Melbourne Football

Memberships/Season Tickets

jw1739

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, Tony999 said:

I read on The Herald Sun that our average attendance this season is currently less than last season.

Depends on how you compare apples with apples. 

We had an extra home derby last year so that distorts the figures. Essentially, attendance not including derbies was ave. 8778.9 last year, and this year its 9345.5. The final against Perth also isnt included in that, nor is the FFA Cup games as they would naturally be a higher figure (finals at least)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bt50 said:

We had an extra home derby last year so that distorts the figures. Essentially, attendance not including derbies was ave. 8778.9 last year, and this year its 9345.5. The final against Perth also isnt included in that, nor is the FFA Cup games as they would naturally be a higher figure (finals at least)

I didn't delve into it and merely just mentioned what the HS said. But since you have done the figures, I don't see it being bad at all considering how inconsistent we are this season and playing shit football for majority of the season. Slowly but surely, exciting seasons ahead.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tony999 said:

I didn't delve into it and merely just mentioned what the HS said. But since you have done the figures, I don't see it being bad at all considering how inconsistent we are this season and playing shit football for majority of the season. Slowly but surely, exciting seasons ahead.

Yeh its lazy journalism, or at least journalism that wants you to think a certain way anyway. Prob worth mentioning we've had two Thursday night fixtures this year (against Newcastle and CCM) as well which also distorts the figure somewhat.

3 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Yeh its lazy journalism, or at least journalism that wants you to think a certain way anyway. Prob worth mentioning we've had two Thursday night fixtures this year (against Newcastle and CCM) as well which also distorts the figure somewhat.

Tom Smithies was the journo titled: "Even Tim Cahill can’t make fans love City" and raves on how we struggle with identity and crowd blablabla

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

Spot on. Your numbers are absolutely correct. I have a spreadsheet of all our home attendances, and apart from a slight blip caused by David Villa's appearances for two home matches, we show consistent non-derby growth season on season. I think that I've posted the figures before. Worth remembering that in S1 our average non-derby attendance was 5,828 and this season so far it's 9,346 as above. Not great but not a total disaster.

In terms of media comments on the impact of Cahill, he was never signed by us to boost our attendances or memberships. He was signed by us as a trade-off with FFA to get concessions from them, and he only came to us because no other club was prepared to stump up the cash to make it happen. FFA even had to make a special player category to accommodate him because we had already committed to two marquees.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Spot on. Your numbers are absolutely correct. I have a spreadsheet of all our home attendances, and apart from a slight blip caused by David Villa's appearances for two home matches, we show consistent non-derby growth season on season. I think that I've posted the figures before. Worth remembering that in S1 our average non-derby attendance was 5,828 and this season so far it's 9,346 as above. Not great but not a total disaster.

In terms of media comments on the impact of Cahill, he was never signed by us to boost our attendances or memberships. He was signed by us as a trade-off with FFA to get concessions from them, and he only came to us because no other club was prepared to stump up the cash to make it happen. FFA even had to make a special player category to accommodate him because we had already committed to two marquees.

Out of likes but yes to both points.

1- yes our average crowds for "normal" games are up. Nothing to get too excited about but up regardless.

2- the ffa wanted cahill more than we wanted him. We did it so the ffa would let us play in our precious "city" blue.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

15 minutes ago, KSK_47 said:

2- the ffa wanted cahill more than we wanted him. We did it so the ffa would let us play in our precious "city" blue.

I'm sure this played a factor, but i think its also a bit of a stretch to suggest that we did it solely for concessions.

With Cahill and the FFA's 'season guest' rule we got a free hit at a third marquee which only boosts squad depth, unprecedented media coverage and a sharp increase in membership. There was significant marketing benefit to obtaining Cahill, and fwiw I think we've seen that, and will continue to even after he finishes at the club. For example, he always tweets/instas about his former clubs; he buys in.
There's no doubt going into the A League season that the hype and coverage was up league wide, as were attendances; the drop off imo is predominately attributed to some questionable choices from head office, the perceived refereeing situation we've found ourselves in and imo, mostly, the fact that Sydney is so far ahead on the table everyone has lost interest a bit.

I signed up my nephew and niece. Pretty much bought them their membership whether they liked it or not and took some bribing to get them to go but now love going and the nephew just started playing football for a team. My brother said he will sign up next season too because of his kids. If we do well in the finals series I don't see why we can't surpass our current membership.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

will be giving them another serve tomorrow, 2 of the benefits of getting a membership are cityzens and 3 post match functions
cityzens is pretty much dead and theres been fuck all talk about these functions, has there been 2 so far with both being recent?
1 was actually inside the stadium and not the cafe, fucking stupid idea

If they want feedback, they'll be getting some regarding the First Touch membership.

What on earth have I paid significantly more for compared to Category A (or w/e its called) membership?

I sit in basically the same spot as them, and have seen no other benefits.

Literally paying a lot  more for nothing

Edited by Tesla

7 hours ago, Thrillhouse said:

will be giving them another serve tomorrow, 2 of the benefits of getting a membership are cityzens and 3 post match functions
cityzens is pretty much dead and theres been fuck all talk about these functions, has there been 2 so far with both being recent?
1 was actually inside the stadium and not the cafe, fucking stupid idea

Regret I gave them a serve too. For both on- and off-field performance. Persisting with a playing style that doesn't produce results, poor coaching, keeping the coach too long, failure to make adequate defensive signings, "Citizens", "City Voice", doing surveys and never seeing any results, the cost of membership - everything I could think of. Also got stuck in on us becoming "Melchester" (thanks Shahanga) instead of "a Melbourne club for Melbourne people."  I know it wasn't all asked for, but these days I'm taking every opportunity to let them know how I feel.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tesla said:

If they want feedback, they'll be getting some regarding the First Touch membership.

What on earth have I paid significantly more for compared to Category A (or w/e its called) membership?

The other one (City Class?) always stood out to me as way better value than the First Touch one tbh

3 hours ago, Tesla said:

I think you'll find there'll be available seats in the Gold (formerly Premium A) bays come membership time. Most of the seats in our (under cover) row towards the back of Bay 28 have not been occupied for most of the season, even for the Derby.

10 minutes ago, malloy said:

City class seems to be wedged in the corner and has a dress code which is not always practical to be able to abide by.

Eh, at the end of the day I'm just as content calling for atrocities on the ref with the rest of the great unwashed.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Regret I gave them a serve too. For both on- and off-field performance. Persisting with a playing style that doesn't produce results, poor coaching, keeping the coach too long, failure to make adequate defensive signings, "Citizens", "City Voice", doing surveys and never seeing any results, the cost of membership - everything I could think of. Also got stuck in on us becoming "Melchester" (thanks Shahanga) instead of "a Melbourne club for Melbourne people."  I know it wasn't all asked for, but these days I'm taking every opportunity to let them know how I feel.

Melchester!  Up there with my other classic "Joey Nepotism"

(outta likes)

• jw1739 pinned this topic