Melbourne Football

A-League News Thread

mus-28

My A-League team of the year: 

Starting XI

M.Theo (BR)

I.Franjic (BR) M.Smith (BR) N.Topor-Stanley (WSW) A.Traore (MV)

M.Carrusca (AU) L.Brattan (BR) T.Broich (BR)

F.Ferreira (AU) A.Taggart (NEW) J.Troisi (MV)

SUBS

A.Covic (WSW) J.North (BR) Isaias (AU) A.Del Piero (SYD) D.Williams (MH)

• Like 1

Hoffman???

If Williams can make it, there's no way he ain't in there ;)

Willo may well be our most frustrating player, but he still finished second in the league for goals scored so that at least warrants a spot on the bench! Gotta squeeze a Heart player in there somehow  :P

• Like 1

Burns FC becomes Lowe FC

Kenny Lowe is expected to be handed the vacant Perth Glory job on a full-time basis on Tuesday as the club focuses on youth development in the years ahead.

Glory leads the hunt for ArnoldGallas hungry for lost Glory days

Lowe – given the reins on a temporary basis following the acrimonious exit of Alistair Edwards in December - will be officially handed the baton with the club to make a formal announcement after sifting through a host of candidates including several from overseas.

Highly regarded in Western Australia for his work in youth development, Lowe also convinced Glory owner Tony Sage of his A-League credentials by sparking a late season revival which saw Perth win two of its last three games to finish eighth on the ladder.

Sage refused to confirm that Lowe had received the nod on Monday night, but did confirm the club‘s focus will be on producing, rather than poaching, young talent in the seasons to come.

Sage also revealed that controversial French striker Nicolas Anelka has been touted to Glory but that “there was no interest” in making signings until a new coach is appointed.

“I was contacted last Thursday and replied that it’s up to our new coach what he wants to do – whether he wants a marquee or wants to continue on with our policy of developing youth players," he explained. “Anelka would be a great acquisition for any club in Australia, but whether he would fit into our structure under the new coach, I don’t know.

“But I think it would be hard to sway the board because we want to continue on with our youth policy – and we want a coach who will take us in that direction."

Lowe took over amid player unrest during Edwards’ short stint, and with key striker Shane Smeltz out for long periods and consistency hard to come by, his record of four wins, four draws and nine defeats showed how tough the transition was.

But Sage – and his board – have seen enough promise in his methods to place their trust in him after top choice, Graham Arnold, opted not to apply for the job.

“It’s a shame he didn’t want to throw his hat in the ring. We had a long chat and he didn’t want to do anything so soon after Japan where he had a tough time," explained Sage.

“We have made a decision on our coach and plan to make an announcement on Tuesday. For us, there was a sense of urgency because we could lose up to nine players and want to be in a position to offer deals to other players domestically and overseas straight away.

“Arnie couldn’t make that commitment and I respect his decision.”

On the path ahead, Sage added: “We played more under-21 year olds than any other A-League team this season – and had seven in our starting line-up twice.

“The likes of Matt Davies, Riley Woodcock and Jack Clisby have all had 10 games odd now and that's good for the club going forward.”

Sage is keen to follow the model set by Central Coast Mariners in moulding youngsters who then go on to big money moves overseas – just like teenage midfielder Daniel De Silva whose $1 million plus transfer to Serie A giant Roma should be confirmed later this week.

Also likely to leave is 36-year-old French defender William Gallas, who despite voicing his desire to stay, has, according to Sage, substantial offers from Asia and is unlikely to be at nib Stadium next season.

The same applies to midfielder Steve McGarry, 33, who could be heading for Malaysia.

“In the next three to five years we would like to be like a Central Coast where we are still strong but we are in the habit of selling players on overseas," said Sage.

“We already have three or four players on the radar in Woodcock, Davies, Clisby and even Josh Risdon.

"A lot of scouts watching our games.

“The way things are shaping up, we could have the youngest squad in the A League next year.”

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1187326/Lowe-to-be-named-Glory-boss

Burns FC becomes Lowe FC

Kenny Lowe is expected to be handed the vacant Perth Glory job on a full-time basis on Tuesday as the club focuses on youth development in the years ahead.

Glory leads the hunt for ArnoldGallas hungry for lost Glory days

Lowe – given the reins on a temporary basis following the acrimonious exit of Alistair Edwards in December - will be officially handed the baton with the club to make a formal announcement after sifting through a host of candidates including several from overseas.

Highly regarded in Western Australia for his work in youth development, Lowe also convinced Glory owner Tony Sage of his A-League credentials by sparking a late season revival which saw Perth win two of its last three games to finish eighth on the ladder.

Sage refused to confirm that Lowe had received the nod on Monday night, but did confirm the club‘s focus will be on producing, rather than poaching, young talent in the seasons to come.

Sage also revealed that controversial French striker Nicolas Anelka has been touted to Glory but that “there was no interest” in making signings until a new coach is appointed.

“I was contacted last Thursday and replied that it’s up to our new coach what he wants to do – whether he wants a marquee or wants to continue on with our policy of developing youth players," he explained. “Anelka would be a great acquisition for any club in Australia, but whether he would fit into our structure under the new coach, I don’t know.

“But I think it would be hard to sway the board because we want to continue on with our youth policy – and we want a coach who will take us in that direction."

Lowe took over amid player unrest during Edwards’ short stint, and with key striker Shane Smeltz out for long periods and consistency hard to come by, his record of four wins, four draws and nine defeats showed how tough the transition was.

But Sage – and his board – have seen enough promise in his methods to place their trust in him after top choice, Graham Arnold, opted not to apply for the job.

“It’s a shame he didn’t want to throw his hat in the ring. We had a long chat and he didn’t want to do anything so soon after Japan where he had a tough time," explained Sage.

“We have made a decision on our coach and plan to make an announcement on Tuesday. For us, there was a sense of urgency because we could lose up to nine players and want to be in a position to offer deals to other players domestically and overseas straight away.

“Arnie couldn’t make that commitment and I respect his decision.”

On the path ahead, Sage added: “We played more under-21 year olds than any other A-League team this season – and had seven in our starting line-up twice.

“The likes of Matt Davies, Riley Woodcock and Jack Clisby have all had 10 games odd now and that's good for the club going forward.”

Sage is keen to follow the model set by Central Coast Mariners in moulding youngsters who then go on to big money moves overseas – just like teenage midfielder Daniel De Silva whose $1 million plus transfer to Serie A giant Roma should be confirmed later this week.

Also likely to leave is 36-year-old French defender William Gallas, who despite voicing his desire to stay, has, according to Sage, substantial offers from Asia and is unlikely to be at nib Stadium next season.

The same applies to midfielder Steve McGarry, 33, who could be heading for Malaysia.

“In the next three to five years we would like to be like a Central Coast where we are still strong but we are in the habit of selling players on overseas," said Sage.

“We already have three or four players on the radar in Woodcock, Davies, Clisby and even Josh Risdon.

"A lot of scouts watching our games.

“The way things are shaping up, we could have the youngest squad in the A League next year.”

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1187326/Lowe-to-be-named-Glory-boss

I thought he did alright under the circumstances he arrived in and now with Burns gone, the Edwards saga in the past and a whole off-season to shape the side in the way he wants, he should have some success next season. 

Underrated manager imo.

• 2 weeks later...

Perth expected to add Jacob Burns and Steven McGarry to their coaching staff. How can a club that used to be the benchmark now continually make such shit decisions.

Tony Sage? 

Seems like an alright bloke who cares about the club, they've just been a rabble since he's been at the helm but perhaps it's just coincidence. 

Perth expected to add Jacob Burns and Steven McGarry to their coaching staff. How can a club that used to be the benchmark now continually make such shit decisions.

Tony Sage? 

Seems like an alright bloke who cares about the club, they've just been a rabble since he's been at the helm but perhaps it's just coincidence. 

He might care but he keeps making shite decisions 

• Like 1

Lowe is very well regarded on the West Coast and has a long successful track record of youth development.

I know Perth were poor once he took over (despite all the positive press around Edwards I don't think they were that good before Lowe either), but I thought he might be worth persevering anyway given his reputation.  Having said that, i thought his approach to that oven game in Albury was very unprofessional.  He should have organised for the CEO to complain about the conditions and maintained a positive message himself to his players.  Instead, Perth had lost before kick off.

Phil Stubbins new coach at Newcastle Jets.

Surprised it took this long for him to get a coaching gig having seen some of the shit coaches that have passed through the A-League so far. Best of luck to him as a highly respected bloke in Victorian football circles.

• Like 1

FFA to charge A-League clubs $250,000 fee for tours by European giants

Football Federation Australia has attracted the ire of A-League club owners by moving to impose a $250,000 sanction fee on any international friendly matches the clubs organise against famous overseas teams.

Clubs were recently informed of the change, which could put in jeopardy future tour matches such as the clash between Melbourne Victory and English Premier League giants Liverpool last year that attracted 95,000 spectators to the Melbourne Cricket Ground.

FFA also organises its own matches against overseas opposition through the A-League All Stars team, which played Manchester United last year and will meet Italian club Juventus in Sydney in August.

Previously it charged the club 5 per cent of gate takings to sanction other matches.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/ffa-to-charge-aleague-clubs-250000-fee-for-tours-by-european-giants-20140505-zr4ni.html

• 4 weeks later...

Zadkovic and Newcastle agree to a mutual termination of his contract to pursue other opportunities.

other oppurtunities like a janitorial career? Pest control outside an Airport - He can take out any birds in the area with all his Sky Balls...

Unfortunately he wont be awarded bonus points for each hit like in California Games.

• Like 1

Zadkovic and Newcastle agree to a mutual termination of his contract to pursue other opportunities.

other oppurtunities like a janitorial career?Pest control outside an Airport - He can take out any birds in the area with all his Sky Balls...

Unfortunately he wont be awarded bonus points for each hit like in California Games.

Haha California Games. Now thats a blast from the past

• Like 1

other oppurtunities like a janitorial career?

Pest control outside an Airport - He can take out any birds in the area with all his Sky Balls...

I remember it took me years to work out the half pipe.

He is off to Perth apparently.

Edited by Dylan
  • Like 1

Pest control outside an Airport - He can take out any birds in the area with all his Sky Balls...

LOL - It was heaps easier on Master System than on the NES... mind you I doubt many on here will know what a Master System was...

Edited by cadete
  • Like 1

LOL - It was heaps easier on Master System than on the NES... mind you I doubt many on here will know what a Master System was...Mehhh

Amiga 500 is the weapon of choice

Edited by Jestr
  • Like 3

LOL - It was heaps easier on Master System than on the NES... mind you I doubt many on here will know what a Master System was...Mehhh

Loved spy vs spy on the master system

other oppurtunities like a janitorial career? Pest control outside an Airport - He can take out any birds in the area with all his Sky Balls...

Unfortunately he wont be awarded bonus points for each hit like in California Games. Haha California Games. Now thats a blast from the past I remember it took me years to work out the half pipe.

He is off to Perth apparently. LOL - It was heaps easier on Master System than on the NES... mind you I doubt many on here will know what a Master System was... Mehhh

Loved spy vs spy on the master system

Out Run was my favourite on the old MS2.

Didn't think games could better Jaguar XJ220 & Kick Off 2.

• 2 weeks later...

McGlinchey to Wellington. Huge signing, hopefully they play him as a number 10, not a winger.

Mariners Denying this. Will be interesting to see what happens.

News | McGlinchey not released
12:00PM, Jun 9 2014
00090783-leadimage.jpg

Central Coast Mariners wish to deny reports that midfielder Michael McGlinchey has been released from his contract with the Club.

“Michael is still under contract with us,” Club Chairman Mr Michael Charlesworth said. “We look forward to him returning to the Mariners from Vegalta Sendai for Hyundai A-League season ten.”