Melbourne Football

Bruno Fornaroli - "El Tuna"

Murfy1

On one hand - Juande Ramos wanted to sign him at Spurs on the advice of Gus Poyet (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1017169/Spurs-boss-Ramos-lining-shock-4m-Uruguayan-striker-Bruno-Fornaroli.html)

On the other hand - Goal named him Top 10 Flop Signings Serie A (http://www.goal.com/en/news/1717/editorial/2009/04/21/1218407/goalcom-special-10-worst-serie-a-transfers-2008-09)

So then we have to wonder is he a flop full stop, or that he just wasn't cut out for Serie A and could get to work in a level like the A League... 

Ahhhh, Juande Ramos. Spurs weren't exactly making the best decisions around that time.

Yeah, because signing big name players and remaining largely shit on the field has done wonders for us thus far.

Villa brought in out highest non-derby crowd.  If he played the derby, Etihad would have sold out, as in REALLY sold out, Medallion club included.  This is good for us , and the laeague as well as it is for MV.

As far as on the pitch goes he salvaged us draws against SFC and Jest.  A better coach would have got more out of him as well.

(No, a fading Kewell who we got as sloppy seconds doesn't count)

Edited by Kiro Kompiro

Villa brought in out highest non-derby crowd.  If he played the derby, Etihad would have sold out, as in REALLY sold out, Medallion club included.  This is good for us , and the laeague as well as it is for MV.

As far as on the pitch goes he salvaged us draws against SFC and Jest.  A better coach would have got more out of him as well.

He did play the derby.

And he was fucking shite in that game.

He did play in the derby, we lost and he looked uninterested.

And what did that do for us?

This obsession with some about bringing in big names to draw bumper crowds mystifies me. You know what attracts crowds? Winners. You know how you produce winners? With quality footballers and quality coaching.

Whether the players we have are big names or not is irrelevant, would you care if we won the league with 11 players you'd never heard of before they pulled on a City shirt? Do you think fans wouldn't start rocking up to watch a successful team just because they had no knowledge of the players before they arrived in this league?

David Villa brought in the largest non-derby crowd ever, then ended up being something for the entire A-League community to laugh at us about whilst we floundered for most of the season, before somehow managing to win a final then getting brought back down to our level by the best team in the league the following week.

Haha, you can't pick and choose, Kewell was brought in as one of these big names you crave, do you honestly think marketing wasn't central to the decision making process there? What about Grella and Kennedy? Damien Duff? Big names (foreign or Australian) haven't drawn crowds consistently because we've been shit on field. Crowds will continue to stay away until this is rectified.

Edited by Embee
  • Like 4

This obsession with some about bringing in big names to draw bumper crowds mystifies me. You know what attracts crowds? Winners. You know how you produce winners? With quality footballers and quality coaching.

Whether the players we have are big names or not is irrelevant, would you care if we won the league with 11 players you'd never heard of before they pulled on a City shirt? Do you think fans wouldn't start rocking up to watch a successful team just because they had no knowledge of the players before they arrived in this league?

David Villa brought in the largest non-derby crowd ever, then ended up being something for the entire A-League community to laugh at us about whilst we floundered for most of the season, before somehow managing to win a final then getting brought back down to our level by best team in the league the following week.

Haha, you can't pick and choose, Kewell was brought in as one of these big names you crave, do you honestly think marketing wasn't central to the decision making process there. What about Grella and Kennedy? Damien Duff? Big names (foreign or Australian) haven't drawn crowds consistently because we've been shit on field. Crowds will continue to stay away until this is rectified.

All I can picture is your rant after the Nux game that got on foxsports and you typing like that.

• Like 1

David Villa brought in the largest non-derby crowd ever, then ended up being something for the entire A-League community to laugh at us about whilst we floundered for most of the season, before somehow managing to win a final then getting brought back down to our level by best team in the league the following week.

Haha, you can't pick and choose, Kewell was brought in as one of these big names you crave, do you honestly think marketing wasn't central to the decision making process there? What about Grella and Kennedy? Damien Duff? Big names (foreign or Australian) haven't drawn crowds consistently because we've been shit on field. Crowds will continue to stay away until this is rectified.

+10.

• Like 1

All I can picture is your rant after the Nux game that got on foxsports and you typing like that.

Wasn't the manager at the time given the role because of his public profile?

Another quality 'big name', PR related move.

like many, i'll reserve my judgement - particularly until the Christmas derby.  players who come with 'average' scoring records can be a dime a dozen; for every Berisha you get a Misfud or Mensur Kurtisi (the bloke who Brisbane signed to replace Berisha and who played like shite).  

you can never completely say that a player will be awesome or crap purely on history.  after all, Brazilian players are typically shite when they go to English clubs; doesnt make them a bad player - theyre just not typically suited to the English game.

the big thing i always look for with these 'unknowns' is their ability to make national youth teams.  doesnt always guarantee success, but certainly with some of the strong footballing nations it helps to identify the better players they had coming through.  cream rises to the top after all. i think of a league players (past and present) like Broich, Delpierre, Carrusca, Ferriera, Bonevarcia, Hernandez, Kisel and Dimitrijević to name a few.  each of these players have gone onto play well in the A League, something i attribute to them being identified early in their career as a good player.  some have had a good career as they got older, some (like Broich) got unlucky with injuries.

Fornaroli hasnt played internationally. this might not mean anything, but reduces my expectations since it makes me wonder what the difference was between him and others at his age when coming through U17s' U20s, etc.  

then again, he is the same age as Suarez and Cavani so maybe its no wonder he didnt make the Uruguayan U20s world cup squad in 2007 so ......

WRONG!

Brisbane never got attendances reflecting their SUSTAINED championship winning success and playing the best club football seen in this country.

Mariners never got the attendances reflecting their SUSTAINED championship winning success and playing the second best football seen in this country.

Sydney FC played in the Grand Final last season and had attendances below that of their rubbish results and rubbish football when ADP was here.

The Jest's crowds went down the toilet after Heskey's first season (he was injured for much of his second)

David Villa brought in the largest non-derby crowd ever, then ended up being something for the entire A-League community to laugh at us about whilst we floundered for most of the season, before somehow managing to win a final then getting brought back down to our level by the best team in the league the following week.

Not sure how to split your quote up, but

1. Fans attendances will increase as wins increase, but it will still be sub 10k.  MV already have the rusted on market, but even they IMO are missing out from where they *could* be at.  But they don't *need* to do any more than they are so they don't.

2. David Villa was a debacle because of inept management by CFG. That fiasco falls at their feet and no-one elses.  That is not how you use a marquee.  ADP is how use a marquee

3. Kewell, Kennedy, Duff? Players on their last legs who can barely make it off their medical bed?  I won't even go there with Grella...

These are not marquees. Kewell before Gala, yes marquee.  Viduka, yes marquee.  The rest?  Not even Cahill at this stage of his career is marquee.

I'm talking guys who command $2 mill plus per season.  Thats a marquee. A Lampard.  A Gerrard, A Drogba.  A Pirlo.

CFG under-estimates how big football can be in Melbourne, choosing to focus on NYC instead.  They are selling their investment short by giving us no-names.

• Like 3

Fornaroli hasnt played internationally. this might not mean anything, but reduces my expectations since it makes me wonder what the difference was between him and others at his age when coming through U17s' U20s, etc.  

then again, he is the same age as Suarez and Cavani so maybe its no wonder he didnt make the Uruguayan U20s world cup squad in 2007 so ......

Soooo maybe he'll turn out to be the Suarez of the A-League...let's hope he's not a biter though...

Soooo maybe he'll turn out to be the Suarez of the A-League...let's hope he's not a biter though...

i dont think the A League has had a Uruguayan (could be wrong but it hasnt had many if the A League has) so it would be pretty bloody funny / ironic though :tooth:

WRONG!

Brisbane never got attendances reflecting their SUSTAINED championship winning success and playing the best club football seen in this country.

Step 1. look up the word correlation in the dictionary

Step 2. Look at Brisbane's average attendance in the last 6 seasons

2009/10 - 8665
2010/11 - 12629
2011/12 - 15963
2012/13 - 13417
2013/14 - 18056
2014/15 - 11660

Step 3. See the correlation between success and attendances.

Step 4 apologise to Embee for your ignorance.

EDIT.

I wasn't going to do the others because of time contstaints but it was getting on my nerves.

Mariners- Lowest attendance this year since 09/10 season.

Sydney- maintained roughly same average now without ADP, due to success

Jets- basket case.

Edited by thisphantomfortress

correct. my bad. +1 internets to you and red or dead

for some reason i thought they spoke Portuguese in Uruguay...

I was fairly certain I knew the answer, but the confidence of your post lead me to reading a whole bunch of articles on the various regional dialects of Uruguayan and Argentinian Spanish. Lunch break well spent

• Like 2

WRONG!

Mariners never got the attendances reflecting their SUSTAINED championship winning success and playing the second best football seen in this country.

Sydney FC played in the Grand Final last season and had attendances below that of their rubbish results and rubbish football when ADP was here.

The Jest's crowds went down the toilet after Heskey's first season (he was injured for much of his second)

Not sure how to split your quote up, but

1. Fans attendances will increase as wins increase, but it will still be sub 10k.  MV already have the rusted on market, but even they IMO are missing out from where they *could* be at.  But they don't *need* to do any more than they are so they don't.

2. David Villa was a debacle because of inept management by CFG. That fiasco falls at their feet and no-one elses.  That is not how you use a marquee.  ADP is how use a marquee

3. Kewell, Kennedy, Duff? Players on their last legs who can barely make it off their medical bed?  I won't even go there with Grella...

These are not marquees. Kewell before Gala, yes marquee.  Viduka, yes marquee.  The rest?  Not even Cahill at this stage of his career is marquee.

I'm talking guys who command $2 mill plus per season.  Thats a marquee. A Lampard.  A Gerrard, A Drogba.  A Pirlo.

CFG under-estimates how big football can be in Melbourne, choosing to focus on NYC instead.  They are selling their investment short by giving us no-names.

You know what's wrong, you using different markets (especially the regional CCM and Jets markets) as direct comparisons to our situation, laughable too to be honest. Especially given there's actually a team in our market to compare ourselves to already, the team with the highest average attendance in the league. And how many glitzy and glamorous marquees have our local rivals had during their existence? Not many, but do you know why people keep going to their games? Because they win.

Melbourne is the most diverse sporting market in the country, there is more scope for large crowds at an A-League game than there are for the likes of CCM, Jets and Brisbane (with Sydney being the only market that can come close in that regard).

Regardless, let's have a look at your theory regarding teams not pulling crowds during succesful periods:

Brisbane:

14/15: 11,660 6th
13/14: 18,056 1st (Champions)
12/13: 13,417 5th
11/12: 15,963 2nd (champions

CCM:
14/15: 7,585 8th
13/14: 9,374 3rd
12/13: 10,018 2nd (Champions)
11/12: 9,505 1st

Sydney:

14/15: 18,050 2nd
13/14: 18,682 5th (ADP)
12/13: 18,687 7th (ADP)
11/12: 11,861 5th

I think the above largely speaks for itself, those teams (with the exception of Sydney, who still pulled ADP sized crowds by, guess what, being a little bit good, they also have a rusted on fan base through previous success) pulled larger crowds when they played well. Brisbane's difference in crowd sizes from good to bad seasons is dramatic. CCM Are a regional team and will never pull large crowds but they get more through the door when they're good.

You're seriously under-selling the intelligence of your average football fan if you think they're going to spend their hard earned, game-in game-out, on a team that hasn't earnt their loyalties aside from trotting out a glitzy former star who's now at the end of the road.

• Like 2

The issue with the Aussie marquee bringing in crowds - is aside from Tim Cahill there is no more players that can bring in the average football fan. Say we miraculously bring in Massimo Luongo next year as Australian marquee, football fans would know and rock up to see him, but it wouldn't draw crowds like when Harry Kewell came home to Victory. No one knows any of the Australian players. So Heart as a gimmick tried to bring home the golden generation to bring the crowds in but it clearly backfired. 

For me, i think the Aussie Marquee spot was used to pretty much draw in the "golden generation" from 06 World Cup era and is clearly outdated.

Think they either need to change that  to a second International Marquee spot or look at the possibility of an Asian Marquee which can include an Aussie Marquee if the club chooses.

Edited by [LIBBA]
  • Like 6

The other issue in the "big name draws crowds" vs "winning draws crowds" argument is that while bringing in the big name may initially result in larger crowds, they will dwindle quickly if you don't perform on the pitch. This was borne out in the Villa situation.

Winning is a slower build to big crowds but you are much better off having people walk away having enjoyed themselves and wanting to come back than walking away saying "at least I saw *marquee* play, but that side is shite".

Step 1. look up the word correlation in the dictionary

Step 2. Look at Brisbane's average attendance in the last 6 seasons

2009/10 - 8665
2010/11 - 12629
2011/12 - 15963
2012/13 - 13417
2013/14 - 18056
2014/15 - 11660

Step 3. See the correlation between success and attendances.

Step 4 apologise to Embee for your ignorance.

I'm calling BULLSHIT on your figures.

2013/14 their H and A average was about 15k.  Their highest attendance was 22k when ADP played.  Their other biggest attendances were against MV,as is for most other clubs including us.  Finals sell themselves: they got  28k for a semi against MV and 51k for the Grand Final.

Compare to the previous season when they finished 5th after H and A and no home final their average was 13.5 k 

===> a championship winning team got them 10% increase in crowds, about another 20k tickets over the whole season. PFFT.

QED.

No apologies necessary.

I'm calling BULLSHIT on your figures.

2013/14 their H and A average was about 15k.  Their highest attendance was 22k when ADP played.  Their other biggest attendances were against MV,as is for most other clubs including us.  Finals sell themselves: they got  28k for a semi against MV and 51k for the Grand Final.

Compare to the previous season when they finished 5th after H and A and no home final their average was 13.5 k 

===> a championship winning team got them 10% increase in crowds, about another 20k tickets over the whole season. PFFT.

QED.

No apologies necessary.

They say ignorance is bliss, you must be a very happy man.

If you do decide to come and live in the real world please refer to my source below.

http://www.ultimatealeague.com/records.php?type=att&season=2014-15

• Like 1

The other issue in the "big name draws crowds" vs "winning draws crowds" argument is that while bringing in the big name may initially result in larger crowds, they will dwindle quickly if you don't perform on the pitch. This was borne out in the Villa situation.

Winning is a slower build to big crowds but you are much better off having people walk away having enjoyed themselves and wanting to come back than walking away saying "at least I saw *marquee* play, but that side is shite".

Why are people quoting the Villa situation as anything remotely relevant to a season long marquee?  His time with us was a shmozzle every bit as Kewell's time was with MV.

As far as people coming if you keep winning, the uplift is of the order of 10-20 % and dies as soon as you start losing, as you surely will.  And then you're in for the long wait -Victory took 5 seasons-till you get there again.  Whereas you can buy a new marquee every 2 seasons, but you gotta get the RIGT marquee and use them right.

They say ignorance is bliss, you must be a very happy man.

If you do decide to come and live in the real world please refer to my source below.

http://www.ultimatealeague.com/records.php?type=att&season=2014-15

Yeah I don't give a shit about that site, I went through all of their home attendances for the season and their H and A is what I said is and the average of 18k comes only if you include finals.

You must be the most blissful person in the world.

Yeah I don't give a shit about that site, I went through all of their home attendances for the season and their H and A is what I said is and the average of 18k comes only if you include finals.

You must be the most blissful person in the world.

Finals are the direct result of success and thus increase crowd numbers as shown by the averages above.

Frankly I personally believe that the truth lies somewhere in the middle. I just wanted to prove you wrong because you are "holier-than-thou" twat. A point that I think has well and truely been proven.

Finals are the direct result of success and thus increase crowd numbers as shown by the averages above.

Frankly I personally believe that the truth lies somewhere in the middle. I just wanted to prove you wrong because you are "holier-than-thou" twat. A point that I think has well and truely been proven.

Finals are run by and for the benefit the FFA.

But..... but.... "finals brings new fans for the following season".  Well no, look at Roars average this season after their 2013/14 title winning season- their worst since 2009/2010.

Yeah that would have worked if you ummm...proved me wrong.  Since you didn't, that makes you the twat.

Finals are run by and for the benefit the FFA.

But..... but.... "finals brings new fans for the following season".  Well no, look at Roars average this season after their 2013/14 title winning season- their worst since 2009/2010.

Yeah that would have worked if you ummm...proved me wrong.  Since you didn't, that makes you the twat.

I like the fact you argued a point I didn't even make. :up:

Anyway I'm off to bang my head against a wall, seems more productive than this.

• jw1739 locked this topic