Melbourne Football

Daniel Arzani

jeffplz

5 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

JW is old. You see back in the dya the plantations of Latin America, the Caribbean and what is now the southern United States were worked by slaves. 

Yea mate ive played Assassin's Creed Black Flag

@jw1739

How long you been a slave owner in the Caribbean?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, haz said:

But also because van Dijk was playing against decent attackers in the EPL with Southhampton.

Of course mate, it all contributes. Difference is that as soon as you turn up at the EPL party your ceiling is far higher, we couldn't get £50m for a winger if he scored 50 goals in 2018, Watford just got £50m for a winger that scored 0 in 2018. That's what we are dealing with here.

Manchester City player sounds better than Melbourne City to these cashed up poms, as irrelevant as it sounds, and is, given your link.  

Option to buy, knowing our transfer model, that likely means <£10m.

Looks like City just after a quick profit rather than really growing him and really increasing his value. Pure business, poison. Would rather see him just go straight to a club who really wants him, cut out this middle man shit. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Celt said:

Looks like City just after a quick profit rather than really growing him and really increasing his value. Pure business, poison. Would rather see him just go straight to a club who really wants him, cut out this middle man shit. 

I don't think it will be too long before clubs will be prevented from doing this sort of thing, or some sort of limit will be imposed on the number of players per club. Manchester City are making a meal of it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Celt said:

I think City believe he can develop playing for Celtic. Otherwise they would have loaned him to another club. I would personally have preferred if he had stayed at Melbourne another season. However, if Arzani wanted to move to Europe, then City did the right thing by signing him and loaning him out, rather than lose him.

I believe he will be very successful at Celtic and it will be interesting to see what happens if he is.

• Like 1

Does anyone know how Man City Youth Fare? How many progress to Man City seniors or get loaned/sold?

The way I see it that Man City, Man U, Chelsea, etc. don't actually develop players for their senior team. Instead, their youth players are sold to other teams and if they become required they get bought back.

51 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

Celtic is such a meh club in a meh league  to go to, he might of well stayed here 

Couldn't disagree more, for many reasons that I can't be bothered going into them all. Look at his age, the location of the league he's in, the exposure he will get and the advantageous stepping stone he will now have into higher level European football. 

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, mus-28 said:

As much as it's a one horse race to the title at least it's a 36 game season plus Cup Competitions so he'll have plenty of opportunities to develop his game.

20 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Couldn't disagree more, for many reasons that I can tbe bothered going into them all. Look at his age, the location of the league he's in, the exposure he will get and the advantageous stepping he will now have into higher level European football. 

Was about to post the same.

Much longer season, with a much better closer exposure (to other leagues and European Cup comps).

Given his body type / likelihood to get chopped, I'm glad it's not the championship at his age & the fact his first proper run of senior team games came 6-7 months ago

Sad to see him go through

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

Celtic is such a meh club in a meh league  to go to, he might of well stayed here 

Ranked 47th in UEFA. Not where I expected he'd go - I thought more likely to The Netherlands - and Glasgow could be a bit of a culture shock. But he's one of "ours" so let's wish the lad all the very best and hope that he can realise his dreams in due course.

• Like 5

Celtic on cusp of two-season loan deal for Daniel Arzani as Australian edges closer to Manchester City switch 

• He was in England on Friday undergoing a medical ahead of £280,000 move
  • Daniel Arzani will join Manchester City permanently before being loaned out 
  • Celtic will have an option to sign Arzani on a permanent basis if his move works 

By STEPHEN MCGOWAN FOR MAILONLINE

PUBLISHED: 09:10 AEST, 4 August 2018 | UPDATED: 09:10 AEST, 4 August 2018

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

View comments

Celtic are poised to tie up a two-season loan deal for Australian World Cup winger Daniel Arzani before facing AEK Athens in the Champions League on Wednesday.

The 19-year-old playmaker was in England on Friday night undergoing a medical before a £280,000 permanent move to Manchester City.

Is Celtic the best place for Arzani after this comment from Rodgers (Sunday Herald)

Brendan Rodgers has revealed he is monitoring Patrick Roberts's situation at Manchester City and admitted the winger could return to Celtic for a third spell after the 21-year-old hardly featured in the English champions' pre-season tour of the United States.

That means there will be Forrest, Sinclair, Roberts, Johnston (their youth winger(19 years)) and Arzani competing for two places. 5 into 2 does not go or 5 into 3 if one of them is on the bench

7 hours ago, thisphantomfortress said:

They play in a pub league and might play champions league. Big crowds and some history doesn't mask the fact Scottish football is an absolute piss take

Your parent club seem to have trust in the league...The amazing EPL's 7th placed side just needed extra time to knock a pub league side out of the Europa League, not bad. 

Anyway, player development is not all about the quality of the league, we know we don't play in an elite league, there is £23m in prize money split between the 12 member clubs in Scotland, you get a £100m for being relegated in England, go figure. 

We have infrastructure, training day in day out with good players, top coaches and play at a level that does allow players to develop, no matter what pommy newspaper your reading. There's a reason PSG sent their Euro Champ U17 golden ball winner on loan to Celtic, there's a reason Arzani is on his way.  

Edited by Celt
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Celt said:

Your parent club seem to have trust in the league...The amazing EPL's 7th placed side just needed extra time to knock a pub league side out of the Europa League, not bad. 

Anyway, player development is not all about the quality of the league, we know we don't play in an elite league, there is £23m in prize money split between the 12 member clubs in Scotland, you get a £100m for being relegated in England, go figure. 

We have infrastructure, training day in day out with good players, top coaches and play at a level that does allow players to develop, no matter what pommy newspaper your reading. There's a reason PSG sent their Euro Champ U17 golden ball winner on loan to Celtic, there's a reason Arzani is on his way.  

Tbh i think most people recognise that Celtic are a decent football team, it's the opposition they play against week in, week out that makes people call it a pub league.

14 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Tbh, I'm not that worried where he goes, I just want the deal done. Reason being, I suspect, that we won't make our final signings, including a marquee, until the Arzani deal is signed off and finalised. 

I doubt this tbh, i think its more likely we have a few better players on the line that are just waiting to see if any better Euro offers come in before the transfer window closes later this week.

Edited by bt50
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

I doubt this tbh, i think its more likely we have a few better players on the line that are just waiting to see if any better Euro offers come in before the transfer window closes later this week.

Likely also very significant, and pretty much unarguable. But given what appears to have happened with clearing  a visa space to sign McCormack only for that to fall through I'd not be surprised if there wasn't some residual caution about committing to a major signing before completing other deals. 

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

@bt50 If it's me that you're using as your source of the closure of the window, I apologise for misleading you. According to this source https://www.fifatms.com/itms/worldwide-transfer-windows-calendar/, the window for men doesn't close until 31st August. I think I was looking at the women's transfer window when I mentioned 9th August.

Edited by jw1739

8 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

@bt50 If it's me that you're using as your source of the closure of the window, I apologise for misleading you. According to this source https://www.fifatms.com/itms/worldwide-transfer-windows-calendar/, the window for men doesn't close until 31st August. I think I was looking at the women's transfer window when I mentioned 9th August.

Not sure who it was, just that someone said it was this weekend. Point remains though tbh, the closing of the European transfer window means the dust settles somewhat for uncontracted players and who is and isnt gettable is then a hell of a lot clearer.

13 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Likely also very significant, and pretty much unarguable. But given what appears to have happened with clearing  a visa space to sign McCormack only for that to fall through I'd not be surprised if there wasn't some residual caution about committing to a major signing before completing other deals. 

Understand 100% what you are saying here, although I'm sure our overlords have learnt their lesson from January. Regardless of that, most marquee signings direct from Europe really arent usually made until September if you look at previous years examples for the same reasons as stated above. Im sure we'd have our finger in a few pies and are negotiating, but its often as other clubs drop out of the race due to tfr window closing that the Aus (and Asian) clubs are able to pounce.

He’s (assuming it’s true) going to a decent club, but it’s become a poor league, made weaker by the collapse of Rangers. If Rogic’s (lack of) development is anything to go, by it’s not a great place to be. 

The one benefit of being there (vs here) is I’m sure training will be of a higher standard.

Personally I’d have rather he went Dutch.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Celt said:

Same coments were made about Huddersfield and the championship 2 years ago. 

• Like 1