Melbourne Football

Eli Babalj back to MHFC

MHFC19

Just to throw a spanner in the works... No (minimal) fees have been sent to the club. Eli to come back this week. In turn, he is still registered as a heart player for the next two months. As he is still training, twice a day, he is fit and ready to fire. If he arrives early enough, he will come off the bench at the derby and probably play in the youth team this weekend.

as much as eli did score many goals, he did miss a lot of chances some particularly easy

This.

I'll now admit I was not exactly disappointed he left. Idea of the transfer $$ coin was worth it for what he offers.

I think TBH we all held him in high regard because no one in our fucking side could shoot or score last year..... we tried to walk the ball in everytime. Made Eli's odd goal look like fantastic stats.

But thinking about how many he used to miss, I'm still not convinced. Fingers crossed having Garcia playing him through this year should help.

At worst he bolsters our ranks and reduces reliance on MacAllisatair. Onwards and upwards!!

as much as eli did score many goals, he did miss a lot of chances some particularly easy

This.

I'll now admit I was not exactly disappointed he left. Idea of the transfer $$ coin was worth it for what he offers.

I think TBH we all held him in high regard because no one in our fucking side could shoot or score last year..... we tried to walk the ball in everytime. Made Eli's odd goal look like fantastic stats.

But thinking about how many he used to miss, I'm still not convinced. Fingers crossed having Garcia playing him through this year should help.

At worst he bolsters our ranks and reduces reliance on MacAllisatair. Onwards and upwards!!

He is the clubs leading goalscorer at 20 years of age...

Yeah, he missed more than he would have liked, but he buried a few as well. His finishing will improve with experience.

I for one was shattered that we were forced into selling him, and will be stoked to have him back.

ffs our support sometimes :droy: one of the most skillful and talented young players to ever come through our ranks is potentially coming back and we're worrying about the chances he missed. we want the club to do something then when they do it's not good enough for us!

he will come back hungrier than ever to succeed - he loves the club and with a midfield that can actually pass, he will destroy.

Like. Like. Like. Like. Like.

With Fred going down I would play a 4-2-1-3 with Tadic effectively playing like an AM / false 9 role and aggressively using Babalj/Willo/RG up front. Watching Tadic, he is really good with the ball at his feet and incredibly creative. I know he got a headed goal on the weekend, but his ability to win the ball aerially and hold the ball up is average at best. If he tired in midfield rotate him with RG onto a wing for brief spells - we all know RG has an incredible work ethic. The quality of our attacking front four would probably be the best in the league. Gol Gol as a sub and unfortunately youth team for DM.

• Like 1

I wasn't as big as fan of babalj as some people, but didn't think he was poor or anything, but can't see how this would be anything but a positive.

I can't see how we would get a better forward than him at the moment. And we will either get a good young striker for while or have a player to sell again. Win win !!

Oh wait, we should go back to playing hoffman up front !! :blink:

ffs our support sometimes :droy: one of the most skillful and talented young players to ever come through our ranks is potentially coming back and we're worrying about the chances he missed. we want the club to do something then when they do it's not good enough for us!

he will come back hungrier than ever to succeed - he loves the club and with a midfield that can actually pass, he will destroy.

Have to agree with that. Even though there were times were he would try to do too much, or sky a shot over the crossbar, nobody except him looked dangerous in front of goal last season

Both Tadic and Babalj are average when it comes to aerial ability, in fact Babalj is even worse than Tadic in that department, so don't really see that as an argument for Tadic to play behind Babalj.

Tadic's goal against adelaide was a textbook header...i think he's decent in the air. Mind you our corners and set pieces are disgraceful 99% of the time so we haven't really given players like tadic and babalj the best of service in the air to prove themselves.

Babalj is the type of player where whenever he has the ball in the penalty box he always looks dangerous and makes things happen. Not easy to find a player like that, so i would be over the moon if he returns. Might have to buy a new babalj top with the number 7?

Tadic is good in the air rofl, contests every ball that goes his way and has a good success rate...

he has won 19 aerial contests out of 49..

lol you're reading way too far into the stat, by contest and good success rate I mean exactly that, contesting the opposition for a) a risky header or b ) a turnover.

The only players who are going to win more than 50% of contested aerial balls are guys over 6 foot 5.

Edited by DutchPride
  • Like 1

Rofl at people slagging him off for missing chances in his first proper year as our main man up front.

If he stayed another year, Aloisi would have brought in the necessary players to compliment him and we would have been able to afford another midfielder instead of Tadic - and he would probably be leading the goal scoring charts this season.

Looking foward to having him back. Hopefully he and Tadic form a deadly Balkanite strike force.

Apparently Stoke City were interested in signing Babalj on a senior contract in May, but he wouldn't have been granted a VISA because he had not featured for the national team...

Interesting, maybe a second transfer fee coming in the near future?

Edited by LR9

Apparently Stoke City were interested in signing Babalj on a senior contract in May, but he wouldn't have been granted a VISA because he had not featured for the national team...

Interesting, maybe a second transfer fee coming in the near future?

i'd say a healthy transfer fee if that was to eventuate