Melbourne Football

A-League News Thread

mus-28

Do people think that this "erase racism" round actually achieves anything? Seems to me that we have taken this "round" idea from AFL, and I'm a bit sceptical myself...

These days it seems as if almost every day is labelled as something or other...

Yeah not a fan of the AFL "this week's round label" concept.

In regards to "erase racism round" I'm not sure.  Racism was a problem at sporting events in this country even 20-30 years ago but I'm not sure it is now.

Do people hear racist stuff at A League games?  I don't, but maybe I'm fortunate where I sit?  

Do people think that this "erase racism" round actually achieves anything? Seems to me that we have taken this "round" idea from AFL, and I'm a bit sceptical myself...

These days it seems as if almost every day is labelled as something or other...

Yeah not a fan of the AFL "this week's round label" concept.

In regards to "erase racism round" I'm not sure. Racism was a problem at sporting events in this country even 20-30 years ago but I'm not sure it is now.

Do people hear racist stuff at A League games? I don't, but maybe I'm fortunate where I sit?

Etihad 3-0 derby this year the clowns behind me kept calling Mahazi a "nigger" and "black dog"

Had never seen any of them before, sadly derby really does bring the worst ones out of whatever hole they've been hiding in.

Edited by thisphantomfortress

Pity someone didn't report the scum to security. Not sure where to start but for one its not like black dudes haven't played for Heart and City. I've always associated behaviour like that with the Tards. Pretty sad to hear we've accumulated some of society's barrel scrapings too.

Pity someone didn't report the scum to security. Not sure where to start but for one its not like black dudes haven't played for Heart and City. I've always associated behaviour like that with the Tards. Pretty sad to hear we've accumulated some of society's barrel scrapings too.

The derby specials that we attract are some of the worst kinds of people I've seen at a football game.

Up there with the tards. Just idiots.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

The FFA is finally bringing in full time referees for the coming a league season. Three full time referees will be the first in the history of the domestic game. This is great news, finally FFA conceding that something must be done with the poor refereeing. 

• Like 1

The FFA is finally bringing in full time referees for the coming a league season. Three full time referees will be the first in the history of the domestic game. This is great news, finally FFA conceding that something must be done with the poor refereeing. 

Have a refs thread somewhere or other.  I have been banging on about this for a while (though to be fair i thought the refs weren't quite as bad last season), but if they were ever going to get better they had to be pro.  Stop worrying about what they have coming up next week work wise and focusing on getting better at their craft.

So if by chance either the tards or us reach the grand final it will be played at Etihad. Whilst it'd be good, assuming we make it, to see that many people attend at Etihad, it's well documented that it is a shit stadium for football. AAMI park would be ideal in every way should we make it to the final. 

• Like 1

I don't usually write on forums but - people should expect some developments ~

1) South Melbourne FC will soon establish a new entity this entity will be known as South Melbourne United.
2) South Melbourne United FC will be the name of the organization to bid for a license to the A League
3) South Melbourne United FC will be majority owned by South Melbourne FC but also include Private Investors
4) South Melbourne United FC will wear a White Strip with a Red V. The current SMFC logo will remain.
5) South Melbourne FC will have a team in the Victorian NPL also and they will keep the name South Melbourne FC this team will wear Blue and White and maintain the historical traditions of SMFC.
6) The clubs will play out of Lakeside Stadium in Melbourne. South Melbourne United in the Summer A League Season and South Melbourne FC in the Winter NPL season.
7) I believe there is substantial support for this both in Victoria and the Football Authorities in Sydney as it would give the league 4 extra derbies in Melbourne per year.

Lol

I don't usually write on forums but - people should expect some developments ~

1) South Melbourne FC will soon establish a new entity this entity will be known as South Melbourne United.
2) South Melbourne United FC will be the name of the organization to bid for a license to the A League
3) South Melbourne United FC will be majority owned by South Melbourne FC but also include Private Investors
4) South Melbourne United FC will wear a White Strip with a Red V. The current SMFC logo will remain.
5) South Melbourne FC will have a team in the Victorian NPL also and they will keep the name South Melbourne FC this team will wear Blue and White and maintain the historical traditions of SMFC.
6) The clubs will play out of Lakeside Stadium in Melbourne. South Melbourne United in the Summer A League Season and South Melbourne FC in the Winter NPL season.
7) I believe there is substantial support for this both in Victoria and the Football Authorities in Sydney as it would give the league 4 extra derbies in Melbourne per year.

Lol

I'd be happy to take whoever wrote this' 60 euros for the day and give him 100/1 odds on it happening.

Yeah, South Coast Wolves making their run at an A-League license for 2017. They've been playing at WIN Stadium for the past two seasons now and are reverting back to Wollongong name with a new badge. They've also been chasing up lots of local corporate support.

Wollongong in the league would be mad (and a good away trip) but I can't help but feel Newcastle and Central Coast's respective financial situations may dampen the chances of a successful bid eventuating. 

crestSimplified_shine.png

Looks like an A-League standard logo to me

I'd put an A-league club in Wollongong before Gosford without even hesitating. Out of Wollongong and Newcastle, it would be a very tight call. A lot of similarities and a similar level of potential. Newcastle has shown us if you have the right ticket price, you can get good crowds, so if the bid is good then it's worth considering.

But seriously get rid of the cap so these teams don't hold back the financially stronger big city teams (us, visitors, sydney). 

With only 10 clubs you're going to have to have either a two single rounds of 9 matches each (too little football) or two double rounds of 18 matches each (but FFA not game to try to take on AFL to any great extent). If you don't have one or the other, you end up with an unequal fixture as in the AFL.

Not a good idea with the present number of A-League clubs.

The article also mentions that hoary old chestnut of promotion and relegation. Relegation from the A-League would mean clubs essentially going out of business, and any promoted club would find it almost impossible to finance participation in the A-League.

With one or more A-League clubs requiring propping up seemingly every season, now is not the time for this sort of kite-flying.

Likely from his scary fall at the A-League grand final, Football Federation Australia chairman Frank Lowy needed brain surgery.

Football Federation Australia chairman Frank Lowy underwent surgery to correct a blood clot on the surface of his brain most likely suffered from his fall at the A-League grand final.

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/au/news/lowy-undergoes-brain-surgery-after-grand-final-fall

• 2 weeks later...

Should the A-League drop one foreign spot? 

By Nicholas Rupolo, 1 Aug 2015 

It seems over the past few years, the foreign players in the A-League have dazzled in the world’s greatest sport and made it famous in Australia. 

Players like Alessandro Del Piero and Marc Janko have brought the A-League to the attention of the rest of the world, but is five foreign players too much?

Australia recently hosted the Asian Cup in January, in which the Socceroos stole the show in an emphatic and exciting tournament. 

But what was also on display was other players from other nations in our confederation, in which most of them play in Asia or the Asian Champions league. 

The A-League should embrace the same rule given to the Asian Champions League, the ‘3+1 rule’. 

Teams are allowed three foreign players plus one foreign player from an Asian country. This means taking away one foreign player’s spot. 

By implementing this rule, it would give other Asian players the chance to play for more Asian clubs and help the A-League teams to familiarise themselves with the competition.

And also to not crop an important foreign player which detracts from their performance. 

Take Sydney FC for example. They have now filled their five foreign spots with Miloš Ninkovic, Miloš Dimitrijevic, Filip Holosko, Jacques Faty and Mickaël Tavares. 

Three of these players are eligible to play, but the other two aren’t, because none of them are from an Asian country.

This means that two experienced players will not be able to play in the Champions League. This could hurt their performance in the competition.

It would give the A-League an opportunity to embrace the confederation it is in and bring in other Asia-based players. We saw it from Western Sydney with Yusuke Tanaka and Yojiro Takahagi and the Newcastle Jets with Li Ki-je.

As the Whole of Football plan released earlier this year states, “we want football to be the largest and most popular sports in Australia” 

Asia is the future of football, and is quickly becoming one of the game’s most prominent areas. With a large majority of the world’s population and participation rates, it’s no wonder.

This brings into question, should we drop one foreign spot and fill one with a player from an Asian country?

I’d like to hear your thoughts on this topic, one of the most frequently debated of the past few months.

http://www.theroar.com.au/2015/08/01/should-the-a-league-drop-one-foreign-spot/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theroar%2Fsoccer+%28The+Roar+-+Soccer%29

There's enough shit players in the aleague that shouldn't be there, let's now allow even more shit players into the first eleven and make the quality of the league even worse. 

It'd make sense to retain the 5 foreign spots and make 1 of those a player from Asia.

Why? It makes sense for an A-League team playing in the ACL to use one of their foreigner spots on an Asian player. Why force it on the whole league? If the team itself doesnt want to use a visa spot on an Asian player even with the incentive of being able to use them in the ACL it says a lot about the economics of signing Asian players and of what the clubs think about the ACL.

• Like 1