Melbourne Football

Represent the Heart.

Mentor

It's also way too hard for most sing...

Exactly.

What the club is trying to do is come up with a song or songs that more people can/will join in with, not just the "active" group behind the southern goal.

Most of the people in the stadium don't resonate with the stuff that is being proposed, which appeals only to a very limited demographic.

• Like 1

I will be extremely pissed if they get rid of So happy Together, what's the point of using it for the back end of last season if we are going to get rid of it?

Surely this is a fitting walk out track

oh oh !!! HHH music.

Time to plaaaaaay the gaaaaaame !!

Not saying we go with a wrestling theme... but surely Goldberg's walk out music would be ultimate.

Complete with kicking down doors and putting holes in walls. Lol

I will be extremely pissed if they get rid of So happy Together, what's the point of using it for the back end of last season if we are going to get rid of it?

oh oh !!! HHH music.

Not saying we go with a wrestling theme... but surely Goldberg's walk out music would be ultimate.

Nah Goldust, and the players all wear platinum blonde wigs

oh oh !!! HHH music.

Nah Goldust, and the players all wear platinum blonde wigs

Goldust's outfit to be our new third kit lmao

Edited by Deviate
  • Like 2

oh oh !!! HHH music.

We'll wait until engerlaar comes back and lights flares at the entrance for him to come through and very week we'll kidnap a victory fan and he can boot them in the head with a big face kick as he walks out hahahaha

It took three years for an reasonable amount of PPL to agree to "So Happy Together" so why do we have to do this process of PPL suggesting and arguing over each others Music Taste??? 

Edit the "So Happy Together" so it only includes the First Verse and the Chorus a few times so its much easier to sing,

Then cut the song for a second so the crowd can yell out that the sky is "RED" instead of "Blue".

And we are done. :up:

I don't mind that actually; muting the song on the word "blue" for the crowd to sing "RED" will work! The words on the big screen should also display "RED" when this happens  ;)

I think I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't mind sticking to "So Happy Together" as long as the words on the big screen stop showing "ba ba-ba-ba-ba ba-ba-ba-ba etc etc etc". It looks shit and quite 'amateur-ish'. The fans can sing the "ba ba-ba-ba-ba ba-ba-ba-ba..." if they want, I just don't think we need it plastered all over the big screen. Everyone in my section (Cat B) was laughing because it just looks silly!

Also the song should start fading out either after the first "ba ba-ba-ba-ba ba-ba-ba-ba..." (2:00 minutes in) or after the "how is the weather...so happy together...we're happy together..." (2:25 - 2:35), in time for the whistle to be blown.

It took three years for an reasonable amount of PPL to agree to "So Happy Together" so why do we have to do this process of PPL suggesting and arguing over each others Music Taste???

Edit the "So Happy Together" so it only includes the First Verse and the Chorus a few times so its much easier to sing,

Then cut the song for a second so the crowd can yell out that the sky is "RED" instead of "Blue".

I'll be singing blue. That's the song, that's the sky colour.

FFS, are we never allowed to say the sentence 'When we make the final, victory will be ours!!'

So petty and immature - just sing the phuqing song as-is... It's not AFL

• Like 2

Singing about the sky being blue (which it is) isn't even worth being so pedantic over, it's just a song about being happy, nothing more and nothing less!

No wonder the club is considering scrapping it when it has its supporters arguing over the most absolute miniscule of details.

It took three years for an reasonable amount of PPL to agree to "So Happy Together" so why do we have to do this process of PPL suggesting and arguing over each others Music Taste??? 

Edit the "So Happy Together" so it only includes the First Verse and the Chorus a few times so its much easier to sing,

Then cut the song for a second so the crowd can yell out that the sky is "RED" instead of "Blue".

Caddy, I agree 100%. Make sure you e-mail the club and put these points across forcefully. That's what I did.

Pointless wasting any more time on this. Stick with what we've got and tweak it a bit. At the rate we're going there'll be a new "club song" every half-season or so.

It should be said that if you are not near the terrace behind the goal, then you can't hear any singing of So Happy Together, and you can only hear the PA system booming out the song. I sit with family pretty much near the halfway line, and it is rather annoying to just hear the song play over the PA and have the words appear up on the big screens, with there being no audible singing. I think this is why So Happy Together doesn't seem to have connected with many non-active supporters.

I'm a fan of So Happy Together, and a slightly shortened version sounds like a very good idea. However, if the song is only heard through the PA system in most areas except for the terrace, I'm not sure that's a very good idea. It's effectively a repeat of our 1st season, when we had that lullaby song get played at full volume through the PA, with the song not connecting with most of the crowd.

Maybe for the time being we need to take a bottom up approach to a pre-game song, like how YNWA evolved at Liverpool, with active supporters singing and promoting a particular song before each game so it becomes a club song? This top down approach of having the club play a song full volume through the PA system doesn't seem to be working, IMO.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 4

There's absolutely nothing stopping fans other than those in Yarraside singing and participating in adding to the atmosphere.

Singing/chanting for your team is not the exclusive domain of a small section of fans behind one set of goals.

Like it or not, the West Sydney crowd as a whole has gotten well into it, and the players on the field responding in kind.

• Like 3

It should be said that if you are not near the terrace behind the goal, then you can't hear any singing of So Happy Together, and you can only hear the PA system booming out the song. I sit with family pretty much near the halfway line, and it is rather annoying to just hear the song play over the PA and have the words appear up on the big screens, with there being no audible singing. I think this is why So Happy Together doesn't seem to have connected with many non-active supporters.

I'm a fan of So Happy Together, and a slightly shortened version sounds like a very good idea. However, if the song is only heard through the PA system in most areas except for the terrace, I'm not sure that's a very good idea. It's effectively a repeat of our 1st season, when we had that lullaby song get played at full volume through the PA, with the song not connecting with most of the crowd.

Maybe for the time being we need to take a bottom up approach to a pre-game song, like how YNWA evolved at Liverpool, with active supporters singing and promoting a particular song before each game so it becomes a club song? This top down approach of having the club play a song full volume through the PA system doesn't seem to be working, IMO.

"So Happy Together" was a bottom up song suggested by a member of the Yarraside End and thus it was sung by those in Yarraside End in and outside of games.

It's therefore pretty unfair to compare it to the Season One Song which was compossed by the club and a few Yesmen - As Ando said nobody is stopping the wings from singing along.

And we are never going to get the "Whole Stadium YNWA Effect" until we have a "Whole Stadium".

Edited by cadete

So, the underlying theme here is...precisely what I put at the start of my e-mail to the club on this subject...let the fans create the "matchday experience", get rid of the bloke on the microphone screaming at the top of his voice, turn the PA down (or better still turn it off except for the announcement of the teams and other essential news such as next home game, club news etc.), and then, as you rightly say, we would be able to hear Yarraside leading the singing, chanting etc. at a sensible tempo and we could all join in as and when we can.

Instead our ears are bombarded with a whole heap of shit before, during and after the game, and that is the main reason why the rest of the crowd doesn't get involved.

Well said Murf.

• Like 4

It took three years for an reasonable amount of PPL to agree to "So Happy Together" so why do we have to do this process of PPL suggesting and arguing over each others Music Taste???

Edit the "So Happy Together" so it only includes the First Verse and the Chorus a few times so its much easier to sing,

Then cut the song for a second so the crowd can yell out that the sky is "RED" instead of "Blue".

I'll be singing blue. That's the song, that's the sky colour.

FFS, are we never allowed to say the sentence 'When we make the final, victory will be ours!!'

So petty and immature - just sing the phuqing song as-is... It's not AFL Sky in Melbourne is mostly grey I'd say.

• Like 4

@jw i noticed yesterday as a perfect example of ground announcers in australia seem to feel the need to yell at the top of their voice into the microphone.

i think they need some training on the fact that a microphone cannot adjust the volume of your voice to be louder or softer, rather it just amplifies it (for lack of a better term).

After there full seasons it's disheartening to see some supporters expecting a ready-made club culture. The fact is the fans have as much power at the club to build that culture, and it seems like a lot of people, aside from those in Yarraside, just expect that culture to have been there from the start.

@jw i noticed yesterday as a perfect example of ground announcers in australia seem to feel the need to yell at the top of their voice into the microphone.

i think they need some training on the fact that a microphone cannot adjust the volume of your voice to be louder or softer, rather it just amplifies it (for lack of a better term).

Should get the Top Dog of Ground Announcers on board for Season 2013-2014:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fM2GggDnZto

I don't expect a 'ready-made club culture' (whatever that is). I believe that club culture, like club identity, takes a lot of time to develop.

It's exactly the artificial club culture that I'm weary of with So Happy Together. The song is boomed out full volume over the PA, and I see fans all around me (that is, fans in premium seats who are not behind the goals) being alienated by it all. So do we need to play the song over the AAMI's sound system? Yarraside singing and chanting on their own in season 2 is some of the Heart atmosphere I remember the most, and for the time being I think that sort of set up could be ideal again for the pre-game song.

I'd love to see more participation from all or most of the crowd. I think having the crowd yell out players surnames pre-game is an excellent idea, and one that worked pretty well last season. The Wanderers have that excellent whole of crowd participation that I'd like to see us have. However, they achieved that by not over-elaborating. They have a few simple songs or chants (e.g. "who do we sing we for? / we sing for wanderers") that are very effective. And that Wanderers atmosphere is crowd lead, with pretty much no help from the club doing things through the PA.

I hope to see more crowd participation from non-active supporters, but I don't see it happening with So Happy Together as it was played last season.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 2

I don't expect a 'ready-made club culture' (whatever that is). I believe that club culture, like club identity, takes a lot of time to develop.

It's exactly the artificial club culture that I'm weary of with So Happy Together. The song is boomed out full volume over the PA, and I see fans all around me (that is, fans in premium seats who are not behind the goals) being alienated by it all. So do we need to play the song over the AAMI's sound system? Yarraside singing and chanting on their own in season 2 is some of the Heart atmosphere I remember the most, and for the time being I think that sort of set up could be ideal again for the pre-game song.

I'd love to see more participation from all or most of the crowd. I think having the crowd yell out players surnames pre-game is an excellent idea, and one that worked pretty well last season. The Wanderers have that excellent whole of crowd participation that I'd like to see us have. However, they achieved that by not over-elaborating. They have a few simple songs or chants (e.g. "who do we sing we for? / we sing for wanderers") that are very effective. And that Wanderers atmosphere is crowd lead, with pretty much no help from the club doing things through the PA.

I hope to see more crowd participation from non-active supporters, but I don't see it happening with So Happy Together as it was played last season.

Dont you think its worth persisting (Perhaps with some changes) with a song that got just under 1/4 of the crowd moving as opposed to starting all over again with another song?

IMO the "So Happy Together" having only been played for half a season is only in its infancy in being tried as a Club Song and the fact that its being played to the small unhappy crowds that Heart's Season of Hell drew really means it cannot be assessed properly and so early as a failure.

Even the S1 Song recieved a whole Season of Airplay.

I remember the first time "So Happy Together" was sung by Yarraside while I was watching the game at home on TV and I recall the Fox Sports commentary team applauding as the noise created sounded great, it was involving some of the fans around the ground and overall they were keen for it to become a regular item, a club anthem if you will. 

Still would love for it to happen.

• Like 1

Dont you think its worth persisting (Perhaps with some changes) with a song that got just under 1/4 of the crowd moving as opposed to starting all over again with another song?

IMO the "So Happy Together" having only been played for half a season is only in its infancy in being tried as a Club Song and the fact that its being played to the small unhappy crowds that Heart's Season of Hell drew really means it cannot be assessed properly and so early as a failure.

Even the S1 Song recieved a whole Season of Airplay.

I'm happy for us to play So Happy Together pre-game this season. I just thought it was worth voicing how non-active supporters have experienced the song pre-game.

I can imagine the song becoming more successful over time, and I also really don't want Heart to chop and change another thing about the club. 

My concern was merely practical. I don't think the song resonated enough with non-active supporters last season. I think that happened because the song was both too long and too loud.

I think some of changes suggested above are excellent, in particular that we edit the song to only be the first verse and the chorus repeated, and could very well make the song successful with supporters at large.

So all up, if the above changes are made I reckon So Happy Together will be successful with Heart supporters at large, which unfortunately didn't seem to be the case last season.

• Like 2

The whole point of a club song is to get "majority" of supporters singing it.

We should stop looking for rock, wrestling, punk, etc ideas as yarraside will belt out most of them with force and commitment.

But it's not the yarraside who needs to do it better.

It's the other, timid, reserved, perhaps more mature and less involved 80% of attendees who need to stand up and be counted.

If they are reasonably familiar with the song, they will be a lot more likely to sing it.

SHT is that song. My misses who hates sport all together sang it with us last year.

Shorten it, tweak some words, turn the PA down few notches and make it happen!

• Like 2