirement.  Does the marketing dept have this much influence on transfers? Garbage.

I bow to no one in my admiration for Cahill's career.  But he's even bailed out of China now..... this is purely to sell seats and shirts. The TEAM does not benefit.

Next week: Didier Drogba to sign 3-game deal  for us.

I think you forgetting what an impact Vinnie Grella had on the side in his one appearance a week after being introduced to the Terrace by its Self Appointed Commissioner at the time. 

I am still a member after all the fucking bullshit over the years, but if we sign that flog Tim Cahill I am actually 100% legitimately cancelling my membership.

I'd rather the club signed Adam Johnson, better person and role model than Tim Cahill ffs :droy: 

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tesla said:

I am still a member after all the fucking bullshit over the years, but if we sign that flog Tim Cahill I am actually 100% legitimately cancelling my membership.

I'd rather the club signed Adam Johnson, better person and role model than Tim Cahill ffs :droy: 

Some serious disrespect here for mine.

Sure, he's a bit of a dick - but he's allowed to be. Look what he has done for our country (football wise).

Guy's a dead set legend, I'd love to have him.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Tesla said:

Does that mean you'll throw your 'Administrator' towel in to? For what its worth i agree he is a bit of a flog but you cant argue that he wouldnt bring crowds or having the most goals for a Socceroo. Its a no brainer for me. 

15 minutes ago, Tesla said:

hqdefault.jpg

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JC22 said:

Sure, he's a bit of a dick - but he's allowed to be. Look what he has done for our country (football wise).

He is a legend on the field for the amount of times he saved our ass. And I'm generally not one to care about anything more than what a player can deliver on the pitch, but I have to make an exception for Tim Cahill as he is possibly the biggest flog in world sports.

3 minutes ago, HeartOfCity said:

Does that mean you'll throw your 'Administrator' towel in to? For what its worth i agree he is a bit of a flog but you cant argue that he wouldnt bring crowds or having the most goals for a Socceroo. Its a no brainer for me. 

Honestly I'm banking on the fact he won't sign with us as the FFA will want him in Sydney, so I can't foresee myself having to cancel my membership or throw the administrator towel in.

Then again, Tim Cahill will just go to where there is more money (and then go out of his way to deny it, "Melbourne City have more vision blah blah") so it is plausible that CFG will just put up bigger money.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, JC22 said:

Just like Warne. As long as you're good at sport we turn a blind eye in this country <3

46 minutes ago, Tesla said:

How many times do you leave your house to attend a match last season anyway?

I am just saying it can not have been that many... not that I did not miss a fair few as well.

Edited by cadete

8 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Cahill is a different kind of flog to Warnie, Warne was a loveable bloke who enjoyed a dart, a drink and a cheeky text. Cahill, and Hayne IMO, are more the "American" breed of athlete and come across as self obsessed morons only interested in themselves.

I think youll find it being more a case of Victorians Vs New South Welshmen

1 hour ago, Tesla said:

Fuck me dead 

13 minutes ago, JC22 said:

Not renewing your membership of the club you supposedly love for signing arguably the greatest Australian player of all time, while he's still playing for the national team is ridiculous.

What are you on?

3 hours ago, Tesla said:

Shall we start a poll?

IN or OUT:  Will you join Tim on his vi$ionary journey? 

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

What are you on?

Has been suggested in the media.

His impact has been greater than any. 

I never saw Baartz so Kewell is the greatest in my mind, with the Duk 2nd, but Cahill is definitely "in the conversation".

Not that that's got anything to do with whether he is a good fit for Melbourne 2016-2017.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Here's some hot sauce; Deal is done in principle nothing signed yet some formalities to sort out which could be stumbling blocks. If it goes through don't expect it this week as the city staff are away/no presser tomorrow and fixtures announced Thursday. 

Say it isn't so.

8 hours ago, kingofhearts said:

Just like Warne. As long as you're good at sport we turn a blind eye in this country <3

Unless you play tennis apparently.

8 hours ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Don't like him on a personal level, would be the biggest signing in A-league history if it happens though.

ADP>