Melbourne Football

Daniel Arzani

jeffplz

Watched Celtic (AEK Larnaca and Rangers) in Europa Cup . The Celtic star 19 year old winger Michael Johnston was outstanding. At this moment in time there are at least 4 wingers ahead of him. I hope he gets a chance. But a striker leaving will not improve his chances unless he play in that position.

I know it's early days but it really makes me wonder what happened here, surely NAC Breda or PEC Zwolle (all have CFG connections) in the Dutch league are much better options for loan spills aimed at football development, I get the feeling he got auctioned off to the highest loan bidder.

Of course for his development it would have been much better to stay another year in Australia. I understand that CFG had to pull the trigger & act quick, because other clubs where getting really serious in putting money down for him.

1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

I know it's early days but it really makes me wonder what happened here, surely NAC Breda or PEC Zwolle (all have CFG connections) in the Dutch league are much better options for loan spills aimed at football development, I get the feeling he got auctioned off to the highest loan bidder.

Of course for his development it would have been much better to stay another year in Australia. I understand that CFG had to pull the trigger & act quick, because other clubs where getting really serious in putting money down for him.

I'm no massive SPL fanboy but has anyone actually considered maybe Arzani chose to go to Celtic? 

Now I don't know if Zwolle or Breda were bonafide offers but to choose Celtic ahead of those 2 in particular in a no brainer. 

9 minutes ago, Jovan said:

I'm no massive SPL fanboy but has anyone actually considered maybe Arzani chose to go to Celtic? 

Now I don't know if Zwolle or Breda were bonafide offers but to choose Celtic ahead of those 2 in particular in a no brainer. 

A classic case of ambition outweighing his talent (at least right now) ?

3 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Anyway, it's up to him, his agent, and Manchester City. He's no longer our player since he signed for Manchester. 

I think Manchester have agreements with clubs such as NAC Breda that limit the number of loan players at anyone time. AFAIK the link to Zwolle is only via JvS - nothing more formal than that.

Also every import youth player at a club such as Breda will mean one less place for a local youth player. Those clubs are like us - they don't have unlimited cash to splash around. That's precisely the reason why in Australia we can't have youth visa players - we would choke off the development routes for locals.

IMO while it would have been nice to have DA tearing it up for us this season, we've done well to receive a credit of A$2.3m from his transfer to Manchester.

2 hours ago, haz said:

Its been 2 weeks. He was hardly fit enough to play 90mins of HAL football, and had just been sitting on his arse for 1-2 months.

Relax

Did people really expect Arzani to walk into the starting XI at Celtic? Truly?

To be honest I reckon if he can get in the side by January he’s done well. He’s not in the boondocks now and will have to get truly fit and deliver the goods game after game until the gaffer realises he’s got no choice but to play him.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, haz said:

Its been 2 weeks. He was hardly fit enough to play 90mins of HAL football, and had just been sitting on his arse for 1-2 months.

Relax

If the boy has any ambition to play at the top, he should not be sitting on his arse for 1-2 months. He should be keeping himself in peak condition in preparation for the opportunities that lie ahead. If he let his fitness drop so far, he has been badly advised or not advised at all.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Inchcolm said:

If the boy has any ambition to play at the top, he should not be sitting on his arse for 1-2 months. He should be keeping himself in peak condition in preparation for the opportunities that lie ahead. If he let his fitness drop so far, he has been badly advised or not advised at all.

You should tell your boy MOH this too ;)

14 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Did people really expect Arzani to walk into the starting XI at Celtic? Truly?

To be honest I reckon if he can get in the side by January he’s done well. He’s not in the boondocks now and will have to get truly fit and deliver the goods game after game until the gaffer realises he’s got no choice but to play him.

No, I don't think anyone did, and IMO that's the underlying issue being discussed here. He won't progress as a footballer unless he plays first team football, and going to a club where he's not likely to be the manager's pick for a starting position doesn't give the feeling that the right choice has been made.

We have had the same issues here - what's the point of signing a visa player and then not having him in the starting XI?

On 26/07/2018 at 10:07 AM, Inchcolm said:

I have no idea where he will go but it will not be Celtic. They only loan multi million pound players who will improve their team e.g. Patrick Roberts, Odsonne Edouard etc. Also they have a good crop of youngsters coming through who they would rather develop.  

I said the above many weeks ago. I was wrong he did go to Celtic. But as the European squad suggests they will develop their own players first. He will struggle to get game time so he may return in January.

Celtic manager Brendan Rodgers says a lack of conditioning is the reason why Daniel Arzani was left out of the Hoops' Europa League squad.

Arzani has joined Celtic on a two-year loan from Manchester City.

The Australian winger has yet to make his first-team debut for the Scottish side.

Celtic had to submit its A and B squad lists to UEFA, a total of 43 players, and the 19-year-old missed the cut.

"He still has a way to go to get up to speed but he has a two-year loan and we are going to support his development," Rodgers said.

"His main priority is to build up his condition, he’s had half a development team game. The style we have is fast-paced and intense so players have to be at that level."

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Celtic manager Brendan Rodgers says a lack of conditioning is the reason why Daniel Arzani was left out of the Hoops' Europa League squad.

Arzani has joined Celtic on a two-year loan from Manchester City.

The Australian winger has yet to make his first-team debut for the Scottish side.

Celtic had to submit its A and B squad lists to UEFA, a total of 43 players, and the 19-year-old missed the cut.

"He still has a way to go to get up to speed but he has a two-year loan and we are going to support his development," Rodgers said.

"His main priority is to build up his condition, he’s had half a development team game. The style we have is fast-paced and intense so players have to be at that level."

Thats what happens when you sit on your arse playing Fortnite

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jovan said:

The kid is 19. 

Interestingly I was having a similar conversation at work regarding some new starters. Alone I argued that once they are over 18 the law treats them as adults and so should we and therefore there is no reason as to why we should not load them with responsibilities. Yes there are matters that a more senior person should be in charge but I was against the current mollycoddling system that we have. By now they should have a clear sense of what is expected of them and the world does not wait for them to mature at a rate of their choosing. The same applies to Arzani.

54 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

Interestingly I was having a similar conversation at work regarding some new starters. Alone I argued that once they are over 18 the law treats them as adults and so should we and therefore there is no reason as to why we should not load them with responsibilities. Yes there are matters that a more senior person should be in charge but I was against the current mollycoddling system that we have. By now they should have a clear sense of what is expected of them and the world does not wait for them to mature at a rate of their choosing. The same applies to Arzani.

Mate thats horseshit. 

Anyone who has played knows that a 18/19 is way below even a 22/23 year old. 

In everyday life yes being 19 is old enough but on a soccer pitch it's very rare. Now just because he was able to match the seniors in A League was never going to guarantee a sniff in Europe. 

Obviously there are exceptions of amazing players becoming regular starters at 18/19 but they are the exception. 

So comparing life to elite level soccer just doesn't make sense to me.

I just think that Arzani received very poor advice once he returned from Russia. Either that, or he didn't listen to the advice he was getting. He'd been told enough times by Joyce that what he was lacking was the capacity to go the full 95 minutes, but to my knowledge he didn't return to training at CFA Bundoora or anywhere else.

The more general discussion on age, maturity and responsibilities? IMO where you sit on that spectrum of opinion is largely governed by how old you are. If you are of an age where you weren't an adult until you turned 21 and there was no such thing as careers advice in schools etc. etc. then you probably think "young people" - whatever that means - today want everything but still demand special treatment. But I'd rather leave that discussion to when I've had half a bottle of pinot and in the morning I won't remember what I've said and nor will anyone else who was there.

2 hours ago, Jovan said:

Mate thats horseshit. 

In everyday life yes being 19 is old enough but on a soccer pitch it's very rare. Now just because he was able to match the seniors in A League was never going to guarantee a sniff in Europe. 

Obviously there are exceptions of amazing players becoming regular starters at 18/19 but they are the exception. 

Keep in mind that places like Belgium and Netherlands have much younger squads than the A-league and it does them no harm 

On 9/8/2018 at 7:42 AM, Jovan said:

Mate thats horseshit. 

The topic was maturity, that is, did he come back to train his arse off or not. The AFL also has young players and some are getting game time and that is a longer match time and more physical sport than football. And some train way and above what is expected of them and two examples are Dyson Heppell and Zach Merrett. Tippa would have been promoted earlier but his attitude to training was somewhat lackadaisical. 

I don't believe that most 19 year olds have the capacity of a 22 year old, and similarly I don't expect a 19 year old to have the experience of a 30 year old. I do expect them to be aware that they have a commitment to make to their careers, to their colleagues and to their employers and I don't believe that their colleagues or employers should carry them if they lack maturity.

And elite level sport are also employers, just like in real life. The careers are different but the sport club pays them to play. So I don't think that in that sense it is a special clause within life in general.

• Like 2

As disappointing as it is, knowing Daniel and following his development closely back here I reckon:

1. Having better players ahead of him fuels him to become better - that seems to be his attitude. 

2. Not being physically ready and needing conditioning to team dynamics, game style and the broader league demands is no surprise. I was on the sidelines when he got that wicked cramp and went down last season. Early on he was cooked by 60". It took him time, but he worked hard and not only played out the season but made the socceroos. 

Give the lad some time. We know he is good, they know he is too. When his body is right he will be conditioned in such a way that will allow him to dominate in the same ways he did here. I am sure another 6 months will see his ascent