Melbourne Football

RD 7: Bankstown Kebab Association VS Melbourne

strider

Standard tbh we could all see it coming a mile away. Good possesion based game I must admit the last 20 or so minutes but their were a number of times we could've actually gone in for the kill and whipped a ball in or taken on a man to create a chance but we were way too conservative. Was frustrating to watch since we weren't actually looking to score but we had them on the ropes and they look rattled but we literally went no where with it.

Probably the result both teams deserved in the end. Was actually quite impressed with the way we held the ball and defended after the goal, unfortunate it came to nothing in the end. Hard to pick a motm tho, pretty pedestrian game on the whole. 
Thought Brattan was shithouse when he came on, and Risdon scored an own goal in the late game : wtf was in the water in thailand that turned everyone into spuds?

18 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Probably the result both teams deserved in the end. Was actually quite impressed with the way we held the ball and defended after the goal, unfortunate it came to nothing in the end. Hard to pick a motm tho, pretty pedestrian game on the whole. 
Thought Brattan was shithouse when he came on, and Risdon scored an own goal in the late game : wtf was in the water in thailand that turned everyone into spuds?

I think from memory this time of year you see alot of shit games because the weather starts to get warmer and players arnt used to it. Thats what I thought last night anyway 

44 minutes ago, Dylan said:

This seems strange but I am just happy we didnt lose after playing so badly.  Hopefully now that Colazo is back we play with two strikers 

4th most experienced manager in the leagues history who is an import with arguably one of the best sqauds on paper the leauge has ever seen. "I am just happy we didnt lose"

Perfect summary of this club 

As much as JVs is to blame I'm not going to let some players off the hook.

Caceras was awful, worst player on the pitch and has been all season.  Malik not much better.  So where is the midfield creativity going to come from when Kilkenny is playing CB AND CM, and Cahill is no AM?

And then you have Chapman with two team mates to pass so he bisects the two over the touchline.  Jacobsen wasn't going to be outdone so he nails a 45 metre pass 6 meters above the touchline.

A team effort of shitness by everyone.

1 hour ago, Alexxxandro said:

Oh shit you weren't joking in the JVS out thread. I'm not even going to read the rest of your post.

Listen Bud, you can blame JVS for the formation, the tactics and the motivation.

You can't blame him for the total shitness of Caceras and Malik-Kilkenny doesn't seem to have a problem doing both their jobs for them under JVS the guy y'know can play

• Like 1

This game confirms my theories of a year ago yet again.

We are not good enough to defend with high possession in our back third, we need to get the ball out of our half, restructure, and defend, wait for the error and counter with only a few players. 

Let the opposition press in possession to try and score, wait for the error, and counter against a weakened defence.

This is the 3rd match we have conceded a goal the same way. Clear the damn ball out of defence, restructure, and let them press, it's not that hard.

When with A league teams learn this?

1 minute ago, playmaker said:

This game confirms my theories of a year ago yet again.

We are not good enough to defend with high possession in our back third, we need to get the ball out of our half, restructure, and defend, wait for the error and counter with only a few players. 

Let the opposition press in possession to try and score, wait for the error, and counter against a weakened defence.

This is the 3rd match we have conceded a goal the same way. Clear the damn ball out of defence, restructure, and let them press, it's not that hard.

When with A league teams learn this?

Give me another Kilkenny and piss off Malik and Caceras and we would be.

3 hours ago, Kiro Kompiro said:

As much as JVs is to blame I'm not going to let some players off the hook.

Agreed. He can't be telling each player every second of the match where he should be or what he should do with the ball. Just another season where we are throwing away point after point. Other teams only have to restrict us to a maximum lead of one goal with 20 minutes to go and they can be reasonably confident that they can still get something out of the game.
However, I still want to see a new coach in as soon as possible. The problem is that we know things won't change under JvS. With a new coach the hope is that at least they might.

Incidentally, our overall record against Wanderers is still appalling: Played 13, Won 2, Drawn 3, Lost 8.

Edited by jw1739

I can accept the 1st half, they were better, we were poor, but once you take the lead and you see the opposition has lost all confidence, they aren't even pressing the ball and they're basically inviting you to kill them off and you don't take it, that's where I draw the line. Any late Wanderers goal should have been nothing more than a consolation, but week after week we leave the door open for a late heartbreaker, we were inches away against the jets last week as well.

we will need to be at least 2 goals up against Sydney in the cup final to have a chance of winning, because you just know that last half hour the ball is gonna be flashing past Sorensens goal every 2 minutes.

• Like 1

Why was Bouzanis starting?

He was clearly carrying the injury coming into the match, aggravated it doing nothing more than routine goalkeeping, and was clearly in a lot of pain. If he was substantially better than the reserve GK I understand the risk, but he isn't, so we gambled a starting spot on an already injured player for no reason.

26 minutes ago, The Aardvark said:

Why was Bouzanis starting?

He was clearly carrying the injury coming into the match, aggravated it doing nothing more than routine goalkeeping, and was clearly in a lot of pain. If he was substantially better than the reserve GK I understand the risk, but he isn't, so we gambled a starting spot on an already injured player for no reason.

How do you know he was previously injured ? 

27 minutes ago, The Aardvark said:

I don't recall there being any instances that seemed likely to have provided it in the match prior, and our players tend to have a bit of a habit of playing up any injury they suffer in a match anyway so I doubt I missed it.

Bulut pushed Jakobson into Bouzanis when he came out to collect the ball, think he got a foot into his kidney.