Melbourne Football

Represent the Heart.

Mentor

They make reference to making hard business decisions... Reference to colour change?

Imo we will be playing in sky blue as home colours and away might be the red and white.

I'm afraid this is it.

Considering how much angst colour topic has caused supporters you'd think they would be a little more transparent on this issue.

Saying that they are happy to keep red and white in some capacity without committing to which jersey home or away would go a long way in regaining some trust and credibility.

As it stands they are going to loose both if the turn their back on our colours.

They make reference to making hard business decisions... Reference to colour change?

Imo we will be playing in sky blue as home colours and away might be the red and white.

AKA: The Cardiff Solution.

Which would also mean that SFC get to keep their sky blue home colours without any clashes. I can see the FFA allowing that due to the benefits that CFG are bringing to our league. It sucks, but sounds like the most likely decision at this point.

Again though, this is all just speculation. The submission to change colours could just be adding a bit of sky blue to our current kit, we really have no solid idea. Looking forward to many months of speculating and hypothesising with you all haha.

Not a fan of the "Out of respect of other teams and the World Cup we won't be making further announcements" part. To me this is a cover up to the fact that it is going to take a lot of time and need a lot of approvals to get a name and colour change. I don't buy that at all. The Melbourne City name change is currently in the courts so don't bullshit us with that. And how about out of respect for the FANS who ARE THE CLUB they make announcements ASAP so we can know what team we are going to support, a club that we fans have built a proud culture under or a soulless franchise of Manchester City. I want answers now and I think we deserve them, it's been a long time already.

Which would also mean that SFC get to keep their sky blue home colours without any clashes. I can see the FFA allowing that due to the benefits that CFG are bringing to our league. It sucks, but sounds like the most likely decision at this point.

Again though, this is all just speculation. The submission to change colours could just be adding a bit of sky blue to our current kit, we really have no solid idea. Looking forward to many months of speculating and hypothesising with you all haha.

Sydney are not concerned about a clash of colours when we play each other. They are worried about them losing their unique identity in the A-League as "the Sky Blues". 

I don't think the Cardiff solution will be adopted due to the continuing division it's caused amongst their supporters. I don't think it's a precedent that shows good business or fan relation outcomes.

I think they will be smarter. I don't know how, but my guess is that the home strip will retain some red and white, while adding some blue.

I'd also guess they might use the NYC example of offering 2 or 3 options for people to vote on, and that will comprise the 'consultation' part of the deal.

Edited by Sash
  • Like 1

It also makes no sense to me that they would acknowledge that red and white are the colours of Melbourne, but that we would only wear those colours outside of Melbourne and not actually at home, in our home city. I'm still hopefull, and I think we should push as hard as we can, that the colours of Melbourne be worn in Melbourne, and the colours of our owners be exhibited everywhere else.

• Like 1

Hey guys

Im not going to get much of a chance to be online today but i will try and answer some of the questions if I can, remembering the answers will be based on my interpretation of the meeting.

Firstly, my reading of being able to make the hard business decisions generally relates back to staff / players / coaches, etc.  If they dont perform, see you later.  City is an entity that will provide everything needed, so the goals will be high, and there will be no where to hide if targets are not achieved.

In terms of the Cardiff scenario, it was said that this is exactly what they are trying to avoid.  With the colours, they "get it" that the club is red and white.  The trick will be how to appropriately integrate the City element into the fabric of our being, and from what was said, I do believe they are genuine with regards to trying to achieve this in a respectful way.  They want to keep existing fans and we are important to the owners.  We probably havent always realised it, but they are watching what we do, how we behave and how we bring what we bring (passion, noise, colour) to the club, and they like what has been built up.

Finally, with regards to timeframes, this point was pushed at the meeting, but other than what I've already stated, no firm commitments were given.

Cheers

Champion

Hey guys

Im not going to get much of a chance to be online today but i will try and answer some of the questions if I can, remembering the answers will be based on my interpretation of the meeting.

Firstly, my reading of being able to make the hard business decisions generally relates back to staff / players / coaches, etc.  If they dont perform, see you later.  City is an entity that will provide everything needed, so the goals will be high, and there will be no where to hide if targets are not achieved.

In terms of the Cardiff scenario, it was said that this is exactly what they are trying to avoid.  With the colours, they "get it" that the club is red and white.  The trick will be how to appropriately integrate the City element into the fabric of our being, and from what was said, I do believe they are genuine with regards to trying to achieve this in a respectful way.  They want to keep existing fans and we are important to the owners.  We probably havent always realised it, but they are watching what we do, how we behave and how we bring what we bring (passion, noise, colour) to the club, and they like what has been built up.

Finally, with regards to timeframes, this point was pushed at the meeting, but other than what I've already stated, no firm commitments were given.

Thanks for the update, really is great to be able to find out some information regarding the matter. Still a bit ambiguous as to what's going to happen but the most important thing is the acknowledgement and understanding that the colours mean a lot to us. Step in the right direction at least.

Hey guys

Awesome update. Thanks. I think it's looking good that the Red and White will be part of the plan. I think the logo for NY City is very very nice and I'm sure they'll probably hire the same graphic designer for our logo/kit etc. 

I'm feeling hopeful. 

I am feeling pessimistically optimistic about our colours remaining. It is good that our voices have been heard and they will be respectful to the short history of the club. The real question now is how much will sky blue infiltrate the club. Best case scenario is we keep our current home kit and adopt City's sky blue for an away kit (That doesn't bother me, even though I am not a City fan, their kit is class). Or, we go the CD Lugo route and wear red and white stripes with sky blue shorts. I am skeptical as to whether or not this will look good, but keep in mind, we will probably have some of the best graphic designers and such working on these things, so, they may be able to make it look good, and if we do go that route we will certainly have quite a unique colour combination haha.

With regard to the announcement timeframe and "respect" shown to the finals series and world cup, I would also anticipate that part of the reason for the delay is that these guys, being good at what they do, will be looking to release the info at peak times of interest. ie. No point having the announcement of a big signing or facilties upgrade at a time when it will only get one days coverage before the papers turn back to Victory's final, or the Socceroos squad etc. I think they'll leak the info out appropriately in the gaps they can find in peak media coverage times. Expect lots of Tuesday announcements:)

Hey guys

Thank you TA as always for keeping everyone in the loop.

And what I want to say here, everyone, is that we, supporters of all types, ages, and degrees of passion, have conducted ourselves showing respect to our new owners, and I think that has gone down very well indeed with them. If we keep it that way I am pretty sure that we will get an outcome that we can live with. The very fact that a member of the Board of Manchester City met with our "representatives" I think speaks to the sincerity of City in their dealings with Heart.

Again, very well done and many thanks to those who did the hard yakka in organizing "Keep Melbourne Red and White" at the WSW match.

Catania does wear sky blue, it is just the photos of those girls are off on their colour representation or more likely your screen is displaying the colours incorrectly.

For a non- sexist photo of a Catania strip

Bari+v+Catania+Calcio+Serie+_KLtFeUOS8El

or

Catania+Calcio+v+Udinese+Calcio+Serie+sI

Edited by Rellum

I'd be happy to wear our traditional red and white home strip, be more experimental with the away outfit and wear light blue away when we play ACL. When we meet MCFC in the final of the World Club Championship we wear red and white for that game but after that the loser has to adopt the home strip of the winner :D

For all the reassurances that came out of this meeting, it doesn't sound like anything concrete was actually said. 

How hard would it have been to say "we are playing at home in red and white next year".  Why would that need to wait to be announced?

Melbourne is red & white is NOT "Melbourne is only red and white away from melbourne" and it is definitely NOT Melbourne is red, white & blue. 

Edited by Shahanga
  • Like 1

For all the reassurances that came out of this meeting, it doesn't sound like anything concrete was actually said. 

How hard would it have been to say "we are playing at home in red and white next year".  Why would that need to wait to be announced?

Melbourne is red & white is NOT "Melbourne is only red and white away from melbourne" and it is definitely NOT Melbourne is red, white & blue. 

Is it really realistic to have expected anything more than what was said (see below) when any change they might propose has to be approved by FFA?

I don't think so. The way I read it is that they are being very respectful of our short, but cherished, history.

'It is imperative for City to build a global brand.  For them to achieve this, they believe there must be easily identifiable synergies with Manchester and New York.  They indicated an acceptance that Heart is Red & White.  Acknowledging this, they intend to introduce sky blue into the club (as well).  They committed to achieve an outcome whereby the majority of supporters are in acceptance AND that will be respectful to the (albeit short) history of the club.  They were no commitments given with regard to a change in name, however, again they indicated that all processes undertaken in building the desired global brand will be respectful to Heart, the existing fans and club history.'

Is it really realistic to have expected anything more than what was said (see below) when any change they might propose has to be approved by FFA?

I don't think so. The way I read it is that they are being very respectful of our short, but cherished, history.

'It is imperative for City to build a global brand.  For them to achieve this, they believe there must be easily identifiable synergies with Manchester and New York.  They indicated an acceptance that Heart is Red & White.  Acknowledging this, they intend to introduce sky blue into the club (as well).  They committed to achieve an outcome whereby the majority of supporters are in acceptance AND that will be respectful to the (albeit short) history of the club.  They were no commitments given with regard to a change in name, however, again they indicated that all processes undertaken in building the desired global brand will be respectful to Heart, the existing fans and club history.'

Agree.

What I take from TA's excellent summary and the words you've italicised is nothing more than what many of us have come to think. The sharing of a common colour as part of identifiable synergies, including a re-badging, is what they'll aim for. So I'm expecting scheme involving Red & White and sky blue for home strip. This would recognise the history of the club and the support for the Red & White shown by fans and add sky blue for the link with MCFC and NYC FC. What's interesting is that the keep the red & white campaign has made some impression.

Edited by HEARTinator

Nice one jw, I keep looking for negatives.  The theme "the majority of supporters are in acceptance" is something I can hold on to.  I don't believe they'll get that for home strips of vomit combos or sky blue.

I still think they could have given assurance over the home jerseys if thats what they were committed to - no need for FFA approval for that.  i would have if I was conducting the meeting (and thats what we were committed to).

I honestly believe you guys can stop fretting about the colours.

Simon Pearce as the ear of Sheik Mansour and from what I hear he is a straight forward honest guy

Am convinced you will be playing in Red & White next season with Sky Blue involved in the second strip.

The fact they have accepted Melbourne is Red & White speaks volumes.

Has I have said they don't do their business through the press

Edited by silva10
  • Like 2

Nice one jw, I keep looking for negatives.  The theme "the majority of supporters are in acceptance" is something I can hold on to.  I don't believe they'll get that for home strips of vomit combos or sky blue.

I still think they could have given assurance over the home jerseys if thats what they were committed to - no need for FFA approval for that.  i would have if I was conducting the meeting (and thats what we were committed to).

It's OK mate. No hard feelings about you or your passion for the club and certainly nothing personal about your views.  I understand exactly where you are coming from.

What I like about this forum, and the supporters on here, is that we are able to discuss these things in a civilised manner. I think that has impressed and will continue to impress the City folk.

Edited by jw1739