Melbourne Football

Matchday 20: vs Brisbane @AMMI park 5pm Sunday 23 February

Fentonthescreamingcactus

Great game, whole stadium was flat for 80 mins. Good result, still 6 points off 6th :(

That's nothing considering the woeful form of Central Coast along with the inconsistent Sydney FC still being in the top 6. Throw the lacklustre Perth and Newcastle sides in the mix too and we're looking really quite threatening.

Wellington is the real danger side if we want to make finals imo.

Props to everyone involved today, both on and off the park. Sitting through the shit that has been dished up by this club for the past 2 years makes this win, along with our streak so much more enjoyable. It us loyal supporters who stuck through the tough times and payed our hard earned to go watch our boys week in week out, that deserve this win and recent run in form. Absaloutely unbeliavble, electric atmosphere and most intense last 25 minutes in a game in which i can remeber.

Well Done to all who attended and made this so much more special. COYBIR

You're next Victory.

Edited by Victards
  • Like 2

Love being those wannabe Dutch clowns, the insult to QLD they are running out in their oranje. Just back from the game. Very tactical game, we had the better of the first 15 mins, then their pressing forced us back and our players started to look for long balls to much. The break seems to have given JVS time to fix that and both teams pressed hard in the second resulting in lots of turn overs and counter attacks. 

I have got to give credit to JVS. His teams now look to play out in general and we are looking to create goals with or passing and movement. Gone are the days under him of statues like Shroj watching the ball sail over their head. I still haven't got a total handle on his 4-4-2. Ramsey sits out more as a winger whilst Orlando sometimes sits further up the park. But Mass and Germano seem to play as Def mids which would lead you to think there would be an imbalance. But the boys all push up and swap with the two forwards making our midfield constantly rotating. That seems to be making it difficult for other teams to handle us.

• Like 2

Very tactical game, we had the better of the first 15 mins, then their pressing forced us back and our players started to look for long balls to much. The break seems to have given JVS time to fix that and both teams pressed hard in the second resulting in lots of turn overs and counter attacks. 

too true on the long ball, I thought that we had fallen into old habits, we just bypassed the midfield for that 30 minutes

combination of the Hoff and Paddy G did a great job on Broich, he hardly did anything meaningful today

I'll be honest, Brisbane ( at times) dominated us, they always had an option to go to an open player ( and I'm not  talking about just a shuffle across the back to the keeper)

we were well organised defensively,

bottom beats top, a great result

Edited by japiedog

we have probably had our two biggest tests over the past two weeks with welly away and brisi at home and we have past them with flying colours, I cant see anyone stopping us at the moment, the rest of the comp should be very worried and its not a matter of who wins next weeks derby its just about by how much we win it by.

Still room for improvement. We really need to take our chances, we should have converted at least 2 more shots tonight. It was good to see us matching Roar in midfield and this is where the game was fought apart from 20 minutes of the first half when we tried the long ball over the high line far too frequently. This was improved in the second half and we made it hard for Roar to get into a rhythm, especially we were good at cutting out balls to Broich and Berisga who was almost invisible. Our strucure and movement off the ball really shut out most Roar chances. I'm not sure why JVS persists with Ramsay in the starting 11, I'd like to see Mauk or Garruccio start. Players look like they are having fun, they are prepared to run the extra metre for the ball and we haven't had any fitness fadeouts for a while now. JVS really has guaranteed himself an HAL job next season if he wants it because if we let him go he'll be snapped up elsewhere.

Engelaar will be one of the HAL's best signings when he's fit, great touch, vision and distribution.

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 1

What a tustle that was!  I thought Roar had the better of the first half but we dominated the 2nd stanza and i reckon were good value for our win over what is a very classy side.

Engelaar just keeps getting better and I thought "paddy power" did well at the back. 

All in all a fantastic win.

• Like 2

Love being those wannabe Dutch clowns, the insult to QLD they are running out in their oranje. Just back from the game. Very tactical game, we had the better of the first 15 mins, then their pressing forced us back and our players started to look for long balls to much. The break seems to have given JVS time to fix that and both teams pressed hard in the second resulting in lots of turn overs and counter attacks.

I have got to give credit to JVS. His teams now look to play out in general and we are looking to create goals with or passing and movement. Gone are the days under him of statues like Shroj watching the ball sail over their head. I still haven't got a total handle on his 4-4-2. Ramsey sits out more as a winger whilst Orlando sometimes sits further up the park. But Mass and Germano seem to play as Def mids which would lead you to think there would be an imbalance. But the boys all push up and swap with the two forwards making our midfield constantly rotating. That seems to be making it difficult for other teams to handle us.

It is a 4-3-3 not a 442. Similar to the image below, but as you say the middle 3 are a bit more dynamic.

http://the-soccer-essentials.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/4-3-32.png

What a tustle that was! I thought Roar had the better of the first half but we dominated the 2nd stanza and i reckon were good value for our win over what is a very classy side.

Engelaar just keeps getting better and I thought "paddy power" did well at the back.

All in all a fantastic win.

This sums tonight up very well I think. Even though it wasnt the prettiest match to watch, it sort of had the feeling of 1 vs 2. I've been a fan this season of his but tonight I felt tonight's quality exposed Hoffman at times. Edited by HeartinHobart

Was a fantastic, battling win. As people have said, there were too many long balls bypassing the midfield in the first half. JVS took notice of this and pushed Engelaar higher up at times and from deep free kicks, etc. to hold the ball up in the 2nd half and it worked very well. Still buzzing, bring on the derby!

Hard to say if it's our best win, given, every match has had different obstacles to over come so I'd put this win as big as the rest of them.

I felt we actually had the best part of the first fifteen minutes and roar controlled the middle 15 min. The rest of the game was a much more even battle.

I think nearly every player besides engelaar, who played fantastic again, played well with perhaps some moments where they gave away the ball or free kick at wrongs times. But overall great team effort.

Love being those wannabe Dutch clowns, the insult to QLD they are running out in their oranje.

Me too. We are Brisbane, not Queensland.

You are neither. Your Clubs history is Dutch, your club colours are Dutch, you should embrace that, instead of pretending that is not the case.

• Like 1

I have got to give credit to JVS. His teams now look to play out in general and we are looking to create goals with or passing and movement. Gone are the days under him of statues like Shroj watching the ball sail over their head. I still haven't got a total handle on his 4-4-2. Ramsey sits out more as a winger whilst Orlando sometimes sits further up the park. But Mass and Germano seem to play as Def mids which would lead you to think there would be an imbalance. But the boys all push up and swap with the two forwards making our midfield constantly rotating. That seems to be making it difficult for other teams to handle us.

It is a 4-3-3 not a 442. Similar to the image below, but as you say the middle 3 are a bit more dynamic.

Yeah, That is how I read it at first. But I must be wrong as all the experts say it is a 4-4-2. I can see why they say that as Ramsey doesn't push forwards as much as Mate does.

Oh man. I've gotta be honest - at half-time something possessed me to believe that the best place to watch the game from was my bed. Then I somehow fell asleep, who would've predicted that?

Was the goal any good?

After the last season and a half, playing the top side, it was brilliant!

COYBIR

I guess it is a bit lopsided as you say, but still not really a 4-4-2 in my book.  Also the thing i really noticed tonight was the interchange between Willo and Engelaar, particularly early in the 2nd half.   Basically I think JVS often comes up with approaches that don't really fit simplistic labels.

Yeah, That is how I read it at first. But I must be wrong as all the experts say it is a 4-4-2. I can see why they say that as Ramsey doesn't push forwards as much as Mate does.

The same experts that backed JA :P

• Like 1