Melbourne Football

Eli Babalj back to MHFC

MHFC19

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/eli-babalj-could-return-to-melbourne-heart-from-red-star-belgrade/story-e6frfg8x-1226557410409

" SOCCEROO Eli Babalj could be set for a shock return to Melbourne Heart within days.

The Sunday Herald Sun understands Serbian club Red Star Belgrade is yet to pay the final instalment of the $400,000 transfer fee, which was due last month.

While failure to pay the entire transfer fees seldom leads to a return to a player's original club, Heart inserted a contractual clause stipulating Babalj's return should Red Star fail to pay the full amount.

Heart, which sold Babalj in June, is believed to have received slightly more than $300,000, meaning Red Star owes the A-League club just under $100,000. Red Star is in financial strife.

The striker returned for Red Star's mid-season break a fortnight ago but has remained in Belgrade while the rest of the squad is in Turkey for a mid-season camp. The Serbian season resumes late next month.

He has been in regular contact with Heart officials this week. The Heart board this week sanctioned a long-term deal to be offered to Babalj should he return.

Babalj, 20, has made just six appearances for Red Star, all from the bench. Alarm bells were ringing when Robert Prosinecki, the coach who signed him, was sacked on the eve of the season.

New coach Aleksandar Jankovic signed two new strikers and Babalj has been left on the outer. Babalj's return would be a huge boost for Heart coach John Aloisi in his bid to have Heart finish in the top six.

He scored nine goals in 22 A-League games last season after missing the opening month with injury and then made his Socceroos debut last November against Korea.

Midfielder Vince Grella will train with the squad this week, which could be timely given Heart will lose skipper and playmaker Fred for four weeks with a quadricep injury suffered in Friday night's 2-0 win against Adelaide. "

Absolutely crazy! Best news of the season by far. Babalj looks almost certain to be back in the red & white in days!

I just wonder if the club can hold Babalj AND Tadic in the same XI?!

Edited by MHFC19

Hmmmm i dunno how to feel about this. Would be happy to have him back but tadic has been playing well by himself.

Maybe have eli come off the bench?

I'd imagine that for the first few games he'd replace Tadic coming off the bench then possibly play along side him but who knows.

I wouldn't worry about Tadic being effected by the move. Depth is the key to going deep into the finals. It's defiantly a positive.

Thought this would be the case. I posted this when the deal was first announced.

The other thing to consider for Babalj and the club is that Red Star has not paid its players for a month and they are owed massive amounts of money. They have actually been striking..

Heart might be waiting a while for their transfer fee.. :mellow:

Our club actually deserves a lot of credit for putting these clauses in because otherwise they would never have gotten the transfer fee, the sell on fee or Eli.

If he comes banck then it is up to Aloisi to make it work. Babalj won't be fit. Hasn't played football for months and got left out of training camp with the squad. Please not Tadic on the wing.

Would like to see him replacing Jos at about the 60-70 minute mark (depending on circumstances) until he is fit and then try them both up front. I believe it could work.

Will be interesting to see us play with 2 up front. I'm guessing the wingers wouldn't be as attacking. I think having Germano & Garcia as our two middle men will work. Germano more defensive while Richie plays box to box. I'm also guessing this will cause us to play a more direct brand as we won't be able to boss the midfield like we have most games this season. Bring it.

According to latest articles in Serbia, Red Star would like to keep him but the sports director is saying that Babalj returning to us is the most probable outcome.

What happens to the initial money that they paid? Do we keep it?

i think some one posted on the forum when the deal happened that we would keep the money if such a situation arose