Melbourne Football

A-League News Thread

mus-28

Optus has pulled the plug on its sponsorship of Football in Australia. 

http://au.fourfourtwo.com/news/273089,optus-pulls-the-plug-on-football.aspx

This could either be good if MHFC get someone to do our site properly for once...

Or even worse if they go down a worse Template route: Such as Sporting Pulse or Pitchero.

It will never be good as long as FFA holds a monopoly on clubs in how their website operate. Our website (and the other clubs) will never be good until the club is able to apply its own individuality and culture on it.

• Like 1

This could either be good if MHFC get someone to do our site properly for once...

Or even worse if they go down a worse Template route: Such as Sporting Pulse or Pitchero.

I'll offer to pay for someone to do a better one if they get a template.

My money is on the template

• 2 weeks later...

Central Coast Mariners is prepared to offer Marcos Flores a deal if he is released by Melbourne Victory to accommodate the signing of Greece national team captain Giorgos Karagounis.

It is believed that initial discussions have taken place between Flores’s representatives and officials from the A-League champion, with coach Graham Arnold, holidaying in Thailand, keen to snap up the creative Argentine midfielder.

But there is also interest from an unnamed club from the United Arab Emirates' Pro League for the Argentine who has been told by Victory coach Ange Postecoglou that he is unlikley to figure in his first team plans next season.

Removing Flores from the payroll is key to the signing of Karagounis with Postecoglou saying last week: "

"It's no secret that I'm trying to sign a new marquee and unfortunately it's just the way the system is in Australia that means I have to lose someone to make space."

If Flores opts for the Mariners - where Arnold could build his team around him and the mercurial McGlinchey - he would have to take a significant pay cut.

It's believed Flores commands $500,000 at Victory and he would have to accept around half that figure where he to head to Gosford, making the cash-rich Emirates a juicier proposition should a firm offer be tabled.

Arnold, whose only other visa players are New Zealand international McGlinchey and Englishman Nick Montgomery, is a long-time admirer of the 2010-2011 Johnny Warren medallist who returned to the A-League last season at Victory after an ill-fated stint with Chinese outfit Henan Jiaye.

Flores, 27, snubbed former club Adelaide United to join Victory but the deftly-skilled play-maker had a frustrating season under Postecoglou – often being played out of position – and will want to be playing regular football in 2013-2014, rather than facing rare cameos at Victory.

Flores made 22 appearances for the club last season and scored four goals.

Striker Matt Simon is back at Bluetongue Stadium after his injury-marred stint in the K- League Classic with Chunnam Dragons.

The capture of Flores would be a signal of intent from Arnold as seeks to remould his side following a raft of departures in the hunt for back-to-back A-League championships.

Meanwhile, 36-year-old Karagounis – who has been released by Fulham – is not expected to make a final decision on his future until the end of next week.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1156105/Mariners-move-to-snap-up-Flores

even at $250k he'd be a massive gamble for CCM as they're pretty frugal with their money. Flores looks a shadow of the player he was before he went to China, he was a classy player who used to make things look easy, now he makes the easy look difficult.

The whole theory of him struggling because of being played out of position would be fair if he was still making passes, not having shit 1st touch, etc. Now he just looks like your average A-League player, not a guy who once carved the league apart.  

I hope he stays with them. And then what?...

Peter, I don't know how they do it. But presumably they buy out the remainder of his contract with sufficient inducements to get him off the books numerically although I understand that he remains on the books financially for the duration of his original contract. But the latter doesn't matter if he's their foreign marquee because it means they're already over the salary cap.

According to Wikipedia only MHFC, CCM and WP do not have a marquee of any description. MV and Bling FC both have two - each has an Australian and a foreign marquee.

Edited by jw1739

• 3 weeks later...

Perth coach Alistair Edwards has signed his other son Ryan Edwards. Fucking nepotistic West Australians.

Lol - So Western Australian,

Before 1980 there was basicly only really two families in Perth, one voted and represented Labor the other Liberal.

And they were both as racist and as corrupt as each other.

Where on earth do Sydney get the money for this sort of thing?

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/news-display/sydney-fc-confirms-busy-italian-schedule/71752

Must've sold off their wheelie bins.

They're certainly giving me the impression that they really mean business this season, along with a couple of other clubs who are really ramping up during the pre-season.

Where on earth do Sydney get the money for this sort of thing?

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/news-display/sydney-fc-confirms-busy-italian-schedule/71752

Must've sold off their wheelie bins.

They're certainly giving me the impression that they really mean business this season, along with a couple of other clubs who are really ramping up during the pre-season.

And Gai Waterhouse's horses are always set to dominate the Spring Carnival on their Sydney form each year as well...

• Like 1